Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 10:48   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Police fire after altercation with street stunt bikers in Delhi, one dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
If it was a sniper then even the 3" gap is enough to puncture the wheeling back wheel but there the sub inspector had only his service revolver so chances were large to miss the tire n hit the pillion.
Correct. reminds me of a decorated officer from WW-II (was given up for dead for almost a year) who later joined the police. Retired as DG-BSF. His wife challenged him that he cannot hit a bush with his pistol/ revolver, he tried and could not.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:16   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think they did fire in the air. If there is a mob who is attacking you in spite of firing in the air to warn them, what are the cops to assume?

I don't understand how people are condemning the polices action. Yes they are there to maintain law and order. But when people who think they are above the law, start attacking our law enforcement forces, are they supposed to sit there and watch? They fired shots in the air, and if in spite of that people continued pelting stones or whatever at them then they are justified in firing at the bike.

I don't think we have enough correct information to come to any conclusions. We do not even know whether the duo on the bike threw something at the cops and then tried to flee? That is another possibility.

I think the Police deserve the benefit of the doubt here. Yes, some may be corrupt, etc, but I don't think any one will really take out his gun and fire without enough provocation. The Police are not Salman Khan in some movie to indiscriminately fire at civilians.

I think in any other country if police is attacked I'm sure they will do the same thing which happened here.
The problem is not that "some are corrupt", its most of them. They ruin it for the few good ones out there. Yeah the bike guys seemed like total idiots for doing what they did (the drunkness, the rowdyness, the stunting and for not stopping when the police told them too), but if the pillion was shot in the back, that definetly means he was fleeing and not trying to provoke the police. Frankly, i have no respect for any police officers in India, i know i might seem like a bad person for saying this, but after seeing how they treat the citizens of India, i think i am justified in the way i feel.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:59   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi Traffic Police posted this on their FB page a few minutes ago...
Quote:
Many youth are observed indulging in doing stunts and acrobats on their bikes, especially in places falling in New Delhi District. Such acts of dangerous driving, aggressive stunts besides committing traffic violations not only endanger the life of the motorcyclists but also pose serious threat to the life and safety of other road users. These bikers intimidate and harass other motorists and pedestrians. Several cases of rioting, criminal assault have been registered and hundreds of challans have been issued during the last 2 months.

Such incidences of performing stunts by motorcycle riders and indulging in serious traffic violations are illegal and reprehensible. Delhi Police will initiate criminal action against any person indulging in such nuisance and aggressive behavior. Action shall also be taken against motorcycle riders indulging in traffic violations such as dangerous driving, over-speeding, riding without helmets, triple riding etc. The motorcycles and driving licenses of such riders shall be impounded, and the riders shall be arrested.

In case the riders are found under the influence of alcohol or in possession of weapons such as knives, “Nunchaku”, cycle chains etc., appropriate sections of law shall be added. Cases shall also be instituted against the registered owners of these vehicles and their liability shall be fixed for illegal use of their vehicles. Delhi Police appeals to the guardians and parents of these youth to rein in their wards in order to avoid injury and accidents.

In the coming days, the Delhi Police will ensure strict action against such motorcyclists/biker gangs who indulge in dangerous driving & stunts besides committing serious traffic violations. All motorcyclists and especially those of young age are advised to adhere to the traffic rules and regulations for their safety and for the safety of other road users.

(ANIL SHUKLA)
ADDL. COMMISSIONER OF POLICE:
TRAFFIC, DELHI
Link
Old 30th July 2013, 12:23   #169
Senior - BHPian

I guess where the Police failed is its inability to handle such situations. That is not surprising since this is Bharat mahaan. So, finally they handled it the way they could. Again this is nothing new to our country. We see problems with our system without any solutions existing. So everyone needs to be extra careful.
Old 30th July 2013, 12:38   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What next? All new car buyers who do triple digit TDs on the expressway should be shot dead as well? 1-2 ton vehicles are a greater nuisance at triple digit speeds, you know? All of us who drive at speeds above 100 should be shot dead too? Atleast 80% of travelogues or initial ownership reports even on a safety minded forum like TBHP have stories of folks regularly doing triple digit speeds on their cars that are patently illegal. Let's shoot those who do the saddlesore and the GQ runs too? Let's shoot dead someone who drives his car at 100 on the expressway and changes lanes quickly. Kill them. Every single one of them. Then when we are all dead, the streets would be safe, right?
If you decide to speed in your car, and then do donuts in the middle of a street, and then maybe hand brake turns. And then when the Police comes to stop you breaking the law, you decide to turn violent on them. Will it not cause the police to get agitated and consider you a threat? Or are you saying that the bikers were simply speeding, a 100 of them simply speeding, and then decided to test their aim out by throwing stones on the police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

I bet if at all some stone pelting was there it was done only AFTER the police shot the poor boy & then it would have not just been the bikers, but also angry locals.
So after someone pulls out a gun and fires, you think stones are a good way to fight back? Angry locals? In the middle of the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
THat is the very definition of a violent mob and if the cops dont know how to control it, then they dont know how to do police work
Pray, do tell, how are 3 police personnel supposed to control a violent mob of a 100+, that too attacking them?
Old 30th July 2013, 13:32   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Link
Sir what I am more interested in knowing is how seriously will Delhi Police implement this. Considering politically backed Kawars are entering Delhi and they do carry sticks, will this apply to them too or is rule only for areas under NDMC?

The unfortunate consequence of this entire episode is that the rule abiding biking groups would also come under the scanner. Should they not take to the streets condemning the actions of the stunt drivers so as to ensure folks don't paint all bike enthusiast groups as rash and lead by example to lay emphasis on safety and send a message of responsible riding to these brash kids?
Old 30th July 2013, 13:32   #172
BHPian

Quote:

Pray, do tell, how are 3 police personnel supposed to control a violent mob of a 100+, that too attacking them?
They could call for backup, instead of shooting the pillion rider.
Old 30th July 2013, 13:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

It seems you are not aware of the ground realities here in Delhi/NCR. And going by the logic I must say Bihar gets the police that it deserves (Bhagalpur) and then I can name quite a few all over including your own Pune.

Let us not digress or trivialise the issue. You have to see those rowdies on bikes to believe. They stop busy roads to get a clear stretch and perform their bizzare stunts. The traffic is jammed for hours. Anybody trying to plead to go, gets beaten up, bullied and their vehicles banged upon or windows smashed.

Now who gives them these rights? Someone somewhere might be having an emergency, but is stuck because these imbeciles are having fun. Do not defend the un-defendable.

I am not at all justifying the loss of life or the act of the policeman. But do not make any sweeping statements. There is an old saying - "spare the rod and spoil the child". We have stopped wielding the rod and now are suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Cities get the police they deserve.
Old 30th July 2013, 13:56   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Link
This is the right step and it should have been taken BEFORE.
However, if they enforce all that is said in that post even AFTER, maybe the life lost will not be in vain.

I think this tragedy will force the police to take some sustained action. And that probably will be the just worth of that young life.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:06   #175
BHPian

I am not sure why people seem to blame the police. Sometimes high handed action is needed to curb these types of menace so that others would not repeat the same. In Delhi during my visits , i have seen a lot of maniac bikers which in general would be visible so much in say places like Chennai or at-least not in key areas which everyone uses and this incident happened in parliament road. I had always wondered why the Delhi Police never took strong actions to curb the menace.

Prima facie in this incident,

a) There were 100 bikers vs 3 police officers.
b) When the police tried to arrest them , they indulged in aggressive actions which could cause bodily harm to the police officers.
c) The Police fired warning shots.
d) The Bikers were drunk and did not pay any heed to the warnings.
f) Bikers then tried to flee the scene, possibly even stone pelting while fleeing.

What does one except the police to do. Sit back, watch, have popcorn and hope/pray for the best?

In my books this is pure case of self defense by the police and the police should be commended for their actions and the vast majority of public would agree with police actions.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 30th July 2013 at 14:09.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:06   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Someone somewhere might be having an emergency, but is stuck because these imbeciles are having fun.

Back in Kolkata, people regularly die in ambulances and taxis because some political party (or not) is protesting something of their interest and blocking roads and trains for the general public.

I have not ever read a newspaper report where someone suffered a similar fate in Delhi because of biker gangs blocking roads.
Can be my ignorance, and I don't live in Delhi - so I wouldn't know for sure.

But, still - I have heard about almost all other bad things happening in Delhi.

Can someone post a reference where such an incident was reported.
Old 30th July 2013, 14:37   #177
BHPian

Quote:
And what about those over speeding their cars,driving rashly, driving under the influence of alcohol?
Its really SAD to see youths roaming freely in cars consuming alcohol. It is a developing trend i see.

Delhi police ensure to check BIKERS at every check post but what about the CARS?
Delhi Police would implement the same for the Car Drivers till someone attacks them with stones/or any other thing that qualifies as a weapon?
Old 30th July 2013, 16:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Prima facie in this incident,

a) There were 100 bikers vs 3 police officers.
b) When the police tried to arrest them , they indulged in aggressive actions which could cause bodily harm to the police officers.
c) The Police fired warning shots.
d) The Bikers were drunk and did not pay any heed to the warnings.
f) Bikers then tried to flee the scene, possibly even stone pelting while fleeing.
There is no evidence to back any of the above, except d. All are just police accounts.

Quote:

Original report and many after that claimed 30 to 40 bikers. Have they multiplied since then to reach 100??

If the police is not able to give even a rough ballpark figure of how many bikers were there, then that itself speaks volumes about how inept they were in assessing the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
This happened today in the early hours.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:06   #179
Senior - BHPian

I'd say kill some and then kill some more. The cops might be good for nothing but what good are these hooligans? What good is a person who drinks and then is off on his bike to tease women and couples. I can't imagine that he'd be contributing anything constructive to the society, good riddance I'd say!

I feel bad for his parents but even a gangster's mother would try to save her child if she could, that's how parents are and a kids loss can never be easily accepted by any parent.

The reality is that the cops are corrupt, judiciary system only favours the rich and hooliganism/rapes/eve-teasing is only climbing higher on charts. What can possibly be in favour of a regular selfish honest guy who cares for himself and his family -

(a) A dead dishonest cop
or
(b) A dead hooligan

My choice - Either (a) or (b)

Sorry that somebody lost their loved one but if my loved one was eve-teasing women and harassing couples, I'd say kill them because that kind of scum doesn't deserve anything less than death.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:39   #180
Senior - BHPian

The other funny part is that everyone is painting Delhi as a city held hostage by rowdy bikers and the rule of law has broken down. Funny - I thought this kinda mess happened only at late nights at areas around Bangla Sahib.

This thread has become a complete joke with so many folks blowing up their stray incidents of rowdyism like there's no tomorrow. Kiran bedi said on one link that the 125cc bike was doing 150 kph with pillion - LOLmax we have reached. This thread has reached a point of no return/no logic itself!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks