Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 20:33   #1
BHPian

RTO registration delays with freshly launched cars

Hello all BHPians,

We bought the New Polo 1.5 TDI copper orange from VW Delhi West. We took the delivery on 23/07/2014 and all the payment was made on or before that day. The car is hypothecated with Syndicate Bank.

VW Delhi West says that there is some issue with the registration of the New Polo TDI in Delhi and hence car delivered to us was with normal plates and not the HSRPs.

It has been so many days and they have been saying that so far they haven't been able to sort out the problem.

Today, they told us to change the number alloted to us and shift it ahead so that the 20 odd cars that have been delivered to customers after us can be registered as the registration process moves in sequential numbers and hence unless our car is registered those cars can't be.

We haven't agreed and we don't want to budge as the number we chose is to our liking and is good.

Now, my queries are -

1.) The dealer says that the RTO issue is because a new engine has been introduced !! What exactly can be the reason for the registration problems ?

2.) The documents given to us so far nowhere mention the number allotted to us, although we have the normal plates on the car, pictures clicked on delivery day outside the showroom, entry on the dealer's register for gate pass before delivery. Can the dealer change the number even if we disagree ?

Need help and suggestions urgently !
Thanks.
Old 8th August 2014, 21:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: RTO registration delays with freshly launched cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Now, my queries are -

1.) The dealer says that the RTO issue is because a new engine has been introduced !! What exactly can be the reason for the registration problems ?

2.) The documents given to us so far nowhere mention the number allotted to us, although we have the normal plates on the car, pictures clicked on delivery day outside the showroom, entry on the dealer's register for gate pass before delivery. Can the dealer change the number even if we disagree ?

Thanks.
Can answer the first one (This is from experience in Bangalore. Should be the same all over). Typically once a new engine/model which is not in the RTO database is introduced, it can take up to a month after the car is launched in market for the details to be updated in the RTO Database. Unless this happens the RTO cannot complete the registration. A fellow member experienced the same when the Vento AT with the 1.2 TSI was launched.

On your 2nd question, since it is not officially registered yet, I assume they can go ahead and register another car with the number allotted to you without informing you. And once they do that, there is nothing you can do. But it would be unethical on their part to do that and since they already delivered your car with plates (which itself I think they are not supposed to do without officially completing registration), they can be vulnerable if you raise a complaint (If there is some place you can actually complain on this)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th August 2014 at 21:07. Reason: Additional Content
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 21:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Typically once a new engine/model which is not in the RTO database is introduced, it can take up to a month after the car is launched in market for the details to be updated in the RTO Database. Unless this happens the RTO cannot complete the registration. A fellow member experienced the same when the Vento AT with the 1.2 TSI was launched.
Quote:
Have heard about lot of RTO related issues but haven't heard about this. This means the other 1.5 TDI owners should also have faced the same issue? There are many 1.5 owners on the TBhp as well but so far none have reported such issue.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 21:14   #4
BHPian

There is a delay sometimes in the RTO getting updated with a newly launched car or even a revised model (which is strange - shows how slow the system works). I have faced this issue for more than 1 car. That is when I purchased a newly launched car and got my car from the 1st lot itself, I've had to wait till RTO got their database updated with this car. Happened with my Yeti as well as Micra CVT.

If the other 20 cars you mentioned are older models, then it could be this issue only in which case you can let them go ahead with the reg. of other cars.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 21:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Have heard about lot of RTO related issues but haven't heard about this. This means the other 1.5 TDI owners should also have faced the same issue? There are many 1.5 owners on the TBhp as well but so far none have reported such issue.
It depends on the RTO also. The database is not centralized and it can be that there is a delay in a specific RTO.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 21:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Whenever a new engine or a new car is introduced, there are chances of delay in registration of the vehicle at RTO office. This is due to local office not getting updated information on new models in time. My registration file had to wait for some time when i bought the first batch Punto in 2009.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 22:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On your 2nd question, since it is not officially registered yet, I assume they can go ahead and register another car with the number allotted to you without informing you. And once they do that, there is nothing you can do. But it would be unethical on their part to do that and since they already delivered your car with plates (which itself I think they are not supposed to do without officially completing registration), they can be vulnerable if you raise a complaint (If there is some place you can actually complain on this)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If the other 20 cars you mentioned are older models, then it could be this issue only in which case you can let them go ahead with the reg. of other cars.
I don't know the details, but among those 20 odd cars, there might be some old polos, ventos, new polo petrol and 1-2 new polo diesel. I've seen atleast one new polo diesel bearing a number that comes after my number, although none of these cars have the HSRPs.

Coming to the 2nd query I had -

Old 8th August 2014, 23:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

When the car has not been registered yet, how can you run on any number plate yet. Ideally once a number is allotted, the RTO issues you the tax slip and all and the process is complete. So what exactly do you mean by the number allotted?
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 23:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
When the car has not been registered yet, how can you run on any number plate yet. Ideally once a number is allotted, the RTO issues you the tax slip and all and the process is complete. So what exactly do you mean by the number allotted?
The SA asked do you have any preference for a particular number, I told him the number. On the delivery day, I get the car with normal plastic number plates having that number and no registration or tax papers. I'm told that the registration process will take time and till then I should avoid driving the car and even if I do feel the urge to drive I should do so in nearby localities or within colony roads to avoid being stopped by traffic police.

The dealer has given delivery of several cars like this and even today I saw a Vento being delivered with a number that is sequentially 26 more than my number, as in, ideally there have to be 25 other cars between my car and that Vento.
Old 8th August 2014, 23:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not an expert at this but this is illegal IMO. You cannot drive the car as it has not been registered. For instance if you cause and accident and run away, how can anyone trace you since the RTO will have no record of the car. The number is permanent only when the RTO issues you the receipt.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 23:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
hence car delivered to us was with normal plates and not the HSRPs
Are you meaning 'normal' as in non-HSRP permanent plates? If so this is somewhat surprising. A delay in updating the RTO database ought to affect the delay in permanent registration as a whole. The HSRP plate fitment is by an authorised vendor (from experience in Kolkata) and they only ask for a copy of the RC to be deposited with the cash along with details -- meaning it a pre-requisite for the car to be duly registered. So if the database is not updated how did you get the normal plates in the first place?
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 23:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not an expert at this but this is illegal IMO. You cannot drive the car as it has not been registered. For instance if you cause and accident and run away, how can anyone trace you since the RTO will have no record of the car. The number is permanent only when the RTO issues you the receipt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Are you meaning 'normal' as in non-HSRP permanent plates? If so this is somewhat surprising. A delay in updating the RTO database ought to affect the delay in permanent registration as a whole. The HSRP plate fitment is by an authorised vendor (from experience in Kolkata) and they only ask for a copy of the RC to be deposited with the cash along with details -- meaning it a pre-requisite for the car to be duly registered. So if the database is not updated how did you get the normal plates in the first place?

Yes, I mean very normal, rather poor cheap plastic quality plates.

And yes IMO also this is a wrong practice, and just to clarify, I've not driven the car like this except to-and-fro the dealership for the accessories. The car has been parked at my place only since delivery.

Today also, the showroom guys stated the same to convince me to leave the number that your car has not been registered and hence the number can be changed, so I should change my number so that the other cars can get registered first and I should wait some more days for my car's registration

I mean I'm nowhere at fault, I've paid the full amount and if there were issues the dealership ought to solve them and not ask me to move at the end of the queue

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 8th August 2014 at 23:47.
Old 8th August 2014, 23:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all BHPians,

We bought the New Polo 1.5 TDI copper orange from VW Delhi West. We took the delivery on 23/07/2014 and all the payment was made on or before that day. The car is hypothecated with Syndicate Bank.
Thanks.
The same problem happened with my neighbour when he bought his newly introduced first gen i20.

Let me explain the registration process to the best of my knowledge.

In Delhi to help the consumer avoid hassles of registration, every dealer is authorised to register the car on behalf of the Regional Transport Office. On the other hand you may have noticed in other threads from down south where the new owner's take their cars to the RTO.

Most dealers are allotted series such as DL 8C Z ****.

Since the dealer has to get the car registered it is usually done after the actual sale.
Now your model still has to be updated in the RTO and in the 15 odd days since you bought your car the dealer obviously has sold more cars in different older models for eg: Jetta or Vento which can be registered.

There obviously lies his problem : Letting a large number of unregistered Cars run on the road, so the dealer wants you to choose a different number in the future series so his other cars can be registered(sequentially) thus lessening the number and leaving only the Polo Diesels unregistered.

You seem to have no other option other than choosing a different number.
I would suggest that you try and reason with the dealer on why you want that number and if they can work their way around.

Cheers.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th August 2014 at 01:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts as it causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Jag4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 23:55   #14
BANNED

I guess you have selected the number from the series dealer offered to you & the dealer made the number plate with your no desired no & put it on your car (As of now Its a kind of fake number) as dealer just told you verbally that number is alloted to you but not given any papers/receipt not mentioning of that no in any paper.

If any will stop you, you'll be in trouble as you can't produce any proof that number is alloted to you so others will think that you're running on fake plate & dealer will be in question.

These things spoil the dealer & deal, S.A should have told you clearly about this earlier.
unknown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 00:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I guess you have selected the number from the series dealer offered to you & the dealer made the number plate with your no desired no & put it on your car (As of now Its a kind of fake number) as dealer just told you verbally that number is alloted to you but not given any papers/receipt not mentioning of that no in any paper.

If any will stop you, you'll be in trouble as you can't produce any proof that number is alloted to you so others will think that you're running on fake plate & dealer will be in question.

These things spoil the dealer & deal, S.A should have told you clearly about this earlier.

I know and understand all that you say, but my original query was -

The dealer is asking me to leave that number and let the other cars get registered and take a number say that is 20 more than the original, so that till that time the problem of new polo 1.5 TDI being updated at RTO is solved. But, in that case I'll have to wait even more (already more than 15 days) as I'm literally moving from the front of the queue to the end of the queue.

I know that that number is not yet mine on paper, but atleast verbally yes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks