Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 09:42   #1
BHPian

Barasingha (Swamp Deer) Attack on a Santro !!!

Hi Guys ,
On of my friend's friend was going to McLeod Ganj (HP) on their Santro when apparently they were attacked by a Barasingha on Lake Road,
So my question here is how can we prevent such accidents and also how can we distract the animal to stop attacking the vehicle ?

The Car Before the Accident:
Barasingha (Swamp Deer) Attack on a Santro !!!-before.jpg
and after the attack :
Barasingha (Swamp Deer) Attack on a Santro !!!-after.jpg
Old 25th February 2009, 09:50   #2
BHPian

Was the car stationary or was it in motion when this happened.

By looking at the car ( particularly by looking at the damage on windscreen ) it seems that the car hit the Barasingha at some speed.

The title of the thread should be "Santro attacks on a Barasingha ( Swamp Deer ) ".
Old 25th February 2009, 10:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mr.Rahul please describe the incident in detail, by seeing the car it can be assumed as below -

1. By seeing the wheel arch, side door & window - we can assume that the deer has attacked your car.
2. By seeing the windshield - we can assume that the deer has been hit at a very high speed and the deer hit the windshield.

This is a very unusual incident which has happened.

Last edited by gowda79 : 25th February 2009 at 10:02.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
By looking at the car ( particularly by looking at the damage on windscreen ) it seems that the car hit the Barasingha at some speed.

The title of the thread should be "Santro attacks on a Barasingha ( Swamp Deer ) ".
Kamesh, thanks for echoing my thoughts
Old 25th February 2009, 10:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Rahul Singh Describe the incident in detail, by seeing the car it can be assumed as below -

1. By seeing the wheel arch, side door & window - we can assume that the deer has attacked your car.
2. By seeing the windshield - we can assume that the deer has been hit at a very high speed and the deer hit the windshield.

This is a very unusual incident which has happened.
Sir this is not my car as told earlier,
Yes this is very unusual, even the insurance guy could not believe this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Was the car stationary or was it in motion when this happened.

The accident was presumably on a stationary car by agressive Barasingha
Old 25th February 2009, 11:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

I once saw a bull attacking a stationary bulldozer in Noida. So its entirely possible. Maybe he was trying to mate with the santro, or saw it as a rival for a female nearby.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

this can very much happen. i have faced a similar thing. i stopped my car seeing a huge cattle coming from front. huge big black buffaloes. the cattle rarer was hitting them and suddenly they started running in panic. one huge buffalo with a big wooden log in its neck came and hit my right fender.
i had to change the right fender. it was very shocking the way the buffaloes where running.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:36   #8
BHPian

This can very well happen.. Santro has a very delicate body. Even a bufflow tail can make a small dent on the car, which (bufflow) swifts in speed.

But looking at this damanged santro, I can understand the side hit.. But how is the windscreen broken in such an odd way..? Seems that the B pillar is in good shape..
Old 25th February 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the possibly hit a herd of deers (atleast 2) at speed, one of them being thrown onto the windscreen or possibly the impact of the horn crashing against the windscreen, while the other explaining the impact on the side door. I doubt if a Barasingha would have attacked a car like this and not on evidence of the impact on windscreen that it was a stationery car.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this particular Barasingha was killed by a santro car in his previous birth. And he is out to take revenge?

How to prevent it: In my opinion

1. If you see any wild animals on the road, stop much before them so they dont feel threatened.

2. If the vehicle is parked, try not to park on animals regular paths. clearly visible by broken bushes and even pathways

3. but again if the vehicle is attacked by a mad animal, you cant do much.

Last edited by deky : 25th February 2009 at 11:54.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:51   #11
BHPian

Instances of Neel Gai (a kind of antelope) running across road and getting hit by a moving vehicle are common on the Meerut - Dehradun road. The road crosses the Rajaji National Park near Dehradun and that is where such instances happen. There are sign boards put cautioning the drivers about the danger of animals crossing the road but most people drive fast and accidents do happen.

I remember witnessing one NHC doing 110 kmph as it overtook our Indica (taxi) and had a Neel Gai running in. It slipped off the road and screeched for good 100 metres before hitting a tree to stop. The family sitting in stepped out shocked. No one was hurt luckly except the poor animal. I didn't feel sympthatic towards the people in the car. We stopped, saw they were fine and moved on.

Animals have the first right always on roads. Not to forget the pedestrians, even if they are jaywalking.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks bad !! How come he reached till windshield ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Maybe this particular Barasingha was killed by a santro car in his previous birth. And he is out to take revenge?
And how come you remember the story.. The "Bhool Bhuliya" way
Old 25th February 2009, 12:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

The windshield suggests that the deer climbed on the Santro or did it get damaged due to the A Pillar bending?
Seems like it was a very angry Barasingha! (Maybe it fought with it's wife and took out it's anger on the Santro )
Old 25th February 2009, 12:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh,
This can happen anywhere, on Baroda -Ahmadabad highway also.
Buffalo hit my friend's Wagon R. Wind screen of the car totally damaged. Bonnet also damaged badly. It was 7-8pm driving.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th February 2009 at 12:03.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Animals have the first right always on roads. Not to forget the pedestrians, even if they are jaywalking.
+1 to that.

Here is a sign posted in Jim Corbett to proove Dushmish right

P.S read FIRT as FIRST
Attached Thumbnails
Barasingha (Swamp Deer) Attack on a Santro !!!-img_2039.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks