Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 268 62.62%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.07%
Apple iPad 9 2.10%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.44%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.40%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:41   #1021
BHPian

Can anybody in the media/advertising/PR fields recommend a solid text on propaganda /advertising /communication etc.

No conspiracy theory type books please.

Someone recommended me Walter Lippmans book from 1930s.

There has to be a modern day text/reference work that draws from all the classical works.
Old 4th February 2016, 00:45   #1022
Team-BHP Support

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
haha great ....once u get use to listening its a different ball game. My wife says how can you listen to a book being read and i say the other way around .
If you have not listened, here is must get list for you:

- All the PG Wodehouse series narrated by Martin Jarvis (One of the best guys in the game)
- All the Gerald Durrell Series Narrated by Nigel Davenport
- A must have is Three men in a boat narrated by Martin Jarvis.

The humor is so good that you will would love to get lost in traffic all over again!
Old 19th February 2016, 23:00   #1023
BHPian

Re: Medical Thrillers?

Any recent good 'medical thriller' fiction?

I heard of 'Robin Cook' is the one who writes fiction around medical science. What would be his best book to read? Are there any other authors in this genre?

Last edited by JMaruru : 19th February 2016 at 23:10.
Old 19th February 2016, 23:37   #1024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I heard of 'Robin Cook' is the one who writes fiction around medical science. What would be his best book to read? Are there any other authors in this genre?
In the mid-80's I remember watching movies based on two of Robin Cook's novels - Coma & Sphinx - both written in the 70's.

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of his novels but Coma has consistently been rated one of his favourite reads.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:10   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Robin Cook's books are good time pass. But the more recent ones are no where close to his initial books. Coma, Brain, Fever are probably his most popular books. He also had around 10 books based on 2 central doctor characters. Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. Those were mostly nice reads. His most recent one ( which I read couple of weeks back) is called Host. Not to great.

I also like James Rollins. Although not medical thrillers. More a combination of science,medicine genetics and history.

Ken Follets , The Third twin is again medicine and genetics.

An old book. But Arthur Hailey's ' Final Diagnosis' is a hospital, medical masterpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- All the Gerald Durrell Series Narrated by Nigel Davenport
- A must have is Three men in a boat narrated by Martin Jarvis.

The humor is so good that you will would love to get lost in traffic all over again!
Where do I get audio books from? Searched online, but got confused on what I should be looking for. Have never tried audio books, bit sounds like a good option during my office commute. Gerald Durrels ' Rosy is my relative' is one of the most hilarious books I have read. Sounds like it will be funnier when narrated by an expert.

Edit: Update on the latest books I picked up. Came across an author I have not read before. Marcus Sakey. Just read one book called 'Brilliance'. Liked it. It is part of a trilogy. Reading the 2nd one now.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th February 2016 at 12:24.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:18   #1026
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
In the mid-80's I remember watching movies based on two of Robin Cook's novels - Coma & Sphinx - both written in the 70's.

Unfortunately, I haven't read any of his novels but Coma has consistently been rated one of his favourite reads.
Robin Cook is the most famous and popular in this genre. However, Michael Palmer and Tess Gerritsen also writes good medical thrillers.

Coma, Brain, Mindbend, Chromosome 6, Vector are some of the best ones from Cook. His novel Foreign Body is based in India and medical tourism. Though, I personally found the book tepid and unexciting.

You can also try Side Effects and Extreme Measures by Michael Palmer and Harvest and Bloodstream from Tess Gerritsen.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:47   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Robin Cook's books are good time pass. But the more recent ones are no where close to his initial books. Coma, Brain, Fever are probably his most popular books. He also had around 10 books based on 2 central doctor characters. Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. Those were mostly nice reads. His most recent one ( which I read couple of weeks back) is called Host. Not to great.

I also like James Rollins. Although not medical thrillers. More a combination of science,medicine genetics and history.

Ken Follets , The Third twin is again medicine and genetics.

An old book. But Arthur Hailey's ' Final Diagnosis' is a hospital, medical masterpiece.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Robin Cook is the most famous and popular in this genre. However, Michael Palmer and Tess Gerritsen also writes good medical thrillers.

Coma, Brain, Mindbend, Chromosome 6, Vector are some of the best ones from Cook. His novel Foreign Body is based in India and medical tourism. Though, I personally found the book tepid and unexciting.

You can also try Side Effects and Extreme Measures by Michael Palmer and Harvest and Bloodstream from Tess Gerritsen.
Thanks!

How is 'Alexandra Destephano' series from Judith Lucci? She has good rating on goodreads for her 'Viral Intent' novel.
Old 20th February 2016, 14:58   #1028
BHPian

Sidney Sheldon, Jeffery Archaer and Robert Ludlum are the best. I have read Master of the Game and this is the best novel ever written. You cant stop turning the pages.
Old 20th February 2016, 15:30   #1029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where do I get audio books from? Searched online, but got confused on what I should be looking for. Have never tried audio books, bit sounds like a good option during my office commute. Gerald Durrels ' Rosy is my relative' is one of the most hilarious books I have read. Sounds like it will be funnier when narrated by an expert.
This is where you buy audio books: http://www.audible.com/

(Audible is an Amazon company)

These are the ones you have to buy:
- Three Men in a Boat (Narrated by Martin Jarvis) Link

- With regards to Gerald Durrell: "My Family and Other Animals" is the best one. But somehow I see many of the titles not available in Audible. 4-5 years back they were when I bought (Esp the ones Narrated By Nigel Davenport).

- Instead try PG Wodehouse Jeeves series again narrated by Martin Jarvis.

Quote:
Robin Cook's books are good time pass. But the more recent ones are no where close to his initial books. Coma, Brain, Fever are probably his most popular books.
Yes Coma, Fever and Sphinx are the good ones. Remember reading really long time back! Brought back lots of memories.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2016 at 12:08. Reason: Fixed Typo
Old 20th February 2016, 15:56   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is where you buy audio books: http://www.audible.com/

(Audble is an Amazon company)

These are the ones you have to buy:
- Three Men in a Boat (Narrated by Martin Jarvis) Link

Thanks ampere. Did not know audible was an Amazon company.

Noticed that this particular audible is ~$19. Are audibles typically this expensive?
Old 20th February 2016, 16:42   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Noticed that this particular audible is ~$19. Are audibles typically this expensive?
Yes Books are expensive. But if you become regular member you get credits per month. For example for a platinum membership @ 22$/month, you get 2 credits. And you can pick up one book per credit. Then the price of the book does not matter. Say you pick two books 30$ each. You get two books worth 60$. But since you have a membership you get them at 22. I use a platinum membership for the last 5-6 years now I think (Dont even remember when I got into it. Its been that long! In fact I got in when they were not an Amazon company).

You can down load the books to iphone/Android/Windows phone as well many other portable devices.
Old 22nd February 2016, 02:35   #1032
P21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there an age to start reading books. I often wonder......followed by James Clavell's Shogun, which just blew my mind. After that there was no looking back, I have been reading ever since.
Hello Samurai,

Thats a great list you have completed. I live in Mysore, and I am an avid fan of Mr. S L Bhyrappa.

I have completed reading below works from the author

1. Aavarana
2. Doora Saridaru
3. Vamshavruksha
4. Naayi neralu
5. Mandra - Author is awarded Saraswathi Samman for this
6. Parva - Reading in process

Suggest me some works of Poorna Chandra Thejaswi, I will take it up for reading after Parva.

Regards,
P21

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd February 2016 at 05:20. Reason: Please refrain from quoting entire large quotes, it inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:02   #1033
BHPian

I am trying to develop the habit of reading atleast a few pages everyday. Currently reading Forsyth's "The Devil's Alternative". It is set during the cold war times. The confrontations and negotiations between the US and the erstwhile USSR. Quite gripping. Forsyth is good as usual.
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:18   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
I am trying to develop the habit of reading atleast a few pages everyday. Currently reading Forsyth's "The Devil's Alternative". It is set during the cold war times. The confrontations and negotiations between the US and the erstwhile USSR. Quite gripping. Forsyth is good as usual.

You're off to a good start. This gets pretty engaging in the first 50 pages.
And I would suggest you try the rest of his original works after this.
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:36   #1035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Suggest me some works of Poorna Chandra Thejaswi, I will take it up for reading after Parva.
I think I only read Karvalo and Tabarana kathe. Highly recommend the former which runs like a thriller, latter is depressing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks