Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 15:00   #121
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto engine failure @ 57000 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Never heard of this place, however, IMO charges seem a little overpriced and looks like they also took you for a small ride! That is why I asked who paid for this and where did you get it done!
These prices quoted are all from MGP. I dont know whether he is simply changing some parts which are not really required as he explained in detail to me each and every part and why it is needed to be replaced.

Also since the car is not in a drive able condition, I had to make a decision quickly on the workshop so that I can tow it out of FASS as quickly as possible. Got some very good reviews about this workshop from some of my friends and also there is a thread in t-bhp about this workshop (Though nobody has reported an engine overhaul done from there).

Quote:
I am sure that with your new car, you will be a lot careful and will never trust a SA or a A.S.S blindly!
That is the biggest lesson learned out of this experience.
Old 27th October 2014, 15:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
These prices quoted are all from MGP. I dont know whether he is simply changing some parts which are not really required as he explained in detail to me each and every part and why it is needed to be replaced.

Also since the car is not in a drive able condition, I had to make a decision quickly on the workshop so that I can tow it out of FASS as quickly as possible. Got some very good reviews about this workshop from some of my friends and also there is a thread in t-bhp about this workshop (Though nobody has reported an engine overhaul done from there).

That is the biggest lesson learned out of this experience.
All of us make mistakes and learn from our experience.

Take this as one! You did the best you could during the heat of the moment.

I'm glad the car will soon be back on its feet!

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 15:44   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Never heard of this place,
This is the place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html
Old 28th October 2014, 12:42   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Sorry missed this

You can buy brand new turbo from the OEM supplier (Turbo Energy Limited) for 12600MRP, so they (TEL) should be able to repair your turbo for much lower than 10K

http://www.turboenergy.co.in/after-m...ce-center.html
Thanks for the info.
I contacted TEL authorized service in bangalore and they will charge 12k for new turbo and 9.5k for core replacement. So I have decided to go for a new turbo. So total estimate for my repair will be 75k + 12k = 87K.
arunkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 10:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

May I recomend a 'must' have thing going forward considering new engine rebuild.

Get a OBD2 adaptor (1000Rs) and a cheap 4" andriod phone (4000rs) and a windsceen phone holder - setup 'torque pro' (250rs) with audio alerts and monitor top 5-7 engine parameters constantly.

In my Jeeping days I used to watch oil+temp+volt every 5-10 seconds, a quick glance was all that was needed. You can add few more dials to be monitored.

This is the best insurance you can get for your 90K investment.

On hindsight, if a manufacturer can make a complicated ECU to kill the engine when there is bad fuel/water in fuel, why the hell! they cant kill a engine if oil goes below 50% of required level. I bet all that takes is a 1-hour worth of a programmers workday. :(
svsantosh is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:17   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
May I recomend a 'must' have thing going forward considering new engine rebuild.

Get a OBD2 adaptor (1000Rs) and a cheap 4" andriod phone (4000rs) and a windsceen phone holder - setup 'torque pro' (250rs) with audio alerts and monitor top 5-7 engine parameters constantly.

In my Jeeping days I used to watch oil+temp+volt every 5-10 seconds, a quick glance was all that was needed. You can add few more dials to be monitored.

This is the best insurance you can get for your 90K investment.

On hindsight, if a manufacturer can make a complicated ECU to kill the engine when there is bad fuel/water in fuel, why the hell! they cant kill a engine if oil goes below 50% of required level. I bet all that takes is a 1-hour worth of a programmers workday. :(
For the app to work,do I need to connect the phone to the car's OBD port? I have a swift Di and would like to get one installed.
Also can you please suggest from where I can buy the cable,I live in Pune.Sorry for being a Noob.
Any brands you can recommend?I saw the following in e-bay.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Torqu...84072d1&_uhb=1

Last edited by rakesh_r : 31st October 2014 at 11:30.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:29   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
For the app to work,do I need to connect the phone to the car's OBD port? I have a swift Di and would like to get one installed.
Also can you please suggest from where I can buy the cable,I live in Pune.Sorry for being a Noob.
Any brands you can recommend?
There is no need for a cable. OBD2 adapter connects to mobile phone through bluetooth wirelessly. You need to buy something like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-OBD2-...item3ce661bbb9
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:24   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for this info.
I can see that this instrument connects to the ECU and gets statistics. In that case, how does it know the oil level? As per many posts here, there is only an oil pressure sensor which may not trigger an alarm even when the oil level goes dangerously low. In that case there is already a warning sign which comes up in MID. How is it different from that?
Old 31st October 2014, 14:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On hindsight, if a manufacturer can make a complicated ECU to kill the engine when there is bad fuel/water in fuel, why the hell! they cant kill a engine if oil goes below 50% of required level. I bet all that takes is a 1-hour worth of a programmers workday.
Seems strategic. How will they make money if they incorporate something like this.

As far as I know, you are pretty jacked even for situations like bad fuel, water in fuel etc. The ECU does not come in between. Your engine will keep spinning, cough and die.

I believe even the low oil pressure warning comes on too late and by that time, you've damaged enough of the engine.

Same story for the hot engine warning for cars that do not have a temperature meter. I do recall reading about a FM's Skoda Rapid steaming soon after the warning lit up. There was no buffer to even pull the car over to the kerb.
Old 31st October 2014, 23:52   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Seems strategic. How will they make money if they incorporate something like this.

As far as I know, you are pretty jacked even for situations like bad fuel, water in fuel etc. The ECU does not come in between. Your engine will keep spinning, cough and die.

I believe even the low oil pressure warning comes on too late and by that time, you've damaged enough of the engine.

Same story for the hot engine warning for cars that do not have a temperature meter. I do recall reading about a FM's Skoda Rapid steaming soon after the warning lit up. There was no buffer to even pull the car over to the kerb.

Strategic in the sense they do it deliberately to make money? I doubt it. These sort of incidents are no matter what relatively rare compared to the total number of cars out there. Car/engine manufacturers will not automatically shut down an engine due to low oil or high cooling water temperature. Its just too dangerous. But if you stop as soon as you get the respective warning lights you should be fine in most cases. That is what the owner manual will tell you as well. It will say something along the lines of stop safely as soon as you can or words to that effect. Driving onwards with a low oil pressure or high cooling water temperature is what causes the real problems.

Jeroen
Old 7th November 2014, 15:58   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
For the app to work,do I need to connect the phone to the car's OBD port?...

Any brands you can recommend?I saw the following in e-bay.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Torqu...84072d1&_uhb=1
This will work, see my thread here. Just need a smartphone and the 250Rs app TorquePro.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...va-tdci-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I can see that this instrument connects to the ECU and gets statistics. In that case, how does it know the oil level? As per many posts here, there is only an oil pressure sensor which may not trigger an alarm even when the oil level goes dangerously low. In that case there is already a warning sign which comes up in MID. How is it different from that?
Hi, I am afraid there is nothing (within our grasp at least) that can indicate the oil level accurately. See these threads (copyright - respective owners).

http://www.google.co.in/patents/US6917865

http://www.carmag.co.za/technical/te...-level-sensor/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Actually I wonder when does the oil-pressure light switches on?! If it is beyond the point of no-return then its a waste.

^^ This is where the OBD device and App "can/may" come into good use.

1) 5 Liters of oil in a running engine and 3 liters of engine oil may have different oil pressures.

2) If not pressure - at least the oil temperature may differ between 5 & 3 or 2 liters? Low oil can increase stress and thus increase oil temp (Oil temp is a indicated and accurate read-out)

3) Will a overheating engine increase the coolant temp - I dont know.

4) There is a PID called Engine LOAD - I have seen it raise and fall relative to my right leg input - I dont know if will show high load if there is a bit of friction due to loss of oil?!

So my sugession (who are intersted to monitor engine health thru OBD & app) is to set the coolant temp & Oil pressure & Oil Temp as the top 3 parameters and may be engine load as a good to have parameter.

And may be, a 30-second graph would be better than realtime snapshop - would show a drastic rise in temp or fall in pressure and easier to spot. I hope (never checked) that audio warning sounds can be set for each gauge once critical level is reached.
Old 1st December 2014, 14:23   #132
BHPian

What happened, finally, arunkk? Is your car up and running again? I hope it is....
Old 1st December 2014, 20:12   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
What happened, finally, arunkk? Is your car up and running again? I hope it is....
Hey sorry for not updating. My car is up and running and with some paint job also done, it looks and feels like new.
I took delivery and immediately went abroad for a work assignment. Got to know that there are slight oil leaks. Need to take it back to the workshop for fixing that. Overall cost came to 88k including the turbo replacement.
arunkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 23:40   #134

I am in a similar situation with my Fiat Linea MJD Emotion, 2010 done 60K. I have a quote of 1.4L from the dealer. Half Engine assembly, Turbo recon and other stuff. I am unable to decide if its worthwhile to invest so much in a 4.5 year old car (who knows what problem is going to prop up next!!), or simple go for a new car......must say that I am completely disillusioned by the attitude of FIAT and its Service Network....would also advise strongly against going for any of their products.....
Old 28th December 2014, 08:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid77 View Post
I am in a similar situation with my Fiat Linea MJD Emotion, 2010 done 60K. I have a quote of 1.4L from the dealer. Half Engine assembly, Turbo recon and other stuff. I am unable to decide if its worthwhile to invest so much in a 4.5 year old car (who knows what problem is going to prop up next!!), or simple go for a new car......must say that I am completely disillusioned by the attitude of FIAT and its Service Network....would also advise strongly against going for any of their products.....
Very sad to hear about your case.
It has become a regular affair now of fiat car engines to malfunction immediately after the 4 year extended warranty period between 60-90k kms. I also mentioned earlier about another fellow whom I met in the Vecto motors service center whose Linea engine gave up at 90K kms.

Please correspond with higher ups of fiat and raise a complaint in their website. They may offer you 25% discount like they did for me. Also they respond to fiat-india facebook page if you raise a complaint. Still I didn't go with them for repair as I don't know what all prices they will inflate to extort money from me.

Last edited by arunkk : 28th December 2014 at 08:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks