Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 21:52   #16
BHPian

Re: TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...

Awesome short review!congrats on the dream purchase. I am also planing on buying a SuperLow or the Iron883 in coming 6 to 9 months-dream of a lifetime.But am confused on the following-this a lifetime purchase for a middle class 34 year old guy like me (though i dream of a fatboy-cant own one unless i rob a bank/win lottery or both) i want to buy it now where a unhealthy me has some chance to ride it not when i'm 50 years old and have unlimited health issues. This is going to be my daily driver, i haven't upgraded from my 13/14 year old pulsar for the same reason and no one around me in my family of friends is convinced about a 6-8 odd lakhs bike (social strata issues-cant reason with financial logic) i stay at chitradurga thats about 200kms north of Bangalore what do you guys suggest?i was thinking-
1. buy a brand new Harley, enjoy the purchase experience and genuine HOG membership( Cons- cant reach the service center for early niggles/expensive accessories+ overall cost)
2. Buy a pre-worshiped steed-save up one the cost of accessories(presumably the owner will sell off at a package rate), most of the early niggles/services should be done with and also hoping to save a lakh or two on the price(the more the better-but have no idea about what price points these have in the resale market). Cons- loose out on the showroom experience/condition of bike (i doubt this), HOG membership.
i know that's a lot, hope am not hijacking the main thread, what say guys any pointers?
Old 20th June 2014, 21:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I was planning to get the suspension adjusted to a more comfortable setting. Which setting would you advise?
Like I said before I prefer the stiffest setting. It's there in the manual listed as with the heaviest payload. Do try to do it at home. Not a big deal at all. If you don't like that then the mid setting may also do. But the softest setting is just not right for India.

I do not see any reason why Harley cannot give a India specific suspension setup when the same is available as a paid option. Just more ways to squeeze some money out of us...
Old 20th June 2014, 23:41   #18
BHPian

That's a lovely bike there.. congratulations!
Wish you a long, happy ownership.
I'm surprised to hear HD has discontinued this shade. IMO it looks really good on this bike.
More pics as and when possible would be cool.
Old 21st June 2014, 01:07   #19
BHPian

It's been raining amber whiskeys on team bhp, ain't it? :-)
You've got yourself a fantastic ride and did I mention color? How easy is it to control one at crawling speeds? Saw an 883 the other day at the signal, the rider almost toppled it 2 times.
Old 21st June 2014, 01:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Congratulations Stig!. Very good color you got there for the bike. Also the riding gear selection is great! @Mods - This thread deserves to be moved in "Superbikes and Imports" section.
Thank you very much the VTEC guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Great ride, especially in that colour. Congratulations!!! Keep the rubber side down, and enjoy munching the miles.

Btw, can you please share the details of where you bought the Astar shoes? I was looking for something similar

O.T, does this happen to you? [14x07] “Some say that he has to take his shoes off with an allen key, and that his new year’s resolution is to eat fewer mice. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”
Thank you hifisharu!
I purchased the Alpinestars from planetDSG.com. They are a Pune based sporting goods store. They have good selection and the whoe buying experience was very pleasant. Got delivery in about 4 days.

And I'm too hip for an Allen key. Wrench it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! The Iron looks delicious, especially in that colour. Good choice!

Lovely summary of likes & dislikes. Thanks for the absolutely neutral review

Get a body cover? Cats can damage your upholstery with their sharp nails. I had the same problem when parking my Jeep outside. Cats would ruin the seats.

Ride safe buddy!
Thank you GTO for the kind words.
As Scorcher mentioned, I am using a cover. But after riding the bike needs around 2 hours to cool down and only then i can cover it, or the Cover can get melted by the hot engine and exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulations on the Iron 883. This was on top of my list when I was considering upgrading to a bigger bike and if I had bought this bike, it would have been this very color

This bike screams for attention and iam sure you must be enjoying the wild eyed stares and scampering on roads to come close or touch it reactions

Like GTO mentioned, your summarization of the likes and dislikes is spot-on and I whole agree with your observations.

Lastly, wonderful choice of gear and good to see your equipped right from the day your bike is on road which is a fabulous thing

Enjoy your ride and keep sharing stories related to it with us here !!!

P.S: Witty thread title too...Love it !!
Thank you mobike008! Congratulations on your purchase of the Bonnie! I am an avid reader of your thread.

I get the most attention at the fuel station. Of course accompanied by the quintessential Indian questions: 'Ethra aayi? (kitna hai? / how much is it?) ' and 'Ethra kittum? (kitna milega? / what's the mileage? )'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv14 View Post
Nice choice of colour. A well put report on your ride.

Have you done any long rides on the 883? How comfortable is it over long distance?

Cheers,
Vinay.
Thank you Vinay. As of now just the trip from Cochin to Trivandrum.
It's a great bike for long distance riding. I wasn't tired or my body wasn't aching after the ride. Just need to keep an eye out for any rough patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Like I said before I prefer the stiffest setting. It's there in the manual listed as with the heaviest payload. Do try to do it at home. Not a big deal at all. If you don't like that then the mid setting may also do. But the softest setting is just not right for India.

I do not see any reason why Harley cannot give a India specific suspension setup when the same is available as a paid option. Just more ways to squeeze some money out of us...
Yeah i went through the manual. I weigh around 90 kg now, so looks like the mid setting is appropriate. Since i do not have the right tools I shall get it done from the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
That's a lovely bike there.. congratulations!
Wish you a long, happy ownership.
I'm surprised to hear HD has discontinued this shade. IMO it looks really good on this bike.
More pics as and when possible would be cool.
They probably discontinued the color to maintain a certain degree of exclusivity. But you never know, they may re introduce it after a while.

Will post more pics when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosportster View Post
Hey stig, let me congratulate you officialy on team bhp, since I have already done it in person. And thanks for letting me ride this wonderful machine. Good write up. The cat sitting on the saddle was funny. Dont forget the photoshoot that you have promised. All the best.
Thank you sir! The photoshoot is confirmed, once this rain is gone.
Old 21st June 2014, 08:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Aha! the thread. Adding video that I took during the mini-tvm-tbhp meet!

Congrats and enjoy the ride!.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 09:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
I think i saw you yesterday at around 5.00 - 5.15PM on Jagathy - Poojapura road. Eye catching colour and a very nice shade
Old 21st June 2014, 10:43   #23
BHPian

Hey Stig

I cannot stop drooling and cant take my eyes of your steed.
The whiskey color looks very nice!. I am not surprised at all with all the attention the bike has been getting. A sure-shot traffic stopper.
Wishing you lots of long rides and fun with the bike.
Cheers
Old 21st June 2014, 18:47   #24
BHPian

Hey Stig,

Heartiest congratulations on your ride. I too share the same love so can connect with your experience. Amber Whisky has the same effect as the Whisky is the name

Be prepared to pay the Harley Tax brother. Soon the upgrade and accessories itch will get the better of you and your wallet. Enjoy the journey.

Happy riding.
Old 21st June 2014, 18:50   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on the Bike...she sure looks pretty.

I just noticed from the pictures that you still have stock exhausts on. Warranty fears perhaps.

But you will never realize the true potential of a Harley till you remove those Lawyer exhausts and put on something that lets the bike breath a bit more freely.

The dealer will sure suggest that Screamin Eagles are the best but I looked around and found many better and cheaper alternatives and settled on Bassani.

Here's a small video that I shot and it gives you the idea.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What I like:

1) The looks. Especially the Amber Whiskey shade. Turns heads at every turn!
2) The sound and feel of the bike.
3) Responsive engine mated to a good gearbox
4) Respectable fuel economy
5) Stability at high speeds
6) Grippy Michelin tyres.
Quote:
Thank you very much the VTEC guy!

Thank you sir! The photoshoot is confirmed, once this rain is gone.

Hello Stig (since I don't know your name)

Congratualations on the AW.

It has a lot going for it and I am sure you will enjoy it a lot as time goes by.

There was a mention of Poojapura somewhere by Sankar in this thread, are you located somewhere there abouts. I will be in Trivandrum the whole month of July 2014, would be good to catch up if you are around.

JKD, Sankar, Scotcher etc, see if we can catch up sometime

I am also hoping for the rains to give me some clear windows to ride, whilst I am there.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd June 2014 at 12:16.
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I am also hoping for the rains to give me some clear windows to ride, whilst I am there.
Just drop me a message. Will coordinate. Gonna ride the bonnie or RD? We all live nearby

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd June 2014 at 15:50. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post for one line reply
Old 22nd June 2014, 15:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Just drop me a message. Will coordinate. Gonna ride the bonnie or RD? We all live nearby
Will do!

RD definitely, and may be something else as well. Bonney not likely unless I get company for a ride from B'lore to Trivandrum.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Scorcher,Were did you inform of the meet.Was it in the meet thread?

Was JK Das part of it.Any ways love to see you all since it has been a loong time since i have met anyone.

We already kinda did. Posted in the thread a few weeks before, but no one replied. So we got it touch with a few offline and met up at CCD, Kowdiar [/quote]
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Scorcher,Were did you inform of the meet.Was it in the meet thread?
It was in the following thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...meets-tvm.html

Anyways, any time after 3rd July I am game to meet.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks