Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2005, 04:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hertz Dieci Speakers

Post edited : Please do not post your wares on this board

Last edited by gunbir : 17th September 2005 at 04:41.
Old 17th September 2005, 10:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

hey gunbir, dont take what i am gonna say with too much importance. I am rarely satisfied.

Love some of the features what i would love to see....

1. making the NdFeB magnet the shape of the phase plug or house the magnet inside a phase plug. This is if your woofer magnet is NDFeB. Tweeter NDfeB magnets are so small that they fit inside the voice coil. Also I would prefer a textile dome tweeter. mylar has some breakup modes that have to be filtered.

2. offering tweeters with and WITHOUT ferrofluid damping. While Ferrofluid does enhance the power handling of the tweeter (and damping the impedance peak of the voice coil) it does rob the HF of some of the "MICRO-DYNAMICS". When I was in Videbaek we did some tests comparig the effects of ferro fluid and found that a tweeter can be desinged without ferro fluid and still haivng suffciently high power handling etca lot of this unfortunately is protected by an Non Disclosure Agreement.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2005 at 10:16.
Old 17th September 2005, 10:17   #3
BHPian

Two crossovers

Hy Gunbir,.

Why are there two crossovers. One hpf and other LPF??
Old 17th September 2005, 10:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

yeah it says so on the XO? now both XOs could be in one box but hvagin 2 XOs allows one to tuck them away in corners. there is one more advatage to this but i dont think Hertz has thought of it...gunbir/JB can you guess?
Old 17th September 2005, 11:59   #5
BHPian

BI-AMPING if you can afford to
Old 17th September 2005, 12:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Bi amping? Bimaping is putting an XO before the amp not after! these are passive XOs. also an amps input impedance is 10Kohms while a speaker's impedance is 4 ohms so the same XO wont work.

nope one reason i do this is to prevent the inductors from affecting each other. you see the 6db woofer crossover likely has a large inductor. the 12db tweeter XO also has an inductor. with 2 inductors close to each other one will "feed" the other.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2005 at 12:09.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

BTW gunbir, I would put this post in Marketplace as there it will be noticed by people who are in the market for stuff.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

basic article on XOs http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html
and a discussion of the above mentioned phenomenon http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=6005

as you can see putting inductors 3" apart and right angles to each other is diffcult in a car XO.

some people call it crosstalk but i find that if you model it mathematically it is different from traditional crosstalk.

Last edited by navin : 17th September 2005 at 12:25.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Navin you mean to say active systems....yes you do that...but even in passive systems you do bi-amp the speakers...How do you do that in home audio??? In home audio lot of people biamp the speakers using two power amplifers.

You are right about the inductors cross talks. But it will be noticable in poorly designed crossover with bad quality components sharing a common PCB and running off a very powerful amp.

You will hardly notice that in speakers running off a Head Unit 22 watts or a Sony amp. For what the Diechi speakers are actually meant for.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

dude we got some communication breakdown happening.

what i meant was the above pictured XOs cannot be used for Biamping. see post 4, 5 and 6.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Navin Sir, just for the sake of this discussion, you can Bi-Amp these speakers. You could have one amp powering the tweeter through the HF XO and another powering the mid through the LF XO. Thats Bi-Amping...
Old 17th September 2005, 12:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

that is biamping but not efficient. the poor tweter amp has to deal with the whole freq. range when it really only need to deal with about 10-15% of the energy spectrum.
Old 17th September 2005, 12:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
that is biamping but not efficient. the poor tweter amp has to deal with the whole freq. range when it really only need to deal with about 10-15% of the energy spectrum.
Yes, I agree passive bi-amping is not efficient. I also think its a waste of the additional amp. Like I said, just for the sake of discussion...
Old 17th September 2005, 12:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, the reason we use a passive crossover is mostly because a single channel carries both the lows and highs and need to be seperated from that singular channel.

If i had a seperate amp to run my tweeters and another to run my mids... then why would I need a passive crossover for my tweeter? I like as few components between my speakers and my amps and as little wire as possible!

I can use the HPFs on my amp!
Old 17th September 2005, 12:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

yup. use the HPFs (if they go high enough) and loose the XO that is what i do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks