Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2004, 15:51   #1
snoopy41

Since all of us are constantly looking for more power from our steeds,,turbocharging invariably involves sustained high rpm running of the engine,,so it also involves enormous heat generation which can cause pistons to seize and cylinder heads to warp if cooling is inadequate,,so is it advisable to adapt it to our engines,,and if so any minimum requirements like for example can an old chain driven 118 engine handle it,,

Old 27th August 2004, 15:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Topic moved to Technical Stuff.

Rt
Old 27th August 2004, 16:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Here is a must read for anyone who is looking at going for turbocharging

Turbochargers Guide

Also please remember if you are looking for Turbocharging a carburetted version the setup time and trial errors are a lot more than a setup for a fuel injected vehicle. On point that hasnt been covered well in the article that I have pointed to above is the issue of making the complete intake structure airtight to retain the pressure.
Old 27th August 2004, 23:32   #4
BHPian

even try howstuffworks, I just printed a huge collection of techincal article on their website for my weekend reading..good stuff..i think it does reduce the life, but it depends..are you really going to keep the car that long, it all depends on you, if you are going to drive the car to the grounds, then probably dont think about it, but if 100,000miles is all, you can easily disregard the life factor i think..
Old 28th August 2004, 00:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was advised not to put a TC on my Lancer.He said,the indian lancer is not meant to take that.U might just get ur engine screwed......Guess he was right.

Do any of u guys know bout which Indian car is best suited for the turbo?
Old 28th August 2004, 02:11   #6
BHPian

Well, it used to be the VTEC... I think Overdrive had covered a guy from Bangalore who had TC'd his with no problems. Used a Garrett from e-bay (seriously). If you really wanna do it, only the VTEC can handle it. It's been done.
And the dude's advice is good, the "Hindustani" Lancer really isn't WRC-spec. You'll probably end up with one very expensive broken engine on a luxury car.
Heck, even if you don't wanna do it, get a VTEC anyway

--oversteer--
Old 28th August 2004, 12:43   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I think Overdrive had covered a guy from Bangalore who had TC'd his with no problems. Used a Garrett from e-bay (seriously). If you really wanna do it, only the VTEC can handle it. It's been done.
I think you are talking about Autocarindia's coverage of Neville Poonawalas Turbo Honda City. Its not from Bangalore but keeps shuttling between Bombay and Pune. He did get the garrett off the Ebay. Smashed the 8 second barrier for a 0 - 100 run.

The car is parked everyday at the Siddhivinayak Petrol Pump (Prabhadevi, Mumbai).

GTO
Old 28th August 2004, 13:20   #8
BHPian

there are various turbochrgers available like kkk ,hks in the market they are made to be custom fitted to various cars but make sure u fit it from some expirienced guy or u'll ruin ur money ,fun and the car.
Old 28th August 2004, 22:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is this the tuned Vtec u talkin bout oversteer???//

And GTO,r u talkin bout the Green Vtec with a small bonnet vent???
Old 31st August 2004, 18:45   #10
BHPian

Brother GTO, I ain't arguing with you... If it's green, then that's the one I'm talking about. Article in transit, will confirm once I get my hands on it.
Hey X, this ain't the one but she's hot, too!!! That was a green VTEC, looked all stock except the punk-a** intercooler was showing through the lower grille

--overSteer--
Old 31st August 2004, 19:00   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]And GTO,r u talkin bout the Green Vtec with a small bonnet vent???
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Brother GTO, I ain't arguing with you... *If it's green, then that's the one I'm talking about. Article in transit, will confirm once I get my hands on it.
Cann the articles. Heres some exclusive coverage from Team-BHP.

Yes, its the green City. If I remember correctly, its a regular 1.5 not a Vtec.

GTO
Old 31st August 2004, 21:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Now this is kinda off topic. But, where exactly are superchargers used i.e. is it ideal for cruising cars, or is it used for racing etc. Turbos are usually used for rally cars right??
Old 4th September 2004, 03:29   #13
BHPian

Yepp, GTO, that's the one. Hats off to you folks... BTW, I'm planning to take the next week off to devour the *LOADS* of info at TBHP
Shravan, check out this link about the diff between turbo's and super's. Turbos are used on high-performance (not necessarily rally, the first turbocharged engine was on a Porsche) cars because they offer, well, high performance. Also leads to better fuel ignition... and our TATAS and ASHOK LEYLANDS have 'em, too!!!

Another thing: similar to what you see in the pics above, the "poor man's turbo" is quite popular in our country: folks slit open the hood and extend the air intake outside, the logic being that at high speeds, oncoming air will be forced into the engine, achieving a turbo-like effect (dunno if it's actually effective. Looks cool, though).
Old 4th September 2004, 04:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (oversteer @ Sep. 04 2004,01:59)]folks slit open the hood and extend the air intake outside, the logic being that at high speeds, oncoming air will be forced into the engine
Hey oversteer,

I believe this is also known as a "ram air".
And ram air kits are available for a lot of cars.

cya
R
Old 4th September 2004, 11:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm just wondering, has Naville done anything to his drivetrain, clutch and suspenssion. How does one decide how much power his car is capable of handling?

Making a car powerful is not that easy, if the mechanical parts aren't able to cope up with the increase in power and torque, you might end up spoiling the car all together.

My guess is, anythig more than 130bhp on the City, might require some parts to be upgraded.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks