Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 19:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post

Wind_rider, that was indeed a brave move to pull over at that time, without street lights and with very low traffic. In such scenarios I wouldnt even slow down below a certain limit.

Please complete the story.. I could take some tips. Have planned a trip to chamundi hill this weekend with my fianci.

Any other place i would have been scared to stop , i usually am very uncomfortable .

But Mysore is my hometown and i have been to the hill like a million times , with without company and always felt safe .

I mean things like mugging & robbery had happen , but never thought it might happen to me.

All the times when i was happy or sad , i have always been to the hill , you will understand it when you visit it .

Just be safe , stick to the main road only , its tourist season so scum like these would prey on tourist who dont report such incidents .

It really is a nice place buddy , and me and my girlfriend have decided , we are going to that place , so lowlife mugger cant scare us .
Old 12th May 2010, 19:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

wind_rider 1st and foremost thank your guardian angel.I was there at Chamundi Hills on the same night at 8:00pm , yes on the 9th of May.

Quote:
and the other goes to interior places , this interior road is usually used by forest dept guys to patrol .
We were at the same place, there is a view point there and if you follow the road downhill it brings you back to the base and connects to the main road.

So how long did you stay back there for coz my Scorp' was parked near the temple for about 30 mins and we headed to the view point. We were about 11 people in total and at about 9pm or so a patrol chap pulled over. However he never questioned us, he went further down and was questioning a dude in a zen.

Your thread has come as a complete shocker coz I thought Chamundi hills was devoid all such issues since late 2008. In 2008 there was some kinda fight at one of the view points since then there has been constant patrolling by the cops.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 12th May 2010 at 19:13.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
is it over yet? If not complete it - or don't start posting it in the first place.
Hi
Send this story to Subhash Ghai and it could make a good scene in a Bolywood movie.

Anyway, your good at telling a tall story and in bits my friend
Old 12th May 2010, 19:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

@wind_rider,
Mysore is my hometown too, but every one knows that the unlit smaller roads atop chamundi hills are unsafe places in Mysore.

After a particular incident around 5 yrs, I always stick to the main roads. Once while returning back from nandi atop chamundi hills at around 8 pm, we noticed that some muggers have placed some boulders on the road blocking it, luckily since we were in a safari, I did not stop and went over them. I could see a group of 3 people coming out of the bushes after I went over the boulders. I went up the hill and informed the police about the incident. They sent a patrol to look for these people. I did not pursue this case further.

Nowadays I stick to main roads and always keep a close eye on my surroundings if I have to stop my car atop chamundi hills.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
is it over yet? If not complete it - or don't start posting it in the first place.

__________________________________________________ _____

The cops give a quick and nice response and i am actually happy @ their speed .

i mean you call control room and within 10 minutes the inspector calls you to the cops .

I go to the police station and try to identify the suspects , but cant id anyone , i tell the cops there to take fingerprints that are there on my wind-shield & driver window , but they just dont heed to my advise [ A mistake from their end ].
they just ask me to come in the morning .

Call up dad and inform him about what happened , go home and appraise mom about what happened , she is shell shocked .

Mom thanks the stars that i had some presence of mind , and i thank my intuitions for giving me a alert .

I park the car in a garage as moisture would erase the fingerprints and make it tough to be extracted , and try to sleep .

I mean , the whole night the incident kept playing in my mind , i wish his hand had got caught in the power window .

Next morning at the station come to know that another family [ couple + kids ] were also robbed at knife-point by a bunch of guys who fit the description of what i had given .

the couple tried to chase them and some person fell down in the melee , so the couple makes a hue & cry the public trashes the fallen down guys, some other guys come to help those fallen off the RX bike and they too are caught as suspects , by then since i had called the cops were there [ Happened last night , about 20 mins from my incident ].

So all guys on RX bikes were suspects who were rounded up and pulled into the station .

The I.O happened to by a student of my Dad from the police Academy and he did a thorough " Work " on the guys , but no go | promised to update me of any leads.

the fingerprint team could not find any finger prints that were usable , only palm prints were available which is not of much use , and most of the prints were smudged with dust and some moisture [ too bad ] , if only the cops had listened to me the previous night .

conclusion : Nobody confesses , the other couple registers a complaint and identifies some of the suspects as culprits, now i guess the case will go on.

the suspects say they are innocent , and even tough they are not wrong will pay for the loss of the couple [ a HTC phone & cash ] so that they are not booked for the case [ That is highly suspicious ] .

I or my GF cant make a positive ID [ 70+ % positive ] on anyone .

I get my case booked under IPC ACT 1860 , Section 393 , attempt at armed robbery , with the intent to cause grievous injuries .

I collect my FIR copy , the cops promise that they will do all that they can , and i am left staring at the 2 knife wounds on my front windscreen & driver side windscreen to my baby .

Lessons Learnt .

Its good to never pull the window glass down completely .
No matter how well you know some place , be careful.
Carry Pepper spray.
Use the small 3inch blade knife that is kept in the car.
No matter how tough , make a note of the assailants vehicle reg no [ unless its pitch dark ]

But we will go back to the hill , its my hill , nobody will scare me of that beautiful place .

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 21:25. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies per post allowed.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
wind_rider 1st and foremost thank your guardian angel.I was there at Chamundi Hills on the same night at 8:00pm , yes on the 9th of May.

We were at the same place, there is a view point there and if you follow the road downhill it brings you back to the base and connects to the main road.

So how long did you stay back there for coz my Scorp' was parked near the temple for about 30 mins and we headed to the view point. We were about 11 people in total and at about 9pm or so a patrol chap pulled over. However he never questioned us, he went further down and was questioning a dude in a zen.

Your thread has come as a complete shocker coz I thought Chamundi hills was devoid all such issues since late 2008. In 2008 there was some kinda fight at one of the view points since then there has been constant patrolling by the cops.
Well i guess there was an angel that night , and the road i am refering to is the first left on the main road that connects to lalith mahal & Indus valley Ayurvedic centre .

I too was under the impression that Chamundi was safe , but off late it is becoming unsafe .

Would have been nice if you guys had comedown our road when this was happening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshad9493 View Post
Hi
Send this story to Subhash Ghai and it could make a good scene in a Bolywood movie.

Anyway, your good at telling a tall story and in bits my friend
TY , wish i was not in office , could have posted the story in one shot .
And come to think of it it does sound like a scene from B'wood , but man things like this happens too fast , sheesh .

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
@wind_rider,
Mysore is my hometown too, but every one knows that the unlit smaller roads atop chamundi hills are unsafe places in Mysore.

After a particular incident around 5 yrs, I always stick to the main roads. Once while returning back from nandi atop chamundi hills at around 8 pm, we noticed that some muggers have placed some boulders on the road blocking it, luckily since we were in a safari, I did not stop and went over them. I could see a group of 3 people coming out of the bushes after I went over the boulders. I went up the hill and informed the police about the incident. They sent a patrol to look for these people. I did not pursue this case further.

Nowadays I stick to main roads and always keep a close eye on my surroundings if I have to stop my car atop chamundi hills.
Yes , but i didnt stop it far away , it was 50 meters from the main road with " a lot of traffic " and i stopped for 20 secs max before all this happened .

Guess gotta be more careful from now on , esp when there are women for company .

But now i know .!
Old 13th May 2010, 11:17   #22
BANNED

Wow man that was quite nasty to be happening on Chamundi hills. You had the presence of mind and boldness to react quickly, anybody else would have just handed over their belongings in that situation.
It's not always safe to completely switch off the engine and roll down the windows too simultaneously in isolated places after dark.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

How bad was the damage? Could you post some pics?
Old 13th May 2010, 12:35   #24
BHPian

This is really sad. The road to Chamundi hills has become notorious for such incidents off-late. End of the day both of you did not get hurt.

Take care

P.S: Are you the guy who narrated this on Radio Indigo couple of days back?
Old 15th May 2010, 08:18   #25
BHPian

This is scary...armed robbery in such a nice peaceful city...the criminals are horrible but you almost made the public @ bhp more sympathetic to them by telling your long winded story in instalments :-)

The police probably were not stupid, but VERY SMART in not taking finger prints. If finger prints are there, it is conclusive evidence on file, too many other staff involved, they HAVE TO prosecute - which means NO INCOME. This way they probably know who the guys are, what they 'gained' and can milk them for a share...

If they are sincere they will lay a trap in similar / same location and prosecute them one day.
Old 16th May 2010, 15:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

really glad that you and your girlfriend came out safe. good presence of mind of yours to face and repel the attack.

Will be careful given your experience, doesnt matter if I am 2k kms from your town.
Old 16th May 2010, 15:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Wow man that was quite nasty to be happening on Chamundi hills. You had the presence of mind and boldness to react quickly, anybody else would have just handed over their belongings in that situation.
It's not always safe to completely switch off the engine and roll down the windows too simultaneously in isolated places after dark.
IMO usually people would like to attack back when they get attacked , if there is a advantage they continue else they give up .

guess was lucky .!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How bad was the damage? Could you post some pics?
will click from cellphone and upload sometime , no cam with me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
This is really sad. The road to Chamundi hills has become notorious for such incidents off-late. End of the day both of you did not get hurt.

Take care

P.S: Are you the guy who narrated this on Radio Indigo couple of days back?
Yup both are safe and that is what counts , and yes that was me : i wanted to listen to " A pillow of winds " by Floyd , but just didnt have the CD . what to do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxter View Post
This is scary...armed robbery in such a nice peaceful city...the criminals are horrible but you almost made the public @ bhp more sympathetic to them by telling your long winded story in instalments :-)

The police probably were not stupid, but VERY SMART in not taking finger prints. If finger prints are there, it is conclusive evidence on file, too many other staff involved, they HAVE TO prosecute - which means NO INCOME. This way they probably know who the guys are, what they 'gained' and can milk them for a share...

If they are sincere they will lay a trap in similar / same location and prosecute them one day.
Dont know about sympathies mate , just wanted the folks to be aware , informed .
And guess you are right about the Cops .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
really glad that you and your girlfriend came out safe. good presence of mind of yours to face and repel the attack.

Will be careful given your experience, doesnt matter if I am 2k kms from your town.
Im glad at being safe too , you right 2 Kms or 2K kms , place is just a place , people are most likely same everywhere , dont know about bihar tough

wouldnt try this there i guess .

Last edited by wind_rider : 16th May 2010 at 16:00.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thank your stars you are safe. Apart from not parking/halting at unlit and lonely spots (even if you have your gf with you), make sure to never completely switch off the ignition. Leaving it in ON position ensures you can operate the power windows even before starting the engine as well as ensure the doors are locked, but it's also harder for someone to remove the key from the ignition.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_rider View Post
Alas , that idot did not know that unlike other cars , punto has a different position for the keyhole .! and he could not grab the key .
I deflected his hand and pushed it away so that he is not successful in his attempt .
I was just thinking what would have happened if he was able to snatch your car key. Man...! you sure would have ended up in some trouble. Thanks to Fiat for the design (I have also heard from someone that burglars were unable to steal the car - Palio - because they couldn't figure out how to engage the reverse gear within few seconds of time they had to vanish!)

You were very lucky to have escaped from a situation like that, especially when you have your girlfriend with you!

Last edited by clevermax : 24th May 2010 at 12:33.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:13   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Am sure glad that you & the girl are okay. Believe me, and no offense, but murders take place for much smaller reasons. You should be grateful to be posting this thread. Ideally, you would have rolled up your windows & started the car when that bike shut its headlamps off. Well, alls well that ends well I guess.

Stay safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks