Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want a Pay and Practice session every month ?
YEs, I want a Pay and Practise session every month 6 33.33%
No, I want a pay and practise session every 3 months 12 66.67%
Youre nuts to be talking Pay and Practise - We'll just watch! 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 22:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful session at the track today. more pics and report soon.
damn damn wish i'd stayed for the group photo, totally forgot. anyways had a lot of fun. only problem was driving with regular road tyres so was always thinking about them and hoping not to wear them out too badly.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Some pics from Saiyans camera.. not too many good pics
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0634-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0637-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0639-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0641-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0642-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0643-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0651-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0654-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0655-large.jpg  

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-img_0644-large.jpg  

Last edited by bottle : 27th July 2009 at 22:40.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:55   #93
BHPian

A few really really really short clips from the last corner. I was not the camera man There was not much on my camera anyway so decided to post everything. Kindly pardon

Neo

Vikram

Bottle

Me

Old 28th July 2009, 00:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
....... but either ways it does not really matter as the whole purpose of the meet was get out on a sunday and have some fun...........

Lets end this and appreciate the good time we had the other day. Photos awaited
Well said P_H. At the end of the day, it was more about having fun and we all did. Lets get Tag Heuer next time, so we dont fight about accuracy of watches next time.
Thank you all, for the participation. Next time, I get spare tyres, you guys will have a run for your money
Old 28th July 2009, 03:14   #95
BHPian

It all started as a light hearted comment from Headers & to my pleasant surprise the track day did happen. Thank you so much for kindling the fire Vikram & thanks Neo for keeping me informed. Loved every minute of being on the track.

We were the first ones to reach the track, followed by neo and then the rest of gang came in. Quick round of "hi's" & "hello's" later we were set. My friend (Bobby) took the car for a couple of laps & immediately it was apparent that it will be fun with these tires. It had no grip whatsoever. We didn't time the first few laps, 'cause we were taking it easy & getting used to the track. After about 5 laps each, we were back to business.

The car was quick, stable around the corners, the tires were squealing as usual. The car ate up laps comfortably only the temperature needle was hovering between half and three fourth mark. It would take only about 2 minutes for it cool down to optimal temp.

Initially I found that I was fumbling with the lines & managing to clock only around 2:37 - 2:38! I consciously made an effort to remember the lines & after a couple of laps, I was able to shave off around 5 seconds easily. The best time I was able to manage was around 2:31 (Ofcourse, its just a rough timing). I more or less knew how the car was handling or so I thought and wanted to push the car bit. I was doing around 120 on the main straight & decided to take the corner without braking. A BIG mistake. I was happy that the car was holding the line well, but about 80% into the corner the rear stepped out & the car fishtailed violently. It swerved to right, I tried
to correct it slightly & all hell broke loose. I had an opposite lock, did a 180 spin & I am starring at the SX4 driven by headers... heading onto me. Looks he had spotted me early enough & passed through me. Petrol_Head who was just entering the track from the pit lane also saw this a started to honk & warn the car behind me. LOL. There you go my first 180 on the track & a valuable lesson learnt.

The next three laps was fun... SX4, Petrol_Head & Me on the track. The SX4 was driven wonderfully by Headers, the IKON was taking the turns effortlessly (so it seemed) & my was accelerating well and I was able to keep up with both these guys. Bumper to Bumper racing! Petrol_Head beautifully overtook the SX4 by taking the inside lane on one of the corners (c8). I was just the SX4 and me now... I tried to overtake by taking the outside line, but the tires just didn't have the grip. But I finally managed to get on the inside just before the C10 and overtook it. I am very sure that Headers wasn't pushing the car to its limits, else it would've been more difficult to get ahead of me. At the end of the day, the car had done about 35 laps. 35 laps of pure adrenalin filled fun.

All the guys on the track displayed great discipline, there were no undue risks taken. We always ensured that the faster car was allowed to go ahead, by stepping out of the racing line. Headers also went around the group before the event started just to remind everyone that its more important be safe and stay within the limits of the car (Nice gesture there buddy).

If there was anybody that I wanted to beat... it was always my own timing and technique. I guess trackdays like these will only help you be more responsible and be well equipped to handle situations that are thrown at you when you are driving on the roads.

A pic of tires (after):

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-my-tire-after.jpg

A few observations about my car & its ability. I am penning this down with ONLY (read negligible) experience of about 60 laps in the MMSC track.

+ves:
Amazing acceleration, the car feels really quick till it hits about 100 - 110
Brakes are adequate for 'normal' i.e., non-competitive style of driving. Brakes did not fade too much even after 30 laps of aggresive driving
Holds the line if you are not pushing it too much on the curves
Very little body roll
The car is well poised & balanced
The car is a lot of fun to drive around the track (does anything else matter? )

-ves:
The tires are BAD. Lacks grip & squeals away to glory at every corner... The biggest inhibiting factor.
Not a great handler, requires a quite a bit of steering input during cornering.
Beyond 120, the acceleration drops quite a bit. The maximum speed I was able to achieve was about 135 (Speedo indicated). Interestingly enough, I was easily able to
cross 140 the last time around.
Drivers competence I guess I have a long way to go even before I can think of aiming sub 2:25.

My aim for the next track day would to increase the top speed. A good filter, throttle body cleanup, engine decarb & injector cleaning should be sufficient to take me
beyond 140 in the long stretch. Better oils is also something that I have in mind, but let see.

A few photos before I signoff...

Neo's SX4:

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-car-1.jpg

Petrol_Head and Slipstream:

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-car-2.jpg

My Car:

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-my-car-1.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-my-car-2.jpg

A couple of race cars being tested:

Zen:

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-race-car-2.jpg

Esteem (This car was super quick):

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-race-car-3.jpg

A few pics of the track (Clicked by my BIL):

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-track-c5.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-track-c6.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-track-c7.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-track-c10-.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-track-c10.jpg

Group pics:

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-group-1.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-group-2.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-group-3.jpg

Thanks for reading a long boring post, my idea was just to share my wonderful experience at the track. Comments / Critique / Suggestions welcome.

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 28th July 2009, 09:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Hey goutham, a nice report..btw, the utube videos posted, that Palio, well the black one looks fast. Bottle - Congrats!
Old 28th July 2009, 11:01   #97
BHPian

where are the videos venom rider?
Old 28th July 2009, 12:01   #98
BHPian

Snapshots

Enroute

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0758.jpg

Uncorking the Bottle at the entry to C1

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0760.jpg

Venom rider spitting some...

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0761.jpg

No clue if it was me or my bro

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0762.jpg

Slipstream - head down and hunt

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0763.jpg

Me at the far end of the Straight - posing I presume

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0764.jpg

Through C1

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0765.jpg

Bottle - Uncorked by now and fizzing

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0766.jpg

Slipstream at C1

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0770.jpg

At the far end again

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0772.jpg
Old 28th July 2009, 12:23   #99
BHPian

Some questions

Hi,
I've never been to the track-even to watch, and have some questions.I have a completely stock Fiesta 1.4 shod with Bridgestone GIII's on stock steel rims-run for about 10K.
1.Are there any precautions to be taken before taking the car to the track-anything at all?
2.Any special racing liscence or insurance required for the car and me?
3.Protective clothing required?I did see helmets-anything else?
Appreciate answers and hopefully next time I might join you guys at the track-to atleast cheer and click some pictures.Thanks.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
Hi,
I've never been to the track-even to watch, and have some questions.I have a completely stock Fiesta 1.4 shod with Bridgestone GIII's on stock steel rims-run for about 10K.
1.Are there any precautions to be taken before taking the car to the track-anything at all?
2.Any special racing liscence or insurance required for the car and me?
3.Protective clothing required?I did see helmets-anything else?
Appreciate answers and hopefully next time I might join you guys at the track-to atleast cheer and click some pictures.Thanks.
No racing licence required. All you need to do is pay 1000 INR for using the track. Seatbelts and Helmets are a must.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:33   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
No racing licence required. All you need to do is pay 1000 INR for using the track. Seatbelts and Helmets are a must.
Thanks neoranjit-my first name is Ranjith by the way.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:37   #102
BHPian

part 2

Slipstream and his new beast

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0785.jpg

Madan ... and Junior Jeeper Brother Arka Deep

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0791.jpg

Bottle - back in to re-cork

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0794.jpg

The rides in attendance minus 2 palios (bottle and rahul)

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0795.jpg

From left - Nitrous's Mistress - Venom Rider's Esteem, Fiery Enzyme' s Baleno - Hot Rod's Lightning Rod - Petrol_Head's Ikon 1.6 - Neo's SX4 - Slipstream's spanking new Swift DDIS

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0796.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0797.jpg

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0799.jpg

Vikram, 'Jack you know what' and my bro

Chennai Track Day on 27/07/08 - Pics and reports. EDIT: July 09 pics added-dscf0801.jpg
Old 28th July 2009, 14:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Nice going folks! Would have been there if not for a series of unfortunate events :(
Old 28th July 2009, 18:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Nice going folks! Would have been there if not for a series of unfortunate events :(
hey bro ! hope your car & u are ok !
Old 28th July 2009, 19:01   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
I doubt if it was paid for
If thats true, then some one is going to be in "BIG" trouble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks