Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 20:56   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The newly opened Tirunelveli bye-pass is like a dream!
That is good news! Where does it start and end? Saw it branching off to the right after Sankarnagar (when I drove that way in Jan), but would love to know more about its exact details.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 21:43   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactgautam View Post
Hi HV,
Good to see you responding to my thread. I did Dli-Pune last year in my 8 year old Maruti Van in 2 days via Agra. Gwalior. Indore, Shirdi and finally Pune. I bypassed nashik as I wanted to visit Shirdi. While coming back I took pune-mumbai expressway from Pune & thereafter NH8 & drove to Mt Abu in the first day and and back in delhi the next day. To my pleasant surprise I did not find the kind of traffic you are talking about in Mumbai Surat Sector. I passed this sector around 11o'clock if I correctly remember. Anyway could tell me exactly what time the traffic becomes heavy. Secondly, how is t the nashik pune highway. Never driven on it. Also planning to do gao - kochi in one day. Is it doable considering the road condotion. Your alternate route suggestion for the return trip is great, But won't follow the route as I will have to meet my daughter again in Pune on my way back to dli. Your suggestion for the kerala route is well taken and possibly will be following it
By the way I was the solitary driver last year, and so will it be this year as well. No helping hand here.

The difference between last year and now is that:
- the Vapi-Surat widening work has begun, which is leading tio slower traffic speeds
- there are often jams in the roads leading to the River Narmada bridge between Ankleshwar and Bharuch
- And I suspect that last year was tepid thanks to recession (it made significant impact in truck movements, as per my observation), and now traffic is swinging wild again
- there are severe bottlenecks in the roads leading out of Bombay (especially Ghodbunder-Manor), with huge Qs in the Vasai toll gate and high truck movement.

I would particularly avoid Fri-Sun because of higher truck movement towards A'bad side. But this is merely indicative, and no guarantee that you will face only mild traffic on other days. Remember this route sees steady traffic throughout the year and most of it is long-distance trucks and not buses or personal cars.

Very difficult to put a time, but I think an afternoon start from Bombay may help snuff out the traffic problems, but I prefer the early morning starts (3 am).

Nashik-Pune is a comfortable drive (NH50), has some hilly terrain and traffic congestion approaching Pune (after Chakan).

Goa-Kochi is doable in a long driving day, the only problem is having to battle heavy and chaotic traffic in Kundapura-Mangalore and again after entering Kerala (especially Kannur-Kozhikode). Therefore, pacing the day is not going to be easy and if you are unlucky, expect time overruns of upto 2 hours from normal standard times.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 07:55   #18
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactgautam View Post
Hi friends,
Have been planning this trip for some time and now I am pretty impatient to start it.
Well! The plan is to start from Delhi with my 10 month old Sx4 on the 28th evening at about 5 or 6 pm and drive through the night non stop to pune. It should take around 20 hours or so. Stay there for a week with my daughter who is doing her MBA and then proceed to Goa, Karwar, Mangalore, Kerala (idduki, lake periyar & Kumarakom back waters in kerala) and finally to kanya Kumari.
The return trip from Cape Comorin will be thru Bangaluru, pune and Ahemedabad, Udaipur, Jaipur and Back to Delhi. I have given myself one month for this trip. Total distance should be about 6500 km approximately.

Will keep you guys posted on the progress of my itenary.
Suggestions and advice are welcome
hi CG, i did delhi mumbai recently. Delhi Pune in 20 hrs will be tight as there are certain stretch which will spoil your average speed.

1. Delhi - Shahpura - Road widening , could take 4 hours + some times. While returning it took 5.5 hrs for us.

2 After Shahpur till Udiapur - is Makhan.

3. Udaipur to Himmatnagar - High trucker density.

4. Post himmatnagar till baroda is again makhan.

5. Post Baroda till Mumbai - Real pain. Truck,Truck and Trucks and road widening is in progress too as mentioned by HVK. it will easily consume 8 to 9 hrs.

You can refer my delhi mumbai log for reference. I will be following this thread as one of my trip is long pending would like to do it in december.

All the best for you trip.
cheers
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:37   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The difference between last year and now is that:
- the Vapi-Surat widening work has begun, which is leading tio slower traffic speeds
- there are often jams in the roads leading to the River Narmada bridge between Ankleshwar and Bharuch
- And I suspect that last year was tepid thanks to recession (it made significant impact in truck movements, as per my observation), and now traffic is swinging wild again
- there are severe bottlenecks in the roads leading out of Bombay (especially Ghodbunder-Manor), with huge Qs in the Vasai toll gate and high truck movement.

I would particularly avoid Fri-Sun because of higher truck movement towards A'bad side. But this is merely indicative, and no guarantee that you will face only mild traffic on other days. Remember this route sees steady traffic throughout the year and most of it is long-distance trucks and not buses or personal cars.

Very difficult to put a time, but I think an afternoon start from Bombay may help snuff out the traffic problems, but I prefer the early morning starts (3 am).

Nashik-Pune is a comfortable drive (NH50), has some hilly terrain and traffic congestion approaching Pune (after Chakan).

Goa-Kochi is doable in a long driving day, the only problem is having to battle heavy and chaotic traffic in Kundapura-Mangalore and again after entering Kerala (especially Kannur-Kozhikode). Therefore, pacing the day is not going to be easy and if you are unlucky, expect time overruns of upto 2 hours from normal standard times.
Hey HV,
After reading your first post, I agree 20hrs from dli to pune will be pretty tight. Possibly will give a break or night halt at Valsad with a relative who stays there. Will start for pune from Valsad next day early in the morning at 4 am.This way I tnink I should be able to slip past the traffic. Keep advising me. I will be needing them the most from 28th of this month from such a distinguished ace like you. Come on . Enjoy the compliment. It is a sincere one.
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:41   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Exciting trip planned. Experienced experts have already given required inputs, so nothing more that I can add. We'll also be in KK during middle of June this year. Have a safe trip.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 10:01   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
hi CG, i did delhi mumbai recently. Delhi Pune in 20 hrs will be tight as there are certain stretch which will spoil your average speed.

1. Delhi - Shahpura - Road widening , could take 4 hours + some times. While returning it took 5.5 hrs for us.

2 After Shahpur till Udiapur - is Makhan.

3. Udaipur to Himmatnagar - High trucker density.

4. Post himmatnagar till baroda is again makhan.

5. Post Baroda till Mumbai - Real pain. Truck,Truck and Trucks and road widening is in progress too as mentioned by HVK. it will easily consume 8 to 9 hrs.

You can refer my delhi mumbai log for reference. I will be following this thread as one of my trip is long pending would like to do it in december.

All the best for you trip.
cheers
Thanks for your feedback, Noted the makkhans and the pains. In order to give the pains a slip, I am planning a night halt at valsad with my relative and resume onward journey to pune next day at 4 am in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Exciting trip planned. Experienced experts have already given required inputs, so nothing more that I can add. We'll also be in KK during middle of June this year. Have a safe trip.
Thanks LDL
At this point of time I won't know my ETA at Kanya Kumari, as I will be staying some days in Pune, Goa, Kerala and maybe for a day in Mangalore.
Will give send you a PM th day I am there. Thanks once again for your good wishes. I need them most certainly.

Last edited by bblost : 17th May 2010 at 10:30. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 15:19   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Gautam, thanks for the praise!
Stop over in Valsad will be perfect.
However, traffic leading to Bombay in early morning hours is also high, but that can't be helped. If you leave by 4 am, you can make it past Thane by 730 am before the peak hour traffic starts and you can be in Pune by 1030 am.
Please call anytime during your drive if you need any help en route.
Check out my log books of the route for guidance on road detail and hotels.
Check out the following link on how to bypass Bombay, via Thane:
HOW TO BYPASS BOMBAY via New Bombay - North side - hvkumar | Google Groups
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 20:34   #23
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 715
Thanked: 374 Times
Post 4-lane Tirunelveli-byepass over

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is good news! Where does it start and end? Saw it branching off to the right after Sankarnagar (when I drove that way in Jan), but would love to know more about its exact details.
I joined it from the Tuticorin road which meets if half-way.
It joins a long way after Tirunelveli-town (towards KK).
My cousin driving from Madurai to Tirunelveli last week told me that he missed going inside Tirunelveli and went a long way on the 4-lane before he realized he had to turn back, a compliment on the seamless road.

Last edited by manim : 17th May 2010 at 20:35.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:19   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

To All

Has anyone used a navigator while on a long trip?
I recently bought a Map my India Navigator. Have not used it in Delhi so far where I stay, as because I know my way through the city.
Will it be useful in showing me the most convenient and safe route to my destination, How reliable will it be? Can I depended on it?

Looking forward to useful feedbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Gautam, thanks for the praise!
Stop over in Valsad will be perfect.
However, traffic leading to Bombay in early morning hours is also high, but that can't be helped. If you leave by 4 am, you can make it past Thane by 730 am before the peak hour traffic starts and you can be in Pune by 1030 am.
Please call anytime during your drive if you need any help en route.
Check out my log books of the route for guidance on road detail and hotels.
Check out the following link on how to bypass Bombay, via Thane:
HOW TO BYPASS BOMBAY via New Bombay - North side - hvkumar | Google Groups
HV
This is for you
Do you use a navigator while on long trips? If yes, then feedback and your personal experience please.
I recently bought a Map my India Navigator. Have not used it in Delhi so far where I stay, as because I know my way through the city.
Will it be useful in showing me the most convenient and safe route to my destination, How reliable will it be? Can I depended on it?

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 10:29. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead while editing within 15 mts. Thanks
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:53   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 719
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactgautam View Post
HV
This is for you
Do you use a navigator while on long trips? If yes, then feedback and your personal experience please.
I recently bought a Map my India Navigator. Have not used it in Delhi so far where I stay, as because I know my way through the city.
Will it be useful in showing me the most convenient and safe route to my destination, How reliable will it be? Can I depended on it?
Gautam sir,

I have not used any such devise, but, I now what HV sir is going to say about this: (quote from his some other post); "MMI computers don't track bad and incomplete roads, but we do!'
Am I right HVK sir?
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 02:01   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

MMI will help you out in most cities. However, MMI will not be able to tell you about truck density, road widening, certain hidden roads, other such reasons which will delay your travel.
HVK tells those.
And MMI helps in tracking your trip and making a log of those for posterity.
I've mailed you my number. 28th being a friday, I will be in office till atleast 7:30 pm (I normally get delayed on fridays). 29th I'm free to catch up with you any place in Pune.
Happy driving!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:36   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

I do not use any Navigators. But I have checked out both MMI and SatNavGuide and experience is quite unsatisfactory. Their computers plot routes wrongly, they work badly in many city roads and point of interest are inadequate. However, they are improving and I guess 1-2 years from now, you should see much better products. BTW, I am testing both MMI and SatNavGuides for them and give them both data and feedback on routes and mistakes.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 10:49   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Delhi to KanyaKumari

Hai There!
Its me again Did all the driving that we discussed in 2010
(Delhi,Mumbai,Pune,Goa,Cochin,Munnar,Periyar lake,Madurai and KanyaKumari,Bangalore,Pune,Mumbai and back to Delhi). Had the Map my India navigator with me. Found it completely useless in all cities that I visited. I have upgraded the map to 6.1 I think. Will give it a try once more. What is your feed back? Will be driving down to kolkata in Dec11
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 16:10   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,597 Times
Default re: Delhi to KanyaKumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactgautam View Post
Had the Map my India navigator with me. Found it completely useless in all cities that I visited. I have upgraded the map to 6.1 I think. Will give it a try once more. What is your feed back? Will be driving down to kolkata in Dec11
I would say MMI maps are not that bad. Its just that you cannot let them
blindly guide you. You will need to perform some route planning on your
PC and somehow transfer the route plan to your set (through waypoints, routes etc)

I would suggest, you should somehow create route planning front end solution
on your PC and plan out all your main entry/exit/bypass options for major cities.
In most cases, the router algorithm of the hardware typically would find an
optimum solution mainly going through the city/town in question.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 13:54   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 51
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Delhi to KanyaKumari

Hey Buddies
Planning a trip to kolkata by the end of December 11 with my Sx4.Want loads of advice on NH2, good reasonable accommodation, some yummy roadside eateries and other things I need to know. Previously have driven thru out the country starting from Rhotang Pass to KanyaKumari.My longest driving distance is 1026 km in one day i.e. from Pune to Mount Abu
contactgautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning long holiday, Delhi-Leh-Delhi, Delhi-Gangotri-Delhi by road arunforu1 Route / Travel Queries 19 22nd August 2009 02:25
B’lore–Cochin–Trivandrum–Kanyakumari–Kodai–Munnar– Coimbatore–B’lore 6 days black12rr Travelogues 3 24th May 2008 23:53
Kashmir to KanyaKumari on a Kinetic NOVA moralfibre Street Experiences 12 1st April 2008 20:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:08.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks