Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 14:57   #1

My first new hatchback

Hi friends,
I am new here and i don't know much about cars. I am planning to book a new car in a week or two. Well, i am totally confused as there are no many options out there but the BIG question is which one? & I am yet to learn to drive Following are my criteria

a) Price - I have a budget of Rs. 5 lakhs (on road)
b) Use - The car will be used 80% for city rides and 20% on highways but this will be only on weekends.
c) Parking - It is a bit tight within my building's compound but manageable. I also have an option to park on the street but would not prefer that as the car will be used only on weekends.
d) How is going to drive - I'll be using the car most of the time but my dad & sister would also drive it in the near future. I am 5'7, dad is 5'4 and sis is 5'2.
e) Safety - ABS (if within budget)
f) Mileage - It does't matter as it would not be driven beyond 300kms in a month
g) Boot space - Should accommodate two suitcases
h) Maintenance - It should be low on maintenance and spare parts should be easily available and at reasonable rates, as i intend to keep the car for atleast 5-7 years.

I have short listed the following cars:

a) Beat (LT)
b) i10 (Sportz)
c) Ritz (Vxi)
d) Swift (Vxi)

We are a family of four and would easily feet in any of the cars short listed above so space will not be of a problem. Although i don't know how to drive but i have a feeling that i want a car which should be joyful to ride. I prefer performance and good handling over interiors and mileage.

After reading a lot of good things about Maruti on Team BHP i am leaning towards Swift....I know what you guys must be thinking...its dated and common but it doesn't affect me. Also i think a Maruti car will be VFM and the authorize service center is just 1km away from my place

Please let me know what do you think....your suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Harley
Old 16th January 2010, 15:11   #2

Sorry made a typo, replace how with who in point (d)
Old 16th January 2010, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

If ride and handling is what you want, look no further than the Swift in the list provided by you. The engine is a bit dated. The K12M motor is on the cards by March/April 2010. For city driving though, the Ritz would be the best in the present scenario. The K12M motor is a gem. Superb for both city and highway use. The Swift's motor performs better on the highway. Not that great in th city due to lack of bottom end torque.

Last edited by longhorn : 16th January 2010 at 15:33.
Old 16th January 2010, 15:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you the Ritz VXi above the Swift VXi.

In Mumbai, the Ritz VXi with ABS costs 4.6 lac. Without ABS it costs 4.37 lac. (Both prices, Ex-showroom)

The Swift would be dearer and is not as practical as the Ritz. The Ritz's great K series engine is fuel efficient and conforms to BS IV norms. Go for it.
Old 16th January 2010, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to buy the Ritz vxi with ABS. If you are so particular about the Swift, wait till it gets a K-series engine.
Old 16th January 2010, 17:02   #6
BHPian

harley,
Since you are yet to learn driving 4wheeler, my sincere sugesstion is to buy a used / old Maruthi800 or any other small segment car.
Learn driving in city & Highway traffic and importantly parking thoroughly in a used car for about 4-6 months and once you are well versed with the above things, you can buy a new car.
While learning with a used car you needn't worry much about minor damages to vehicle. You may lose few thousands while reselling the used car but you save lot of damages to new car.
Please take a testdrive & feel the ride of each indivuial car in the selection list and then select a new car. To test drive & feel the ride you should have good expreince in driving otherwise everything seems good.
However in another 6months lot of hatchbacks are going to be released in Indian market & you will have a wide range of models for selection.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:23   #7
BHPian

IMO the car which best suits your budget and requirements is the Chevy Beat LT with the option pack. So you get a brand new full option car with all the safety features, alloy wheels and climate control function which the i10/Ritz/Swift don't offer at this price range.

The Chevrolet 3yr maintenance plan will also prove useful in the long run.Moreover I don't think you will find any difficulty in driving the Beat.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
IMO the car which best suits your budget and requirements is the Chevy Beat LT with the option pack. So you get a brand new full option car with all the safety features, alloy wheels and climate control function which the i10/Ritz/Swift don't offer at this price range.

The Chevrolet 3yr maintenance plan will also prove useful in the long run.Moreover I don't think you will find any difficulty in driving the Beat.
Yes, If u need more features like Airbags, Alloys, Rear Demister,washer and wiper etc. you better opt for the Beat. It feels more VFM.

If you need peace of mind and the Maruti tag which implies terrific A.S.S, go for the Ritz with ABS.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

i think the beat would be the best choice here since it is a new launch. its also got some good aggressive looks. its got all the features you want, abs airbags. its interiors are great with that piano black finish, a cool instrument console, and things like climate control. your family and your friends will be really impressed with it. also there is nothing like buying a top end model.
Old 16th January 2010, 23:22   #10
BHPian

Dont you guys think that K series is good but lacks the refinement of the 4 cylinder engine since it being a 3 cylinder engine, and it wont be as peppy as the current Swift engine, thanks to the stricter Euro IV norms that the K-series meets, hence a little choked performance
Old 16th January 2010, 23:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Dont you guys think that K series is good but lacks the refinement of the 4 cylinder engine since it being a 3 cylinder engine, and it wont be as peppy as the current Swift engine, thanks to the stricter Euro IV norms that the K-series meets, hence a little choked performance
The Ritz has the K12M which is a 4 cylinder engine and it is supposedly peppier than the Swift's G13. Only the Astar and the Estilo have the 3cylinder K10B engine at present, even they are not bad on the city roads.

Chevrolet does have a pretty decent service network. It may not be as wide spread as the Suzuki network, but in a city like Mumbai I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Last edited by harishnair : 16th January 2010 at 23:42.
Old 16th January 2010, 23:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Ritz has the K12M which is a 4 cylinder engine and it is supposedly peppier than the Swift's G13. Only the Astar and the Estilo have the 3cylinder K10B engine at present, even they are not bad on the city roads.

Chevrolet does have a pretty decent service network. It may not be as wide spread as the Suzuki network, but in a city like Mumbai I don't think it makes much of a difference.
Technically

Swift G13 : 87bhp@6000rpm
Swift K12M : 85 ps@6000 rpm (83 bhp approx)

So I think atleast on papers the G13 engine would be peppier,

The only advantage K12M would have is lesser cc (1197 Vs 1298) hence lesser taxes for the company and lesser emissions to take on Euro 4
Old 17th January 2010, 01:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
The only advantage K12M would have is lesser cc (1197 Vs 1298) hence lesser taxes for the company and lesser emissions to take on Euro 4
It could be peppier in the Ritz because of the gear ratios .Now that the Swift has been released with the K12M engine, we will be able to compare between the K and G series engines.

Please direct further queries on the K12M to this thread -- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/66147-swift-k-series-engine-8.html

Last edited by harishnair : 17th January 2010 at 01:15.
Old 17th January 2010, 01:13   #14
BHPian

I bought a I10 sportz and driving has been so easy ever since. It will be perfect for your choice. Take a TD for all the above cars and take a wise decision. Hyundai has picked up a lot on the A.S.S.

Last edited by samabhi : 17th January 2010 at 01:14.
Old 17th January 2010, 05:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ritz VXi - If you are fine with the way the car looks, look no further.

Beat LT - I will rule it out as I think it is not a car for a one car family, it has a ridiculously small boot and although your family would be fine in the rear seat.
For me, it's like the perfect 2nd car or for people who are single (or married with kids atleast 3 years away)

Swift - Think about it but the current engine and tranny package are dated. The petrol is not as efficient as the Ritz's motor.

i10 Sportz - I consider the Ritz to be a better all round car, the engine being superior and I prefer the ride and handling balance of the Ritz too(this is a personal choice though)

Finally: Ritz is the best option if you like the styling (I assume you do as it's in the shortlist)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks