Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 22:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Newbie driver crashes into my parked car - Spins it 45 degrees!

Don't look at future loss of NCB as if its something huge.

If your next car is something under 7 lakhs OTR, you are looking at a loss of under 8,000 for first year. This too will be diminishing over the consecutive years.

The guy who crashed into the car has been a perfect Gentleman so far.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 23:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

The only negative I see here is the car being repaired at ABT rather than at MSM.
Old 19th January 2015, 01:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

My car was involved in a hit-and-run incident a few years ago. The entire driver's side bore the brunt and it set me back a hefty 40k. However, the car did not feel the same after the repairs and that's because the surveyor failed to inspect the car thoroughly. As it turns out, a few suspension components had to be replaced. I'd suggest you get the car's suspension checked ASAP.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 08:26   #19
J.Ravi

Sad to hear the mishap on Pongal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
he himself came very early in the morning (even before anyone in our family came out of the home to see the horror) to apologize and accepted to bear the cost of the repair.
Quote:
He even offered to pay me some amount in advance, if needed, which I have refused now.
Every cloud has a silver lining. The mishap was caused by a perfect gentleman. It is very rare to come across such a nice person. Hit-and-run has become the rule rather than the exception nowadays.
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 10:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

I looked at the pictures again and again but could not understand how and where he hit your car. The damages seems to be from the compound wall only.

Overall, this is considerable amount of damage but not very serious. I think you took the right approach.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 11:06   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I looked at the pictures again and again but could not understand how and where he hit your car. The damages seems to be from the compound wall only.
Look at the left rear part around the wheel arch for the dent which was due to contact from the Accent.

Yes, the tree did the major damage to the right hand side. The only good thing the doors are spared from the tree else the estimate would have been higher.
Old 19th January 2015, 12:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Can I ask a couple of questions please.

1. The "gentleman" may not have a driving license so was he really being a gentleman or simply trying to avoid police inquiry?

2. While the OP is telling the insurance company that its a hit and run but in fact its not. The "gentleman" may well be driving without license and I'm not sure what the legalities about the paperwork are but he doesn't even own the car as yet, is that true? If the OP was to tell the complete story then would it put this guy in trouble?

3. Why should the OP's insurance company bear this loss when ideally the other guy's insurance company (if that's feasible) should pay or he himself should pay out of his pocket?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 12:25   #23
BHPian

Guys,
Sorry for not posting any reply here. I'm totally tied up currently on certain personal stuff - along with this issue too. Will post a reply by evening.

Thanks for your understanding!
Old 19th January 2015, 12:27   #24
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the unintended accident hit to your car.
You have handled the situation maturely rather than get worked up about NCB and few things that do not matter. Any possession will have an inherent risk , like my new i10 has been key scratched twice while it was parked in the society.
It helps to focus on the positives:
1. The person has made a genuine effort to make good your loss - which is more than can be said about 99.9% of us.
2. Thank your blessings that there was no physical casualty.

My advice is that you move on and do not lose sleep over this accident. Soon you will get a bigger car with your hard work.

Cheers and peace be with you.
NYMEX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 13:14   #25
BHPian

Very sad incident, hopefully all will be sorted out.

Would like to see the effect on the Accent, any pictures of that ?
Old 19th January 2015, 13:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The 'Pongal' (Makar Sankranti) day this year started with a bang!! I mean, literally.
I wanted to check if concealment of information to the insurance company is illegal.

You very well knew the person who had damaged the car and isn't his insurer responsible to settle the bills for your damage either in part or full?

What you did is right but get yourself into trouble.

Would suggest you to take down the thread.
Old 19th January 2015, 13:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1. The "gentleman" may not have a driving license so was he really being a gentleman or simply trying to avoid police inquiry?

2. While the OP is telling the insurance company that its a hit and run but in fact its not. The "gentleman" may well be driving without license and I'm not sure what the legalities about the paperwork are but he doesn't even own the car as yet, is that true? If the OP was to tell the complete story then would it put this guy in trouble?
In addition, there was an eye witness.

Quote:
he has given his number to one of our neighbor who was awake at that point in time asking them to pass it over to us.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
In addition, there was an eye witness.
I think I'm going against the tide here but this whole thing feels totally wrong.

Because the paperwork was in progress, because the gentleman might not even have a driving license in the first place, because there was an eye-witness....

Just because insurance companies are meant to pay for damages doesn't mean they should be taken for granted to pay even when they shouldn't have to.

I might have missed something and would be glad to get educated but if that isn't the case then why would this wrong-doing be supported by all, including Mods!

Bhpians driving with black films or fancy number plates are frowned upon and would become a punching bag if they were to divulge similar details but a false insurance claim is more than welcome, why the double standards?

Would we welcome the claim even if we were holding stake in the company that is ownering the claim?
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 14:27   #29
BHPian

Firstly,

It is nice of the old gentleman to admit his mistake. Not many would have - they would have simply gone on.

Secondly,

Is YOUR insurance company liable to pay? NO! It is the insurance company of the man in question which is liable to pay. Ripping off the insurance company is probably not the best of ideas - it will delay the procedure for those claimants who are genuinely aggrieved.

If the old man did not have insurance, then he is at fault and should pay from his own pocket (which I understand he is willing to do). It is unfortunate and it is genuinely nice of the guy to own up.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:41   #30
BHPian

Its an unfortunate incident.We have here a situation where we have the cause,the effect, the car responsible, the car which bore the brunt,and the person who positively gave himself in (although his intentions can still be speculated); which sums up all the characters in this scenario.

The likely outcomes can be, either you can launch a third-party claim and obtain the necessary documents by making a full fledged police complaint or you can launch an own damage insurance claim and pay for the expenses yourself (ie,with the person compensating you the charges).

Claiming insurance seems to be a better option to me since it can amicably settle the matter with you getting your peace of mind and running into less mental hassles, since the person is ready to compensate you for the damage.A mention about compensating the NCB can me made and it is totally upto you how you wish to get a 'fair' amount for the NCB losses.

A similar incident happened with my Uncle's brand new 3 day old Swift Dzire, although the nature of damages to your alto seem far greater than what was there on my Uncle's Dzire.The Dzire was hit by a Swift when the Dzire was parked in the afternoon.A bunch of boys (staying in the same colony)going for a joyride rammed into the rear of the Dzire thus damaging the rear-right portion of the bumper.The boys were courteous enough to acknowledge the damage and pay for it.My uncle wanted to settle the matter without claiming insurance and told the boys to pay the entire amount which they were reluctant about.We eventually settled the matter by claiming insurance( the boys compensating us) and we asked for the amount that we will lose on our next year's NCB ,and the boys agreed to it.The car was taken to Maruti A.S.S and was repaired within 10 days.

Last edited by dreamliner17 : 19th January 2015 at 14:46. Reason: typing errors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks