Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 17:01   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Alternative routes - Mahabalipuram to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Are we referring to the SH115 being a 4 laner, and all the way to the Odiyur lake? If thats the case, there seems to be '0' worries.
No. By 4-laner I meant the GQ route.
The section I am referring to is: Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot.
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Planning to visit Mahabalipuram. GMaps shows two routes

1. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Chengalapattu-Mahabalipuram.
2. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Kanchipuram-Chengalapattu-Mahabalipuram.

Option 1 appears to be good after going through the postings below. Also will try not to enter Andhra if possible.
Will be traveling with my wife and 5 years old daughter. Please recommend a safe and good route.

Regards
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:24   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
2. Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Kanchipuram-Chengalapattu-Mahabalipuram.
- Take Kanchi road. Kanchi-Chengalpet-Mahabalipuram
- Kanchi has a roubabout bypass which you can use.

- Once you enter Kanchi through the first entry road, you will see an exit for Vandavasi. Take this road. Drive till the bridge.
- Drive back via Miltary are onto Chengalpet SH Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 10:09   #64
BHPian

Hi friends, I am planning to drive to Mahabalipuram from Bangalore in the month of November, during the Diwali holidays. So I need to plan for the trip from now. The last post in this topic was in March2016. From this thread I got too many route information. But not sure which one will be in best condition after the monsoon in November. Please share some information so that I can plan for the drive and what are the food options on the way, how much time (average) it would take , place to stay etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2016, 20:32   #65
BHPian

Hello Members!

Planning a trip to Mahabalipuram this weekend.

While I have travelled umpteen number of times to Pondicherry via the Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam route - I have never crossed the Palar river and onwards towards Chennai.

Can the experienced folks please confirm that the following route is ok from Vellore?

https://goo.gl/maps/D2jkX9Y6bMK2

1) Take the Kanchipuram bypass and join SH-58 by taking the Military Road, that goes parallel to Palar river, all the way to Chennai-Trichy highway

2) Then take a U-Turn on the Chennai-Trichy highway after Paranur (or is there an underpass here to directly go beneath the Chennai-Trichy highway)

3) Then continue on to SH-58 till Chengalpattu on the Ulavur-Chengalpattu road

4) Take the left fork on SH-58 after Krishna Mahal

5) Exit SH-58 after taking the left fork from Teacher’s Colony (TKM) on to road # 462

6) Then join SH-49B by taking the left fork after Don Bosco Polytechnic on to East Coast road and enter Mahabalipuram

Travelling along with my expectant wife (6 months) - so having some goosebumps!

Planning to take it slow - max 50 to 60 kmph irrespective of road condition & clearance available. Will break around every 60 kms or so, or at the earliest available break point.

1) McDonalds at Shoolagiri

2) Sai Sangeet between Krishnagiri & Vellore. May be too early after Shoolagiri, but can take a break anyways.

3) Any good option on the highway at Vellore with clean rest rooms?

4) Haven't been to Pondicherry after A2B began operations at Arcot, so that is an option as well if we skip a break at Vellore.

5) What are my options to break between Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram?

Thanks in advance for your inputs - my primary considerations are -

a) Good roads throughout (can travel an extra 40/50 kms if needed just for good roads)

b) break points available at around 60 kms between them

Last edited by Safety is Param : 21st November 2016 at 20:34.
Old 22nd November 2016, 06:53   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Can the experienced folks please confirm that the following route is ok from Vellore?
Road from Arcot towards Kanchi is pretty bad, patched-up and bumpy. Hence please take precautions.

Quote:
https://goo.gl/maps/D2jkX9Y6bMK2
1) Take the Kanchipuram bypass and join SH-58 by taking the Military Road, that goes parallel to Palar river, all the way to Chennai-Trichy highway
Yes this is the correct route.

Quote:
2) Then take a U-Turn on the Chennai-Trichy highway after Paranur (or is there an underpass here to directly go beneath the Chennai-Trichy highway)
The Kanchi-Chengalpet SH goes below the 4-Lane GST. You dont need to take a detour.

Quote:
3) Then continue on to SH-58 till Chengalpattu on the Ulavur-Chengalpattu road
4) Take the left fork on SH-58 after Krishna Mahal
5) Exit SH-58 after taking the left fork from Teacher’s Colony (TKM) on to road # 462
6) Then join SH-49B by taking the left fork after Don Bosco Polytechnic on to East Coast road and enter Mahabalipuram
Looks fine.

Quote:
4) Haven't been to Pondicherry after A2B began operations at Arcot, so that is an option as well if we skip a break at Vellore.
This is a good place. Much better than the one at Shoolagiri.

Quote:
5) What are my options to break between Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram?
Nothing. Within Kanchi you have lots of good hotels. GRT, Sangeetha, Saravana Bhavan etc.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd November 2016 at 08:30.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Road from Arcot towards Kanchi is pretty bad, patched-up and bumpy. Hence please take precautions.
Thank you! I was counting on your advice.

I did take into consideration going via Tindivanam (known route) and then on to Trichy-Chennai highway, however, that's an additional 90 to 100 kms.

I think I will instead prefer to take the Arcot - Kanchipuram stretch at a slow pace.

Do you have an idea on what to expect w.r.t. roads upon leaving the GQ at Kanchipuram and before latching on to the East Coast road?
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:03   #68
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have an idea on what to expect w.r.t. roads upon leaving the GQ at Kanchipuram and before latching on to the East Coast road?
Couple months ago, I had taken SH58 upto Walajahbad (Kanchi-Chengalpet highway) where I turned towards Oragadam and then reached my destination near Tambaram however, you will be continuing on SH58 towards Chengalpet.

The SH58 upto the Oragadam turn off was decent, barring a few small potholes, nothing alarming.
If I remember correctly, I read that the Chengalpet highway was asphalted few months ago, so I think it should be fine.

In this route, you will not be driving much on the ECR but that is almost always in good shape except for the volume of traffic it sees, drive safe and enjoy your trip

On your options for breaks:
-Shoolagiri has Krishna Inn, McD in same campus, then 5Km ahead at Chinnar you have A2B(best avoided and they open around 7am)
-Vaniyambadi has Sai Sangeet on left, excellent place
-Sai Sangeet near Ambur town but you need to exit into the town
-Another Sai Sangeet near Walajah toll but on right side, pain to get there as you will have to cross toll gate in both directions for U-turns!
-A2B, Arcot - newish and decent from the reports I've seen here
-Inside Kanchi you have good options as amp has mentioned - A2B, Sangeethas, Hotel Saravana Bhavan, GRT (upscale)
-Not much else after this all the way till Mahabalipuram barring local eateries mostly

Last edited by NPV : 22nd November 2016 at 11:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 20:30   #69
BHPian

Hi Tbhp'ians,

Planning for a trip to Mahabalipuram on the weekend of 3rd and 4th Dec. There will be two cars and 4 couples. Have to avoid any bad roads as we have a pregnant traveler also.

Have selected the following route as our hotel is slightly far from Mahabalipuram town, near the Crocodile Park.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ku...4!2d12.7364686

Since the route till Sriperumbudur from Bangalore is on the national highway, I expect the roads should be good. But any idea about the road conditions as shown in the map route? Also recommended eateries on the route, especially after vellore?
Old 30th November 2016, 21:30   #70
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Since the route till Sriperumbudur from Bangalore is on the national highway, I expect the roads should be good. But any idea about the road conditions as shown in the map route? Also recommended eateries on the route, especially after vellore?
You'll be surprised that the NH section near Ambur is pathetic and also roads from Walajahpet till Sriperumbudur is patched up and gives a bumpy ride so just be slower on these sections and negotiate with care as you will be have a pregnant passenger on board.

At Sriperumbudur you will see the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial on right where you need to make a U-turn and head back to reach the turn off (left turn) towards Manimangalam. While the road condition is quite fine, there are several turns and can confuse a first timer, hope you have maps/GPS to guide you.
I'm not aware of the conditions beyond Vandalur, but I don't expect this to be bad.
Old 30th November 2016, 22:05   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Roads beyond Arcot are pathetic. Not worth it to go all the way to Sriperumbudur. You may be better off to get into Kanchi and go via Chengalpet.
Old 1st December 2016, 17:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You'll be surprised that the NH section near Ambur is pathetic and also roads from Walajahpet till Sriperumbudur is patched up and gives a bumpy ride so just be slower on these sections and negotiate with care as you will be have a pregnant passenger on board.
Thanks @npv for your inputs. Seems I will reroute to Kanchipuram- Chengelpet- Mahabalipuram in that case. Will be reliant on google maps all the way so should be ok I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Roads beyond Arcot are pathetic. Not worth it to go all the way to Sriperumbudur. You may be better off to get into Kanchi and go via Chengalpet.

Thanks. Will take that route then. Any ideas of good eateries on the way. Heard Kanchi has some good places, plan to have lunch at Kanchi in that case?
Old 1st December 2016, 19:27   #73
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @npv for your inputs. Seems I will reroute to Kanchipuram- Chengelpet- Mahabalipuram in that case. Will be reliant on google maps all the way so should be ok I suppose.
Read up the last few posts. Unless you need to go into Kanchi for temple visits and or a food break, you can take the bypass and then the Military road to bypass part of the town and get to the Chengalpet road.

Quote:
Any ideas of good eateries on the way. Heard Kanchi has some good places, plan to have lunch at Kanchi in that case?
Your ideal place to break will be Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi about 150Km from Bangalore, say 2-2.5 hours away. They usually open by 6:15am.

Other options are the A2B at Arcot and after that mostly inside Kanchi - A2B, Sangeetha, Hotel Saravana Bhavan, GRT (upscale).
Kanchi may be too early for lunch if you're starting between 5-6am from Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 1st December 2016 at 19:28.
Old 2nd December 2016, 01:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tbhp'ians,

Planning for a trip to Mahabalipuram on the weekend of 3rd and 4th Dec. There will be two cars and 4 couples. Have to avoid any bad roads as we have a pregnant traveler also.
First of all - check the weather on the 3rd and 4th.

Here is my experience from last week -

1. Avoided the BETL as the metal joints on the flyover would pass on unnecessary vibrations in one's body. If you are starting early, the regular silk board - bommanahalli - electronic city route is fine.

2. Slow down immediately once you see toll booths approaching, avoid last moment braking and switching toll lanes abruptly (applies mainly to the vehicle carrying the expectant mom)

3. Take all flyovers on the Bangalore Chennai highway with caution. Beginning and end of each flyover may be bumpy and the centers are concrete patches that transmit more vibration compared to tarred patches.

4. The railway flyover after Ambur has a dangerous right hand curve. Take it with caution.

5. Have breakfast at Sri Krishna located at the HP - McDonald's campus at Shoolagiri. We found the food better here compared to Sai Sangeet (personal opinion). Take a casual break at Sai Sangeet so blood circulation normalizes.

6. Take a break at Arcot A2B if you don't plan on additional breaks at Kanchipuram.

7. Attibele to Ambur can be maintained at 65 kmph. Please don't exceed 35 kmph while crossing Ambur. Once you descend the rail over bridge, 65 kmph can be maintained till Arcot. Be careful on vellore bypass (2 wheelers galore)

8. Once you cross the bridge after Arcot, roads are OK for 2 kms, and then all hell breaks loose. Maintain max 40 kmph after crossing this bridge.

9. Once you leave the national highway and enter SH and MDR, your average speed will reduce to 25 kmph and max speed to 40 kmph.

10. Once you cross Trichy Chennai highway underpass, there are 2 to 3 stretches of broken roads, 50 m each. Please have the pregnant lady walk these stretches rather than maneuvering while she is in the vehicle. This will also help in blood circulation considering no breaks were taken after Arcot.

11. State transport buses and private company buses are aplenty on both, the SH and MDR.

While returning we made a small modification to our plan - decided to stay one night in pondicherry - travelled Mahabalipuram to Pondicherry (95 kms) - next day afternoon did pondicherry - Bangalore as I am kind of well versed with that route. Here as well, Cheyyar bypass is out of the world experience!!

Best thing would be to take regular feedback from the mom to be on how she is feeling about the driving pattern being followed, and make adjustments accordingly.

Put her in the better of the 2 vehicles. Keep her hydrated (one tends to forget in cool weather and holiday excitement)

Additional questions, please let me know. I am not as expert as Amp & NPV, however, since I traveled recently I can recall most of the stuff.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 2nd December 2016 at 01:45.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
First of all - check the weather on the 3rd and 4th.

Here is my experience from last week -

Put her in the better of the 2 vehicles. Keep her hydrated (one tends to forget in cool weather and holiday excitement)

Additional questions, please let me know. I am not as expert as Amp & NPV, however, since I traveled recently I can recall most of the stuff.

Thanks a lot for the detailed description. It is for this reason I love TBHP where members are genuinely interested to help.
I have travelled Bangalore Pondicherry multiple times so well versed with the route till arcot. But will surely keep your advise in mind about the specifics.
Looking forward to the trip with all precautions. Appreciate you taking the pain to guide us through the travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Read up the last few posts. Unless you need to go into Kanchi for temple visits and or a food break, you can take the bypass and then the Military road to bypass part of the town and get to the Chengalpet road.

Thanks NPV. My bad, didn't go through the earlier posts, most queries resolved. Will keep in mind your inputs while travelling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks