Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 22:19   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Need a bit of advice. This is a kind of uncharted territory for me.

My uncle is planning to upgrade his sedan and has eyes set on either Acura TL/ 335i/ Infinity G37x. Coupes are ruled out and he wants only Sedan.
Requirements
- Good Handling/Power
- Reliability and Maintenance

He already has an MDX and is inclined towards the TL.
I have only driven the 335 before and have no idea about the other 2. Could you guys kindly chip in with the best option that he should be upgrading to.
How tall is he, I find the 3 series to be small for a tall person (I am 5'11)

Also if already has an Acura from same generation the interiors would be pretty similar which could be agood or bad thing based on what he expects in this new car.

The TSX handles better than TL is what i have heard on Acura forums but the TL has got more juice, not sure which is better between G37 & TL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Hey guys, I installed an Alpine INE-S920hd in dash navigation in my Jetta last weekend and replaced the useless OEM head unit. It was my first major DIY based on complexity and cost involved. I am quite happy with the end results.
The head unit has everything namely Bluetooth, nav, HD radio, Sirius and back up camera compatibility, DVD etc etc. Also installed the PAC TR7 module to bypass the hand brake and foot brake restriction to use nav and DVD. I did it only to be able to use nav while on the move.

Detailed installation report coming up soon.
Congrats, this looks nicely done

Luckily my Accord's Navigation does not have this restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

BTW, where in Edison, I am in the same area.
Quote:
Thanks. I live in Iselin, close to Metropark station.
I am close by too, lets have a meet. let me know if any day on the coming long weekend works for you guys. We can probably ask Aah78 if he can join as well.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 22:31   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Need a bit of advice. This is a kind of uncharted territory for me.

My uncle is planning to upgrade his sedan and has eyes set on either Acura TL/ 335i/ Infinity G37x. Coupes are ruled out and he wants only Sedan.
Requirements
- Good Handling/Power
- Reliability and Maintenance

He already has an MDX and is inclined towards the TL.
I have only driven the 335 before and have no idea about the other 2. Could you guys kindly chip in with the best option that he should be upgrading to.
If your Uncle has shortlisted the three above, I wouldn't blink to recommend the TL. Since he already uses the MDX, he is probably numb towards ugly Acura front grills by now, which is about the only bad thing I can think of on a TL'13

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 28th August 2013 at 22:36.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 22:51   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I live in Iselin, close to Metropark station.
Good to know that. I stay very close to the Edison station. We should catch up sometime.
Old 28th August 2013, 23:20   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I installed an Alpine INE-S920hd in dash navigation in my Jetta
Neat job there
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Ask him to test drive the new Avalon. Car looks good and its fun to drive too. The fully loaded version would match with the comfort levels of Acura.
Totally agree, TR do ask your uncle to check out the new Avalon, its luxurious! I mean unless you want to stay away from the T badge i'd definitely have a look.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 23:21   #3080
BHPian

So what is every one's plan for this long weekend? I'll be in Yosemite for all the weekend. Anyone planning trip to that area?
Old 29th August 2013, 00:18   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
So what is every one's plan for this long weekend? I'll be in Yosemite for all the weekend. Anyone planning trip to that area?
Is the park open to public with the Rim fire and stuff going there?
Old 29th August 2013, 00:30   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Is the park open to public with the Rim fire and stuff going there?
Yes it is. The rim fire is 20 miles north of the main valley and the winds are spreading it towards north - lake tahoe side. I'm keeping a close watch on it and seems like they are making good progress in controlling the fire. Only couple camp sites and some roads are affected due to the fire, rest of the park is fine.

They can't afford to close the park on this long weekend .
Old 29th August 2013, 01:35   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Going to LA. This is my first visit to LA. Got recommendations for must see places?

I'll be driving from San Jose to LA. Driving towards LA will be I-5 and return through Hwy 1.

-- Jose
Old 29th August 2013, 01:43   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Going to LA. This is my first visit to LA. Got recommendations for must see places?

I'll be driving from San Jose to LA. Driving towards LA will be I-5 and return through Hwy 1.

-- Jose
I have been to LA only once. Stayed there for 2 days. 1 day in Universal Studios, another half day for typical sight seeing places in LA.

Check road condition on I-5 in advance, I heard there was some construction going on some part of that stretch a month back. Also, what time you enter LA would decide how much time it takes you to enter LA. Friday evenings are pretty bad around LA.

Speed limit on I-5 is 75mph, so most people drive in 80s. It's kinda fun driving on that road with just 2 lanes and high speeds. Keep good enough time for your journey back via Hwy 1. It's going to be a long and slow drive as speed limit is 50mph IIRC throughout. You'd also want to stop at places for views and pics etc.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 01:53   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is. The rim fire is 20 miles north of the main valley and the winds are spreading it towards north - lake tahoe side. I'm keeping a close watch on it and seems like they are making good progress in controlling the fire. Only couple camp sites and some roads are affected due to the fire, rest of the park is fine.

They can't afford to close the park on this long weekend .
Ya but its a pretty bad fire, I think they have been able to contain only 20% so far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
How many days are you here for? Are you doing Universal and/or Disney? These will typically day a full day. The beaches in the North side like Santa Monica, Venice are more commercial and good if you want to walk by the pier. The beaches down south, like Huntington, Manhattan, Newport are good for landscape.
Do visit Griffit Observatory, you get a good view of DTLA and Hollywood sign from up there.

I will be around here, showing around a friend and his family. Let me know if you need any help around with places to see and eat. You can PM me if you want my number
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 02:02   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Ya but its a pretty bad fire, I think they have been able to contain only 20% so far..
Yes it is. It's 7th largest wild fire in history of California and it's growing. Hopefully the winds continue towards north and fire stays away from the main valley.

I'm staying in Mariposa, so I'll take Hwy 140 from there to enter the park. However the Hwy 120 is closed temporary right now due to fire. If that stays closed during weekend, there will be more traffic on 140 to enter the park.
Old 29th August 2013, 02:33   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is. It's 7th largest wild fire in history of California and it's growing. Hopefully the winds continue towards north and fire stays away from the main valley.

I'm staying in Mariposa, so I'll take Hwy 140 from there to enter the park. However the Hwy 120 is closed temporary right now due to fire. If that stays closed during weekend, there will be more traffic on 140 to enter the park.
Are you there for just a day or two? I just read that Tioga pass rd is also closed.
Hope you guys have fun man , and be prepared for some traffic.
Old 29th August 2013, 02:39   #3088
BHPian

Quote:
Are you there for just a day or two? I just read that Tioga pass rd is also closed.
Hope you guys have fun man , and be prepared for some traffic.
We'll be there for 3 days, 2 nights. So enough time for sight seeing. I'll have to do some planning to reduce driving around too much in the park. This is our first visit so we don't plan for any stressful hiking. Mostly sight seeing in the park .
Old 29th August 2013, 02:57   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
We'll be there for 3 days, 2 nights. So enough time for sight seeing. I'll have to do some planning to reduce driving around too much in the park. This is our first visit so we don't plan for any stressful hiking. Mostly sight seeing in the park .
That's nice, its plentiful time and the park is beautiful. Have been to the park numerous times, both in Summers and Winters and the park never failed to impress
Old 29th August 2013, 03:39   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
I have been to LA only once. Stayed there for 2 days. 1 day in Universal Studios, another half day for typical sight seeing places in LA.

Check road condition on I-5 in advance, I heard there was some construction going on some part of that stretch a month back. Also, what time you enter LA would decide how much time it takes you to enter LA. Friday evenings are pretty bad around LA.

Speed limit on I-5 is 75mph, so most people drive in 80s. It's kinda fun driving on that road with just 2 lanes and high speeds. Keep good enough time for your journey back via Hwy 1. It's going to be a long and slow drive as speed limit is 50mph IIRC throughout. You'd also want to stop at places for views and pics etc.

I'm planning to start from San Jose by Friday evening and reach LA around mid-night. I believe traffic won't be severe in LA during this time.

1 day in Universal Studio, and the next day planning to visit Catalina Island. Not decided, still working on itinerary.

Returning on Monday and drive through Hwy 1 and stop at places to see nature.

Quote:

How many days are you here for? Are you doing Universal and/or Disney? These will typically day a full day. The beaches in the North side like Santa Monica, Venice are more commercial and good if you want to walk by the pier. The beaches down south, like Huntington, Manhattan, Newport are good for landscape.
Do visit Griffit Observatory, you get a good view of DTLA and Hollywood sign from up there.

I will be around here, showing around a friend and his family. Let me know if you need any help around with places to see and eat. You can PM me if you want my number
Thanks kraft.wagen! Will contact you for help.

-- Jose

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks