Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 11:29   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
7. finally we gave up and connected it directly to the hu to run off it, and to my ABSOLUTE horror, they were outputting the same horrid distortion.
then they fired up the system in a matter of minutes. it was working fine.
the GZs were firing very well through the sony amp.
10 minutes, 15 minutes and then 20 minutes, i started noticing increased treble, lack of bass progressively and then total distortion.

Sanen Acoustics
Quote:
now the fellow connected my gz mk2s to the sony, but there was MASSIVE distortion at even the lowest of volumes, so routed it to the chicago. same issue.i think the gz distortion can be solely attributed to a set of faulty rcas
Sanen does make some rather solid boxes.

Now to get to the bottom of your GZ.

1. Think slowly
2. connect only the HU and the 2 GZ. No amps, no components. Nothing else. Remove all the other wires.
3. If this works connect amp for the GZ.
3a. If it does not PM B&T.
4. If amp with GZ works add front components
5. If all front and rear speakers are ok add sub and sub amp.

To track the distortion only make one change at a time.
Old 18th October 2008, 14:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

1. check
2. did that first thing yesterday morning, only 7950ub+gz mk2
3. did that too

2 and 3 sounded perfect for 15 minutes, then suddenly as i described earlier, the speakers yielded varying amounts of distortion, more from 3 cos of the obvious amplification.

3a. not done that cos he's busy with the av expo
4. not applicable
5. not applicable

system is running only on the electras and the pio sub(and the amp of course). the gzs are being used as of now to fill the gap that my sweet pio 6985s used to occupy!

Last edited by frankmehta : 18th October 2008 at 14:11.
Old 18th October 2008, 17:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

was just thinking coolly about it. can i attribute to the fact that the voice coils in both the gzs are not taking the power and just giving up as soon as they heat up?
could it also be that the power being fed to them is through disgusting boss rcas that build up in resistance as they heat up(sorry for the horrid knowledge about this but these are my assumptions)
or could it be due to the fact that the rca from the hu runs along the same side as the power cables from the battery to the amp? this is not affecting the components and the sub though.
could it also be that the amp is supplying too much power for the gzs and they cant handle it???(its a sony: 60w each from 2 channels is ok i think, they are rated at 120w rms)
or could it just be a faulty batch of gzs that were aboout to pack up but were not being stressed(cos they werent connected to an amp) so they held on. and as soon as they were fed more power, they just gave up?
one more question: i believe it can happen in one of them, how can both exhibit the same distortion at the same time????
mysterious ya

ps: keep in mind that these GZs have run very well for 4 months in MAGMA's i10. here they WERE in fact connected to an kenwood 8401. i played them there and they were souding clean when i bought them. so the issue is not the power here. its something else going horribly wrong. thinking of going to b&t on tuesday but the thing is that the gzs are on warranty from BOOM and so might just go to boom first and discuss this issue.

Last edited by frankmehta : 18th October 2008 at 17:27.
Old 18th October 2008, 22:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

im stuck here.. if anyone can help!
Old 18th October 2008, 23:37   #35
BHPian

as navin says disconnect power wire from battery.remove all rcas from back of HU
connect only (front) op of HU to speakers ( what if something is wrong with the rear op)

play for 20 mins and check for the distortion you describe.\\

gurus- can any stupid installer even manage to mess up a simple connection like this.
( i believe not).
Old 18th October 2008, 23:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
perfect for 15 minutes, then suddenly as i described earlier, the speakers yielded varying amounts of distortion
a short/overloading/bad ventilation => amp overheating =>amp going into thermal protection mode?

frank, when they started distorting , did the amp feel warm?
Old 18th October 2008, 23:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

the problem arises after 20 mins only when playing throught the amp.
it was running off my hu fine for a week where i played it for 4 hours at a time..

@greenhorn: my sony amp is always warm, but thats normal. its been this way since 3 years. nothing abnormal.

@magma: i tried running the speakers off the front preouts. even that doesnt seem to do the trick!
Old 19th October 2008, 00:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i tried running the speakers off the front preouts. even that doesnt seem to do the trick!

You might have busted your pre outs doing so . This *may* void your HU's warranty

another suggestion. lets try to remove the HU from the equation. If you have a stereo to RCA cable and some sort of MP3 player with a headphone jack, try running the amps with the mp3 player connected to the amp

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th October 2008 at 00:18.
Old 19th October 2008, 15:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

ok i shall try that. but now ajaybhai is sorting the issue out when i go to him next. i think tuesday or wednesday ill be going there
Old 19th October 2008, 23:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

another suggestion. lets try to remove the HU from the equation. If you have a stereo to RCA cable and some sort of MP3 player with a headphone jack, try running the amps with the mp3 player connected to the amp

excellent suggestion!

but frank , please do see that your amp is properly grounded and nothing else is connected to this amp except the GZ speakers
Old 19th October 2008, 23:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

hey ppl. i was just asking around in the market when i came across a jbl 1264 limited edition subwoofer that is not very well documented on google, as i dug deep into it. i need someone like sam kapasi from jbl to actually confirm its specs.
because by the specs ive read, its a DVC and a couple of ppl on a few forums in the uk say its a good performer.
whatsay????? anyone with that particular woofer?
i dont want to stretch my budget to a gz. please fill me in on that.. i can buy it on tuesday and go to b&t thats why

ps: im super confused.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post497275
this link says the 1264 is a svc with a picture.

but the pdf i have attached shows a dvc sub with 2, 2ohm coils

Attached Files
File Type: pdf jbl_car_audio_2007.pdf (56.1 KB, 1931 views)

Last edited by frankmehta : 20th October 2008 at 00:06.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. check
2. did that first thing yesterday morning, only 7950ub+gz mk2
3. did that too

2 and 3 sounded perfect for 15 minutes, then suddenly as i described earlier, the speakers yielded varying amounts of distortion, more from 3 cos of the obvious amplification.
now remove the GZs and connect any other good pair of speakers to same termainals. I suspect there might be something wrong with the HU.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

how could that be? the gzs run perfectly fine when running through the HU.
everytime i drive them through the amp, they start acting funny in 15 minutes, could that be an RCA preout problem in the HU? the other components are playing ok
Old 20th October 2008, 12:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

could it be possibly due to a faulty connection from the battery???? im going to have shafiq check it out on wedesday
Old 20th October 2008, 15:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

IMHO it is neither the RCAs, nor the HU or the battery. The amp is at fault - once it heats up, some component is heating up and causing the distortion - connection opening out (faulty solder point), resistor opening up or leaky capacitor. Can be a temperamental temperature protection.

A service person needs to open the amp and hunt with an oscilloscope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks