Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 13:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Huh??? The car definitely was not 'allowed' on the footpath. But it did manage to have a peek into the footpath and snub out 4 lives, didnt it?

In India its too late to have joggers tracks and cycling tracks in the developed townships. Instead they should
1) raise the height of the footpaths to at least 1 foot so that vehicles dont take to them
2) Clear hawkers, encroaching shops, and garbage dumps from the footpaths so that people can use the footpaths instead of walking on the road
3) drive incidents like these into the heads of people so that they understand the importance of footpaths
4) Have zebra crossings at all intersections and give pedestrians the right of way.
5) speeds have to be controlled within city limits(automatic monitoring thru cameras and electronic challans). To rip, take to the highway or the ring road.
Exactly. But even after we will have all these rules, we will still not abide by any - since sab kuch chalta hai attitude is rampant.

Another most interesting question is did the cyclist obey any? the minimum being looking to the left, then to the right and then again to the left before crossing?

Its unfortunate that the incident occured.
Old 25th January 2009, 13:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

RIP for those 4 souls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...All said and done he may be let off with paying some fine or at the most he will be jailed for 2 years...
This might just be the case! By a week or two, this will move out of the media and then it will be all taken care by money power or influence! No one will ever know!

Life is becoming so cheap....
Old 25th January 2009, 14:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
RIP for those 4 souls!
This might just be the case! By a week or two, this will move out of the media and then it will be all taken care by money power or influence! No one will ever know!

Life is becoming so cheap....
completely. There is no safety for the morning joggers nowadays. Feel miserable with this kind of situation we are in today.
Old 25th January 2009, 19:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think the reason he went into hiding for 12 hours is for the 'nasha' to come off so that he could whip up a story and get away with it.
Old 26th January 2009, 13:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Huh??? The car definitely was not 'allowed' on the footpath. But it did manage to have a peek into the footpath and snub out 4 lives, didnt it?
Maybe I didn't write that out clearly. I didn't mean that cars are allowed onto footpaths. I meant that joggers and bicyclists also don't share paths. Everyone has their separate tracks/footpaths and roads.

I do agree with your points, even though their real-life application will be tougher than imagined.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think the reason he went into hiding for 12 hours is for the 'nasha' to come off so that he could whip up a story and get away with it.
Not read the article in detail, but I heard that the guy had 9 pegs of Whiskey, and then drove the car.
My mom usually goes for her morning walks on the same streets,and she said that she used to see the elderly gentlemen walk everyday. May their souls rest in peace!
Old 27th January 2009, 11:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just 2 years for an offence like this? no wonder why the crime rate is going uphill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post

Case booked under IPC 304A

The Indiranagar Traffic Police have registered a case under IPC 304A against the driver. The DCP said that the car driver escaping after the incident amounts to hit-and-run. IPC 304A (Causing death by negligence): Whoever causes the death of any person by committing any rash or negligent act not amounting to culpable homicide, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.

All said and done he may be let off with paying some fine or at the most he will be jailed for 2 years...
Old 27th January 2009, 12:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

According to Bangalore Police (Reports published in newspapers) that even after 12 hours the blood test conducted on driver had more alcohol contents than stipulated amount. His lawyer giving arguments that the he consumed alcohol few hours back.

Sometimes we can see what is truth clearly but cannot convert those into book of evidence in terms of law. The biggest loophole in law of many countries.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a sad incident and the driver shouldnt be spared.
I cant imagine a Honda Accord veering out of control unless it was on a dangerous speed.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Strangely I don't see the progress of this case in any of the news channels. Are they still covering it?
Any new updates on what is happening?
Old 27th January 2009, 14:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thank god, he was not a movie star.
Old 27th January 2009, 14:52   #42
BANNED

We are completely going by what media is saying and should think of the other side too. It could be that he was driving fast and the cyclist came out of nowhere to bisect the road. The morning fogs in the recent days would have made this a dangerous situation and he as he said could genuinely have been shocked by the presence of the cyclist immediately before him which made him react suddenly by swerving.
In that case the only fault of his would have been of driving too fast for the visibility.

Remember nobody saw how the accident happened, the eye witness saw it after they heard the sound of collision with the cyclist by which time it was all over.

His blood alcohol concentration just shows that he had a drink sometime in the past and c'mon for that matter anyone having a peg of beer the friday before would still show come alcohol in his/her blood.

I am not arguing his case but showing how it could be so different.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:07   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post

I am not arguing his case but showing how it could be so different.
Well, why did he not surrender at a police station within an hour assuking he feared for his life
Old 27th January 2009, 15:23   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, why did he not surrender at a police station within an hour assuking he feared for his life
Instinct to flee the scene and shock of consequences, we should be able to understand that. But I am not saying he was surely sober either. He could have been sober or not, I am not discounting that.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

@zaks honestly nobody has any business driving fast in that neck of the woods - narrow road, lots of intersecting roads, and in case there was fog, lowered visibility! Never drive faster than a speed at which you can stop within visible, clear road space is something we should follow blindly. True for curves, slopes on hills, city streets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks