Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2006, 18:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@ballkey; Swift 1.3 JTD is expected at 5.5-6 lacs. Hence my statement. Without doubt, if the Swift JTD manages the 4 lac barrier... the waiting periods that we saw for the petrol Swift would be just the trailer.
Autocar India mentioned in its recent "new diesels" cover story/survey that the diesel Swift will cost approx. Rs. 60,000/- more than its petrol sibling. That translates into Rs. 4,60,000/- for the base diesel model.

Mind you, the diesel Swift would attract lower excise duty (16%) than its petrol sibling (which attracts 24%) on account of the engine capacity being less than 1500 CC.
Old 24th August 2006, 18:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@ballkey; Swift 1.3 JTD is expected at 5.5-6 lacs. Hence my statement. Without doubt, if the Swift JTD manages the 4 lac barrier... the waiting periods that we saw for the petrol Swift would be just the trailer.
5.5-6L would not be safe for Maruti, will tend to compete sedans! I think Maruti will try to keep it within 5L (at least entry level one, if it introduces more than one variants.)
Old 24th August 2006, 22:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

@directinjection: The small car rules are bound to change by this fiscal. Manufacturers have put up recommendations suggesting relaxation on the cubic capacity. Which means, by '07, ANY car under 4 metres total length including overhangs will be treated as a small car, attracting 16% excise duty.

The biggest benefactor could be the Ford Fusion, since Ford is trying desperately to market the model, and any help from the govt. with respect to pricing would really be appreciated.

Also, the reason for my quoting the indicative price was because Maruti has made it clear that petrol cars will be its mainstream, and it doesn't want to hurt the petrol versions' sales. Maruti has clearly mentioned that the pricing of the 1.3 JTD WILL NOT clash with the petrol variant. Let's wait and watch. The launch is only a couple of months away.
Old 25th August 2006, 08:56   #49
BHPian

Cvt

Any chance the Tatas would launch their Dicorized Indica(go) with CVT? They were experimenting with a CVT for their 1lakh car... An auto-tranny in the Indica would kill one of their perennial problems - lousy shift and clutch. Would be the perfect city runabout
Old 25th August 2006, 10:01   #50
BWN
BHPian

Indigo, in my opinion looks good and fresh only in some angles, but its still a Indica with a boot from outside(atleast to me). So it needs a serious shell change....... probably the LWB indigo might be good for the DICOR range of engines.

Swift Diesel @ 4.6 to 4.8 lacs Ex showroom would be a bit too much. Probably a Palio Multijet can do justice to this price rate.
Old 28th August 2006, 22:57   #51
BHPian

On Dicor car price positioning, I'm thinking that no company will cannibalize their existing product range let it be any firm. Expect to pay little more in capital cost of your common rail car and reap the benifit in running cost; off course if you drive a lot.
May be in terms of maintainance cost too, the car companies will charge a premium on common rail cars. This will be true for manufactures like Maruti and Hyundai who have huge market share of petrol cars.
Old 29th August 2006, 22:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel
May be in terms of maintainance cost too, the car companies will charge a premium on common rail cars. This will be true for manufactures like Maruti and Hyundai who have huge market share of petrol cars.
I am under the impression that the Common Rails will be cheaper to maintain than Petrols. Once the numbers increase obviously the economy of scale comes in to play, so that might work in the customer's favor.
Old 29th August 2006, 22:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

The news that Tata is experimenting with CVT is correct. I have a distant cousin who has worked on that project when they had outsourced it to a Pune based engineering firm. Although it just might be one of the many things they are working on for the next generation Indixx series of cars.
Old 29th August 2006, 23:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Autocar India mentioned in its recent "new diesels" cover story/survey that the diesel Swift will cost approx. Rs. 60,000/- more than its petrol sibling. That translates into Rs. 4,60,000/- for the base diesel model.

Mind you, the diesel Swift would attract lower excise duty (16%) than its petrol sibling (which attracts 24%) on account of the engine capacity being less than 1500 CC.
May be I am getting it wrong but I didn't understand what you are talaking about.
Swift petrol also as 1300 CC.Diesel is also going to be 1300 CC. Then why excise duties are like 16% and 24%. And where this 1500 CC criteria coming into picture?
Please explain.
Old 30th August 2006, 09:09   #55
Team-BHP Support

In budget 2006 excise duty criteria was revised.
Petrol and diesel cars less than 4000mm in length and with lower 1.2L and 1.5L engines respectively have lower excise duty of 16% instead of the regualr excise duty of 24%.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha
May be I am getting it wrong but I didn't understand what you are talaking about.
Swift petrol also as 1300 CC.Diesel is also going to be 1300 CC. Then why excise duties are like 16% and 24%. And where this 1500 CC criteria coming into picture?
Please explain.
Swift petrol attracts 24% duty because though the car's length is within the stipulated 4 metres, its engine capacity is more than the upper limit of 1200 CC specified for petrol small cars.

Swift diesel will attract 16% duty because at 1300 CC, the engine's cubic capacity is less than the upper limit of 1500 CC specified for diesel small cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks