Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2005, 23:57   #31
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
SMG mentioned that he read (on a Palio forum), someone mentioning that the NHC was beaten by a hill. God knows how many such insane stories have been written on other forums but, do you see a drop in NHC sales? Bottom line is that people don't care, if you say a car is bad, he'l test drive it for himself and then decide.

Shan2nu
That is my point too. .

My attitude is always welcoming, I am making an investment of 700K+ so I must check each and every such aspect before signing on a dotted line.

When I saw that post (NHC) on PalioUsers group on yahoo. I asked here , whether any body also expreinced the same. In that thread of mine, I also mentioned that I am not going to reject a car just because of a single isolated negetive feedback, further, I also said that I know what I want and I will take my own focused test ride and check those aspect and decide (and if requried I will have more than one test rides in the process) .

An IT guy in late twenties (just returned from a US assignment) earning handsum salary in tune of 800K+, has some 35+ years of active life (read: money making) in front of him and will not necessarily stick to one car throught those 35+ years. He would be having sufficeint opportunities both time and money wise, to correct any mistake if any.
Old 4th June 2005, 00:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Can you give us some examples of biased comments made by our members. I'd like to see those statements, that made you think so.
Shan2nu
the reason i did not want to provide a link along with my earlier post was that it might be perceived as my getting personal.

but since you have asked...here are two recent links.

Link 1
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...1&page=5&pp=15

Link 2
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5873

these are just the most recent ones. you will note that both are uncalled for, in the sense, to me, they are out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG
If that is the case then that concerned buyer should welcome each and every input that is flowing in. Given a particular car, 10 different opinions are possible depending on the way one looks at that car.

If my intension is sell that car within 3 years then I would be more concerned about its 'Resale value', and if I want to keep that car for more than 5 years then 'After sales support' , 'Spare parts cost' etc will influence my decison.

If I am a family person then I would pay attension to Safty features, rear seat comfort rather than BHP and 0-100 benchmarks.

If I want it for week end trips, highway driving then I would be checking some different aspects.

It is up to the buyer to decide his/her priorities and weigh each such input accordingly. By expressing opinios nobody is forcing taht concerned buyer to buy or reject a car. If one doesn't like that, then s/he should be better off with the sales talk offered at a car dealership.
precisely my point. it is just because a newbie with precious little knowledge would probably not want to trust the dealer entirely and might want advise from this forum. he may not be able to make the above rationalisations you have made with respect to his car purchase. so he is looking for objective pros and cons for a given model. as you yourself have stated, there are inputs on tens of cars. why complicate his life by adding our random opinions, often unjustified? when someone asks for advise we ought to give advise if we can do so. opinion is very different from advise and does not help. opinions can be expressed in "which car do you hate/love" threads. we can bash any car maker as much as we want in those threads. thats precisely what those threads are for, so that the more important threads retain their perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRFOIL
This really isnt a matter of bias - it is simply a case of several individuals voicing their own, individual opinions.
true airfoil. i am not against people expressing opinions. i believe in the value of democracy in a public forum. i am just uncomfortable when opinions are offered in guise of advise and worse, the possibility that the person seeking the advise mistakes the opinion for advise and takes it in good faith as such.

i wish to STRESS here that i do not even own a car. obviously, i am not partial to any particular car maker. But I did vote that FIAT will turn around and not shut down in the poll. just to let people know that there is no hidden agenda here.

I signed up on team-bhp on the basis of the content. i found it useful. i just expressed a concern that in the name of democratic posting, the credibility and usefulness of this forum does not suffer.

Last edited by hell_rider : 4th June 2005 at 00:44.
Old 4th June 2005, 11:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

well,
been reading all the posts and come down to the basics...
this forum has not been started as a troubleshooting guide for people or as a referral point...as the prime reason.
this is a place where people can talk freely and express their views about things they wanna talk about need not be cars only...we discuss mp3 players, phones...places to hang out etc. it is where we have a right to put up something what we have experienced or felt strongly about!!!
there are forums in india itself which literally rip apart manufacturers and dealers!!!
see what is right is right and what is wrong is wrong...if i have to think twice before posting on this forum..why should i waste my time.
on this forum i have made friends who bring out the total change in ones frame of mind:
for example i use to think very lowly of these cars:
1. AMBASSADOR but then RUDRAji totally floored me.
2. CONTESSA but then u have one drink with PSYCHO and see...
3. TATA...wait till you chat with STRATOS
the list goes on...
this forum is for people who want to talk about something they love and they wanna talk about it without any restrictions...
if a newbie wants advice remember he expects advice from around 1500+ members there is no chance that he is going to get one answer from all.
what a newbie can do is...look at the replies and decide which member he thinks is close enough to his requiremnets and pm him...simple.
i get pm's like those often for any queris regarding a baleno!!!

ooops...i forgot to mention shantanu and his VTEC
Old 4th June 2005, 22:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

WHAT?!?! You thought lowly of the VTEC??? :WTF:
Old 4th June 2005, 22:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Who's reply did you find bais?

Same question again!!!

Shan2nu
Old 5th June 2005, 10:53   #36
BHPian

disclaimer: The views expressed below are mine and mine alone. they may be flawed and twisted and "bangled" beyond logic, but they are mine!!!

Every car is meant for a different application. EG - NHC is meant to ease tension in city traffic, Forrester is for someone who does not want to differentiate between dirt and road. Scorpio is NOT meant for high speed antics. Accent is an excellent VFM trouble free package intended for one who is not an illogical car fanatic

But how many of us give our views considering the application for which the car is intended.

And how many of our opinions are based on actual experience and not heresay? Just because ACI or Overdrive write something does not mean its the TRUTH. For the sake of an example, without getting personal, consider a poll a between Audi/ BMW/ Merc, how many have actually driven these cars before voting. I havent!!!! My views are entirely based on what I read in Autocar and BS Motoring.

I used to biased against Optra's till I drove Rudra's....
Old 5th June 2005, 11:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Well said, Rahul. You've hit the nail right on the head by describing the problem and identifying the trigger...
Old 5th June 2005, 19:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the sake of an example, without getting personal, consider a poll a between Audi/ BMW/ Merc, how many have actually driven these cars before voting. I havent!!!! My views are entirely based on what I read in Autocar and BS Motoring
Yeah, so there's nothing bias about team-bhp.

Quote:
But how many of us give our views considering the application for which the car is intended.
Nobody does, not me, you, OD, ACI, Top Gear or any other form of automotive website/tv programme/magazine. A person looking for VFM tries to seek the same in every car he sees, a person interested in performance expects good handling and acceleration.

People look at the CR-V and go "That's no good for offroading" when Honda clearly mentions that it's an urban soft roader.

Mahindra compares the Scorpio to the Accent and NHC (which are bought for a completely diff purpose).

That's how it's been working all this while.

I really fail to understand the reason behind this "Bias" theory.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 5th June 2005 at 19:11.
Old 6th June 2005, 08:54   #39
BHPian

My $0.02

There is nothing wrong in posting an opinion. What has been seen that for any car, especially in what car segment you always get differing views, but a person buying a car can get a good comprehensive view of the car(s) in question. After this it is for the person to appply common sense and buy a vehicle of choice, you can't put the decision down his/her throat. You can give cues, not make a decision for the person - and this suits absolutely fine. Also if anybody buying a car is able to articulate his needs well, he geta a good answer.

The only slightest bias has been seen where people refer to FIAT (yet again!!) without thinking about practicality, but at the same time this is not there in What Car section.

I believe that only if you read too much into the posts, without applying enough thought will you feel there is something fishy!! Else in this forum which is moderated any such idea to promote a car gets shot down well.

So be at peace, and apply your own sense, fit the members' views into your needs and then you would have made a good decision. If you can't do this task then you would anyways have made a wrong decision by listening to salesman from dealerships and you deserve that!!

~maniac
Old 6th June 2005, 11:36   #40
BHPian

ive been reading all the posts on this topic to see if there was any relevence to this whole topic...dint find any, we are supposed to be discussing cars, engines speed and all the fun stuff....either the dude who started this post doesnot have a car or he is not spending enough time TWEEKING it...that will make you post more interesting or relevent topics...
Old 6th June 2005, 11:49   #41
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops
ive been reading all the posts on this topic to see if there was any relevence to this whole topic...dint find any, we are supposed to be discussing cars, engines speed and all the fun stuff....either the dude who started this post doesnot have a car or he is not spending enough time TWEEKING it...that will make you post more interesting or relevent topics...
Good! Then why don't you start a new thread to discuss cars, engines speed and all the fun stuff?
Old 6th June 2005, 12:07   #42
BHPian

thats exactly what we were doing before all this started!!! :-)
Old 6th June 2005, 12:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ive been reading all the posts on this topic to see if there was any relevence to this whole topic...dint find any, we are supposed to be discussing cars, engines speed and all the fun stuff
How can we discuss cars and engine speed on a thread titled Unintentional bias on this forum? which is posted in the shifting gear section (designed for discussing topics other than cars).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 6th June 2005 at 12:32.
Old 6th June 2005, 12:33   #44
BHPian

what i ment was discussing car stuff was the purpose of this forum in general.....i dint mean this thread...

Last edited by anoops : 6th June 2005 at 12:46.
Old 6th June 2005, 17:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

uh oh.......here we go......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks