Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 20:02   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

MC its your decision. The NH7 option gives clean roads and also good eating joints on the way. If you are comfortable to go via Hospet on the Getaway, it would be worth a try.

May not be a problem for the Getaway. I am not sure of the recent road conditions though.
Old 12th June 2011, 00:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
That's a good 120 Kms extra from my route posted earlier. I don't want to turn off at Gooty for Guntakal and Bellary as that is one HORRIBLE road. But considering that I'll be driving in the Getaway which is not very fast of the NH compared to a potholed SH, I don't want to travel 120 Kms extra.

Can someone please tell me the present road condition between Penukonda and CKM.
Why not try this route?

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to Chikmagalur, Karnataka, India - Google Maps

I don't know the route conditions upto Madavaram. Madavaram-Adoni-Aluru-Karnataka Border is in good conditions. The last 30 kms (IIRC) to Bellary is pretty bad. Bellary bypass-Challakere is very good. Challakere to Chitradurga is decent (heard it from a friend). Chitradurga-Bhadravati stretch is unknown. It is an NH though. Have heard mixed reviews on this route, so don't know exactly.

Bhadravathi to Kaimara via Tarikere is in good condition with an occasional rough strecth. You will not touch Chikmagalur on this route.

I agree that traveling 120 kms extra is not worth it. Again, on that route I heard that Dobbespet-Doddaballapur stretch is in bad condition from a friend who did that route last week.

The route from Penukonda-Chikmagalur passes through interior roads which are generally not known to be in good condition. I may be wrong since it has been quite a while I traveled on them.

Since you are going in a getaway, I think you can manage some bad roads wihout any problem.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:36   #48

I am in the same boat as fellow member MC here.

We have planned to make the Hyderabad to CKM trip in our Innova, leaving around 4 am tomorrow.

Considering that the monsoons have set in, which route would be better?

We plan to make CKM our base, visiting Yedakumeri(railway track trek) and Kudremukh trekking.
Going through some of the opinions, it seems the the CKM interior roads are a problem with some works, would you suggest staying somewhere on the outskirts, since we wont't be visiting any places in CKM.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 12th June 2011, 22:36   #49
Team-BHP Support

First things first: Now that track is live! There are trains running on it now. Hence make sure trekking is OK and allowed.

About route to CKM, MC knows better about the route via Hospet. Its 120km less no no doubt, but the NH7 via Devanahalli is more comfortable one. If you start by 4 (or 3:30) you should be at Devanahalli by 9. Go via Dobbaspet/Tumkur/Kadur, you should be at CKM latest by 3-4 (including substantial lunch and BF break).
Old 13th June 2011, 10:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post

We plan to make CKM our base, visiting Yedakumeri(railway track trek) and Kudremukh trekking.
Going through some of the opinions, it seems the the CKM interior roads are a problem with some works, would you suggest staying somewhere on the outskirts, since we wont't be visiting any places in CKM.

Thanks a lot in advance!
What is the timeframe you have for these activities? The Yedakumari railway track is around 60 kms from Chikmagalur. Kudremukh too is around 100 kms from Chikmagalur. You may have to stay in Kudremukh or nearby for the Kudremukh trek and again stay in Sakleshpur for the Railway track trek.

The road conditions from Chikmagalur to Kudremukh is good. Chikmagalur-Sakleshpur road is bad. The best option is to come via Belur-Hassan to reach Sakleshpur.

There is nothing to see in Chikmagalur town as such. All the touristy places around Chikmagalur are a day's drive from there. It can be a base to visit places only if you drive. If you happen to trek along with drive, making Chikmagalur as a base is not feasible.

Trains are running round the clock on the Yedakumari route. But, that should not be a problem. There will be ample space along the tracks to stop when trains are passing. just watch out on the bridges though. One more thing: leeches. There will be a lot of leeches considering the rains which have started.

Officially, it is an offence to trek on the tracks. But, I don't think it should be a problem as people have been trekking there without any problems for years. Recently, I saw a tv program where they did a documentary on this route. (btw, if it is of any use, me and my friends were shown in that film and we were interviewed too )

Last edited by addyhemmige : 13th June 2011 at 10:25.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Bhadravathi to Kaimara via Tarikere is in good condition with an occasional rough strecth. You will not touch Chikmagalur on this route.
Took this route 10 days back. It is in beautiful condition, The road has been repaired and at some places, road is relaid with fresh tar.

Yep, one needs to take right turn at Kaimara to visit Mullaingiri, if you head straight at Kaimara, you'll reach CKM.

Quote:
After checking out a bit, booked GreenDale. Its located near Kaimara Jn.
Nice place. Convey my regards to Aravind, who happens to be a friend of mine ;-)
Old 13th June 2011, 12:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

We did the Hyd-CKM route via Blore in March and it was pretty good and the 120 extra kms did not quite add upto that much of extra time.We took a break in Blore,but we would have easily reached CKM in under 13hours if we were to do it in one stretch

We did Shamshabad Airport to Hebbal in 6.5hours.Add in an hour to reach Nelamangala turnoff to NH48 from Hebbal flyover.From the start of NH48 to Chikmagalur Gateway took us exactly 4 hours with a half an hour stop at Kamat Hassan.

The NH7-48 is a fast option and relatively stress free(better eating facilities definitely)but yes,boring because of the monotonous NH7.NH48 is comparitively livelier!
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think thats the missing point. I think he took the Bannavara road and not the Kadur road. Hence the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It would have been better if you had taken Arasikere - Kadur-Sakrepatna-CKM road. It's in good condition all the way till CKM, except some rough surface between Sakrepatna & CKM.
Quite True! I asked around Banavara on how to reach CKM and I was directed on a route via Devanur to Sakrepatna. And this road was pretty bad.

Cheers!
Old 30th August 2011, 02:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread up again. I plan to go from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur today evening and wanted to find out if Hyderabad-Penukonda-Hiriyur-Chikmagalur road is the right one to take.
Or Should I do the Hyderabad-Gooty -Bellary- Chitradurga-Chikmagalur route.

Did not want to drive up to Bangalore. Will be driving an Innova. Key is shortest time.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Bumping this thread up again. I plan to go from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur today evening and wanted to find out if Hyderabad-Penukonda-Hiriyur-Chikmagalur road is the right one to take.
Or Should I do the Hyderabad-Gooty -Bellary- Chitradurga-Chikmagalur route.

Did not want to drive up to Bangalore. Will be driving an Innova. Key is shortest time.
Penukonda - Hiriyur - Chikmagalur is really bad road. Atleast it was in June and I'm saying this with a Scorpio Getaway.

Also please do not go on the Gooty - Bellary Highway as it is one of the worst highways in the country.

If you want to do shortest time, then you should be doing Hyd - MahboobNagar - Raichur - Hospet - Harihar - Shimoga - Chikmagalur. This road is better than the others.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 11:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Penukonda - Hiriyur - Chikmagalur is really bad road. Atleast it was in June and I'm saying this with a Scorpio Getaway.

Also please do not go on the Gooty - Bellary Highway as it is one of the worst highways in the country.

If you want to do shortest time, then you should be doing Hyd - MahboobNagar - Raichur - Hospet - Harihar - Shimoga - Chikmagalur. This road is better than the others.

Cheers
thanks - Did you do this route and how much time did this take. Sent you a PM with my number to discuss if you have some time
Old 30th August 2011, 11:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
thanks - Did you do this route and how much time did this take.
I have done Hyderabad to Hospet twice in an innova.
The road between Mehboobnagar to Raichur has potholes. Cant go above 60 at night. From Raichur to Gangawati and Hospet the road is good. Hyderabad to Hospet is easily doable in 6 hours. Hospet to Chitradurga I had gone 2-3 years back. Was ridden of potholes that time. Dont know about the current condition.
vivek_vt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 11:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
I have done Hyderabad to Hospet twice in an innova.
The road between Mehboobnagar to Raichur has potholes. Cant go above 60 at night. From Raichur to Gangawati and Hospet the road is good. Hyderabad to Hospet is easily doable in 6 hours. Hospet to Chitradurga I had gone 2-3 years back. Was ridden of potholes that time. Dont know about the current condition.
Thanks. I have also done the Hampi trip via Hospet 5-6 times till now and my assessment is around 6-7 hours or so. Now if someone can also help on the route condition after Hospet, it will be great
Old 30th August 2011, 11:55   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have also done the Hampi trip via Hospet 5-6 times till now and my assessment is around 6-7 hours or so. Now if someone can also help on the route condition after Hospet, it will be great
We did Hyderabad-Chikmagalur but via Bangalore and frankly speaking we arrived fresh in CKM thanks to the super 4laned roads.Left Hyd at 5am,reached Devanahalli at 11am.Entered NH48 at Nelamangala at 1230 and was in CKM at 4.I dont think there would be any great saving in terms of time by going via hospet?correct me if i am wrong but just a hunch.And with an Innova,you should be able to do better times as we were in a figo.Roads in and around raichur,hospet are always suspect and with the monsoons in full flow in KA,I doubt it would be in any great shape at the moment.

Yes the downside is the toll that you would have to end up paying on the nh7-nh48 combo
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 21:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

So I did the Hyderabad - Devanhalli - Tumkur - Chikmangalur as depicted on this map

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to Chikmagalur, Karnataka, India - Google Maps

Total driving time was 14 hours but that included a 1.5 hour stop on the highway to attend a conference call and also another 1.5 hour detour to visit Anantapur city for some personal work. So without these it is doable in 11 hours or so.

In terms of safe speeds, I would say:
Hyderabad - Devanhalli : 100 kmph
Devanhalli - Dobbasapet: 80-90 kmph
Dobbasapet - Tumkur : 100-110 kmph
Tumkur - Kadur : 80-100 kmh
Kadur - CKM : 60-90 kmph

There were no car breaking stretches and the only broken tarmac I enocountered on a regular basis was the Kudur - Chikmagalur Stretch that was also doable at a steady 80 kmph in the Innova.

Total distance was approx 790 kms. Many thanks to all for helping out with your suggestions.

Finally it rained all day here so not much getting out and my daughter already is pestering me to go back to Hyderabad.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 31st August 2011 at 21:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks