Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 14:23   #46
BHPian

Polo is being launched with 1.6L petrol (the same one that powers Jetta Petrol). So, I guess the plans may be already in place to phase out the current Jetta Petrol and re-lauch it with 1.8 TSI. Skoda TSI's re-pricing also suggests that they may be creating some space for Jetta TSI to come in. I expect Jetta TSI to sport a DSG auto-transmission as by now they may have got enough feedback on "engine stalling at low speed" which may be a non-issue in Europe but an irritating problem in Indian cities.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:20   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Polo is being launched with 1.6L petrol (the same one that powers Jetta Petrol). So, I guess the plans may be already in place to phase out the current Jetta Petrol and re-lauch it with 1.8 TSI. Skoda TSI's re-pricing also suggests that they may be creating some space for Jetta TSI to come in. I expect Jetta TSI to sport a DSG auto-transmission as by now they may have got enough feedback on "engine stalling at low speed" which may be a non-issue in Europe but an irritating problem in Indian cities.
....Spot on !
Old 12th February 2010, 20:30   #48
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
...if i had the money i would have upgraded to a Laura light years ago.

Lightyear is unit of length, not time. 10^13 kms. You'll need a lot of Lauras to get you home from there.

No offence mobike. This is coz of a dull Friday full of boring meetings at office.
Old 13th February 2010, 00:38   #49
BHPian

I am using Laura TSI for last 1 month (1000+ Kms). I have not seen any problem of stalling in the first gear. Car moves without any problem even at slowest possible speeds.
But with 2nd gear, car can stall if you are below 15 kmph. And riding clutch is strictly not advised.

Can't help saying that this car is unbelievably fast. The sound coming from Turbocharger is so addictive that each day when I get behind the wheel, I feel really excited.

If you really love driving, I would sincerely suggest this car for you.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:14   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
I am using Laura TSI for last 1 month (1000+ Kms). I have not seen any problem of stalling in the first gear. Car moves without any problem even at slowest possible speeds.
But with 2nd gear, car can stall if you are below 15 kmph. And riding clutch is strictly not advised.

Can't help saying that this car is unbelievably fast. The sound coming from Turbocharger is so addictive that each day when I get behind the wheel, I feel really excited.

If you really love driving, I would sincerely suggest this car for you.

+1 to that.
This is an insane engine.
Old 14th February 2010, 17:34   #51
Team-BHP Support

@Saby,

Perfect point. Maybe it would be worth buying the Jetta TSI rather than the Laura TSI; not because of the car, but because of Skoda service.

Having said that I know what are your views are on the Skoda service. I am just re-iterating the general view and not mine. Thats because I don't own a Skoda.
Old 15th February 2010, 00:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
According to ACI, the 1.6 that will power the polo is a generation newer than the jetta's and makes 104 HP. And i remember reading in another thread that abroad they dont sell Jetta's with the TSI engine so its unlikely we'll see it here. I really wish they offer the Laura TSI with a DSG box though, would be quite a monster! Its gonna be a long time till im able to buy one though unfortunately :(

A bit off topic, but do the 1.9 PD engines meet the BS IV norms or will we see new CRDI units?
Old 15th February 2010, 02:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Saby,

Perfect point. Maybe it would be worth buying the Jetta TSI rather than the Laura TSI; not because of the car, but because of Skoda service.

Having said that I know what are your views are on the Skoda service. I am just re-iterating the general view and not mine. Thats because I don't own a Skoda.

Do not worry Saby, most of the people who have an opinion on Skoda service do not own or drive Skodas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
According to ACI, the 1.6 that will power the polo is a generation newer than the jetta's and makes 104 HP. And i remember reading in another thread that abroad they dont sell Jetta's with the TSI engine so its unlikely we'll see it here. I really wish they offer the Laura TSI with a DSG box though, would be quite a monster! Its gonna be a long time till im able to buy one though unfortunately :(

A bit off topic, but do the 1.9 PD engines meet the BS IV norms or will we see new CRDI units?
Does the Laura still come with a PD engine? I thought Skoda moved back to TDi. One thing that I did note is that the new Lauras have less goodies than the pre-facelift ones.

Cheers,
Old 15th February 2010, 11:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Jetta TSI/FSI models are offered in some other APAC countries :
Volkswagen | Jetta
Old 15th February 2010, 16:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Does the Laura still come with a PD engine? I thought Skoda moved back to TDi. One thing that I did note is that the new Lauras have less goodies than the pre-facelift ones.

Cheers,
Yep the current engine is still a PD, the octy has the TDi

Quote:
Jetta TSI/FSI models are offered in some other APAC countries :
Volkswagen | Jetta
Yep thats true, they offer the 1.4 TSI and the 2.0 TSI in the jetta abroad. But from what i read they dont offer the 1.8 TSI, which is why we probably wont see it here. Though even the 1.4 TSI would be a good choice for the Jetta, its avaliable in many states of tune from 120-160HP.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:41   #56
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Does the Laura still come with a PD engine? I thought Skoda moved back to TDi.
Quote:
Yep the current engine is still a PD, the octy has the TDi
Both Octy & Laura (even Superb for that matter) come with TDI-PD engine.

Only Passat has been given the TDI-CR engine so far.
Old 15th February 2010, 22:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Both Octy & Laura (even Superb for that matter) come with TDI-PD engine.

Only Passat has been given the TDI-CR engine so far.
No the Octy and Laura have different engines, Octy has a TDI engine while the Laura and Superb have a TDI-PD engine
Old 17th February 2010, 10:04   #58
BHPian

I read the same ad in Pune and called Asset Auto for a test drive. Though the car is awesome with the turbo kicking in at almost 1500RPM and giving the car almost race car performance, the OTR for the 1.8TSi is 14.79 lacs which includes 60K insurance. Yes, you read it right, 60k for insurance. And it does not have even leather at that price. Not to forget, the evaluator from Skoda will make you "feel like being abusive" after he is done seeing your car. Also 8k for every service done.

Cruze is the best choice but suffers from brand image. But Skoda is clearly ripping the customers. The salesman told me, 11.99lacs is just nothing.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:32   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
I read the same ad in Pune and called Asset Auto for a test drive. Though the car is awesome with the turbo kicking in at almost 1500RPM and giving the car almost race car performance, the OTR for the 1.8TSi is 14.79 lacs which includes 60K insurance. Yes, you read it right, 60k for insurance. And it does not have even leather at that price. Not to forget, the evaluator from Skoda will make you "feel like being abusive" after he is done seeing your car. Also 8k for every service done.

Cruze is the best choice but suffers from brand image. But Skoda is clearly ripping the customers. The salesman told me, 11.99lacs is just nothing.

I sold my city to buy the laura. Transferred the 35% NCB from city to laura - saved around 16k on insurance.

Try Europa auto. Their Test drive cars are registered in Pune (MH12) whereas Asset Auto have all their TD cars registered in Nagaland or somewhere in the North East - gives me a feeling that Europa is better when it comes to following the rules of the land! I can give you some reference at Europa if you need.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post

You can definitely get much better insurance quote on Laura in the market. My personal preference goes to Royal Sundaram for three reasons - they are generally quite cheap (since the brand is not popular yet), they give you a free membership to TVS 24x7 roadside assistance (a must have for any car with sparse service network), and they may be the only one in the market offering zero-depreciation cover, a nice-to-have for Skoda/VW cars. I have no idea about their customer service aspects though. My old cas is covered with them for last three years but I never had to deal with them on any claim - so no experience.
In their website, I could derive a quote of about 19K+ for Skoda Laura 1.8TSI (on ex-showroom price 13.05L). The cover can be customized and hence the quote can vary significantly. I took quote from other insurance companies too and the median was aaround 25K and everyone was ready to match each others' quote (but not the online quotes).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks