Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 15:29   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
One question regarding rear wiper.
Even while its raining heavily, after 3-4 strokes, the wiper starts making scratching sound.
Are we not suppose to operate the rear wiper continuously ?
Or may be there is wiper alignment problem as I checked the blade and they are in shape & soft (Not brittle).

Thanks.
Same problem here. I forgot to mention this to the service adviser. Don't use the rear wiper too much, so perhaps it doesn't seem a priority. But it does make a painful noise.

Btw, the cleaners at the ASC had broken a mat holding clip (near the driver's seat) - and for two services now they have promised to fix it, and at end of day said that the part is not available. Will call them up a few days before the next service, and raise hell if they don't get and fix the part.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:00   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Hi HG,

Even while its raining heavily, after 3-4 strokes, the wiper starts making scratching sound.
Or may be there is wiper alignment problem as I checked the blade and they are in shape & soft (Not brittle).

Thanks.
I too have been facing the same problem since 3.5 years. The rear wiper is useless. What surprises me is that even after 4 years of launch of the vehicale, Toyota has not bothered to change the design.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:24   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi Wanderers,
I face this once in a way but only when the water flow on the rear windshield is low - meaning just about during light drizzles. During heavy rains no issues. After a few swipes during a drizzle the "hard swipe" sound starts. The way out for me is to start the rear washer and soapy stream then quietens the groaning baby. I don't use the rear wiper continuously even in heavy rains. A few swipes seem enough for me.
Incidentally I think the way out of this could be loosening the nut, slightly, under the fastener cover of the rear wiper which holds it to the wiper motor stem. Have the ASC to do it and check the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Btw, the cleaners at the ASC had broken a mat holding clip (near the driver's seat) - and for two services now they have promised to fix it, and at end of day said that the part is not available. Will call them up a few days before the next service, and raise hell if they don't get and fix the part.
Nilanjan - You could get the mat clips at any accessories shop - far cheaper too (the ASC would charge you a bomb). Check any of the shops on SJC Road and ask them for Toyota mat clips. They'll plug it in too - on the base mat and repair the mat slightly if the original aperture is torn or too large or fix it with large rubber washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
I too have been facing the same problem since 3.5 years. The rear wiper is useless. What surprises me is that even after 4 years of launch of the vehicale, Toyota has not bothered to change the design.
Hi C, Nice to have you back here after a long time !
Actually nothing wrong with the design - I used to face the same issue on the Scorpio too once in a way. And have heard it on other vehicles too.
The issue I think is around the amount of torque applied on the fastening nut of the rear wiper.
Check it out at the ASC, have them to loosen it slightly and see if it works.

Last edited by Stratos : 9th September 2014 at 11:39. Reason: As requested.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 21:14   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Actually nothing wrong with the design - I used to face the same issue on the Scorpio too once in a way. And have heard it on other vehicles too.
The issue I think is around the amount of torque applied on the fastening nut of the rear wiper.
Check it out at the ASC, have them to loosen it slightly and see if it works.
Hello Guderian Sir,
I am not quite sure, but I do not think it is the issue of over tightening the Rear Wiper Blade to the motor using a M6 nut. I reckon it is the issue of the blade (rubber). Recently I faced similar noise in my little Etios (albeit in the Front Wiper). The noise was coming during the return stroke (down stroke) and it appeared that the wiper blade was slipping near its home position. After changing the wiper blade, the sound disappeared. However, when I closely checked the old blade, I could not observe any damage in it.

P.S.: Some experts are of the opinion that keeping the wiper arm in the lift up position when parked in the hot blazing sun, enhances the life of the rubber blade.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 15:58   #2090
Senior - BHPian

And Now Who's That ?

A humdrum Sunday 'twas for Admiral what with the usual routine.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04242.jpg

But with a noticeable difference. Admiral has a new neighbour.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04243.jpg

And the sassy girl is...
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04244.jpg

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04248001.jpg

And the ol' boy has a sparkle in his eyes. And casts furitive glances at the new girl.

Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04251.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04252.jpg

Her insides displayed.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04253.jpg

Hope to drive her sometime in the near future. No it's not mine (and thank God for that - could never afford it !) but a neighbour's pride.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04257.jpg

Eyes the ol' boy.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04259.jpg

And the old chap swings it with abandon !
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc04261.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
1. I am not quite sure, but I do not think it is the issue of over tightening the Rear Wiper Blade to the motor using a M6 nut. I reckon it is the issue of the blade (rubber).
2. Some experts are of the opinion that keeping the wiper arm in the lift up position when parked in the hot blazing sun, enhances the life of the rubber blade.
Thank you for the input Samish.

1. Unfortunately this was happening on Admiral right from day one in low drizzle condition/s - rear wiper. So a new rear wiper blade wouldn't have helped. Like I did on the Scorpio was tempted to loosen the wiper nut and fasten it againt but didn't want to fool around with a new vehicle I guess. And unlike on the Scorpio it wasn't too much of a bother so just let it be.

2. Wouldn't that loosen the wiper with the wiper spring extended for long periods of time ? The rubber may be granted long life but when the wiper is placed down it would hardly touch the surface when the spring gets loose and the wiping would be inffective. I found this in the LoH's Alto. And now scream at the GDW if he leaves the wipers up after the wash !

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 15th September 2014 at 16:22.
Guderian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 19:54   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
But with a noticeable difference. Admiral has a new neighbour.
Now since you have discussed about this beamer do you know that the dmiral has a nicetie which even this bimmer doesn't have!
Can you guess it?(No,it's not 4wheel drive or the humungous 3ltr engine!,something to do with ergonomics.)
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 23:24   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the input Samish.

1. Unfortunately this was happening on Admiral right from day one in low drizzle condition/s - rear wiper. So a new rear wiper blade wouldn't have helped. Like I did on the Scorpio was tempted to loosen the wiper nut and fasten it againt but didn't want to fool around with a new vehicle I guess. And unlike on the Scorpio it wasn't too much of a bother so just let it be.

2. Wouldn't that loosen the wiper with the wiper spring extended for long periods of time ? The rubber may be granted long life but when the wiper is placed down it would hardly touch the surface when the spring gets loose and the wiping would be inffective. I found this in the LoH's Alto. And now scream at the GDW if he leaves the wipers up after the wash !

Aloha !
Thank you Sir for the inputs.

1. You may try loosening and re-tightening the Arm and Blade Assembly. It is just a M6 nut after all. If you have a torque measuring gadget, please try maintaining the tightening torque within 10 Nm; else "andaaz zindabad".

2. The spring in the Arm Assembly of the wiper is mechanically sound enough (should I read hardened) to withstand the load for prolonged periods of time - that is what I gathered from the experts. I was also made to understand that "Uncle Toyota" has a plethora of performance checks in place to evaluate such parameters. A few of my friends have tried it in their Innova and have experienced better wiping performance as well a durable rubber blade.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 01:17   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Battle of Vandi - Wash...

And now the ship's plate. The reason I am showing this is that I had, over the last month or two, received 2/3 Qs from other Fortuner owners asking for their vehicle's colour code to buy paint pens or get matching colour at the touch up shops etc. The colour code is available on the plate as shown.
For eg the Silver Streak Mica of Admiral is 1E7 - as can be seen.
Hi Guderian,

Great post! Maybe one of these days I'll get around to a DIY.

Umm, can't keep the paranoid in me from speaking out, is it a good idea to let your car's numbers all hang out like that?
Old 16th September 2014, 10:15   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Now since you have discussed about this beamer do you know that the dmiral has a nicetie which even this bimmer doesn't have!
Can you guess it?(No,it's not 4wheel drive or the humungous 3ltr engine!,something to do with ergonomics.)
I think its the touch screen of new Fortuner, which 5-series beamer does not have. They have trackpad kind of thing called i-drive.

I can't think of any other difference with Fortuner as far as Ergonomics is concern.
Old 21st September 2014, 13:57   #2095
BHPian

As usual I am hijacking Guderians forum to post updates on my Fortuner. It has completed 70,000kms and I got it serviced. It's a Feb 2010 model. Everything is functional and as good as it was when I bought it. I got the front wiper blades replaced, the rear one is just fine. The service advisor tells me that my original Dunlop tyres are good for another 20k atleast, which means I would have clocked almost 1L km's! I find that amazing since I have driven through all kinds of terrain. I do get the wheel balancing and tyre rotation done religiously though. The changes I have made to my vehicle over the past almost 5 years is I changed the original music system with a Caska ICE, got the brakes upgraded last year , free of cost by Toyota even though my vehicle was out of warranty. Changed the battery at 55k and changed the front wind shield wipers at 70k. This is a great trouble free car and I am really glad that I bought it. Ah yes, I forgot, I added sun film and then got it removed too!
alfredenuemann is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 20:30   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredenuemann View Post
Changed the battery at 55k and changed the front wind shield wipers at 70k.
Hello Alfred!
That is a terrific performance by the wiper blades. Kudos to your maintenance too. Continuing with the discussion on wipers, do the rear wipers squeak when operated in light rain? Herr Guderian has a complain of Admiral's rear wiper squeaking right from the initial days. One more query - Do you generally park your vehicle (sorry I am unaware of its name) in the shade or is it in the blazing sun?

Regards

Samish
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:37   #2097
BHPian

Hi HG,

This weekend, I opened the Hood for routine inspection.
At same time, I put the ignition in ON Position to roll the window, while standing outside.
I heard a continuous sound of some spark happening right in the centre of engine bay (Below turbo charger cooler) but could not see any thing visible.

The sound was even heard when I closed the hood & be outside but not inside the cabin.
The sound stops as soon as I turn the ignition to OFF or ACCESSORIES. Also could not figure out anything after the engine was started as Engine clutter is much louder.

I am driving my Car today & did not notice anything else.

I know of some timer or heater getting activated when we put Ignition in ON position but the sound is never continuous. This one is.

Request your thoughts. Thanks !
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:23   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Alfred!
That is a terrific performance by the wiper blades. Kudos to your maintenance too. Continuing with the discussion on wipers, do the rear wipers squeak when operated in light rain? Herr Guderian has a complain of Admiral's rear wiper squeaking right from the initial days. One more query - Do you generally park your vehicle (sorry I am unaware of its name) in the shade or is it in the blazing sun?

Regards

Samish
Hi Samish,
My rear wipers squeaked for a while before the 60k service, but after the servicing the squeaking stopped. Not sure what they did that stopped the squeaking. There is no sound now. I park my vehicle under cover . The only time it's parked in the open is when I have to go out to the market and so on.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:59   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the delayed response...but...!

Quote:
I heard a continuous sound of some spark happening right in the centre of engine bay (Below turbo charger cooler) but could not see any thing visible.

The sound was even heard when I closed the hood & be outside but not inside the cabin.
Nothing to worry about Wanderers - this is a standard noise on starting or when you turn the ignition on - possibly due to the pre-ignition cycle kicking off etc. You'll hear it in all Fortuners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredenuemann View Post
As usual I am hijacking Guderians forum to post updates on my Fortuner. It has completed 70,000kms and I got it serviced. It's a Feb 2010 model.
Delighted to read the pithy report AEN. What me worry eh ?
Anyway - what was the brake upgradation you got done free of cost. Was it the current upgradation of brake booster ? Or the earlier one one hears about of the discs or something being changed in the earlier Fortuners ?

The tyre and wiper life/ves are of a dream length my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post

Umm, can't keep the paranoid in me from speaking out, is it a good idea to let your car's numbers all hang out like that?
Hi Stewie (Wonder ?),
Well, if you examine the snap carefully - the vital numbers have all been...!

Quote:
Thank you Sir for the inputs.

1. You may try loosening and re-tightening the Arm and Blade Assembly.

2. The spring in the Arm Assembly of the wiper is...
Thank you Samish !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I know something about the economics though !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:18   #2100
BHPian

[quote=Guderian;3540738]Sorry about the delayed response...but...!

Delighted to read the pithy report AEN. What me worry eh ?
Anyway - what was the brake upgradation you got done free of cost. Was it the current upgradation of brake booster ? Or the earlier one one hears about of the discs or something being changed in the earlier Fortuners ?

The tyre and wiper life/ves are of a dream length my friend.

Herr General,
Yes. The brake up grade was the replacement of the brake booster. The brakes are very good after the upgrade, and I remember I did pay something around Rs 6k or thereabouts. Very good bite now. The only thing I noticed was that the brake pads seem to be wearing out at a faster rate now than before. Thanks for letting me piggyback on your forum.
alfredenuemann is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks