Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2008, 12:12   #31
BHPian

I travel average is roughly 40Kms/day. Do you think its worth buying diesel coz we have heard that diesel engine will give probs in long run like noise/vibration??
Old 2nd February 2008, 13:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
I travel average is roughly 40Kms/day. Do you think its worth buying diesel coz we have heard that diesel engine will give probs in long run like noise/vibration??
Nope. The diesel engines nowadays will not give any problems. The technology used is more superior that the petrol engines. If FE is all important to you, then can look into diesel.

Last edited by snaronikar : 2nd February 2008 at 13:12.
Old 26th February 2008, 15:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

I booked a Swift Petrol 15 days back. I am getting the delivery only
in April. Heard the new tachometer looks good. Anyone got pics of it>
Old 21st October 2011, 15:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: waiting period for swift and a regular What Car query

Had enquired about the waiting period. In Chennai they have put a board in the show room telling that 8months for diesel. While asking about petrol it was 4 months. Swift Dzire diesel is available faster than Swift. I am planning to just book if the thinks go well I will take delivery after 8 months other wise cancel and get back the booking amount.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just checked with Surakshaa on the Swift ZDi and got to know that the ZDi would take anywhere close to 8 months ,BUT THEY HAVE STOPPED TAKING BOOKINGS NOW
Also ,whenc checking on the servicing costs of the DDIS v/s the Petrol,I got to know that the DDIS would be double of the petrol .

As my average monthly running would never exceed 1500 kms keeping in mind my drive to work ,weekend chores and my alternate month long drives ,I now am confused on what to buy .

I have a feeling that I might end up buying the ZXI
Old 21st October 2011, 17:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
As my average monthly running would never exceed 1500 kms keeping in mind my drive to work ,weekend chores and my alternate month long drives ,I now am confused on what to buy .
I was in a similar confusion few days back. And I went ahead and booked the VDI, was quoted wait of about 6 months. But after booking, I did my calculations thoroughly again, and turns out that with a running of about 1000kms per month, petrol made better sense.

thats when I went and test drove both versions of the Swift back to back. ANd trust me on this, the K12 is a sweet, sweet mill. Its so refined, and the sound after 3000 RPM is so juicy, that the turbo paled in comparison in my books. In my opinion, people are going with the herd mentality of booking a diesel irrespective of running and other associated costs. The other more important thing to me was, that with 90% of my driving in the city, the turbo was almost impossible to use for ANY extended period of time within city confines. On the extensive highway runs, the diesel does make sense since you can at least use the turbo boost.

But leaving aside everything else, that silky smooth petrol motor with the sweet gearbox and tight handling just bowled me over. And yes, I did change my booking to a Torque Blue VXi.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

SpeedSatya,
It is not only for DieselVS Petrol of Maruti alone any diesel car service costs will be higher. There is always con's and pros. For me it is worth diesel than the petrol on day to day input for the car. If you calculate 21KMPL for diesel and the 17kmpl for Petrol and the price of both fuel the service cost is nothing compared to daily in put.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:21   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I was in a similar confusion few days back. And I went ahead and booked the VDI, was quoted wait of about 6 months. But after booking, I did my calculations thoroughly again, and turns out that with a running of about 1000kms per month, petrol made better sense.

thats when I went and test drove both versions of the Swift back to back. ANd trust me on this, the K12 is a sweet, sweet mill. Its so refined, and the sound after 3000 RPM is so juicy, that the turbo paled in comparison in my books. In my opinion, people are going with the herd mentality of booking a diesel irrespective of running and other associated costs. The other more important thing to me was, that with 90% of my driving in the city, the turbo was almost impossible to use for ANY extended period of time within city confines. On the extensive highway runs, the diesel does make sense since you can at least use the turbo boost.

But leaving aside everything else, that silky smooth petrol motor with the sweet gearbox and tight handling just bowled me over. And yes, I did change my booking to a Torque Blue VXi.
The petrol Swift has to be revved to extract performance out of it. Like you said, 3K rpm and above is where the action is. How often will you drive above 3K rpm in the city? The diesel has better low end torque and once the turbo kicks in at 2K rpm, it is surreal.

Petrol prices are always on the verge of shooting up. Calculations you do today may not apply after 6 months when the petrol-diesel difference further widens. The break even point may not be 1000km/month at that time. Could be lower.

I don't intend to criticize your VXi booking. It sure is a good car and might suit your needs perfectly. I have a ZDi booking open since July and my monthly usage is <1000 km.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 21st October 2011 at 17:22.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I don't intend to criticize your VXi booking. It sure is a good car and might suit your needs perfectly. I have a ZDi booking pending since July and my monthly usage is <1000 km.
Your logic is also understandable. However, even the 2000 RPM turbo limit was not usable in the test drive that I did. To describe how it went, by the time I hit the 2K RPM and the turbo kicked in, the car lunged forward and I was upon the next cars rear bumper. So no ways I can use the turbo much in the city. Below 2K, its pretty sluggish, i.e. the turbo lag.

But then apart from the economic considerations, I suppose I am just a die hard petrol head, and the relative unrefined nature of the diesel just did not appeal to me. By the time I break even on the price difference, it probably will be time for me to change my car (in about 5 years time) with my limited running of about 10-12K kms a year
Old 21st October 2011, 17:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Your logic is also understandable. However, even the 2000 RPM turbo limit was not usable in the test drive that I did. To describe how it went, by the time I hit the 2K RPM and the turbo kicked in, the car lunged forward and I was upon the next cars rear bumper. So no ways I can use the turbo much in the city. Below 2K, its pretty sluggish, i.e. the turbo lag.

But then apart from the economic considerations, I suppose I am just a die hard petrol head, and the relative unrefined nature of the diesel just did not appeal to me. By the time I break even on the price difference, it probably will be time for me to change my car (in about 5 years time) with my limited running of about 10-12K kms a year
Yup, that's the way it is on most diesel cars except the Micra & Figo. Once you get used to it, you might not find the turbo lag too bothersome. I too have been a petrol head up until now. With one petrol car in the family and my 5.5 yr old Swift which is due for a change, a diesel hatch is my preference.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
SpeedSatya,
It is not only for DieselVS Petrol of Maruti alone any diesel car service costs will be higher. There is always con's and pros. For me it is worth diesel than the petrol on day to day input for the car. If you calculate 21KMPL for diesel and the 17kmpl for Petrol and the price of both fuel the service cost is nothing compared to daily in put.
I still havent made up my mind .At present I have 2 confusions :
1: Why should I spend 8 L INR on a Maruti small car .The only reason I might still end up buying a Swift over a Punto 90Bhp is because of service centers like Surakshaa !
2: I was speaking to a senior technical manager from Maruti .He was referring to my zen with close to 2L kmswhich still maxes out its speedo on any stretch of road.He was saying ,he isnt sure if the 1.3 DDIS would run so effortlessly ,given my criteria of using my cars for a very longgg term.We had a Ikon D that we sold after 2.6 L kms ,the lancer has done 1.4 L kms ,the Zen is close tp 2 L kms.He was telling me to go for the ZDI .

Lets see,I know of someone who recently got himself a ZDI.Will use his car for a few days and will then decide
Old 24th October 2011, 17:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I still havent made up my mind .At present I have 2 confusions :
1: Why should I spend 8 L INR on a Maruti small car .The only reason I might still end up buying a Swift over a Punto 90Bhp is because of service centers like Surakshaa !

Lets see,I know of someone who recently got himself a ZDI.Will use his car for a few days and will then decide
I am in a similar quandary, in fact I already booked a ZDi in early September and have no clue when I will get the car. My running is similar to yours and I also intend to keep the car for long. I also want reasonably hassle free ownership, some safety features like ABS/Airbags, and a car that feels built to last. I ruled out the Punto 90 BHP because of A.S.S . Also read on Team BHP that even if the service is not an issue sometimes FIAT cars are in the workshop for days together waiting for parts. I am not such a FIAT fan and FiAT Car sales seem to be dwindling by the month in India.

When the strike re-occured, I was and am still wondering what can be an alternative to the Swift ZDI, still have'nt found one. Have test driven the Micra, Figo, Liva, Polo and Vista Diesels.

Let me know what your experience with your friend's ZDi is .
Old 24th October 2011, 19:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

[quote=speedsatya;2556368]I still havent made up my mind .At present I have 2 confusions :

If I tell the truth that though I booked the ZDI Swift I am also not sure whether I will take delivery or cancel in the long run. I do second your opinion of why to invest 8L for a hatch. Still if I loose a couple of kms of FE I can get a Vento or New Ford fiesta and add up of 1L or 2 more which will give some status. All depends on the financial position, likeness or any other hatch with lesser price with more facilities.All will be finalized after 7 months till then 10K will be a dead money that's all.

Last edited by navan49 : 24th October 2011 at 19:31.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

If spending 8L on a diesel hatch is a concern, we have FIESTA CLASSIC 1.6 @ 5.67 Ex showroom., bangalore.

Last edited by F150 : 24th October 2011 at 21:22.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:33   #45
BHPian

8L for a swift??? yes indeed this is a big concern. Figo and Ritz are seriously better options for value for money.

Not every hatchback has everything perfect about it, one or 2 positives of the swift have to be compromised and a wise decision should be taken by buyers, 8 Lakhs for a ZDI is too HIGH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks