Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st May 2007, 23:22   #1
h.k
BHPian

Post whats the best route to hyderabad from cochin

Dear BHP ians,

i am planning to drive from cochin to hyderbad, which would be the best and the safest route to take, is there any good place to stop for food etc.
all recomendation would be highly regarded.

i am not into extended driving so please advice on the same,

thanks

Hisham
h.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 07:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best route: Cochin - Ernakulam - Trichur - Palghat - Coimbatore - Perundurai - Bhavani (on NH47) - Mettur - Thoppur (on SH) - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore - Chikballapur - Anantapur - Kurnool - Hyderabad (on NH7)

Above route is the best and fastest.

Regarding food joints, pls let me know your timings/halts so that I can suggest the best food joint at that place. There are many food joints and Reliance A1 Plazas on the way.

Rough timings if you start early morning (say 3AM):
1) Cochin - Coimbatore (3.5 - 4 hours)
2) Coimbatore - Bangalore (5 - 6 hours)
3) Bangalore - Hyderabad (6 - 9 hours)

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 07:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
In that case, I suggest you take a halt at Hosur because Bangalore in the evenings can be a nightmare. There are couple of nice hotels on NH7 near the flyover in Hosur. There is a nice hotel called Rennaissance.
Then start from Hosur at 3AM the next day and reach Hyderabad by noon.

You can take the outer ring road at bangalore to reach Hyderabad road at Hebbal.

Abhi
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Rough timings if you start early morning (say 3AM):
1) Cochin - Coimbatore (3.5 - 4 hours)
2) Coimbatore - Bangalore (5 - 6 hours)
3) Bangalore - Hyderabad (6 - 9 hours)

Abhi
If you start at 3 am from Cochin, Coimbatore is just 2 hours away if you're FAST, max 3 if you're a normal driver. 3.5 to 4 hours is peak traffic timing.

CBE-BLR can be done in 5 or 6 hours depending on the number of stops you take.

If you start from Cochn on an early SUNDAY morning you should be able to reach Bangalore in 7.30 or 8 hours non-stop, but thats PUSHING it a bit. Incidentally we once did a Cochin-Bangalore-Cochin in 16 hours flat.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:09   #5
BANNED

I agree with Akroy. You'll have to do this in 2 legs. I mean, first to Bangalore and then continue to Hyd.

If you can leave early, then Bangalore can be reached within 8-10 hours. You can either take a room at one of the Hosur hotels or stay by your cousins' place at Bangy. They stay very close to the ring road at Kammanahalli, ain't it?
You can leave Bangy early and reach Hyd by late afternoon.
Man! It's gonna be fun.

Hmmm... I can see the new ride of your's already having some good influence in you. Eh?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
They stay very close to the ring road at Kammanahalli, ain't it?
Ya, Kammanahalli is adjacent to the ring road and very near to hebbal flyover. next day morning if u start say at 5AM, u will be on NH7 in 15min....In that case u can reach hyderbad outskirts by noon assuming that you take just one breakfast break....

There is a nice A1 Plaza at Gooty where u can have your breakfast....

Abhi
Old 30th June 2008, 11:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys, I can do with some advice. One of my friends is planning to do the Hyderabad-Coimbatore route in a day or two. I understand that the best route is via bangalore (alternate being through Salem, in case one wishes to avoid bangalore).

Now can you guys help me with the Bangalore-Coimbatore stretch please? MapMyIndia draws the route through the whole of bangalore city (no bypass?) and then soon gets on to the NH209. Is that really a NH or SH? Looks like it passes through a huge forest area. I see places like Punjaipuliampatti, Pongalur, Vadakkalur, Odderpalayam etc but none of the places mentioned by Abhi in the earlier post.

So what gives?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 12:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can't avoid Bangalore, but you can take the Outer Ring Road from NH7 Bellary Road (near Hebbal) to NH7 Hosur Road (near Madivala) to connect with the road via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri. No need to go to Salem, you can turn off NH7 at Toppur and go via Mettur to Bhavani where you join NH47 for a straight drive to Coimbaore via Perunthurai and Avinashi.

You could have also gone via Mysore to Coimbatore, but it is not worth connecting to Mysore Road from NH7 (unless NICE Road is complete??). In case you wish to do that, turn off NH7 at Hebbal towards NH4 Tumkur Road) and once you join NH4 before Peenya, immediately turn left into Ring Road towards Mysore.

Despite travelling on these roads for several years, I can't recognise any of the villages you are mentioning. My sincere advice is to delete the site and refer physical maps which are accurate.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 12:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Ok. Hmmm... Kumar saab, does the route below looks ok to you?

Name:  Bangalore_Chamrajpet.GIF
Views: 20426
Size:  63.8 KB

When this map is zoomed up all these villages start showing up on the way.
Old 30th June 2008, 13:29   #10
BHPian

2 hrs seems too less for this stretch, no matter what car you drive.

Consider Kuthiran (narrow ghat section) and pathetic condition of road (palghat - walayar). Only the initial small stretch (cochin-angamaly, 25 kms or so) is 4 lane (is the trichur bye-pass/chalakudi also 4 laned now?).

One will take close to 3 hours.

[quote=Steeroid;444341]If you start at 3 am from Cochin, Coimbatore is just 2 hours away if you're FAST quote]
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 13:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

Ok Kumar saab, I located the places you are talking about. But then will that not be a very wide circuitous route? It seems to add another 50kms to the distance.
Old 30th June 2008, 13:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you want to go via Mysore, it is still better to go on the Mysore road via Ramnagaram, Channapatna till Madur, then turn off to Madur and join the Kanakapura-Kollegala road en route C H Nagar.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Did This Route... Check-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
Dear BHP ians,

i am planning to drive from cochin to hyderbad, which would be the best and the safest route to take, is there any good place to stop for food etc.
all recomendation would be highly regarded.

thanks

Hisham
Hai HK,

I did the exact route and have put up a travalogue in the following link, here in the travalogue section:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-report-3.html

You'd find that the trip log URL below:, on 11th and 12th July, I've covered the route from Palakkad to Hyderabad, from Palakkad to Cochin add about 3 hours if early in the morning, if during day time max 4 hours. If you want to do the Palakkad CBE section, like Steeriod suggested, say between 1 am to 4 am, its doable in about 2 hours +, I've done that with a friend, long back in a Matuti van.

http://www.arkzsol.com/Abad-clt-hyd-%20aur-%20jun08.htm

My advise, if you start from Cochin to Bangalore would be to stop at Hosur and start early in the morniing to Hyderabad, like I did. Entering Bangalore in the peak hour is a traffic trap that would suck all your time.

I think you'd take more time on the Bangalore-Hyderabad route, at lest plan for 10 hours.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th June 2008 at 15:02.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 15:03   #14
Team-BHP Support

ramkya1, you are responding to a 1 year old query. The member would have long since done the journey. I have bumped up the thread for a query of mine on some parts of this route.
Old 30th June 2008, 15:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Did Not See The Dates... Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
ramkya1, you are responding to a 1 year old query. The member would have long since done the journey. I have bumped up the thread for a query of mine on some parts of this route.
Zappo, sorry, I did not look up the date and thought this was a fresh post..........

Maybe you'd get some answers for parts of this route?

Happy Hunting,

--Ramky
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote