Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 15:42   #16
BHPian

This seems to be an upward swing for GM. And with the Cruze on the anvil be ready for some heated action in September. Just read on BSMotoring website. The entry-level petrol Cruze is priced below 12L which can potentially dent Civic and Camry's sales and not to mention a diesel in 13-14L range. With Beat probable launch in November/December GM has two competitive products in market.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that Honda will put in more accessories to their product line now once the sales really start to slump, and call it the Jazz, City and Civic ZX! Personally speaking, Honda should bring down the cost before they start facing serious losses.

Toyota has emerged winners in all their favourite segments - Innova, Altis and Fortuner have turned the tables in their favour. Once they start making the Camry in India and price it attractively, I am sure they will eat up Accord and Superb too.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Is it imported because I see very little production over the last few months.
i wonder why they are not lowering the prices then. If they are able to sell imported Fabia @4.4L, they sure can sell home made Fabias at a much lower price. May be Petrol Fabia @3.5L will be a good option.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:55   #19
oss
BHPian

@vasudeva: You've made my day.

Fantastic review by GTO & Vasudeva.
Old 9th September 2009, 16:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Palio is doing any good numbers (Ie >100). Can we get the exact data between Punto and Palio?
Old 9th September 2009, 16:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I dont think Palio is doing any good numbers (Ie >100). Can we get the exact data between Punto and Palio?
The excel sheet has the split. Palio at 11 and remaining Punto. So, Punto doing good to start with. I would expect more of Fiat cars going forward as people are aware of Fiat cars now only (seriously, I mean it).
Old 9th September 2009, 16:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
According to figs quoted in a separate thread, Palio sold 11 in 8/09, and Punto 1819.
Old 9th September 2009, 16:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
The excel sheet has the split. Palio at 11 and remaining Punto. So, Punto doing good to start with. I would expect more of Fiat cars going forward as people are aware of Fiat cars now only (seriously, I mean it).
To understand why the numbers are less than expected, let me narrate an instance that happened yesterday. I was having a chat with my friends over the evening coffee. Eventually the topic turned towards new cars in the market. They were stunned to know that Fiat had actually launched a car over the years. All they know is Palio and nothing beyond. And its really surprising as to why FIAT is doing nothing to increase the market awareness on its product offerings. I'm as stunned as my friends are over the lack of publicity.

Quote:
According to figs quoted in a separate thread, Palio sold 11 in 8/09, and Punto 1819.
I have some news on the Palio and its numbers. Will put a new thread on it soon along with a trip log relevant to Fiat.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 9th September 2009 at 16:33.
Old 9th September 2009, 16:36   #24
BHPian

Thanks GTO & Vasudeva. Great job again . Its always a Pleasure to read this thread

IMO Mr Karl Sym is the man of the moment . Inspite of all difficult times back Home , The president & MD of GM India has really put his tooth n toungue to retain the confidence of indian customers in the american brand . result : Satisfactory sales MOM than loosing gound

Last edited by Dippy : 9th September 2009 at 17:48.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Great Report GTO & Vasudeva.....A big surprise for me is of Honda Jazz. Eventhough considering its atrocious pricing i had felt that Honda would have a winner in its hand considering the Indian psyche towards the "H" brand.Declining sales in third month of launch is indeed bad news. Expect discounts and freebies if this continues.
Today the papers in Goa reported some schemes for the Jazz, cashback, accessories offered, etc, if you book by 15th September. Honda is taking notice. I would not be surprised if this ends in alloy wheels, etc thrown in.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Thanks GTO & Vasudeva. Great job again . Its always a Pleasure to read this thread

IMO Mr Karl Sym is the man of the moment . Inspite of all difficult times back Home , The president & MD of GM India has really put his tooth n toungue to retain the confidence of indian customers in the american brand . result : Satisfactory sales MOM than loosing gound
Ten consecutive months of sales decline for GM. Even in compact segment, which is growing, sales growth is lower than the segment growth. Consider this: sales growing in low value segments, but declining in higher priced segment. What does that mean for sales value and profitability. Volumes down, value down, then what is up.

GM can comfort itself that the rate of volume decline has narrowed from double digits to single digits, primarily because of growth in compact segment.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:36   #27
BHPian

Well declining sales in higher priced segments indicates a soon to become extinct product but that does not reflect anything on values. A declining sales with no option on horizon can definitely point to something amiss. I do not think this is the case with GM.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

A thread on alleged Indian prejudice towards Hyundai was closed. However, this figure may be illustrative. Inspite of spending 421 million dollars on `reinventing the laws of automotive engineering', Hyundai's share in India is not defying the laws of physics and not escaping the gravitational pull. Up and down with no clear upward trend.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-document2.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009, 17:51   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Does the 4100 Toyota Utility vehicles include the Fortuner?
Would probably include the early bookings & despatches. A clearer picture would only emerge in the coming months.

Quote:
1. Fabia: 0 production in 8/2009. Guess the reason for 4.43 lakhs. They also had 0 production in 7/2009, and 10 in 6/2009.
Stock clearance sale, you bet.

Quote:
That is not typical of Honda and indicates huge overproduction.
I have news that by the time they informed the part suppliers, it was too late. I don't think even Honda expected Jazz sales to crash to a 1,000 in only the 3rd month since launch. Eventually, and if nothing changes, the hatch will probably settle down to 600 a month.

Quote:
In fact Honda should introspect as to why it has ceded the lead to Toyota
4 years back, Honda was the consistent no.1 in all the segments that it competed in. The NHC, 16 lakh previous gen-Accord, CRV were all segment leaders. Even the Civic, at time of launch, did respectably well. However, in the recent past, we've seen one too many pricing errors from them (Civic Hybrid, Jazz, CRV shot up, Accord V6 etc.). Over confidence? Competition is cut-throat, so much so that even a Honda can't get away with overpricing. Toyota, in the meanwhile, priced the new Altis well + lots of features. The Innova always offered a lot of car for the money. And I do think the Fortuner is great value, even at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Also it seems many of potential Jazz owners have moved to Fabia considering its consistent increase in sales over past two months.
Its the Fabia's 4.4 lakh rupee special that has led to a surge in demand. I don't believe that hatch has the potential to stick it out in the longer term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
The entry-level petrol Cruze is priced below 12L which can potentially dent Civic and Camry's sales and not to mention a diesel in 13-14L range.
Chevy must tread carefully. The Cruze can very well go the Hyundai Sonata way if the marketing is below the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
IMO Mr Karl Sym is the man of the moment

Quote:
Up and down with no clear upward trend.
IMHO, Hyundai's up down moment in the past couple of months depends more on what their competitors were doing, rather than Hyundai's own activities. Sure, the i20 gave them an unexpected local boost, but nothing really has changed with their volume cars - i10 & the Santro. If Hyundai wants to go over 20K hatchbacks a month, they are going to need to plonk a small diesel under the hood of the i10.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

This shows how Mr. Slym is living up to his name of slimming up GM's volume and value growth. Positive factor: slimming has reduced.
assumptions: Spark/UVA: 4lakhs, Aveo: 6 lakhs, Optra/Tavera: 9 lakhs. Change this and even then figures on value will not change much.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-document2.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks