Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 17:27   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Bus Scene (Discuss new launches and market info here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
But what I do not understand is, if there really is such a rule, then how is Volvo able to sell its 8400?
The Volvo 8400s were exempt from relevant sections of Kerala Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, by a notification issued by the Transport Department. Here is the gazette notification to this respect.

There were multiple "violations" of the rules - including backward facing seats, non provision of a full length partition for the driver (which is a must for Stage carriages), non-standard seat layout, etc.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:44   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I'd read that in Kerala, there is/was a rule that the front door should be behind the front axle, and for that reason, KeSRTC had to modify the bodies of one entire batch of buses.

But what I do not understand is, if there really is such a rule, then how is Volvo able to sell its 8400?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Volvo 8400s were exempt from relevant sections of Kerala Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, by a notification issued by the Transport Department. Here is the gazette notification to this respect.

There were multiple "violations" of the rules - including backward facing seats, non provision of a full length partition for the driver (which is a must for Stage carriages), non-standard seat layout, etc.
Is it fair to call them "violations" when the rules are not being updated with the evolving motor vehicles, transport needs, passenger safety and comfort etc.?

However why the Volvos were exempted and another batch of KeSTRC buses had to be modified is a open question.

Last edited by kiku007 : 27th January 2011 at 19:14. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th January 2011, 19:12   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
This is more a marketing thing than technical thing.

"Run down the competition before throwing it out".
I was asked to clarify what I mean by this in a PM. :-D

We have always seen this all over - it called "giving a dog a bad name before killing it". Highlight minor problems with something you do not like; and then run it down. I guess this is what is happening with AL. Somebody does not like AL.

So minor problems get highlighted. And major issues get swept under the carpet.

Paradoxically, we saw it in the spectrum issues - the corrupt get away scott free, while a lady who was doing a legitimate (lobbying, at least in other countries, is legal) business is behind the bars. It is paradoxical because it is Tatas which is at the receiving end in that case.

Quote:
@Ashley2, what was the issue that the MTC found with the Marcopolos? Is it regarding the positioning of the front door?

I'd read that in Kerala, there is/was a rule that the front door should be behind the front axle, and for that reason, KeSRTC had to modify the bodies of one entire batch of buses.
Not sure that such a rule exists in KL. Cannot recall reading it. May be, my memory is plain bad. Will check and get back in couple of days. Almost all TVS - Irizar built bodies had their front doors in front of the front wheel. And several continue to do so.

Quote:
Not just the Volvo - all SLF / LF buses have the front doors this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Is it fair to call them "violations" when the rules are not be updated with the evolving motor vehicles, transport needs, passenger safety and comfort etc.?

However why the Volvos were exempted and another batch of KeSTRC buses had to be modified is a open question.
Very valid questions.

One rule that is seldom enforced in KL is the one regarding seat width and spacing between the seats - legroom.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:26   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure that such a rule exists in KL. Cannot recall reading it. May be, my memory is plain bad. Will check and get back in couple of days. Almost all TVS - Irizar built bodies had their front doors in front of the front wheel. And several continue to do so.

Not just the Volvo - all SLF / LF buses have the front doors this way.
I know that Exclude SLF from the list though.

Quote:
Very valid questions.

One rule that is seldom enforced in KL is the one regarding seat width and spacing between the seats - legroom.
That's a plain fact. I remember travelling in a Palakkad-Thrissur (private) bus which actually had 2+2 arrangement but an additional single seat was added to each row on the right making it 2+3. And on that fateful day, there was some checking in the Palakkad town, and they were charged for overloading, violating permit and many other offenses. One cop actually got inside the bus and had a peek. The bus would have had at least 55 people sitting IIRC. It was the regular size Viking, and not a 12M. Happened 3-4 years back
Old 27th January 2011, 20:24   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...a Palakkad-Thrissur (private) bus which actually had 2+2 arrangement but an additional single seat was added to each row on the right making it 2+3. And on that fateful day, there was some checking in the Palakkad town, and they were charged for overloading, violating permit and many other offenses. One cop actually got inside the bus and had a peek. The bus would have had at least 55 people sitting IIRC. It was the regular size Viking, and not a 12M. Happened 3-4 years back

Heheh. This is common on long distance (FP, LSFP, express) buses. The vehicle is 2x2 when registered; 2x2 when the annual "test work" is done, and 2x2 when inspection happens. Whiel on on the road, it always 2x3.

Taxes are on basis of seats, so this is common.

OTOH, in short distance, city service buses, reverse happens - vehicles will have 2-3 seats in 2x3 configuration. This particularly true in older vehicles, where one of condition for grant of permits when competition was there for the permit was nubmer of seats. Once the vehicle is on road, the seats would vanish or one or two seats would face the side. This gives more standing room.

Explanation - long distance passengers would not want to stand, and short distance would not care about standing.
Old 27th January 2011, 20:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
Do you mean to say that TML does negative marketing directly targeting ALL in anyway??

I completely doubt this, especially considering the fact the numbers that TML is garnering compared to ALL. And please lets not make such baseless and most likely proofless comments. Lets stick to a discussion of products and not get into any discussion about how ethically companies are run or not.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:37   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it fair to call them "violations" when the rules are not being updated with the evolving motor vehicles, transport needs, passenger safety and comfort etc.?
IMHO, it is "fair" to call them a "violation" of the rule. The KMV was recently updated - especially following a fire accident in Kerala. The rules were modified to ensure that there is a full width metal partition between the driver "cabin" and the passenger section, and that the battery should not be placed inside the passenger section.

Quote:
The Volvos (and SLFs) were exempt, since these buses were built according to AIS 052. This was mandated by the JnNURM funding norms. Since KeSRTC had no option but purchase these buses, and hence they applied to the Transport Department for an exemption.

Now, the question why KeSRTC did not adopt the same design as the TN ones could be raised. However, KeSRTC went for RE models, and a door behind the rear axle is out of question. The JnNURM norms wanted buses to have two doors, and its not good to have two doors between the axles.

Quote:
I guess the amendments to the KMV only says that the driver should have a full width metal partition. Perhaps this could result in not having a door ahead of the front axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Do you mean to say that TML does negative marketing directly targeting ALL in anyway??
I guess BSD only meant "someone" does not like AL - that doesn't mean "a company" does not like AL. Back in the mid 2000s, when the new MD of BEST took charge, his first priority was to badmouth AL, and he went in for TATA buses in the CNG segment. (Not that I say the TATAs are a bad product) Now, BEST is back to ALL.

The recent newsreport about "bad products" from ALL is only "a mountain out of a molehill", and it solely intended at badmouthing the product.
Old 27th January 2011, 23:00   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I guess BSD only meant "someone" does not like AL - that doesn't mean "a company" does not like AL. Back in the mid 2000s, when the new MD of BEST took charge, his first priority was to badmouth AL, and he went in for TATA buses in the CNG segment. (Not that I say the TATAs are a bad product) Now, BEST is back to ALL.

The recent newsreport about "bad products" from ALL is only "a mountain out of a molehill", and it solely intended at badmouthing the product.
Thanks - that appropriately sums it up.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:33   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was asked to clarify what I mean by this in a PM. :-D

We have always seen this all over - it called "giving a dog a bad name before killing it". Highlight minor problems with something you do not like; and then run it down. I guess this is what is happening with AL. Somebody does not like AL.
So minor problems get highlighted. And major issues get swept under the carpet.
Quote:
@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR
Thats right said by BSD.
Here we are not speaking about TML but to people who are misleading the forums and hijacking the threads.
Quote:
I completely doubt this, especially considering the fact the numbers that TML is garnering compared to ALL.
This is the exact problem. Just by seeing the numbers everything is concluded and the actual user experience is completely neglected.
Though I have a huge rspect for TM in various aspects it cannot be at the expense of AL's tradition.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:17   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My statement meant that if my company had 60+% overall market share, I would definitely not go out and resort to negative marketing.
Why would it not resort to such marketing? (I am not claiming they are, but the question is still valid). It wouldn't hurt if they could garner 65% share by such marketing. And, no company is a re-incarnation of Harishchandra.

As stated earlier, there is no talk of a company trying to malign another company, but a few individuals bad-mouthing a product for their own, perhaps, monetary aims. I guess its time we left this talk here, and proceed with the topic.
Old 25th May 2011, 15:45   #326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata vs Ashok Leyland: CV & HCV only

Looking at last years sales consolidation in trucks segment TM has sold more than last year. But in the bus segment TM has got a lower sales numbers 16850 aganist 15012 last year. But intrestingly AL has maintained its leadership by selling 18837 aganist 15298. My point is its almost known that TM has started mass producing Marcopolos in a larger numbers and all the STU orders are catered with MP only. But as largely cited why was not TM able to over come AL in numbers. I see no reason as how AL is maintaining supremacy over TM

Last edited by Ashley2 : 25th May 2011 at 15:47.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:12   #327
BHPian

Mods, please use your discretion in approval.

Talking about TML vs AL, a few years back I had interaction with some AL employees. They described AL superiority over TML in a very funny way (note: This is gender neutral and not intended to offend any gender)

As per them a TATA bus is like a spouse, if you take a great care in handling it, it will serve you well. While AL bus is like a pro*****te it will take all the abuse and still serve you well.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:29   #328
Senior - BHPian

Ashley: Source of your info???

I ask because I have never yet seen any sales figures of TML separating out buses from trucks, either L/ICVs or M/HCVs.
Old 26th May 2011, 08:35   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
As per them a TATA bus is like a spouse, if you take a great care in handling it, it will serve you well. While AL bus is like a pro*****te it will take all the abuse and still serve you well.
That's a consolidation in deed.
But too funny

Quote:
Ashley: Source of your info???

I ask because I have never yet seen any sales figures of TML separating out buses from trucks, either L/ICVs or M/HCVs.
SIAM sales data!
Old 26th May 2011, 09:53   #330
Senior - BHPian

Do the above number's include LCV/ICV buses too or just the MCV/HCV buses only??

Because if its the 2nd option I am not at all surprised. Remember last year JNNURM orders, which is where Tata has had a major advantage, were not as high as previous years. And in the chassis only market, AL has a big lead.

Also if you see in the high HP long range bus chassis, AL has a even bigger lead. It is here that the buses get replaced more often. While with Tata buses, are operated by the smaller operators, not catering to the high end intercity market. Here the pace of replacement is much slower, thus denting the sales of Tata.

Though if the figures include LCV/ICV buses too, then I have to say I am a bit shocked too at the sales figures.

Another possibility, though probability is very low, does Tata MarcoPolo Motors Limited show up as a separate company?? This is because, the Dharwad facility is officially not TML but TMML.

OT: If you have independent data for all the manufacturer's sales numbers, it would be nice to see the figures of all the companies some place.

Last edited by julupani : 26th May 2011 at 09:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks