Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 15:21   #706
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

How the poor palio was pilloried for having a 5.2 M turning radius in its time!
Hehe, Whenever I take a U turn in my Palio, co-passengers look at my face and my reply is - Oh this, this is a Palio special - 3 point U -turn

I wonder what will one have to say while trying the same in the TUV 300
Old 10th September 2015, 15:38   #707
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The weight seems excessive to me, per the GVW rating (or am I wrong).

The turning radius is indeed FIT for a tank - 5.35M.

How the poor palio was pilloried for having a 5.2 M turning radius in its time!
This is too much of we compare it with 5.4m turning radius of Storms and GW of Storms or Scorpio.
This vehicle is also ugly to look at. Mahindra designs XUV and then take a break to give us ugly Quanto, bring good looking Scorpio and take break for TUV. They might have two design teams.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 15:45   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Different people, different expectations, different priorities.

I have had the Innova and the XUV at one point (before I sold the Innova) and the XUV does seem better in every aspect. So it is not true that our Indian manufacturers cannot design better vehicles than the Japs.
What is your take on Civic versus the XUV build quality? I don't think this is apple-oranges comparison since I do not treat XUV as SUV. How does the direct flick of hand brake lever from civic in XUV feels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Mahindra deserve a pat on the back for safety. ABS+EBD is standard across all variants except the base T4. 2 airbags either available as an option or standard on all variants.
Correction, its not all variants. T4 included completes the variant list. I cannot give a pat on their back since they still leave T4 customers vulnerable to fatalities. Remember that Mahindra vehicles are notoriously known for fatal accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Your comments are absurd. While the final finish could be an issue, quality cannot be questioned atleast from Mahindra and Ford point of view. I have worked in both Ford and Mahindra plants. Both adopt to the similar quality standards. The question would be the access to quality finish that Ford or Toyota has compared to Mahindra. Have a look at TATA Zest, if the brand TATA is removed from the car, it is nothing second to your toyota. By the way, I have a MM 540 still going strong after 19 hard-working years!
I am sorry but I am finding this comment highly absurd, since every single person in this forum understand the definition of quality and everyone understands that Mahindra scores least in that area.

Let me put my perception since I am in the market for SUV or SUV-like car currently.
TUV design looks like a failed attempt of a roadside mechanic to modify a sumo. The design reminds me of SUMO Grande, Premier Rio etc. category of designs. These disasters are similar to current Hero Karizma, Hero Passion Sport bikes.
Now, why I am abusing Mahindra car so much? I own one of them currently side by side to a Fiat

My 12k kms done E2O is 2013 model and I get to hear sound from every nook and corner of the car. The infotainment touch screen is moody and starts applications of its own. The brakes have given up and is highly unpredictable. The push start+ key swipe has a brain of itself which is sleeping for first 2 attempts to start the car.
The charging board came with the car has to be hit a couple of times to make it work.
The front seat slider sometimes fail to lock, which is dangerous at times.
And my 7 lakhs car does not have ABS+EBD+Airbag etc.
The car body rolls at speeds higher than 40 kmph lol ! .

Call up the Mahindra support center and all they are taught is how to greet you nicely, and that is The End. When my charging board was not working i.e. I was unable to charge the car I was told to bring the car to service station lol. I don't know if that person was on high or something.

Come to my Fiat, 5 years 52k kms done, no problems at all. No feeling of anything wearing out or turning old. Handling and braking is world class. The car feels newer than other new non-Fiat cars of same or higher price.
Fiat regarded my complaint against the rusting boot which was initally painted by dealership and the same got repainted months after extended warranty was over. I think Mahindra will take a few decade to reach there.

Go to a Mahindra showroom and see what is known as attitude, I am sure even VW people may be put to shame.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 10th September 2015 at 15:50.
Speed Pujari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:04   #709
Senior - BHPian

Expected a lot more from Mahindra. Fit and finish looks an issue that Mahindra is continuing to struggle.
Safety given priority with ABS and Airbags available across the variants. Clap.

Is this a 3 cylinder block as on the Xylo?

Space seems decent. Weight seems absurd for a vehicle this size.BHP/ton and the torque/ton are really going to take a beating.

The top model is going to cost around 12 lakh OTR Bangalore.Not sure if it's the right money for an 84BHP mini SUV lugging 2 tons?Last but not the least. If I take an U turn, I probably surface in another city. Lol.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:14   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

There is nothing like being absurd here - everyone can express his opinions and I stand to what I have written .
Dear Friend, you have every right the way all of us have. Even my opinion stands. Your point of discussion was 'quality' of material. I work for a company which sets automation for production lines. I have extensively worked in Scorpio and Ford production lines. There is no second question about the quality of material used by both. Yes, the fit and finish is a long way for Indian manufacturer to reach. However, have a feel of zest and you would understand we are second to none. This is due to low access to technology and customer expectations.

At a more lighter note, never visit toilets or even kitchens of Haldirams or any Bhavans, you would end up never having food outside.
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:18   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I take back my words after seeing the official 360 deg pic...
+1 to that. The first set of scoop pics really made it look like a quanto.

In the 360' degree view it looks more matured and not an eyesore at all.

This makes me think how brilliant we are in judging things before having a clear look at it
RJ411 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:23   #712
BHPian

An interesting point noted on their website is that its a 'Rear Wheel Drive'.

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-tuv.png

Source: www.mahindratuv300.com
neeld is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:27   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
+1 to that. The first set of scoop pics really made it look like a quanto.

In the 360' degree view it looks more matured and not an eyesore at all.

This makes me think how brilliant we are in judging things before having a clear look at it
Agree 100%. The spy pics looked bad. I like the looks. Am sure that this will be better in person. A good alternative to the Ecosport. Best is AMT in Diesel. Kudos to Mahindra for receiving feedback from the market.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:30   #714
Senior - BHPian

Looks decent in these colours -

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-tuv_360_15.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-tuv_360_16.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
What is your take on Civic versus the XUV build quality? I don't think this is apple-oranges comparison since I do not treat XUV as SUV. How does the direct flick of hand brake lever from civic in XUV feels?
Civic has one of the best interiors in the segment. The plastics have really held up well without rattling. The engine is super refined too. However, all said and done, the XUV's interior does pamper me more. The seats are much better, there are soft touch plastics in all the contact points, even the storage spaces are felt lined and there are infinitely more creature comforts.

Also, the Civic is no lesser of an evil - it has all the issues which I do not expect from a relible Japanese sedan - failed wheel bearings, failed engine mounts, noisy rear suspension, leaking steering rack and power steering pump! 80% of these issues are common to the Civic (if you research the Civic threads online) and I have bought this to the attention of Honda. My car was under extended warranty too. Yet, they did not honor my warranty claim and did nothing but show arrogance.

Since we are talking about build quality... yes, the Civic feels well built but it is also charging a premium, doesn't it? Does the Brio and Mobilio feel as well built as the Civic?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th September 2015 at 16:36.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 16:31   #715
Senior - BHPian

Overall vehicle looks good, much better than expected. Interior looks nice comparing to bad looking other Mahindra vehicles. Safety equipments like ABS and dual airbags right from second variant is a good move by Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
At a more lighter note, never visit toilets or even kitchens of Haldirams or any Bhavans, you would end up never having food outside.
OT - I gauge overall cleanliness of a restaurant by checking how they are maintaining their rest room.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:48   #716
BHPian

I like the looks, especially in blue. Much better than how Yeti looks.

But only 85 bhp is a serious miss as per me, also I hope they sell it with 5 seats and not 7.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:52   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

The TUV300 in pictures, courtesy IAB:

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300enginebaylaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300dashboardlaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300interiorlaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300launchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300rearseatslaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300rearjumpseatslaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300centerconsolelaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300instrumentdialslaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300alloyrimslaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindratuv300rearlaunchedinindia900x600.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:06   #718

The TUV 3OO Price list for Bangalore is attached. Interesting to see that the dealer has not mentioned the Handling Charges seperately. Seems busy calculating the same.

The Test Drives shall start from Friday noon or Saturday only as the vehicles are still to be registered. Though the TUV 3OO makes an interesting case with the apt pricing and the VFM strategy that Mahindra has adopted off later for their products.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-tuv-price-list-blr.jpg  

Last edited by LkoNawab : 10th September 2015 at 17:31. Reason: Added the attachment
LkoNawab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:29   #719
BHPian

Well, at least the interiors are of a decent design and the fit and finish looks good in the pics. I didn't like the exteriors, it just doesn't feel right (to me, of course!)

What I can't certainly digest is the power window buttons on the console. I think Mahindra HAS to have some quirk or the other, so that
"gaadi ko nazar na lag jaye"
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:35   #720
BHPian

I absolutely love the fact that Mahindra has a "+" version for each variant, with "+" signifying presence of all safety features! This is brilliant, kudos to Mahindra for that!

I believe it's a wonderful practice for other OEM's to follow; so that safety conscious folks will be able to choose the version they prefer and afford.

Let this be a trend for something logical and brilliant.
teemus is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks