Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: If you have faced a DSG mechatronics failure, please vote here(Multiple option poll):
My car is a Laura Petrol 1 5.88%
My car is a Laura Diesel 4 23.53%
My car is a Superb Petrol 5 29.41%
My car is a Superb Diesel 3 17.65%
It is a 6-speed DSG 6 35.29%
It is a 7-speed DSG 11 64.71%
The car is mostly chauffeur-driven 6 35.29%
The car is mostly self-driven 9 52.94%
Most of my drive is in crawling / stop-start traffic 6 35.29%
Most of my drive is in free-flowing traffic 4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd January 2012, 08:35   #136
BANNED

Default Re: DSG Mechatronics Failures: Are we driving them wrongly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I would never have comprehended till pointed out by you that the tone of your penultimate post was same as that of your other posts. Guess it is remedial English classes for me now!
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully will help you look past the tone and see the content which I was asking you to compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
There is more to it than just technical discussions. My very first post on this thread (I think #2), and subsequent posts should have made clear my focus.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes. Your focus has been quite clear: You dont think driving style has anything to do with DSG failure. Am I close?

Would you care to disclose a few clues so we can deduce why not? Perhaps some suggestion to an alternative reason?

If your logic is that Skoda should have made it better, which btw is a moot point because if they did, we would not have this thread to "discuss", you dont need to bother yourself with a reply.

Except perhaps to suggest a better material that BASF hasnt figured out yet which can withstand the high temperature and corrosive oil environment for extended periods of time to house the electronics and databus line.

As a customer, why should you care, right? If it doesn't work, it's Skoda's fault. Perhaps Technical Stuff thread is a wrong place to discuss such fantasy stuff like physics and chemistry.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:35   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

To summarize: After 10 pages and 136 posts, it is inconclusive whether DSGs do or do not need a different style of driving, and whether driving them in a manner that conventional automatics are driven will or will not cause the Mechatronics module to fail. No specific direction about modified driving techniques has been issued to any owner in writing by Skoda/VW, though some 'whisper campaign' may be in progress to shift blame for the more-frequent-than-usual rate of failure of DSG Mechatronics modules on to the owner/driver.

One fact has been thrown up though: that DSGs do have a potential to overheat more than other conventional automatic / manual gearboxes, a warning to the effect does exist in the owner's manual, and this may or may not contribute to the failure of the Mechatronics module. There are built-in overheat protection mechanisms in the DSG, but these may or may not be adequate to protect it from damage & failure. Until Skoda / VW / VAG / Borg Warner come out with clear warnings about a different driving technique to adopt for DSGs as opposed to conventional automatic transmissions, customers across the world do not / will not see the need to do anything different. If, indeed, a different driving technique is warranted, the involved manufacturers may not be willing at this stage (after a very large number of failures have already happened) to come out and make such a declaration, because affected users may then seek compensation for not having been warned of this earlier.

It is not statistically clear whether failure rate is higher in one type of DSG over another, but there seems to be some evidence that the Superb Diesel's 6-speed DSG is less prone to failure then the Superb Petrol's 7-speeder.

Request to mods: Until some more specific inputs are received, further discussion on this topic is futile and is starting to get personal. Therefore this thread may please be cleaned up of personal comments by certain conceited members, for e.g.
Quote:
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully will help you look past the tone and see the content which I was asking you to compare.
Quote:
You can stop begging. ...It's just nonsense jibber jabber after that.
See if you can source a chill pill as well. Looks like there is a deficiency.
Quote:
Saga will continue till someone with a lot of "Seniority" posts some words of wisdom so the masses have a mantra to chant. Seemed to have worked wonders on the anti-Skoda campaign.
Quote:
Tiptoeing on the edge of paranoia, are we?
and closed. If, in future, further data / details are available, this thread may be reopened at moderators' discretion.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:50   #138
Team-BHP Support

Note from Moderator

Folks

This whole thread has become a cat fight. Rather than go into who is right, who is saracastic, who in attacking, I am closing this thread for now

However

If any factual information emerge or there is some useful information that you feel strongly about. Please PM us. Till then we will consider reopening the thread after a reasonable period once tempers have cooled down
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 18:33   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Delhi Gurgaon Expressway: 24 lanes shut, 15 km traffic jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
It took me 3.5 hours to reach gurgaon from Delhi. An average speed of 11. I had to turn off the AC multiple times because I didn't want the DSG to overheat. Absolutely stupid stuff. Even kapasera was chocked.
Not to go off topic, I was in this huge jam for nearly three hours as well, but what does an AC have to do with the DSG?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 11:55   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Not to go off topic, I was in this huge jam for nearly three hours as well, but what does an AC have to do with the DSG?

Jeroen
Crawling overheats the gearbox. And generally from my experience, when an engine (not gearbox) overheats, the AC is the first thing to cut off. So to prevent things from going haywire I turned the AC off periodically.

I hope I did some good and not be envious of altos with ac's running. Sigh.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 12:48   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Crawling overheats the gearbox. And generally from my experience, when an engine (not gearbox) overheats, the AC is the first thing to cut off. So to prevent things from going haywire I turned the AC off periodically.

I hope I did some good and not be envious of altos with ac's running. Sigh.
Well, I think crawling shouldnt overheat a gearbox. If it does, its designed poorly or maintained poorly.

So it was hot last Friday, around 43-44oC. Sitting in such conditions should not be a big thing for a modern car. Even in Europe, happens in the South all the time. I've sat in monumental traffic ques in the south of France and Spain during summer holiday with my DSG Audi/VW, never a problem.

When an engine overheats on most modern cars the ECU will try to do a bit of load shedding and the first one to go is the AC, obviously. But as with your DSG, a modern car should be able to deal with this sort of temperature and length of time and have the AC full blast continuously. I know I did in the company Innova!

Turning off the AC does nothing for the DSG obviously. It lightens the load on the engine a bit. If I were you, I would have just kept it running and observed the temperature gauge on the dashboard (if you have one) if you see it creeping into the red, you can always decided to switch it off.
Under these circumstances it is perfectly normal to have the engine coolant temperature running at substantial higher temperatures then normal. As long as you're not redlining it, all should be well. No sweat!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote