Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one should my friend choose?
HONDA CBR250R ABS 47 33.10%
KTM DUKE 200 95 66.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 13:55   #16
BHPian

Re: CBR250R ABS vs KTM DUKE 200: The better choice?

If your friend is new to bikes, I suggest you look out of these two and consider the new R15. It's a fantastic bike to learn, commute, tour and relatively more efficient.

Also, a 150cc is easier to live with in the longer run, so if possible, I suggest he wait till the CBR150R launch.

Either way, good luck and ride safe

Last edited by tejus.s : 25th January 2012 at 13:57.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Actually KTM is the best bet but as he is new to biking. He should be able to grasp to the huge power in his hand(KTM-pocket rocket), i feel this is more important. So asking him to take a test ride of both and then decide.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 14:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Actually KTM is the best bet but as he is new to biking. He should be able to grasp to the huge power in his hand(KTM-pocket rocket), i feel this is more important. So asking him to take a test ride of both and then decide.
Huge power? Its 26 bhp brother - not 125! Same as the CBR btw, so that really cannot be an issue. And a lot of that power will come with some serious right wrist exercise as peak power is developed at 10000 rpm. So its pretty difficult to get into trouble with it in the city - if you don't want to that is!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 14:54   #19
BHPian

Wow! I haven't seen many people willing to shell out a premium of 75-80k for just the ABS or safety thing. Had it been the case with me, my dad would have saved around 40k here by getting me an RTR ABS.

I would like to know if ABS is the only criteria for picking up the CBR over the Duke here?

It's good to have safety as the first priority, but if your friend's heart is stuck with the baby Duke, he'll crash riding the CBR nevertheless...Just kidding, though it's very important to have your heart involved while making such decisions. There's no fun regretting it later!

From where I can see, it's only a spec vs spec battle between these two for your friend. My advice would be the KTM. As a VFM proposition, it makes everything else bite dust!

And for the learner's stuff, I know some guys who directly jumped on to the N250R and started riding. As long as you are cautious and safe on the road there's no machine that you can't get the hang of. If you are not, then even a Splendor could turn into a fatal ride!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 14:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

CBR Vs KTM is a unfair competition and there is no way you would want to compare them. CBR 250 would be for the slightly more mature people for it's touring capabilities. Understand few of my friends including Santosh BH use it as a daily commuter.
KTM is more of street brawler for the younger crowd who would want to use it for their short commuting or for die-hards who would want to relish off roading (to be read as places where tarmac is hardly existing).

Would rather feel that KTM Vs Yamaha FZ is a more acceptable discussion and more apt one at that. Both are nakeds, Bike Setup is almost similar except for the Forks, seat angle is similar, mono suspension at the rear.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 15:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Huge power? Its 26 bhp brother - not 125! Same as the CBR btw, so that really cannot be an issue. And a lot of that power will come with some serious right wrist exercise as peak power is developed at 10000 rpm. So its pretty difficult to get into trouble with it in the city - if you don't want to that is!
you are right, it is just 26. But think about the jump from 7-8 bhp(Gearless) to 26, Its huge.
I have seen minimum 1 CBR in Honda service centre every time i have visited, where it would be laying for repairs after accident and the main reason would be, unable to handle the power.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 15:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Do you say this based on what we know of the journo first rides recently, or do you have confirmed information that it would be the same for the commercial production bikes as well?

There are all sorts of rumors doing the rounds of re-gearing, and upping the rev limit to 12000 rpm, with a top end in the region of 145-150 kmph, based on initial disappointed feedback, so needed to ask.
Hi Buddy,

This is based on KTM's press release during the launch, as almost all news stories cover this point. Here are a few links for your perusal, that mention the red lining limit:

KTM 200 Duke Launched| Zigwheels.com

2012 KTM Duke 200 first ride - Overdrive Magazine -

KTM Duke 200 launch could be on January 3rd, 2012! | IndianCarsBikes.in

2012 KTM Duke 200 first ride - Overdrive

Frankly this is a deal breaker for me, for highway rides. I have touched my CBR upto 155 kmph at my last attempt and I could feel I could stretch it a bit more. So once I buy it, Duke 200 is for city streets and CBR is for Highway tours (though I might make an exception while getting Leh'd)

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 25th January 2012 at 15:18.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:19   #23
BHPian

I voted for the Honda just because its a known devil. No matter KTM is brought to us in India by Bajaj, the quintessential scooter and bike company with a showroom and a service centre on every alternate corner of almost every city, it is still a gamble. Even the parts availability and ride quality is some what in the dark.

Being the first time rider, Honda is not only an easy to ride bike (only when compared to the Duke) it looks pretty too. And for me it's a complete package.

Honda CBR 250R ABS it is.
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 16:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Hi Buddy,

This is based on KTM's press release during the launch, as almost all news stories cover this point. Here are a few links for your perusal, that mention the red lining limit:

KTM 200 Duke Launched| Zigwheels.com

2012 KTM Duke 200 first ride - Overdrive Magazine -

KTM Duke 200 launch could be on January 3rd, 2012! | IndianCarsBikes.in

2012 KTM Duke 200 first ride - Overdrive

Frankly this is a deal breaker for me, for highway rides. I have touched my CBR upto 155 kmph at my last attempt and I could feel I could stretch it a bit more. So once I buy it, Duke 200 is for city streets and CBR is for Highway tours (though I might make an exception while getting Leh'd)
Thanks bro. Except for ZigWheels first link, the remaining three are from the earlier journo first ride. I frankly doubt that ZigWheels now too knows anything new to the contrary, otherwise it would have made big news. Let's wait and watch ..... and hope against hope!
Old 25th January 2012, 19:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda CBR250R ABS vs KTM Duke 200. EDIT : The CBR it is!

For one - All that is known about KTM is from the folks (call them journos) who have ridden it on the test track at Chakan.

Then there are bunch of folks (not in India) who have been venting out their frustrations about issues on KTM 125.

From what I know (from VERY reliable sources) BAL did not sleep over the issues reported and have fixed them in the 200's. Common problems being

Radiator leaks,
False Neutrals - Gear slips.
Engine sputterring/choking - could've possibly been that the users over expected power off a 125.
Gears not showing on the console. Example 1,2,3,4,_, 5
Engine warning light on - could be because of the temperature conditions in Europe (extreme colds etc)

Regarding speed limiter - The 125 users have had their engines remapped to go around the speed limiter.

Spares cost - most of it are indigenous - Made in India parts - so guessing it would not cost a bomb.

Accessories - Completely imported so would cost a bomb.

So what happens with the 200 - practically - remains to be seen.

Everybody knows - there is no perfect bike! So if one can deal with it, go for the untested (in Indian conditions) Duke.

BTW - I do not work for BAL/KTM nor do I represent them in any way but I am a prospective owner of the DUKE.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 19:44   #26
BHPian

This comes from a CBR 250 owner.

Ask your friend to go with the Duke, not that CBR has any issues but the college going crowd simply would be drooling over the Duke.

As far as power is concerned, till last year Karizma was one of big/powerful bikes on the road along with the P220 and he has already tasted that. If he has been in love with the way Karizma looked and performed you can simply tell him the CBR would look & perform 50% better than what the Kari did.

Duke would be a more peppier ride as compared to the smooth/refined CBR.

It's like comparing Duke to CBRs/Ninjas/Bullets. The latter are for more settled crowds who have been drooling over the RD350s & RX100s in their younger days (& we still do drool over the 2 strokers).

Let him live in his era and enjoy the Duke I would say, especially after the Karizma which is kind of close to the feel that CBR would give him.

Last edited by n_aditya : 29th January 2012 at 11:53. Reason: No mention of alcohol please.
mantrig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 20:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think we should wait commenting/ voting till the KTM hits the streets, and has logged some miles. One of the biggest unknowns so far is the FE. (For me, range is important.) Another thing is seat height.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th January 2012, 20:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I think we should wait commenting/ voting till the KTM hits the streets, and has logged some miles. One of the biggest unknowns so far is the FE. (For me, range is important.) Another thing is seat height.

Regards
Sutripta
Regarding seat height - someone who was 5'7" said he could barely place his feet on the ground
Old 26th January 2012, 17:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The Duke outdoes the CBR in most technical parameters, at least on paper for now. Also more importantly it also presents a far better VFM option.

But then this is only the introductory price. We are yet to see the revised prices once Bajaj has done with creating a market demand for the Duke200. I believe once Honda starts discounting CBR250s and Bajaj raises Duke prices, the competition between both models will be a lot closer!!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 20:02   #30
BHPian

Well, if waiting isn't a problem, then a test ride would shed more light to this predicament. There is a general perception floating around about KTM being the performance king in the segment with better equipment, and going by KTM reputation it makes sense to give the KTM a try. Another deciding factor for KTM is the weight, it is substantially less than the CBR which will definitely make it more manageable in traffic.
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks