Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 03:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Audi A4 3.2 Tfsi versus Audi A4 3.0 TDi

Go for the 3.2 if you don't mind paying more for petrol. You can run it on regular petrol, it'll just be slightly slower. 93 RON is whats recommended though. Also, if they are ordering it expect to wait up to 6 months for both. Spec it well, your gonna be driving it for the next five years.

My other car is a 530d and you should consider it, more comfortable, more space and rwd makes it fun Take it for a spin, try the sport+ mode. :evil laugh:
Old 9th April 2011, 10:29   #32
BHPian

thanks everyone for valuable advice. I've pretty much decided on the diesel. I'm negotiating hard with audi fellows for a good price.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drive 530D like others suggested unless you are very much set on A4. The audi is definitely one hot car in its 3.0 trim, but 530D should match A4 3.0 in the drive department and exceed in every other department. Of course A4-3.0 is definitely a special car and an enthusiast car while 530D could be just about anyone's car.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Test drive 530D like others suggested unless you are very much set on A4. The audi is definitely one hot car in its 3.0 trim, but 530D should match A4 3.0 in the drive department and exceed in every other department. Of course A4-3.0 is definitely a special car and an enthusiast car while 530D could be just about anyone's car.

Would just like to add here-
Though my experience in the f10 (backseat) has been fairly brief , i guess it was enough for me to judge that the A4 on 17s will surely be more comfortable with better ride quality than the f10 running on run-flats. Not hugely but yes,marginally.
Feature-wise a fully loaded 3.0 tdi and f10 30d would be about fair & square (since night-vision ,HUD not offered on the f10).
IMHO, latest gen MMI high and iDrive are both pretty much intuitive and easy to operate. The MMI has a buttons to access every detail where as the iDrive has browsing keys to access each function.
Looks, personally of course i love the A4 but the f10 too ,though too soft is very elegant in design. Anyway looks are highly subjective. Some would like either car ,some would not.
As i said earlier somewhere, you could not go wrong with either. They look good,are loaded and offer near identical performance. Trust me its a wonderful dilemma to be in
Just a piece of advice here, if you still are looking at the 530d as an option, i would advice you to sit back to back in the rear seats of both, the A4 and 5. I say so as though the 5 is bigger on the outside, i am not sure how much that translates into substantially more space on the inside, especially the rear. You might want to check that.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th April 2011 at 13:57.
Old 10th April 2011, 12:43   #35
BHPian

i'm set on the a4 as opposed to the f10 530d or the XF D S. I really like the f10 (530d and m5) and the jaguar but i don't see myself purchasing them at this point of time (even if i had the money). They don't suit me in many many ways.

I've sat in all three cars, they're fine....nothing noteworthy space wise. Only I will be in the car for 90% of time; maybe i'll be joined by someone on the front seat 5% of the time and remaining 5% is when going out with family or friends so i'm not really bothered about space. I'm sure it'll be enough.
Old 11th April 2011, 08:49   #36
BHPian

In some european forums and articles i came across something about a diesel particulate filter problem that plagues modern diesel cars from the 3rd-4th year of usage due to cold starts and start-stop usage. Apparently diesels are meant to be driven in certain powerband regularly so that the engine warms up and kind of settles in. My understanding of this isn't clear.

Can anyone please shed some more light on this? Also, should we be looking at this as a major issue?

thanks very much....
Old 11th April 2011, 12:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
In some european forums and articles i came across something about a diesel particulate filter problem that plagues modern diesel cars from the 3rd-4th year of usage due to cold starts and start-stop usage. Apparently diesels are meant to be driven in certain powerband regularly so that the engine warms up and kind of settles in. My understanding of this isn't clear.

Can anyone please shed some more light on this? Also, should we be looking at this as a major issue?

thanks very much....
Dont worry. I was aware about the DPF issues before i bought the Audi and was a bit skeptical about the whole matter.
Keep the car going frequently, use it and dont just keep it lying in the garage, rev it to the mid-range occasionally when you drive and you wont even remember the particulate filter issue after a point of time. Trust me, i have this baby for a year now and no issues regarding DPF have cropped up.
I repeat, keep driving it frequently. German Diesels = Meant to be driven extensively.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 11th April 2011 at 12:18.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 12:19   #38
Team-BHP Support

I dont think DPF's have been added to India spec cars
Old 21st January 2024, 11:14   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I followed the link on the "cars that lost their engines" thread and got here.

Keen to know if nishantmohan bought the A4 3.0 TDI? Would love to hear about his ownership experience.

Some of us do not own cars with strong engines and cannot drive them on beautiful Sunday afternoons. But we take immense pleasure in reading about other people's car ownership and drive experiences and dream about doing that ourselves one day! haha. Nothing beats the feeling of pulling a strong engine through mid range with absolute joy.

Last edited by sjain2054 : 21st January 2024 at 11:16.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 11:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
I followed the link on the "cars that lost their engines" thread and got here.

Keen to know if nishantmohan bought the A4 3.0 TDI? Would love to hear about his ownership experience.

Some of us do not own cars with strong engines and cannot drive them on beautiful Sunday afternoons. But we take immense pleasure in reading about other people's car ownership and drive experiences and dream about doing that ourselves one day! haha. Nothing beats the feeling of pulling a strong engine through mid range with absolute joy.
Unfortunately, no. Ended up getting the Jetta MK6 back 2011, enjoyed it for 10 great years before moving to Innova Crysta.
nishantmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 17:13   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
Unfortunately, no. Ended up getting the Jetta MK6 back 2011, enjoyed it for 10 great years before moving to Innova Crysta.
That is good to know. From your direct driving experience, give us some insights into the differences between the 2.0 TDI German diesel engine and the 2.4 D.4D Japanese diesel engine.

I understand that Jetta and Innova Crysta are different category of cars but I am sure you have some thoughts on both the diesel engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks