Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 14.99%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Mozilla Firefox 363 49.46%
Opera 63 8.58%
Apple Safari 28 3.81%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 144 19.62%
Any other?? Please specify 22 3.00%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 09:48   #466
BHPian

I always use Mozilla Firefox for browsing. I am using it for last 5 to 6 years.
liked it because of its security, add-ons and skins.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:15   #467
BANNED

@mech: Agreed. however, I keep the IE Tab inside it form some stroppy sites which will not work with FF. These I go for under IE from within FF. Also, sometimes I find the anti-virus part of FF overwhelming. For example, I am force to used IE for ACI forums, since some other site on the same host has been reported to have a bug! IE is happy oopeningit. If you ask me the spell check feature alone is worth its weight in diamonds.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:18   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

I just find IE (I have 7 installed) annoying. Even things like the way it handles errors in typing the URL is unfriendly.

Yes, I use windows, but I think that MS is so introspective that they have long since ceased to be good at designing simple, consistent user interfaces. An example of this is icons on the desktop and icons on the task bar: the former need to be double-clicked to launch a program, the latter just single-clicked. It is a small thing, but it shouldn't have been that way.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:22   #469
Senior - BHPian

Mozilla FF is getting on my nerves now. It is starting to behave like IE now. Hangs up inbetween for no reason, slows down and what not.

Even the new Opera is not much to write about. Infact Safari seems to be running like a charm now a days.

Have any of you also experienced the same ?
Old 14th September 2009, 14:28   #470
Senior - BHPian

I have started using chrome more than Mozilla now. Its lighter and faster especially while browsing team bhp from office.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:06   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm still happy with FF.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:28   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a strange problem with my FireFox for a while now.

I have no printer connected to my Mac and when I wish to save a page or print a receipt I usually print it to PDF.

The minute I do this, I get my PDF but immediately after this, Firefox crashes.
This is extremely annoying when I log on to secure sites (like my bank) because I cannot log back in for a time period.

Does anybody else suffer the way I do?
Old 14th September 2009, 15:39   #473
Senior - BHPian

IE 8 is really good, have been using it at office and it performs well. Surely its worth a try.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:45   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Does anybody else suffer the way I do?
No - that's because no one else prints to PDF !
Old 14th September 2009, 17:08   #475
Senior - BHPian

I was a FF fan, but as someone said above, it started to get on my nerves recently. So I temporarily switched to k-melon, based on mozilla but with no bloat. But now I am settled with Opera 10. With adblock/flashblock capability, and great speed, its unmatched now.

One tip for users, if the memory usage for opera shoots up the roof, ie goes above 100mb or so, just minimize it and then open again. This reduces the memory usage greatly.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:19   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I just find IE (I have 7 installed) annoying. Even things like the way it handles errors in typing the URL is unfriendly.

Yes, I use windows, but I think that MS is so introspective that they have long since ceased to be good at designing simple, consistent user interfaces. An example of this is icons on the desktop and icons on the task bar: the former need to be double-clicked to launch a program, the latter just single-clicked. It is a small thing, but it shouldn't have been that way.
Icons on taskbar!! I never saw them! I just see the open programs on my task bar that need a single click to bring them to front. If you have got tons of icons on your desktop (or wherever that needs single click - you can actually configure this) and you are using notebook with the touchpad or nav control, you will realize why it has to be double click!
Its individual choice and has to differ, no offence! Something that is right for others may not be same for you.

btw, I'm using IE8 since it was beta; it has been improved a lot since then and I continued to use it. I see most of the people have got very good experience switching between browsers and will surely have a better idea on which is the 'garam' browser at the moment.

Last edited by Ketan : 15th September 2009 at 23:23.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:47   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

The double click is fine by me, and has been since the earliest editions of Windows established the basic-use protocol. It is the single-click (icons on task bar) that is irregular and confusing --- even though html links have accustomed us to single clicks.

Anyway, I have no choice but to live with it!

Icons on the task bar are very useful (although slightly less so since I moved to a wide screen LCD) as you can always see your regulars without having to move or close any windows.
Attached Images

Old 16th September 2009, 00:04   #478
BHPian

FF all the way. No browser can match the add-ons that are available for FF.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:56   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@mech: Agreed. however, I keep the IE Tab inside it form some stroppy sites which will not work with FF. These I go for under IE from within FF.
Yes, for some sites I go for IE8, it is the default browser in my PC. But for maximum sites I use FF.

Last edited by mech : 16th September 2009 at 08:58.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:25   #480
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

The minute I do this, I get my PDF but immediately after this, Firefox crashes.
This is extremely annoying when I log on to secure sites (like my bank) because I cannot log back in for a time period.
Could be the pdf (file) printer which creates the pdf file. I see that dopdf is available for the Mac. I have found this to be the best pdf writer program in the 'Windoze' world for the past three years. I chanced on it when my older program did not work in Vista. I noew swear by it 100%. Try it, and I look forward to your feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks