Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 14.99%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Mozilla Firefox 363 49.46%
Opera 63 8.58%
Apple Safari 28 3.81%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 144 19.62%
Any other?? Please specify 22 3.00%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 14:27   #301
BHPian

Which is your preferred Internet Browser?

I voted for Safari. Ever since Safari 3.0 was launched, I am stuck with it. Some of the features that I love in a Safari is :

1) Copy and Paste of text using drag & drop

2) Clearing Cookies and Clearing browsing History is literally 1 click away. (Unlike IE, it doesn’t take forever)

3) UI is plane jane for which I love.

4) Spell check irrespective of the command box that you type.

Cons of Safari:

1) Not all the ActiveX plugins work.

2) Many organizations don't test their web applications, Portals on Safari, resulting in some unknown error.

I was thinking what others might be using.I have hardly used Internet Explorer in the past 2 years. Have used Firefox for some time and for some reason I stopped using firefox.

Now, Google Crome any takers here? I installed it in one of the computers, every thing seems to be ok. Excepting, when you have 3 or 4 browser windows with rich HTML files, it shoots up the Processor Usage to 100% and stays there for about 3 or 4 minutes which makes impossible for me to work on any other applications. This happens to be on a Core 2 Duo and also AMD FX2. Any of you have experienced the same?
Old 10th September 2008, 09:47   #302
Senior - BHPian

Funny message in Chrome when using HSBC Online banking

Ok, so I started liking Chrome from the day I installed it and was pretty happy in using it. Until yesterday. A strange, very funny problem that I encountered left me amused.

I was checking my HSBC credit card statement online and paying some bills. Now I tried to add my Airtel landline to the list of billers. I entered my telephone number, city, Account number and it was fine till then. Next was to enter my email ID. Now my ID contains letter "T" as the 7th alphabet and as soon asI type "T", a pop up informs me that "This function is not allowed in HSBC Online Banking"

I tried typing any other letter and it accepts that, but not a "T"!!

To check this, I replicated the same procedure in IE, FF and Safari and it went on smooth. Then why does Chrome+HSBC Online banking have a probem with "T" as the 7th alphabet?

P.S. On another note, did anyone face a spyware called "Antivirus XP 2008" after installing Chrome? My system got infected with this spyware the day after I installed Chrome. And during that time, I DID not install any other software or download any other files as well. Firewall and Antivrus (AVG) were turned on as well. So I suspect this came as some excess baggage with Chrome.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:06   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

To check this, I replicated the same procedure in IE, FF and Safari and it went on smooth. Then why does Chrome+HSBC Online banking have a probem with "T" as the 7th alphabet?
Did you tried to report it to google? I guess you did.

Quote:
P.S. On another note, did anyone face a spyware called "Antivirus XP 2008" after installing Chrome? My system got infected with this spyware the day after I installed Chrome. And during that time, I DID not install any other software or download any other files as well. Firewall and Antivrus (AVG) were turned on as well. So I suspect this came as some excess baggage with Chrome.
So far no I have not faced such issues. May be others will update.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:13   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was checking my HSBC credit card statement online and paying some bills. Now I tried to add my Airtel landline to the list of billers. I entered my telephone number, city, Account number and it was fine till then. Next was to enter my email ID. Now my ID contains letter "T" as the 7th alphabet and as soon asI type "T", a pop up informs me that "This function is not allowed in HSBC Online Banking"

Yes i have faced similar issues with some sites which wont accept data entry in certain columns. I have reported these.

Quote:
On another note, did anyone face a spyware called "Antivirus XP 2008" after installing Chrome? My system got infected with this spyware the day after I installed Chrome. And during that time, I DID not install any other software or download any other files as well. Firewall and Antivrus (AVG) were turned on as well. So I suspect this came as some excess baggage with Chrome.
None, in personal laptop as well as office desktop

Also chrome doesnt take Ctrl U and Ctrl B for underline and bold while posting (inside text box), instead it will open new tab and spring the bookmark tab

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th September 2008 at 10:15.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:51   #305
Senior - BHPian

I am using Google Chrome
Its good , damn good.
Only you dont get rss feeds like you used to get in mozilla.
You have to forward them to google reader or something

However i feel its quite great to use.
Congrats to google for a good one

P.S. Some minor issues are there but hey this is the 1st version, you cant expect it to be flawless, give it some time and i am sure most of the issues will be solved.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:54   #306
Senior - BHPian

Yes some of the feature like increase / decrease font size etc is good (similar to FF). Also did you noticed the right pop-up menu when you right click on hyperlink? They have even taken notice of the unnecessary options like "open" from it and removed. After-all to open why should I right click and do
The "incognito" window feature is also new. Not sure how "clear" it is. But, they have it.
Googles way of doing things.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:48   #307
Senior - BHPian

Few points about Chrome, the new kid on the block:

1. Chrome is based on Apple toolkit, which is same as that in Safari. Most browsers (Firefox, IE) use Gecko engine. The choice of Apple appears more political (anti Microsoft) than any technical reason. In fact Gecko scores over Apple toolkit any day.

2. In Chrome, every tab is a new process (that is multi-process). So total memory consumption is bound to high, compared to IE or Firefox (which are multi-threaded).

3. Speed of rendering differs from browser to browser in few milliseconds, which is barely noticeable by human eye. I feel speed is dependent more in Internet connection speed.

4. Why Chrome is open-source? Not that Google loves Open Source. The reason given was, 'they didn't want to be sued like Microsoft'.

5. Browser Setting options are very minimal, unlike about:config of Firefox.

6. Chrome was specifically designed for Web 2.0 application. How does it differ from Firefox 3.0?

Google's flagship continues to be 'The Google Web Search'. Their other famous products like Picasa, Orkut, Youtube, Google Earth are the ones they bought from the money they made from web search. Their foray into Desktop Applications has been a failure (Google Videos, Destop Search, etc). Will Chrome change that? Doesn't seem from the beta released.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:13   #308
Team-BHP Support

@msdivy: i aint a techie, but this is what i have felt.

2) This is useful since i can kill one tab if it takes too much of my machine resource, which has happened often with FF3 and had to kill the whole FF. Good thing was i could recover the tabs, but still pain especially if am logged into some secured sites which required relogin.

3) Second part is true, and the speed difference is more evident when am using Chrome with slow connection, its FAST compared to FF3, and yes i can feel it. I think this has to chrome using dedicated google servers and i like it. Dont care if google keeps a tab on me lol

5) Though i like to fiddle around, once done i never bother to return to settings. All the usual settings are available in this first ver and looking forward to never options with the future releases.

Desktop search is a failure? thats news, almost all my colleagues rely on it here at my work place. I survive on it!
Old 10th September 2008, 12:24   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

3) Second part is true, and the speed difference is more evident when am using Chrome with slow connection, its FAST compared to FF3, and yes i can feel it. I think this has to chrome using dedicated google servers and i like it. Dont care if google keeps a tab on me lol
I ran a trace to see if chrome is really accessing google servers for site accessing.
Well it does not.
Does it mean chrome does not access google.com?
Well it does.
What happens is when you start typing something in address bar, chrome starts searching google for the characters you type.
Therefore what happens is that even if you have not entered that site before, you will still see it as if it was in history.
Its called prefetching. If you do not set google as the default search engine, this will not happen.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:20   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
And a security tip for you dear FF user never store passwords on it, even a non hacker can see your passwords if he has access to your PC by only doing this
Tools->Options->Security->Show passwords->Show passwords
and there you have it all your passwords without any encryption

Same issue in Chrome as well
Attached Thumbnails
Internet Browsers-chrome.jpg  

Old 10th September 2008, 13:33   #311
Senior - BHPian

Oh no. I was never aware of this show password thing. Good that you highlighted.

OT: Thats one reason I am regular in T-BHP. No need to read news paper too, since all are in this one forum
Old 10th September 2008, 14:07   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
2) This is useful since i can kill one tab if it takes too much of my machine resource, which has happened often with FF3 and had to kill the whole FF. Good thing was i could recover the tabs, but still pain especially if am logged into some secured sites which required relogin.
Multi-process application is a lazy approach for solving a crash. But the point is why must an application crash?
PS: My colleague reads RSS feeds in Firefox. He opens all the links in tabs - thats at least 30 tabs. In Chrome that would mean different 30 process !!
Quote:
Desktop search is a failure? thats news, almost all my colleagues rely on it here at my work place. I survive on it!
GDS is very very primitive. All it has is one box to enter the search query. There are other options which offer more precison search.
Old 10th September 2008, 14:36   #313
BHPian

I am no techie, but to search for files in my computer, I find Google Desktop search much more capable that the regular Windows search. Windows often fails where Google immediately shows results.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:00   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Multi-process application is a lazy approach for solving a crash. But the point is why must an application crash?
PS: My colleague reads RSS feeds in Firefox. He opens all the links in tabs - thats at least 30 tabs. In Chrome that would mean different 30 process !!
Cant it be a site issue that the browser crashes, most often i felt it is. I have come across certain sites which tend to crash both IE and FF and am forced to quit.

For stat sake, usually FF crashes once in a week, its close to a week and apart from an accidental closing of Chrome (which i am the culprit), no crashes yet. Touch wood. So purely from a user perspective am voting for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
GDS is very very primitive. All it has is one box to enter the search query. There are other options which offer more precison search.
I think thats the beauty of it, enter just the search text, and browser will show all the matching searches, inside the browser filter/select if you want to search by files, emails, web pages etc. Its brilliant once you learn how it is to be used.

The emails which outlook advance search couldnt find comes up with google desktop, only when its archived one needs to do a bit a head scratching to fish it out.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:10   #315
BHPian

For the last few years its been Mozilla Firefox and I guess it will be for quite sometime to come

I tried Chrome and one look at the EULA put me off it - only use it for gmail and orkut i.e. google services and yeah for the record no enhancements there either
Use IE and MSN Explorer very rarely mostly for accessing hotmail

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks