Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 16:26   #1
BHPian

Low Intensity Blast in Bangalore

There has been a low intensity blast near chinnaswamy stadium, more info awaited, please be careful whoever is going to watch the game today
Old 17th April 2010, 16:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

I tried reaching a friend who was supposed to go for the match. His phone is not reachable :-(
Old 17th April 2010, 16:54   #3
BANNED

^^^ Wireless frequencies are all Jammed here as a precautionary measure. At present 2 blast are reported.
Old 17th April 2010, 17:34   #4
BHPian

The police have found another bomb near the Anil Kumble Circle, close to the stadium and The second explosive was hidden in a bush near the stadium according to rediff.com

http://news.rediff.com/news/live-commtry.html

Last edited by sajands : 17th April 2010 at 17:35. Reason: forgot to add the web link
Old 17th April 2010, 18:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

My friend and team bhpian funkykar, was 2 meters away from the blast site! He just missed getting hurt. He is happily watching the match now.
Old 17th April 2010, 18:18   #6
BHPian

Kudos to Bangalore police for getting the situation back to normal so soon. It is no mean feat to comb the whole area and declare it fit for the game so soon when there are so many civilians and international players involved.
Old 17th April 2010, 21:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
My friend and team bhpian funkykar, was 2 meters away from the blast site! He just missed getting hurt. He is happily watching the match now.
Phew! Missed by a whisker. I just got in the gate and the blast happened. It was pretty loud and I knew straight away it was a bomb even though some were speculating it to be a generator blast. The air was full of dust and dry leaves for a few seconds. The police, security and stadium officials were quick in closing the main entrance. The stadium officials also spontaneously let the people in the ticket checking area into the stadium. I am sure there was a lot of panic outside. Sorry for those who were injured. If any general public were injured, very much possible that the people behind me in queue were injured. As far as I know I was the last or one of the last to enter the stadium during that time.

To be precise, I missed it by 3 seconds!!!
Old 17th April 2010, 22:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Folks, just returned from stadium, security normal, even after that blast. There were no extra security checks!!
Old 18th April 2010, 15:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Kudos to Bangalore police for getting the situation back to normal so soon. It is no mean feat to comb the whole area and declare it fit for the game so soon when there are so many civilians and international players involved.
Is it? Their so called combing seemed futile, today they found more explosives!

The police were poking around the suspicious objects with sticks and their bare hands and the dogs looked uninterested(are these really dogs trained to sniff explosives?).

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 18th April 2010 at 15:53.
Old 18th April 2010, 16:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

What seemed a commendable job by police yesterday, doesnt seem so. Even after a combing operation yesterday after the blast, they missed some bombs. Some were timered to explode after the match at 8PM. How come it took so much time to find the remaining?

Semis will not happen in Bangalore, I feel so.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:28   #11
BHPian

I still think Bangalore Police did a good job.

It is very easy to sit in the comforts of an AC room/office and say they could have done better. They have their own practical constraints and limitations. Given those constraints and limitations, I believe - even having the match (just delayed by 1 hour) is a great effort.

I am sure, if you/me were the person in-charge and responsible for the life of 1000s, the easier/safer way out would be to call off the match as a precautionary measure. What if another blast had happened inside the stadium during the match and a few people had died! Who would take the blame. If you/me were the person taking the decision, could we take such a bold decision? I don't think so.

you might have a different opinion, I have the right to my opinion, and I think the Bangalore Police did a great job.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I still think Bangalore Police did a good job.

It is very easy to sit in the comforts of an AC room/office and say they could have done better. They have their own practical constraints and limitations. Given those constraints and limitations, I believe - even having the match (just delayed by 1 hour) is a great effort.

I am sure, if you/me were the person in-charge and responsible for the life of 1000s, the easier/safer way out would be to call off the match as a precautionary measure. What if another blast had happened inside the stadium during the match and a few people had died! Who would take the blame. If you/me were the person taking the decision, could we take such a bold decision? I don't think so.

you might have a different opinion, I have the right to my opinion, and I think the Bangalore Police did a great job.
I completely agree with you buddy, It's a slap in the face to the concerned terrorist groups that in spite of their efforts, the match went on(i didn't go to see it, but nonetheless)
But just in case nobody knows, both the semi's have been shifted to mumbai
I found out only after i bought tickets after waiting all morning
Old 18th April 2010, 18:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

The match was not cancelled. This proves that Bangalore Police was confident of safety of all the spectators.

But the semis have been shifted to Mumbai. This is not a good news.
Old 18th April 2010, 18:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

In a predictable move, the IPL semi finals have been moved to Mumbai.

For more information, click below.

IPL semi-finals moved to Mumbai | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2010 | Cricinfo.com
Old 18th April 2010, 19:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The match was not cancelled. This proves that Bangalore Police was confident of safety of all the spectators.

But the semis have been shifted to Mumbai. This is not a good news.
There was some news that IPL committee pressurised the cops not to abandon the match. So much for the safety of the citizens!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks