Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

I learned the 10-2 position, but now use only 12 with single handed, I harldy need both hands for steering. I've driven this style in Ghats & mild hills & found no inconvenience. IMHO, 10-2 position is the best.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:28   #62
BHPian

10-2 was advised when we all started learning to drive on old Ambys. Lack of power steering on those cars could have been a reason for that so that one could be getting maximum momentum on turns etc if hands are in that position. If you notice on heavy vehicles etc, though the drivers usually rest their hands at 3 position, at turns etc you can see their hand automatically moving to 10-2 for utilising the maximum turn that could be achieved from the sreeting wheel.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
If you notice on heavy vehicles etc, though the drivers usually rest their hands at 3 position, at turns etc you can see their hand automatically moving to 10-2 for utilising the maximum turn that could be achieved from the sreeting wheel.
Hey you're right, I've been holding at 3 or 4 position subconsciously. Here's where I hold.
Driving Position / Where to hold the steering wheel!-wagonr_dashboard.jpg
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hey you're right, I've been holding at 3 or 4 position subconsciously. Here's where I hold.
Attachment 335663
Incidentally, same position for me also. I hold the steering of Alto (powered) from here only and when i drive the PP S1(fiat) i hold at the 12-1 position. Though very hard to move the car (fiat) with one hand i manage to do so.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:31   #65
BHPian

I agree with aargee. That is the position where I hold as well while steering single-handed. With both hands, I usually may use one several choices, which range from 9-3, 8-2, 10-4 etc.

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:44   #66
BHPian

The most comfortable position in city drive for me is Right Hand at 3pm with the elbow on the window sill and the Left Hand on the gear.
For a highway drive, its a 10-2 which suits me best.

Amit
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Though 8-4 is a comfortable grip, that is not suggested as its difficult to take turn.
While taking a turn one should never ever slide the steering from side to side (as one slip can result in danger), bit instead practice hand over hand type of turning. That requires a 10-2 grip.
You fail the driving test if you do a slide-between-your-palms type of turning.
I saw the link below (refer post no. 59), in which gd1418 says that he failed a part of his driving test in UK because he crossed his arms over while turning !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...osition-4.html

Boy, am I confused now

Personally, in addition to feeling lesser body roll, I also find the 8 - 4 position more relaxing for my shoulders and hands, as they have better support. I do not face any problems while turning
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I saw the link below (refer post no. 59), in which gd1418 says that he failed a part of his driving test in UK because he crossed his arms over while turning !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...osition-4.html

Boy, am I confused now

Personally, in addition to feeling lesser body roll, I also find the 8 - 4 position more relaxing for my shoulders and hands, as they have better support. I do not face any problems while turning

Yes - crossing ones arms is another failure point. Effectively that locks your arms and leaves you in a vulnerable position unable to make suddesn changes.

Hands-over-hands is not like that - difficult to demonstrate without a steering wheel you see!

My first driving instructor taught me how to smoothly turn and weave around the car using hand over hand, avoiding the sudden jerks that come with 'pass-the-steering-from-one-hand-to-another' type of turns.
Old 1st April 2011, 14:16   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Position / Where to hold the steering wheel!

Here's my position (sorry to revive an old thread, but I accidentally posted this in a new thread without realizing it was already here)

Car: M800
Steering: Non-powered, two spoke
Two-Handed Position: 10-2
One-handed position: 2

Car: Santro
Steering: Hydraulic assist, three spoke
Two-handed position: 10-3
One-handed position: 3
Old 17th July 2012, 19:23   #70

A cop I know was once fiddling with the in-car computer with his right hand while driving the car with his left hand at 12.When the distracted police officer smashed into a stopped car, the force of the airbag deployment flung his hand back into his face, and he broke out his front teeth with his own hand.

That, my friends, is why you don't drive with a hand at 12 o'clock. The 10 and 2 position, once the common wisdom of driver's ed classes, is also dead (or at least it should be) thanks to airbags.

From here...
4 things you didn't learn in driver's ed - Yahoo! Autos

Last edited by insipid.insane : 17th July 2012 at 19:29.
Old 31st August 2018, 09:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Why ‘8o’clock - 4o’clock’ is safest for highway driving.

Quote:
If you are a diligent motorist holding the steering wheel in the 10o’clock - 2o’clock or 9o’clock - 3o’clock positions just the way your driving school instructor taught you, you could at risk of fatigue and potentially greater harm in an accident.
Quote:
In a study, published in the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Sensors journal, IIT Madras scientists have concluded that during long-distance drives, holding the steering wheel in the 8o’clock - 4o’clock position causes the least risk of muscle fatigue and other injuries to drivers.
Article Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65601725.cms
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 15:02   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

The perfect Driving position as per Jaguar!

volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 07:23   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Award-Winning Origo Steering Wheel Concept

Quote:
That's the motivation behind this space-age-looking steering wheel. Called the Origo Steering Wheel concept, it was designed by a Finnish-based consortium with the goal of keeping drivers' hands on the wheel at all times. It combines familiar, tactile, three-dimensional touch surfaces on the steering wheel in easy reach of thumbs. These surfaces can be connected to a wide variety of smart controls in the vehicle, allowing the driver to do everything from adjusting climate settings to activating turn signals and more complicated features that would normally require a touchpad – all without letting go of the wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks