Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2008, 09:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

congratulations everyone on your purchases.The bike looks really nice. The front number plate and saree guard are a real eyesore.But i guess if they can put one on the R1 then God save the R15.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:54   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Hi ppl, got my bike yesterday evening[1700hrs].First bike in my town.Rode 125kms till now.The bike is awseome to say the least.

R 15 owners - just wanted to know wether its safe to take the bike to 100km/hr .The showroom ppl and techinicians say that the bike doesnt require any running in.Anyways to play things safe Iam not revving the bike too much even though I managed to do 100,101 3 or 4times in 6th gear.
Stick to 70 -80% throttle for first 1000 kms and dont whack it open, rather load her slow and sweet. Trick is to vary speed and load the engine and tranny, you will have a beautiful motor later on.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Thanks PatienceWins, I'm 182 cms and the bike is just fine so it should be ok for you as well. You may have to adjust your seating position to ensure proper reach to handle bar and gear/brake. Which means you will have less of a crouching position. Should be just fine. I sincerely suggest that you test drive one. With regards the color, my approach is exactly what you mentioned. The faring is unpainted hance less chances of scratches and easier maintenance. Almost like the side protector strips on car doors.
Thanks for answering the query in detail. Yes, you would save the fairing from getting scratched by going for a black one. Also black looks more macho compared to Blue - just my personal view.

Veelubai - Congrats!! I would recommend to follow what Jaggu recommended for atleast 1000 kms. Waiting for the pictures.

It is the best looking bike in that price range.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:51   #49
BHPian

Awesome pics ms001. Congrats to Killer and Veelubai on your bikes. Enjoy the ride.

With regards the run-in period, I was advised by the dealer to keep it within 4K-5K RPM for the first 1000kms, and not to drive at a steady speed always.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

R15 owners are you considering fitting crash bungs on your bikes to save that beautiful fairing?

If there is a provision to fit them then i would suggest you consider that option.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
congratulations everyone on your purchases.The bike looks really nice. The front number plate and saree guard are a real eyesore.But i guess if they can put one on the R1 then God save the R15.
thanks bigron, i replaced the front number plate with stickering on the visor also removed the saree gaurd, looks more sporty now
Old 6th July 2008, 22:15   #52
BHPian

cheers: Congrats Tumbler,Ms001,Veelubai & Killer for becoming proud owners of the R 15.
Iam also planning for one, cant make up my mind for Racing Blue v/s Black. need advise on the colours..
Old 6th July 2008, 22:52   #53
BHPian

Thank you all for your appreciations.
Jaggu - Thanks for the advice, infact Iam following the same method as you suggested.

Iam getting a FE of 35kmpl with reasonably fast driving and 100% riding with a pillion.. Looks like 40kmpl is easily acheivable.cheers:

Ruff Ryder - I think you will be better off with the blue one.Black is a bit understated and not to my liking.

Last edited by Veelubai : 6th July 2008 at 22:53.
Old 6th July 2008, 23:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
cheers: Congrats Tumbler,Ms001,Veelubai & Killer for becoming proud owners of the R 15.
Iam also planning for one, cant make up my mind for Racing Blue v/s Black. need advise on the colours..
thanks RuffRyder,both black and blue look nice i prefer blue as it looks more attractive and enhances the curves on the bike, and upholds the sporty nature of the bike, another bike FZ150 will be launched soon if you are not in a hurry have a look at that also
Old 7th July 2008, 00:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

hello all,

I think its time for me to write the initial ownership experience/review, so here it goes…

I first heard about the bike here in TBHP around may, started researching about it . when I saw the first pictures I was simply blown away ,this is what I was looking for since a long time , I was also considering the Karizma , pulsar 220 was out of question as I already own a pulsar . And after all a YAM is a YAM that too one with racing DNA J . After reading about it a lot in blogs/xbhp and showing the pictures to the special one the decision was made this is the one for me.
From then on the wait started, made several visits to Orion Yamaha , bugging the sales guy with my queries, they did not have much information apart from it will be launched soon .Around early june they started bookings (for Rs 3-4k) they did not have any specs/brochure/price. I deiced to wait till the specs are reveled officially.
Then on 12th june midnight the specs were reveled along with the pictures.
Went to the showroom on 14th booked the bike paid 5k . some 75+ bookings were already made.On 17th the baby(blue) was in the showroom only for display (they are still not giving any TD’s), it looked absolutely stunning muscular in the right places and quite light at the same time. I was convinced I want this and only this. Discussed it with the special one and the next day paid the whole amount as that would give me the bike from the first lot.(I was the 37th to pay the amount).

The sales guy told me the first lot will be there on 24th and they will start delivery on 25th.Meanwhile chennai guys had already started delivery because of official launch event on the track.
It was not available anywhere else in India.But sadly even on 25th there was no sign of the bike .
Yamaha decided to hold to launch event in bangalore on 30th june @ garunda mall to deliver the first 200 bikes.I was invited but I was apprehensive about picking up the bike at the event .Anyway I went to witness the event it was pathetic to say the least . I was glad I did not pick the bike from there, people were going crazy there, some were fighting with their dealers it was chaos.Some 50-100 bike were deliverd there.
My sales guy asked me to drop down at the show room the next day to pickup the bike with registration.

I took leave from work and was at the showroom at 10 am with the special one.
Met the sales guy , he says..
Sir there is a small problem , the lot we got has very few blue bikes , they have sent mostly black ones.Can you please take the black one? I can deliver it right now.Blue is not available right now.
I went mad , I said no matter what you get me the blue bike I booked the blue one and paid the money 10 days back I want it today. Anyway with some discussion with the manager I was allotted a blue one. And was asked to pick it up in the evening after the paperwork.
Finally I got the bike in the evening without any scratches/problems as promised by the manager that she would personally inspect the bike at the warehouse.
I was more than happy with the bike , The engine sounded perfect the gearshift was precise and the riding position perfect as if tailor made for me. The paperwork had been completed , no accessories were provided with the bike.Took her to the temple straight away.
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2008, 00:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Now about the bike..

It is an absolute beauty to say the least, huge attention grabber .

Pros
The rear tyre looks a bit skinny but has loads of grip, does the job well.
Fit and finish is nearly perfect .The plastics are of good quality and the paint job is perfect.
The dial is simple yet stylish with beautiful blue back light.Headlights look stunning only the left one glows in low beam.

The riding position is very sporty yet comfortable at the same time.
Engine seems to very refined , and gear shifts are very smooth and precise.

The ride qaulity is good, handling is impacble, throw it into a corner any way imaginable and it takes it precisely, without ever making u feel uncomfortable, sticks to line like glue.

It is very maneuverable and rides easy in heavy traffic, braking is precise and powerfull, unlike any other indian bike.

Iam loving every moment of it , its fun to ride powerfull and light (130kg) the CG is very low , makes it very well balanced.

cons
1)very week horn
2)uncomfortable backseat
3)no centre stand
4)low end pick up could have been better
5)catches a lot of dirt on little muddy roads

Sorry about the long posts , my first writing experience so please pardon me this time .
Old 7th July 2008, 00:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

The guy at the Yamaha showroom on Lalbagh road told me that they will start offering TDs within 2 weeks. Once i take the TD, i am ready to plonk my money for this beauty.
Old 7th July 2008, 01:18   #58
BHPian

Very nice bike. I wish Yamaha had just worked a little more on the rear end.. Looks very ordinary especially with the Apache type pillion bars..
Old 7th July 2008, 09:45   #59
BHPian

ms001 - That was a crisp review. Since everyone knows the pros of this bike I wont elaborate much on them.
2 more cons which I felt were-

* Felt slight wrist pain, maybe its because I did 220kms of city driving in like 28hrs or something.Its a matter of getting used to it I feel.

* The headlight in dip mode is horrible.

BTW can someone explain the difference between switching of the engine via the engine kill button and by turning the key off.Is there any benefit using the engine kill switch other than that you can use the electronics[ex.park light,horn].
Old 7th July 2008, 09:54   #60
BHPian

Is that true that only one light work on the low beam and on high beam both are working

I think that both of them should work on low beam as in car.

Is there any temperature gauge ?

one other thing i want to ask you is there any fan placed behind the radiator so that engine is cooled if there is jam on streets in cities?

Last edited by F50 : 7th July 2008 at 10:40. Reason: Use the Edit Button

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks