Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 14.99%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Mozilla Firefox 363 49.46%
Opera 63 8.58%
Apple Safari 28 3.81%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 144 19.62%
Any other?? Please specify 22 3.00%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 00:13   #496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, my work laptop is getting replaced with a newer one. Is there any way I can transfer the entire browsing history, saved passwords, form information and bookmarks of my browsers ( FF and Chrome ) to the new laptop ?
Eddy,

As Thad mentioned, FF stores stuff in "profiles". Heres a link which might be a decent starting point -- though there is no mention of copying profiles on this page itself :

Profile Manager - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I'm sure chrome will have a similar solution.

(I think opera has something called Opera-Sync which would let you do this over the internet to any other opera install)

cya
R
Old 11th January 2010, 11:58   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
though there is no mention of copying profiles on this page itself ...
It comes under moving FF from one machine to another, or to a new disc. I forget. Will need to find it again myself soon as I intend to get a small SSD to improve bootup and application-load performance which will mean a re-install.

My firefox profile details have a pretty-much unboken continuity going back years, two or three machines and a couple of hard discs. Same for Thunderbird, which has a similar procedure.

Part of my regular backup includes the Documents and Settings folder so that all my Thunderbird mail as well as Firefox and other app stuff is saved, at least to that point in time.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:09   #498
BHPian

I did some research and found out that firefox when it firsts start makes encryption with help of files stored in a particular directories .hence to improve the start up speed -these directories need to be clean .I am no programmer but I wrote a small batch file and put it in the start up -so firefox loads faster .
Here is the batch file

cd %temp%
del * /Q /F
cd %userprofile%\Local Settings\History
del * /Q /F
cd %userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
del * /Q /F
cd %userprofile%\Recent
del * /Q /F

Hope it helps

Last edited by tamojoym : 11th January 2010 at 12:09. Reason: wanted to add some more
Old 11th January 2010, 12:25   #499
BANNED

The easiest method of moving info around between installations of Firefox or Thunderbird is to run MozBackUp. It is freeware.

I have moved infor around between systems, and also configured new installations (OS change, system crash, etc) with no sweat using this.

Another lovely freebie - dopdf for writing pdf files from anywhere. Installs as a printer.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:03   #500
BHPian

Hi Guys,
In my FF previously all the vids used to get cached automatically at:- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q185vpc0.default\Cac he

But from last few days no vids are getting downloaded there.

I thought that may be when I close the browser then the video will get deleted automatically although they never used to get deleted automatically.
But while the playing or running the video still it is not getting stored in the above mentioned directory.

Any clues why?
Old 11th January 2010, 13:18   #501
Senior - BHPian

Although I largely use Firefox, I do have to use IE at times because of the fact that some sites (incl. my official lotus webmail) work only or a lot better on IE.

Safari is also good. I would say 75% of my browsing on Firefox, 20% on IE, and 5% on Safari/Chrome.

I like Opera too but too many browsers make life complicated. Flock is another new browser (same as Firefox). May shift to Flock as a substitute for Firefox.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:26   #502
BHPian

Using Firefox for the past 6 years. I like the customization on the igoogle home page. I also try out IE / Crome to check out the look and feel.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:08   #503
BANNED

@vasudeva: I have installed IETab and so fire up IE whenever I need it from inside FF. IETab is probably one of the niftiest add-ons for FF
Old 11th January 2010, 14:11   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vasudeva: I have installed IETab and so fire up IE whenever I need it from inside FF. IETab is probably one of the niftiest add-ons for FF
Have installed that but have not got around to using it. I use IE only for lotus notes access at my home, windows updates, and some sites that do not load properly in firefox.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:19   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

tamojoym, I am not 100% sure, but I think this issue with FF and temp files does not apply to current version. There was a past, but recent, version which had the problem of increasingly slow startup due to this. I recommend CCleaner for keeping free of unwanted temp files etc.

sgiitk, thanks for the recommendation of Mozbackup: I'll check that out

<a few minutes later...>

Great! Have now downloaded MozBackUp, and will use it on a regular basis. Many thanks.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th January 2010 at 14:33.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:39   #506
Senior - BHPian

Google Chrome is now available for Mac OS too.

Have downloaded and trying it now.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:22   #507
Senior - BHPian

Fire fox 3.5.7 is quite stable now, only hitch is that it takes a while to load initially, I am using it for some time now and have never faced any problems addon's like X Marks are superb when you are working on multiple PC's.

My vote to Firefox
Old 19th January 2010, 17:54   #508
BHPian

i like the mozilla firefox weave plugin and have been using it across windows and linux for a while now to sync my tabs across computers!
Old 19th January 2010, 17:57   #509
BHPian

company policies could not install anything else then IE
Old 19th January 2010, 18:43   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
company policies could not install anything else then IE
with security moving towards the network, OS's becoming more and more diverse (chrome based OS!!), mobile devices becoming prominent productivity enhancers, I am sure in sometime companies won't even be bothered about browser type. They will be easily able to ensure security without having to worry about endpoint platform, OS, browser!

More power to the end user

Edit - forgot to mention, technologies like PC over IP and desktop as a managed service in the cloud will further make security independent of the end user's machine (laptop/desktop/mobile-device)

Last edited by jassi : 19th January 2010 at 18:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks