Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:23   #1171
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Let me add to the Innova, TFort comparo/confusion.

Here are some common points, IMHO,

1. Both have four tyres.
2. Both have T badges
3. Both go to diesel bunks (actually some Innovas will die if they do that).
4. Both have similar switchwares. Ok, perhaps, a bit more on the andar ki baat.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:34   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Let me add to the Innova, TFort comparo/confusion.

Here are some common points, IMHO,

1. Both have four tyres.
2. Both have T badges
3. Both go to diesel bunks (actually some Innovas will die if they do that).
4. Both have similar switchwares. Ok, perhaps, a bit more on the andar ki baat.
And one more.. both can climb a mound of some rubble with their rear wheels high atop.. Well the Innova almost can! Right mdsaab?
crackparag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:01   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
B. That I am least interested in defending or extolling the virtues of the TFort.
...in a Scorpio, both leafspring and multilink variety, you may have to take along with you - your orthopedic surgeon with X-Ray equipment.
As a high-mileage user of a Scorpio, and as a person who has had a history of back problems, I find your comment above to be frivolous and, to an extent, offensive. If you have not been extolling the virtues of the Fortuner, you certainly have been comparing and putting down every other vehicle needlessly. I do understand that you are (perhaps rightly) supremely proud of your vehicle, but to suggest that driving Scorpios is injurious to one's vertebral column and / or other parts of the skeleton is certainly utter nonsense. Otherwise, I am sure that your neighbour, the gentleman with the highest mileage on any single-handedly-driven Scorpio that I have known, should have been incapacitated a long time ago, and not presently having a good time up in Ladakh.

I am therefore forced to request you to tone down your criticism of other vehicles in comparison to your Fortuner on an open forum like this, especially since (I presume) you don't stand to gain commercially by promoting this particular vehicle endlessly.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:52   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
As a high-mileage user of a Scorpio, and as a person who has had a history of back problems, I find your comment above to be frivolous and, to an extent, offensive.
Hi SS-T,
I am not sure where this is coming from but let it be known once and for all and without having to create a huge buzz around it - that all I am interested in in my current ride and at times I compare it to my previous ride at times as I have run quite a few miles on it.
If you kindly go back to the earlier pages of the thread I am sure I have not consciously run down any vehicle in any derogatory manner. If at all - I have been quite critical of my current vehicle quite a bit.

And if at all I have stated anything about my old vehicle by way of a comparison - it is out of experience and from comments of folks with bad backs who have travelled in my Scorp. And based on my experience having travelled long distances in relatively newer Scorps with ML suspension and with drivers with bad backs. And finally if you note - never has it been even stated even vaguely that the vehicle 'causes' bad backs - it was a response to a Q for recommendation of the vehicle for a person with an pre-existing back condition, if you note.

And the choice of words could be termed as light hearted as you would have realised by now about the tone and tenor of this thread.

Perhaps talking about the virtues about the Scorp - you may like to read about the same in a piece that I had put up on what I miss about the Scorp etc. I don't think I have been unduly biased against or for a vehicle.

But yes about what I currently consider about my current vehicle - I am sure you wouldn't grudge me my emotional sentiments towards it when I state - I wouldn't want any other etc etc. All of us are certainly proud of our vehicles and I am extremely proud to have owned and run the Scorpio for a long time and having taken care of it real well. Further equally delighted that it was sold for a nifty amount and sees duty in the neighbouring colony to this day and the very sight of it even today thrills me for more reasons than one.

Finally - I would certainly not like to comment on words like 'frivolous', 'commercial interests' etc used in the post and certain advices parted with, though I can and equally acridly, as it would lead us nowhere and would spoil the flavour of this thread which till date has been rather light hearted and full of frolic.
Would like to retain the same as long as one can maintain it and is live !

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 23rd August 2011 at 09:58.
Guderian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:19   #1175
Senior - BHPian

I thought I had seen it all and this morning I saw another sight which brought home the reality that I ain't seen nothing yet !

And before this post gets branded as confusing and OT let me rush to point.

I have always felt that the TFort is overchromed - what with every little component - door handles, latches, OVRMs etc etc all chromed. I thought that was it and you couldn't get anything more 'chromified'. And that was till this morning - when I saw a gleaming black TFort coming in the opposite direction. There was something extra 'gleamy' about the chap I couldn't quite lay my finger on, as it kept coming close in the opposite lane.

And suddenly I spotted the reason. The guy had a completely chromed bonnet air scoop. Gleaming black TFort with the usual chrome bits and more with this huge gleam from atop the bonnet.
That was indeed a sight.
And yet another idea for TFort owners who love chrome.
They could take a shine to it !

Last edited by Guderian : 23rd August 2011 at 13:29.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:29   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The guy had a completely chromed bonnet air scoop.
That was indeed a sight.
How did you miss to photograph that! Though I like chrome, but just in the right places. 'Over' chroming just doesn't serve any purpose.
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:16   #1177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I had seen it all and this morning I saw another sight which brought home the reality that I ain't seen nothing yet !

And before this post gets branded as confusing and OT let me rush to point.

I have always felt that the TFort is overchromed - what with every little component - door handles, latches, OVRMs etc etc all chromed. I thought that was it and you couldn't get anything more 'chromified'. And that was till this morning - when I saw a gleaming black TFort coming in the opposite direction. There was something extra 'gleamy' about the chap I couldn't quite lay my finger on, as it kept coming close in the opposite lane.

And suddenly I spotted the reason. The guy had a completely chromed bonnet air scoop. Gleaming black TFort with the usual chrome bits and more with this huge gleam from atop the bonnet.
That was indeed a sight.
And yet another idea for TFort owners who love chrome.
They could take a shine to it !
The Fortuner is a Macho vehicle.. adding so much Chrome to the SUV makes it look like a "Bling" Vehicle. Even the new Fortuner which Toyota is planning has way too much Chrome for my liking - The rear is filled with Chrome lining on even the tail lamps! Wish that instead of launching it with all the Chrome garnishings, they keep it optional.
Wonder who gives them the feedback that they need to add so much chrome!

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd August 2011 at 14:17.
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:44   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1.How did you miss to photograph that!
2 Though I like chrome, but just in the right places. 'Over' chroming just doesn't serve any purpose.
Hi dkaile,
1. Ach ! Sorry about that. But then wasn't carrying the box and even if I were and tried to snap the gleaming appendage would have been too rude as such with the expressions on my face giving away the game. You wouldn't want to catch a sight of TForts chasing each other in a space starved city like Mumbai !

2. Agree with you on chroming of things.
You have got me thinking again about that Muffler Cutter again. Not for the chrome part (which I dislike) - as much of it goes under the bumper but for the chunky ending of the tail pipe (and a wee bit of protection ?). Also the desire ( and an old weakness ) for a company stamped piece of metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Fortuner is a Macho vehicle.. adding so much Chrome to the SUV makes it look like a "Bling" Vehicle. Even the new Fortuner which Toyota is planning has way too much Chrome for my liking - The rear is filled with Chrome lining on even the tail lamps! Wish that instead of launching it with all the Chrome garnishings, they keep it optional.
Wonder who gives them the feedback that they need to add so much chrome!
Hi Behemoth,
Totally agree. But then somehow if you notice many autocos seem to be treading the same path - putting chrome touches everywhere. Endeavour too between the old and new version, I think, increased the chrome content.
But on the TFort between the old and the new there is a quantum leap in terms of the chrome content. Just a thought - is chrome finish cheaper than other finishes for the various items ? Doesn't sound logical - but anyway thought I'll ask since we are looking for reasons !

Last edited by Guderian : 23rd August 2011 at 14:57.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:31   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
I have always felt that the TFort is overchromed - what with every little component - door handles, latches, OVRMs etc etc all chromed.
Hi Guderian,
Let me beging with complementing you on this exceptional thread. Many have very eloquently praised the content and style of this thread, but for me - It is my morning cup of tea - refreshing, informative and pastes a smile on the face (makes it easy to deal with LOH in the mornings !).

Today while driving this "chromed up" behemoth rolled past my window and it was a sight ! Now a Fortuner in black is one of the most impressive sights - but the over chroming with the contrast over black, for me, was too loud !! Not very clear in the photos - the headlights had a chrome border, the side indicators had chrome borders, so also were the rear tail lights apart from the door handles !! Should have checked if the driver was similarly "chromed" !! (Or gold plated!!).
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-photo1.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-photo2.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-photo3.jpg  

krish11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 10:30   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
1. Let me beging with complementing you on this exceptional thread. Many have very eloquently praised the content and style of this thread, but for me - It is my morning cup of tea - refreshing, informative and pastes a smile on the face (makes it easy to deal with LOH in the mornings !).

2. Today while driving this "chromed up" behemoth rolled past my window and it was a sight ! Now a Fortuner in black is one of the most impressive sights - but the over chroming with the contrast over black, for me, was too loud !! Not very clear in the photos - the headlights had a chrome border, the side indicators had chrome borders, so also were the rear tail lights apart from the door handles !! Should have checked if the driver was similarly "chromed" !! (Or gold plated!!).
Hi krish11,
1. Many thanks for the warm and delightful compliments. Cheered me up on a rather dull gloomy day for more reasons than one !

2. Yes those snaps do convey what you are saying - and you are absolutely right about the contrast of chrome on black colour. And now imagine a chromed up bonnet air scoop on a black TFort.
In you snaps there also seems to be a chrome trim for the headlights which I am seeing for the first time. No end to imaginative ideas to pump in some chrome.
Well some like it some don't !

Thanks for being around !
Old 25th August 2011, 11:01   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Some more ideas for the 'chromified' version of the Black; This looks more elegant if one avoids chroming the door handles and front and rear headlights which look garish imho...

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-fortuner-sa-chrome-front.jpg

This includes a chrome finish bonnet protector which is news to me.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:19   #1182
Senior - BHPian

I personally am not a very big fan of those after market chromes. IMO, the T-Fort is in itself eye catchy. Why add the extra chrome and spoil the looks of one of the best SUV's in the market? That too on a black one! Sacreligious, I tell you .
Old 25th August 2011, 14:22   #1183
dot
Senior - BHPian

^^I agree. Too much chrome is looks very cheap. It looks good only on the large barges of 60s, the ones with fins.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:19   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Some more ideas for the 'chromified' version of the Black; This looks more elegant if one avoids chroming the door handles and front and rear headlights which look garish imho...

Attachment 599266

This includes a chrome finish bonnet protector which is news to me.
Hail General!

Well, why don't these guys add Gold rims to the vehicle and make it more uglier like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-wheelgold_cwp7i_7071.jpg  

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-30inwheelssema_02.jpg  

Old 25th August 2011, 15:46   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Hail General!

Well, why don't these guys add Gold rims to the vehicle and make it more uglier like this!
Lolz AlphaVilo, that's one fancy 'hummerish' vehicle. I for one am totally against any chromifications and unnecessary modifications to my TFort, as I have amply stated in my OT here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uilt-last.html . These ideas were being discussed on what all people do and what Toyota offers in other countries. My Falcon will just undergo the slightest of transplants to the exhaust in the shape of a Muffler Cutter, which does serve dual purpose of protection too, and that's it.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th August 2011 at 15:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks