Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 01:30   #661
BHPian

Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
NoRules ~ Congratulations! a fine choice indeed.
I can easily understand why you picked the Magnum over the Cruze.
But have you gone in for the LT model?
why not the LTZ?
Magnum has only LS and LT. LT is top end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
And just what gave you that thought, Keyur?
BTW, any plans to fund my purchase to expedite the process? You saved some by not buying the Cruze you had in mind!!
I thought that you had mentioned about going to book it. Or was it someone else?
And man, my savings are going part by part - firstly to the RD box, and probably another car soon!
Also, there are a few great funding options (exclusive and elusive) from some banks that are not known well enough - you may PM/call me for the same.

Quote:
The Optra is also much heavier than many other cars, so that will have an effect on tyre purchase considerations
Optra has stock 195/60/R15 and there are not too many options in this. The next is an upgrade to 205.
There are many threads on this too (had checked them out during my tyre issue) - just search Optra Tyre!

Last edited by keyur : 4th August 2011 at 01:47.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Will know in a week or so. Cannot wait to lay my hands on the beast.
All the 'beast' for your purchase mate
That sounds more appropriate for cars like the Optra and Cruze etc!

Linea and Optra Sales Plunging Downwards

Sales for
April-May-June-July
  • Optra: 368-240-241-121
  • Linea: 810-845-350-175
  • Fiesta Classic: 1092-1266-1077-1262
  • Verna (Fluidic): 1854-4357-4102-4724
  • SX4: 2102-2702-713-2303
  • Indigo+Manza: 5282-4268-4882-4877
  • Vento: 2866-2403-2457-2846
  • Verito: 1006-1291-1510-1630
  • Civic: 253-190-175-233
  • Corolla: 776-419-629-1030
  • Jetta: 162-101-59-109
  • Laura: 421-646-693-580
  • Pajero: 76-146-107-180
(have added some cars, just to get a broad overall view, even though they aren't comparable vehicles)

The Optra and Linea sales really have plummeted this month.

By any chance, is there any news on production issues with these cars, or is it just the effect of the newer launches catching up (NFF, Fluidic)? Despite the disappointment with the NFF expressed by many, its launch does seem to have hurt the Linea and possibly the Optra as well. Interestingly, the Fiesta Classic sold more!

Guys, any thoughts on these developments?

Last edited by Poitive : 5th August 2011 at 10:15. Reason: Formatting
Old 5th August 2011, 10:39   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sales for
April-May-June-July
  • Optra: 368-240-241-121
  • Linea: 810-845-350-175
Poitive

The effect of Vento and Fluidic's major success is one of the major reasons Optra and Linea sales are down. In case of Vento, it was "Veni Vidi Vici" story, which are very few in India. In case of Fluidic, it was the case of Outstanding packaging and excellent aesthetics backed up by already established Hyundai A.S.S.

Adding to that was the major price cut by Honda. Honda numbers are showing that they did achieve what they wanted from the price cut. When Honda announced their price cuts, I (and probably a few more car enthusiasts) was hoping SO MUCH that Fiat announces some price cuts on their line-up. Infact, for a few days, when I accessed their website for prices, it shows "Prices are being revised...". My eyes lit up and eagerly waited for a hefty discount on the T-Jet. But nothing of that sort happened. Fiat did come up with some silly contest, but it would have never worked. Fiat could have cashed in on this price-cut mania spreading all over the place, but they did not.

In case of Optra, most people I talk to say "Is that car still available?" That is a general opinion about Optra that people have. If Chevy intends to extract some good numbers for Optra, they need to advertise more aggressively IMO. They need to air some jazzy advertisement on the TV channels, like Honda has started advertising the ANHC. People need to know loud and clear that Optra is a killing car at a killing price tag (D segment car at C segment price).

P.S. I can not write as well as you, but these are my thoughts.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th August 2011 at 10:40.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:07   #664
BHPian

A little OT

I was searching for some stuff related to optra Magnum and ended up at this site Deedi motors.

Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L-chevrolution_1_large.jpg

Are these alloys available for Optra Magnum?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to topic on spacious diesel sedan.

Is Tata Manza going to release a new version? Dr.Suraj had posted this in July 2011 car sales thread

"the Manza LE should be out this month (which btw I might be going for, but a full story dedicated to that later)"

Does anyone know what Manza LE is?
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 20:33   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think they have reached rock bottom. Now there is only one place to go and that is up!
I am surprised with Linea's number. The T-jet inspite of being the best driver's car in its segment, it records pathetic numbers.
They either need to plonk the 1.6 MJd or move out from India as a car manufacturing company - Just produce engines for other OEMs. Ironic.

I am not sure what exactly GM is cooking. They just need to stop producing cars that are selling so few (Aveo, Uva and even Optra). These are just not helping the brand. Get a facelift, do some advertising or just stop the production.

GM would be a much better brand if they sold only Spark, Beat and Cruze.
Old 5th August 2011, 21:59   #666
BHPian

Honestly, though Optra is wonderful car to drive, the biggest factor working against it is its age. It's clearly one generation older and maybe that's one of the reasons for the plummeting volumes.
Old 6th August 2011, 00:01   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Honestly, though Optra is wonderful car to drive, the biggest factor working against it is its age. It's clearly one generation older and maybe that's one of the reasons for the plummeting volumes.
On the contrary, I feel the fact that the design is old is what works in its favour. It still looks like how cars are supposed to look like. See the cars of the current generation, from up front to me they look like Charlie Sheen with a face lift and from behind they are like JLo's butt, both gone bad.

What is working against the Chevy is the old perception that Chevy cars are inefficient to run and the fact that very few people are actually aware that Magnum is equipped with a black oil burner. Another perception is that the Magnum is a very expensive car to buy in the league of Corolla and Civic. This is because of its size especially the wheel base which is identical to that of the Corolla and a clear 4" to 6" longer than others in it's price bracket. This coupled with the perception#2 above is a major reason that buyers negate it on paper itself. Hopefully this thread will alleviate that to some extent.

Anyhow those are my personal views.
Old 6th August 2011, 01:37   #668
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It still looks like how cars are supposed to look like.
Yes! Completely agree.

Magnum is sleek! in front of current generation design cars. The new gen feels heavy/muscular, though its the other way round when you drive it. Makes you think why do you need more air in the body panels , they are still cars.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:39   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Makes you think why do you need more air in the body panels , they are still cars.
Yes still cars literally, who with their puny engines need all the hot air to keep themselves afloat. Perceived F.E. 'ke liye kuch bhi karega'
Old 6th August 2011, 19:03   #670
BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, I feel the fact that the design is old is what works in its favour. It still looks like how cars are supposed to look like.
You got it bang on!

Quote:
Another perception is that the Magnum is a very expensive car to buy in the league of Corolla and Civic.

buyers negate it on paper itself.
I don't think they get even to the paper stage. Most don't seem to bother even considering it - forget about negating it on paper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
The new gen feels heavy/muscular, though its the other way round when you drive it.
One word - Botox
Not exactly muscular, just plastic surgery
Old 6th August 2011, 21:41   #671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I don't think they get even to the paper stage. Most don't seem to bother even considering it - forget about negating it on paper!
I guess it’s the manufacturer to blame here. I have not seen Chevrolet doing anything significant to promote the car. And if they are not confident, how the paying public will have the confidence to put in a sum of close to one million rupees?

Thanks to Poitive, otherwise even I was under the notion that Cruze has actually replaced Optra in India.
Old 6th August 2011, 21:48   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I guess it’s the manufacturer to blame here. I have not seen Chevrolet doing anything significant to promote the car. And if they are not confident, how the paying public will have the confidence to put in a sum of close to one million rupees?

Thanks to Poitive, otherwise even I was under the notion that Cruze has actually replaced Optra in India.
+1 to that. If not for poitive or this thread I would have had no idea on Optra when I started my car hunt. In Sundaram Motors Bangalore the Optra is not even on display when I went there.
Old 6th August 2011, 22:20   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess it’s the manufacturer to blame here. I have not seen Chevrolet doing anything significant to promote the car.
You are absolutely correct here. They are doing nothing to promote the car.
Basically, when the Optra was launched, it was in the same or higher price range - out of reach of most enthusiasts at that time. The image carried on and affected the decision making of many prospective buyers - it was in the class and range of the Civic, Corolla and such cars.
Even when the buying capacity increased, the image stuck and even today, hardly a few people even remember to put Optra on paper while making a decision. Today, if you ask anyone about a car upto 10L, it's the Vento, Fiesta, City or the Verna! The Cruze too goes beyond, so people do not even land up at the GM showroom.
Also, not all the buyers are well versed with the car specs and do not understand power or torque or wheel base for that matter and what matters is only the look or the gadgets, and definitely the FE (and that's what even the salesmen promote - they hardly talk about the specs).
Also, just imagine the conversation between the sales guy and a noob.

SG : This is the Optra. It has a Fixed Geometry Turbo Charged 2.0 L SOHC engine with intercooler, all independent McP suspension with a rear stabilizing bar.

Customer : .

SG : It is able to produce 320Nm torque and gives a power output of 121 bhp.

Customer : BHP kya hai? What is torque?

SG : Umm... (obviously he does not have the knowledge to explain what all this is)

Customer : Kitna deti hai?

SG : ARAI rated 17 kmpl. In city you will get around 12-14kmpl and about 16 on highways.

Customer : But the fiesta or the vento gives more.

SG : But these cars have smaller engine capacities, lesser torque, are lighter, and fall into a lower segment.

Customer : USB hai? Bluetooth hai? Butt wipe hai?

SG : No, but....

Customer : We will see about this later.. thanks!

In short, to understand what a gem the Optra is, you need to know about it beforehand.

Also, the drop in sales results in lesser interest in the sales people, which results in continued drops and the domino effect continues.

Only those who actually know the Optra purchase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
In Sundaram Motors Bangalore the Optra is not even on display when I went there.
Even I did not have a test drive vehicle when I went to buy mine. I had actually driven the Cruze. But I had info on the Optra and hence insisted on the Optra, got a test drive (from friends too) and then went ahead with it.

The best sales pitch for the Optra is the drive itself!
Old 7th August 2011, 00:40   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Customer : BHP kya hai? What is torque?
I think it is a rare occurrence. Most Indian customers are quite knowledgeable and BHP (if not torque) is always a consideration while buying a car.
But BHP is not everything. What matters is the torque curve across the RPM range. And that is something very few customers are aware about.

Indian customers are so much evolved that they want everything.
-More power with better FE
-More features but at less price
-Good space as well as boot
-Brand as well as A$$
BOTTOMLINE- There should not be any deal breaker
And that is where all rounders shine in the sales numbers. (Etios/City/Vento/Verna)

One mistake in the product and the sales will take a hit. Competition is fierce make no mistake about it.
Old 7th August 2011, 00:43   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
And that is where all rounders shine in the sales numbers. (Etios/City/Vento/Verna)
How does the Etios come in here?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks