Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 14.99%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Mozilla Firefox 363 49.46%
Opera 63 8.58%
Apple Safari 28 3.81%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 144 19.62%
Any other?? Please specify 22 3.00%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 07:37   #361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
For a reason! IE always has the maximum hacks/exploits in existence... Chrome being new, will hardly have any!!
That's a very refreshing thought. In reality, new programs have the most bugs, where as older programs have them sorted out long back. The IE has maximum exploits because, it is the most attacked browser. Generally, the most popular browser is attacked the most. But it is good in one way. Since every IE bug is sensationalised and scandalised, they get fixed very fast. Meanwhile, bugs in less used browsers are not given any publicity (only some hackers will know them), so people feel secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I'm surprised to see some still using IE! No offense meant, please. But seriously, I'm wondering how come?
No offense taken Zak. It is simple, I am a software product architect, and an old timer at that. I don't fall for the usual propaganda against Microsoft or IE7. Most of you see browsers from users point of view, and I see from developer and users point of view. Since Microsoft ties in their fantastic development tools (yes, they are very good, despite being from Microsoft) with IE, it really makes lots of integration easy. Unlike independent browsers that don't care or help in enterprise application integration.

Besides, IE is the most used browser, whether you like it or not.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  17.9 KB

Last edited by Samurai : 25th September 2008 at 07:41.
Old 25th September 2008, 08:33   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Reliability. I rather use a time-tested, field-tested release version browser than a very first beta version browser. I also got irritated when I couldn't easily go back after submiting a form. Also Chrome sucked at rendering Outlook web.
So this is a bug or some other type of thing. I was experiencing this, but thought that it was me only as I do a lot of modifications in registry and have slow internet connection.
Thanks!
Old 25th September 2008, 10:46   #363
Senior - BHPian

There are two criteria for me while choosing the web browser.
One is how it renders the webpages.
Now all the crap about how gecko is best rendering engine and how trident doesn't follow standards doesn't convince me.

If I open ABM amro website, and firefox doesn't run. It doesnt run. No crap about geck being better than trident.
Hence IE.

If I want features, and conveninces, nothign beats Opera.

So Opera be it.

There fore only tow browsers I use - Opera and IE. I have nothign against MS, and anyway I don't believe in propaganda againt MS.

Google, I thikn, is seriously over rated.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:14   #364
Senior - BHPian

I love Chrome for the following:
1) open any website, you do not need to download plugins or any extra software
2) a lovely full screen feel while browsing.
3) love the search in the address bar feature
Dont like for the following
1) history with thumbnails : for obvious reasons
2) surprisingly it is actually slower than firefox (i have no clue how)
3) no customization options

My Vote goes to Firefox.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:37   #365
BHPian

Just started using chrome. Overall its quite nice and the clean interface is also nice to look at. There is not much clutter as of now and makes browsing that much easier. I shifted from IE because of a trojan which targets IE and it just would not go away even after multiple scans with Mcafee. It seems to be a pretty new trojan as I found ouit while trying to get more info. Anyways that prompted me to uninstall IE and move on to chrome. Overall as of now am pretty comfortable with it and everything works nicely.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:50   #366
Senior - BHPian

I prefer Firefox, and now Chrome, for browsing. IE is slow and prone to hanging compared to these two. I've heard IE 8 Beta is now available. Anyone tried that out?
That being said, most web applications being developed are built specific to IE. Thus, some features that run seamlessly on IE screw up and look odd on FF or Chrome.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:18   #367
Senior - BHPian

Saw news about Chrome launch, downloaded and installed it. It's fast enough, has got cool UI and works well in general. Changed it to the default browser on day 1.

After having used it for a few days, I am back to old trustworthy firefox.

Chrome works well but I hate advt. on a web page. Google will never provide adblock, since it goes against their business model. So, there goes Chrome out of window for me.

Moreover, there are just too many firefox extensions that I am used to, which are not there in Chrome right now.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:25   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a very refreshing thought. In reality, new programs have the most bugs, where as older programs have them sorted out long back. The IE has maximum exploits because, it is the most attacked browser. Generally, the most popular browser is attacked the most. But it is good in one way. Since every IE bug is sensationalised and scandalised, they get fixed very fast. Meanwhile, bugs in less used browsers are not given any publicity (only some hackers will know them), so people feel secure.
I know that Samurai! IE is the most used and most compatible browser, hence the most attacked. And thats what makes it lot more risky... Also, IE is poor in features and very slow. Can say a lot more, but will let it pass... to each his own... peace!

That said, I use Opera 95% of the times on my home comp. I'm forced to use IE7 only for websites that dont like Opera. Have used Chrome at work, and am impressed at its speed. The clean interface with max viewing area is also a big bonus. It however lacks features that Opera has, so I dont have it on my comp.
Old 25th September 2008, 23:29   #369
BHPian

I have been using Chrome for a few weeks now. It is quite apparent that it is a BETA browser and needs more fixes.

Many sites within my office intranet seems to work only with IE. They seem have so many plugins that are specific to IE. So, finally I use IE for all office applications and Chrome for personal use.

Chrome does not work with many sites mostly because the site developers would not have tested their sites with Chrome. So, i do still use IE if i am doing important stuff like banking transactions. Especially on some sites like Indiatimes.com or rediff.com, when i do an online payment, the process has so many steps - and each time a different bank's site opens up. I have had problems many times where i get a timed-out error or something like that. In such cases, i feel safer with IE. To work with my yahoo mail, Chrome is fast and great!
Old 26th September 2008, 00:26   #370
BHPian

I have tried Chrome, but Firefox remains my first preference.
Old 29th September 2008, 08:17   #371
BHPian

IE is crap. I have it on my work PC and I hate it.

Firefox is my favorite due to the incredible array of functionality improvements and changes that extensions enable. With IE, that range just isn't there and its such a terribly limited, inflexible, stupid browswer.

Safari is notable for being the fastest rendering browser I have used and it has some neat features, but it too is edged out by Firefox just because of its limited nature compared to Firefox, even though its much superior to IE.

Google Chrome is impressing me primarily for isolating tabs from each other and other applications so that a crash in one tab doesn't take down the entire browser. but on the whole its not a must have for me so for now i am sticking with firefox but will keep an eye open on it.

My biggest appreciation for Firefox is that I truly believe in the power of creativity unleased by open source software and think very poorly of the ability and motivations bureaucratic corporate giants like microsoft to feed creativity and innovation.

Vista is nice, Office 2007 is very good, Windows live mail is good, but IE is just laughably pathetic compared to Firefox.
Old 29th September 2008, 08:56   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Firefox is my favorite due to the incredible array of functionality improvements and changes that extensions enable. With IE, that range just isn't there and its such a terribly limited, inflexible, stupid browswer.
Interesting views, would you like to elaborate on the EAI (enterprise application integration) stengths of Firefox? If firefox plug-ins can be integrated as tightly as ActiveX plug-ins to the client PC, I would be interested.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:25   #373
BHPian

User Experience in IE 8 Beta 1/2

I have been using IE8 on my office PC since Beta 1 days and now on to Beta 2 on 2 computers simultaneously. Now the review.

1. In Beta 2, the google cookies will just not time out or expire. So if you install IE 8 Beta 2, be ready to be sign into your google until you manully flush all the cookies.

2. Some other websites like Indian Railway website won't render perfectly and will not go back like it used to in IE7. But there is a compatibility option for broken websites which I guess, uses the IE 7 compatiblity mode previously offered in Beta 1.

3. It has got better stability than IE 8 Beta 1 and far better than IE 7. Also, if a particular website crashes it, not the whole of the IE engine crashes. Instead, it will recover that one tab/website for you which crashed.

4. For those who are boasting about Firefox and others, I would like to know how well do they integrate with SharePoint and the likes? It is a question and not an attack on Sharepoint, because from an enterprise point of view who are increasingly deploying SharePoint, the presense indicaters and other APIs shared with other Microsoft programs are not referenced by Firefox. Hence, IE remains the ultimate choice for Enterprise and with advanced security mechanism further enhanced in IE 8, it is only getting better for MS.

5. Most of the enterprises other than banks, would let you use Firefox unless there is very high security requirement. Also, with corporate firewalls and stupid firewall administrators getting tougher in corporate environments, it is hard for anyone to get through to any type of wrong websites. Heck, they won't even let you open webmail.

6. Did you know that if you deselect IE 8 status bar and go into full screen mode, you get an actual full screen mode and not a quasi-one like it used to be before.

7. It still doesn't have an inbuilt spell-checker like Firefox has. One big advantage to Firefox but I hope they do something about that in IE final release which is still about 6 months away.

8. Not that important but still relevant, I have seen IE 7 x64 version running darn fast on Vista boxes with couple of Gigs of Ram. Given the fact that these days Laptops come with 2/3 GB RAM as default, are we heading toward IE 8 dominations days?

Last but not the least, let me quote Samurai;

Quote:
You trust Chrome Beta version 0.2 over IE7? Sigh, I believe there is more FUD created against Microsoft than created by Microsoft.
I am believing in MS more and more everyday after once believing that Linux will slow take over the world and Microsoft is all crap and propaganda. I wish Linux all best in a good sense, but I have come to understand that Microsoft is seriously listening to their customer and their 'core customers' are enterprises who pay for their software licenses, not us (consumers) who hack & steal it somehow.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:03   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting views, would you like to elaborate on the EAI (enterprise application integration) stengths of Firefox? If firefox plug-ins can be integrated as tightly as ActiveX plug-ins to the client PC, I would be interested.
Don't get this point. Firefox/IE plugins, if written in C/C++ will not run in some sandbox and have access to all system resources (depending on privileges of current user).

So, if desired ActiveX or Mozilla plugin can integrate itself to host OS. And like Adobe Flash, same code can expose itself as XPCOM AND ActiveX.

One thing that IE does better then everyone else is "Scripting". Its trivial to write a 20 line VBS script that:

1. Opens google
2. Fires a query
3. Dumps top 10 URLs

And you have quick and dirty command line utility for automating such tasks.

From what I know, its not possible with Mozilla/Opera/Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
4. For those who are boasting about Firefox and others, I would like to know how well do they integrate with SharePoint and the likes?
Current version of Sharepoint works way better with FF. Earlier, even drop down menus for check-in/check-out would not work with Firefox. As you mentioned, integration with MS communicator, MS Office is incomplete when running FF.

BTW current version of MS Livemeeting works well with FF (previous versions did not).

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 29th September 2008 at 13:12.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:19   #375
BHPian

Anybody here using Flock ? It's based on the Firefox and i've been using it for few months now. I like the interface better than the FF and few additional features. The plugins that run on FF runs on flock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks