Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 19:21   #796
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Got a chance to check out TUV300 at Mahindra showroom near Hydernagar, Miyapur.

Quite disappointed that only T6+ is available for display and that too in White. I have to say White didn't look that bad as in the photos. It has some road presence.

I wanted to check the T8 model, so didn't spend enough time checking out the car. Few points that I noticed.
  • I'm 6'1 and i'm hitting the front seat with my knees when the driver seat is set to my preferred driving position. I would say comparable to Duster. Okayish for me.
  • Able to have a good view ahead (including view of bonnet) but would prefer slightly more as the seats are setup low. Probably T8 with seat height adjustment will provide that.
  • Plastic quality looks good but they are very hard for touch and feel. I wouldn't leave my Nexus 4 which has glass both on front and back on the those plastics.
  • Steering felt good to hold.
  • It is not a walk in for me too. It is a step up to get into the vehicle. Kids & Older people will find this hard. I also got a chance to test the TOUGH part of the door . I'll explain that below.
  • Attached Price List for Hyderabad
    Attachment 1413279

Angular Doors: Look at the sloping angle on the door. Although the angle is not prominent in the image attached, but the angle is very prominent in reality.

I stood few centimeters away from the door on outside and opened the door slightly fast (some issue with the door, not opening smoothly with all the covers on seats, doorpads etc). My eye line (slightly bent) is looking towards the glass area on the door. Because the door is angled outward towards the top, the top of the door hit me very hard on forehead.

Guys, if you are more than 5'10", make sure you open the door standing with enough distance between you and the door.

I'm not sure if I had explained the situation clearly, i'll try to make out a picture tomorrow and post it.

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-green.jpg

Overall its a mixed bag for me. I'll wait to test drive the T8 variant before forming an opinion.
mrbaddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:35   #797

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

The looks of this vehicle is smashing. I am not going to humour the apologists for Jap cars. Tell me which SUV (a proper one) is not boxy? Why do go gungho about all those boxy designs and bash this one up. Throw stones at M & M for fit & finish, which I hear has improved drastically, but being over critical about the design of TUV 300 is hypocritical. Ever seen a Landcruiser? The Ford Endeavour? Come on, this is a fantastically good looking SUV (show me the rule book which ostracises <4m SUVs ), which has great features (salute to M & M for offering safety features at least in the + option) and has been priced exactly where most of us were hoping it would be. Last but not the least, anyone who says an EcoSport is a better looking car than the TUV 300, needs to buy a curvy sedan, before he loses the urge to do so. This looks WAY better than an EcoSport.

Disclaimer : I don't work for M & M , in any direct or indirect way, and I don't even own a M & M product! Stop bashing a perfect design, for the heck of it and if you still feel the urge, think about the monstrosities which Maruti launches in the name of small car designs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2015 at 09:28. Reason: wud > would, u > you. Please avoid SMS lingo while posting on the forums.
saranhere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 21:18   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
Disclaimer : I don't work for M & M , in any direct or indirect way, and I don't even own a M & M product ! Stop bashing a perfect design, for the heck of it and if u still feel the urge, think about the monstrosities which Maruti launches in the name of small car designs.
Relax buddy.!

Everyone here is just presenting their perspectives on the car and it doesnt mean its outright ugly and worse.

You have also mentioned that Ecosport is ugly, but its one the blockbusters in market. Its all down individual intrests. Peace

TUV300 not bad at all and even people who have mentioned it as ugly, have appereciated M & M for the efforts they have put in.

On lighter note- The sheer number of volumes sold by Jap's speaks for the fact that they are not bad at all in terms of design
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 21:21   #799
Senior - BHPian

Came back from a short test drive of the TOUGH vehicle.
Lets start with the design. Head on, it looks huge! The high bonnet is really something. Even Scorpio and XUV have lower bonnets. Move to the side, and things start getting a little awkward, though not bad. Some changes like body cladding and blackening of C pillar will make it look better. Actually, the car looks fine when viewed from 3 quarters, any three quarter!
Looks are the most talked about factor in this thread, but in person, I find it totally acceptable. Not jaw dropping, but acceptable.
Lets, get to the interiors. The seats are comfortable all round. But I found under thigh support little on the shorter side on the rear bench. Front seats are comfortable, with a commanding position. We rarely get to view bonnet from the drivers seat now a days, that's refreshing. But, I would also like you to take notice that even after setting the seats on highest position, you don't sit like you are on the dining table. I mean, the Ritz has more travel. Most of the people wont change it from highest position.
The air conditioning is top notch. Its a chiller, no need of 2nd row vents.
Though it looks big on outside, and is pretty wide, it is fairly manoeuvrable. The steering is on the heavier side, but not concerning. Riding in urban environment wont be a headache. The ride on smooth roads is pretty flat. No turbo lag at all, packs quite a punch low end. The engine is smooth for a three potter. Also, the light clutch should be mentioned.
And here ends all the acceptable to good parts. Lets start with the major downer.
Its the NVH. I cranked the engine, and thought, ''Wow! It sounds''. I kept thinking, may be the noise will go off once in mid range or in cruising speed. But it stays! What a downer. And the funny part is that there is more noise inside the car than outside. Its relatively silent.
Another point that was concerning is fitment of parts. At the end of TD, I hears squeak from the left side, maybe left door. The doors are pretty light too.
The car is heavy, and that shows. The progress is slow. Although torque is available , but it is no way a quick mover. Actually, it is city environment in which it will be totally at home.
That's it! I will only suggest it to someone, if Mahindra improves the NVH.
fz_rider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 22:00   #800
BHPian

This is exactly what happens when you put out misleading teasers.The sketches created so much hype around this thing and made us to believe something that it was not. This aint no SUV,this aint no tough utility vehicle.This aint no off-roader. The Bolero is crying in the corner.
And no you cant "Put some off road bumpers and overhead lights" on this thing and wander off into the jungle like the lady in the presentation said.

The leaked pics before looked kinda okay but the final product is quite disappointing.
The plus point would be the interiors.Reports about the NVH levels are conflicting.
Old 11th September 2015, 22:41   #801
BHPian

I too happened to see a White TUV doing TD in person today. The front design is major dampner. It looks like its a vehicle on stilts. A few curves would have been welcome. Maybe some lower part of the bumper / body could have been blackened out to give a sense of proportion. Let's see what the official TBHP review concludes.

Last edited by pugram : 11th September 2015 at 22:42.
Old 12th September 2015, 00:34   #802
BHPian

I actually think the design is quite decent, if a bit quirky from certain angles. It definitely is no Xylo, and maybe eventually people will warm up to the looks, once more TUV's are seen on roads.
Interior seems fine too. No major flaw heard of yet, and the jump seats and AMT are clever additions by Mahindra to boost practicality. However, people should realise this interior cannot be compared to an i20 or Polo despite the similar pricing. On its own it's quite good. And the safety kit is good news as well.

The main question now, that could perhaps decide its fate in the market is the road behavior. That will also be comprehensively answered in the official review. Hope it is decent. I personally think this car is good enough to meet an ordinary customer's expectations.
It is only that the premium hatches or sedans are really superior in terms of quality and dynamics, that makes it look inferior, which it actually is not in isolation.

But the weirdest part I find is the quiet omission of 4WD!! I mean, they call it a "true-blue SUV", compare it with battle tanks, show it breaking (literally ) through gates, and then ultimately launch it in RWD only!! :banghead: Doesn't make sense at all.

It is like releasing a new phone with solid features, a great price, then attracting people by calling it an 'ultimate phone' and then quietly announcing "SIM card slot will be added in future variants."!!

And actually, I would say it also nicely suits a neat little niche in the market. Consider those who are aspiring to own an SUV within this price range, but:
1. Need something that is compact and efficient, unlike the gargantuan XUV or Safari

2. Has the character of a proper SUV and not a hatch on stilts like the Ecosport, or a sedan on stilts like the Creta

3. Can serve them satisfactorily as an urban car and yet give them the proper SUV feel

4. Find the Bolero too utilitarian (and let's just not bring the Quanto here)

Such people now have a real option in the TUV. And I'm sure there must be a lot of such people. And here, the "SUV character" whatever Mahindra have given it, will be crucial to appeal to them.
In fact, anyone looking for a compact SUV (NOT car), but not having zeroed in on a particular car would have the TUV quite high up their list.

But yes, it won't have a customer base of it's own, like the Thar, the Bolero, or Fiats or Fords. It will have to survive by attracting customers from other cars. Which could be any car from the Bolero to the Creta.
For one, it is definitely better than all the 'Cross' hatches and the Quanto, and putting together their sales, it makes a decent potential number. So we can say it will sell decently enough.

Last edited by mukul32 : 12th September 2015 at 00:45.
mukul32 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 02:36   #803
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if anyone noticed this: the AMT variants seem to be detuned (81 bhp) compared to the manual version (84 bhp). Assuming that the underlying gearbox is the same, the detune appears surprising.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-detune.jpg  

theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 05:10   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Assuming that the underlying gearbox is the same, the detune appears surprising.
Plausibly, to smoothen out the jerky AMT to a degree. I hope test drive reports will clear the air on this.
Old 12th September 2015, 08:45   #805

I wonder how much TUV300 will dent Quanto and upcoming Quanto refresh market!
Old 12th September 2015, 09:51   #806
Senior - BHPian

Opinions on the styling are quite a mix bag! I think it's more because of personal preferences.

I L-O-V-E boxy designs on SUVs. Some of the best looking SUVs according to me are -

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-1.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-7_1.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-566c304a791c8bd84613a231f170f4afx.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-dsc00846.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-hummerh3.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-landroverdiscovery13.jpg

I do not consider softer designs like the below as SUVs. Yes, they are called "crossovers"! But even if they are technically capable off road, they just do not evoke that macho feel!

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-2015mazdacx9_100489869_h.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-6476.jpg

I have a XUV, it is a practical and spacious vehicle, but is not a SUV! I believe the TUV with good body cladding and fatter M/T tyres can look good.

Point is - if someone is on a budget and does not need a hardcore off roader, the TUV is a vehicle which can give them the pleasure of owning a "SUV". It is definitely not a blown up hatch like the Ecosport.

Also, the TUV has almost the same length as the Ecosport and still manages to have more space plus two seats extra! That is the benefit of a "box"! It is obviously easier to design a curvy 5 seater in the sub 4 metre segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Consider this:
An urban customer, whose is looking at Ecosport, Duster / Terrano, Creta in 8-12L range - would they ever come and have a look at TUV 300? I mean, who wants jump seats in a compact SUV? Isn't that enough turn off?
Why is that a turn off? Isn't it added versatility? If you do not want 7 seats, why would you buy a TUV? Or simply undo 4 bolts and throw out the jump seats!

Quote:
(Off topic, I know there are costlier trims of Duster / Creta, and these cars are not under 4m. But honestly, as a customer, do we really care, whether it sticks to 4m rule or not?)
It affects the pricing and that is how it matters to us.

Quote:
Consider a rural customer - who purchases Bolero / Scorpio / Sumo / Safari etc. They need a plain utilitarian off-roader. I don't think, having bluetooth connectivity, steering mounted controls, keyless entry etc add any useful value. I don't think they would be willing to pay Bolero's price for low powered, smaller car, for these additional extras.
Bolero has roughly the same power with lesser space and safety.

Quote:
One point about the price: Bolero comes under 27% excise duty, has 2.5L Diesel and greater than 4m. TUV 300 is less than 4m, 1.5L Diesel, pays 12% excise duty, but still priced greater than Bolero. I don't think it is justified.
Though we do not have the crash test reports, M&M claims this chassis meets the safety standards set for 2019. The additional price you pay is for a newer and comparatively safer car.

It is like saying, the Ambassador is bigger than the Polo and i20, why should we pay more for the hatchbacks!

Quote:
As other media's say, this isn't a killer price tag - nobody is going to run to this car, just because Creta / S-Cross / Jazz etc were priced high recently.
Cars have become costlier in India and that is what has reflected across all the segments. If you need to judge the pricing, you will obviously need to have a point of reference to compare.

TUV is cheaper than the Ecosport, it's main sub 4m rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Have you personally driven the car to state that the torque is very good from 1500 rpm itself? M&M vehicles are not known for easy urban drivability. More suited for rural applications and load carriers.
Have you driven the Scorpio, XUV and the Bolero?

All M&M engines are a delight to drive irrespective of their engine power. That is because of their low end torque and negligible turbo lag.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th September 2015 at 09:53.
raj_5004 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 10:18   #807
Senior - BHPian

So, the Quanto will be discontinued now? Any news on that?
Old 12th September 2015, 10:29   #808
BANNED

I think I like the styling of the TUV 300, it is boxy but that is how it should be. I am quite fed up with the curvy designs proliferating right from 2L Nano to 30L Audi. These svelte designs sure looks aerodynamic on cars but not on SUVs. The SUVs look good with angular construction.

I actually would have liked the TUV more if they had given it Endeavor like headlamps instead of the the XUV ones. And the power is decent but another 10BHP and it would have been perfect. The rear does look fabulous though. I guess the rear wheel drive is a definitely a plus.

Last edited by zaks : 12th September 2015 at 10:38.
Old 12th September 2015, 10:35   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X202 View Post
I wonder how much TUV300 will dent Quanto and upcoming Quanto refresh market!
It is not the question of how the TUV will dent the Quanto's market. The market virtually belongs to the TUV now. The question now is, how much will the upcoming Quanto itself affect the TUV? And I should think not too much.
Old 12th September 2015, 10:37   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
So, the Quanto will be discontinued now? Any news on that?
No Mahindra Quanto is going to stay here, even its going to get a facelift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks