Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:50   #61
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Finished 4th service today. It's nearly a year that I've been living my dream and boy am I loving it or what. Every kilometer of the 7000 odd km it has run is absolute bliss. Nothing to complain about barring a small niggle. Unfortunately I am facing rodent trouble in my parking. Since the car was unused for a good 10 days, during my business tour, the rat had merrily chewed on the wiper washer rubber tube. This required replacement which was done during the service...

Have myself suffered from the same - Rodents I tell you! The last time I recollect, they chewed off some part of the engine wiring due to which, my Esteem was all jumpy like a cart when accelerated.Though, all it took was a few 100 bucks to fix but, precaution is better than cure . Happened to raise this quandary with a friendly cab-driver and he suggested that Tobacco drives away rodents(!). Or, RatKill tablets may also solve the purpose. Placed these RatKill tabs in the bonnet of my car and since then, haven't had a recurrence of this subject. Do let us know what you do/ did in this regard.

-Shivang
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:20   #62
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Hi Arup, bumped quite late into your thread; Congratulations on getting your dream fulfilled. A nice crisp write up.

I also bought my ANHC SMT in September 2011; have done 17500 km till now.

Have you thought about shifting to synthetic oil ?
Thanks breezydrive. Been quite silent on my threads recently. Actually there's hardly much to report, the City continues to work effortlessly and equally silently. No complaints anywhere.

Haven't quite given it a thought on synthetic oil but quite a few veteran users have shifted. Probably will think it over by Mar 13, by which time its 6 monthly service will be due. If you have moved to synthetic do give me some feedback


Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I would like to know from other ANHC owners where they find the low end grunt of City lacking compare to any other vehicle they might be owning.
abs182, this is new to me. I honestly have never felt the lack of low end torque, but that may be because I'm not a signal drag racer. In fact in B2B traffic, I tend to avoid accelerating and let the clutch take it own course. Works best for me.

Though I remember taking off from a signal a few months back and it was a breeze never felt the need for low end torque.

As you said maybe others can opine.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:44   #63
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
In my 2.5 years of ownership of the City I believe that in fact the city lacks low end torque and thus sometimes makes city driving cumbersome.
========
I would like to know from other ANHC owners where they find the low end grunt of City lacking compare to any other vehicle they might be owning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
...
abs182, this is new to me. I honestly have never felt the lack of low end torque, but that may be because I'm not a signal drag racer. In fact in B2B traffic, I tend to avoid accelerating and let the clutch take it own course. Works best for me.

Though I remember taking off from a signal a few months back and it was a breeze never felt the need for low end torque.

As you said maybe others can opine.

Perfectly agree with you, Arup! I know I am drawing uncanny comparisons to my current car (still in the process of buying a new one which in all probability will be an ANHC and then we'll be even) here however, I found my experience of driving the ANHC exactly akin to my Esteem's, strictly from the acceleration standpoint. Overall road manners and brakes is something which ANHC leads by leaps and bounds for obvious reasons. But, I am no speed racer either and maybe, that's where the difference in contrasting experiences lies in.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:07   #64
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Perfectly agree with you, Arup! I know I am drawing uncanny comparisons to my current car (still in the process of buying a new one which in all probability will be an ANHC and then we'll be even)
Good to know there exists a few brave men in today's world eager to be a petrol head. This is indeed becoming a rare breed indeed. While you are at it, out of curiosity are you considering the CNGed ANHC or is it a pure unadulterated vtec that interests you. Which dealer are you speaking to?

Do let us know. Been long that I've seen a City in the "Car..I booked" thread. Good Luck with your hunt.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:32   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baroda
Posts: 176
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post

abs182, this is new to me.
========
As you said maybe others can opine.
Well I feel so maybe because the engine sizes are different and may be my driving styles gotten adapted over the years to the Corolla but I have experienced that the City has less low end torque which helps in traffic conditions to fillin those gaps and squeeze yourself into a space quickly in crawling city traffic. I constantly finding myself revving more than what I would require in my corolla than in my City. But more views on the same would help me to get by basics right about low end torque
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:49   #66
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Good to know there exists a few brave men in today's world eager to be a petrol head. This is indeed becoming a rare breed indeed. While you are at it, out of curiosity are you considering the CNGed ANHC or is it a pure unadulterated vtec that interests you. Which dealer are you speaking to?

Do let us know. Been long that I've seen a City in the "Car..I booked" thread. Good Luck with your hunt.

I will be looking particularly at the pure-blood vtec primarily, as my annual running doesn't warrant a CNG/ Diesel and the CNGed City is only available on the topmost V trim.

For some reason, an alternate(other than petrol) fuel powered car just doesn't go down with me. But, that's just to me and nothing our fellow mates should get offended by.

With a strict budget and the current car to be sold, i was eyeing the Corporate variant which is sheer VFM and would enable my entry into Honda territory. Have been speaking to almost all dealers however, found Solitaire to be the most co-operative and interested to sell. Apex comes a close second. Can you please help me out with any contacts whom i can contact and get a neat deal? Thanks.


-Shivang
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:59   #67
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

I am also eyeing for ANHC Corporate. Please inform me any current offers and discounts going on now.

OTR price (Navi Mumbai Passing) for
Corporate is 8.29 Lakh (Minus the discount of 21K insurance)
E-MT - 9.02 Lakh
V-MT - 10.18 Lakh
V-MT CNG - 10.90 Lakh

I am planning to go for Corporate and will install CNG kit (another 50k), I am aware that warranty will be voided but at the same time I want to ask you, is it really any warranty claim happens in this proven car within 2 years?
AGP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:12   #68
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
I am also eyeing for ANHC Corporate. Please inform me any current offers and discounts going on now.

OTR price (Navi Mumbai Passing) for
Corporate is 8.29 Lakh (Minus the discount of 21K insurance)
E-MT - 9.02 Lakh
V-MT - 10.18 Lakh
V-MT CNG - 10.90 Lakh

I am planning to go for Corporate and will install CNG kit (another 50k), I am aware that warranty will be voided but at the same time I want to ask you, is it really any warranty claim happens in this proven car within 2 years?

I was in talks with a multi - brand car dealer and they offered Free Insurance along with a 10000 Cash + 4500 Corporate Discount. This was without any haggling. I guess, further bargaining would have led to some basic accessories being thrown in as well for free (read mudflaps, body cover and the likes). However, Apex, Solitaire etc. were offering only Free insurance.

Though, I am not sure if going this route would be a wise thing to do, as in case of any issues in the future, the big dealers would we worried about any negative publicity to their brand value and would co-operate. The same might not apply to these multi - brand car dealers who may act non-chalant in case any problems do come up.

Anyone who can advice if it's secure buying from a multi -brand car dealer?
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:29   #69
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
But more views on the same would help me to get by basics right about low end torque
When you say low end torque, do you find the response sluggish from pick itself? Do you upshift early? I am just trying to speculate so don't get me wrong. Ideally try up shifting around 2500rpm, this is where I do it and I don't get low end torque trouble.

As far as I know, the peak torque occurs post 2500rpm right to the red line in the ANHC. If you upshift early the subsequent fall in rpm would make the car sluggish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
With a strict budget and the current car to be sold, i was eyeing the Corporate variant which is sheer VFM and would enable my entry into Honda territory. Have been speaking to almost all dealers however, found Solitaire to be the most co-operative and interested to sell. Apex comes a close second. Can you please help me out with any contacts whom i can contact and get a neat deal? Thanks.
Shivang, the corporate variant is the best VFM and it allows you completely customize the same overtime. I had bought my two Honda's from Apex Honda (Santacruz) Know the sales manager pretty well. You can speak with Chandan and give him my reference. Do bargain hard and stick to your quote. They do buckle. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
I am planning to go for Corporate and will install CNG kit (another 50k), I am aware that warranty will be voided but at the same time I want to ask you, is it really any warranty claim happens in this proven car within 2 years?
AGP, I've never heard any member complain about Honda engines atleast in their 4-5 years of ownership. So yes reliability in unquestionable. But since you plan to install a CNG kit that will definitely void the warranty. If you get the installation done at a reputed place, unlikely that you will face issues even in 5 years of ownership.

Alternatively you can opt to wait for 2 years and then go the CNG way, or even go pre-worshiped. Under normal circumstances it is unlikely that you'd need to make warranty claim but if an unfortunate circumstances arise be prepared. Parts are not exactly cheap.

If I were you, I opt for pre-worshiped Civic and then fit it with CNG. There are many good samples available in the market.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 16:16   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baroda
Posts: 176
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

^^^^ I guess thats what is my issue is. I upshift early. Guess a habit which has been developed over the years and more because of the corolla which lets you do so effortlessly. I guess thats wht reason why I don't get the low end grunt I seek. Will have to alter my driving method for the City I guess.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 20:37   #71
BHPian
 
balenopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 909
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
In my 2.5 years of ownership of the City I believe that in fact the city lacks low end torque and thus sometimes makes city driving cumbersome. The lack of low end torque I'm referring to is only in respect of the Corolla I own as that car has a near perfect low end torque response and thus for low speed driving in the city corolla is the preferred car for me. Nevertheless I find the highway manners of City much better than my corolla which believes in threatening you with its flimsy handling and body roll if you request her to go above 110-120

I would like to know from other ANHC owners where they find the low end grunt of City lacking compare to any other vehicle they might be owning.

Since i have just switched from Baleno which had terrific low and mid range to the City, i haven't noticed a drastic difference in the low end torque. In fact after driving quite a few hatches and City competitors, the City's low end feels quite good. Just make sure your basics like the air filter, spark plugs and clutch are in good order. These or perhaps something else could be the bane of your poor low end response.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 11:04   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baroda
Posts: 176
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Since i have just switched from Baleno which had terrific low and mid range to the City, i haven't noticed a drastic difference in the low end torque. In fact after driving quite a few hatches and City competitors, the City's low end feels quite good. Just make sure your basics like the air filter, spark plugs and clutch are in good order. These or perhaps something else could be the bane of your poor low end response.
Thanks for your inputs balenopower my car though regularly goes through the 5k service at the Honda workshop so I don't suspect a mechanical issue. May be I just should be ok with idea of revving the it till 2500 before upshifting which I rarely have to do in my Corrola which can pull effortlessly from under 2000 rpm even in the 4th gear so I guess my driving style might need a tweak.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:42   #73
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Post monsoons hadn't really had a chance to pamper my ride. It had accumulated quite some grime and mud which warranted a two day spa treatment. Followed the usual steps

Day 1

a) First up let water run freely over the car to get rid of all loose dust and grime. I know a lot of people would disagree with me here and urge me to use the Jopasu Duster to clean loose dust. According to me this works best if the car is cleaned regularly. However if there's a lot of dust and grime accumulated then water helps loosen it instead of them sticking to jopasu duster

b) Next up a nice ONR wash

c) Claying - Been using Mother's clay but it seems to stick to the body if the lubrication has dried up. Need to switch to Megs but will have to wait until this gets over

d) Dura Gloss Total Performance Polish - I've been looking out for a paint sealant for quite some time but pricing and unavailability of Black Fire, Klasse or Wolfwang forced me to try Duragloss. Must say I'm impressed with the result (so far). Used an applicator pad to spread this evenly, allowed it to haze and buffed it part by part. This requires curing time of 10-12 hours.

Day 2

Dusted the car with jopasu followed up with Collinite 845. This gives you the necessary shine and gloss. The key to this wax is applying it thin, and letting it dry to a haze before removal. Few people even like to top this up with carnauba paste wax on top of it to amp up the shine and provide even more protection but that's over cooking it for me.

Enough said..let the pictures do the talking. Upfront sorry for the poor pic quality. Had nothing but my old 1.3MP Blackberry at my disposal.

Honda City - Live your dream-1.jpg

Honda City - Live your dream-2.jpg

Honda City - Live your dream-3.jpg

Honda City - Live your dream-4.jpg
arup.misra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:59   #74
BHPian
 
MetalBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai, Florida
Posts: 457
Thanked: 254 Times
Thumbs up Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Arup, a job well done! I, too am a fan of DIY jobs like these however, stick to Formula 1 wax. Do you mind sharing the cost of Collinite 845 and where you procured it from? Have heard/ read some excellent reviews about it here as well as from people around.

The wheels look like new mate!! What did you use for those? And, as you already mentioned, the pics seriously don't do justice to the beautiful ride which has been painstakingly beautified all the more. Closely glued to this for any further updates as well.

Also, did you say a 1.3 MP camera. High time for a new phone for us to get more beautiful shots! . Cheers!
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 20:00   #75
BHPian
 
arup.misra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 651
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Do you mind sharing the cost of Collinite 845 and where you procured it from?

The wheels look like new mate!! What did you use for those? !

Thanks MetalBuff. DIY is great for your wallet and passion but not so good for the arms

I had got most of my kit in Aug 2011 so in all honesty don't remember the pricing. Most of the kit is sourced from Sanjay. Found him to be most reasonable and prompt delivery.

I would suggest start accumulating ONR, clay, paint sealant and then collinite in that order. You would need it to maintain you new car. For the wheels I use Meguiars Hot Shine Foam. You can get this from any 3M car care. Got mine for Rs 500. Has lasted me for over a year now and still a lot left.

O.T - New phone is definitely coming. Toss up between the i5 and Nexus 4
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD Thar4x4 4x4 Vehicles 163 7th October 2017 07:20
Your Dream Car / Dream Garage tsreekaranrao The International Automotive Scene 130 29th May 2015 22:13
Honda launches updated Shine, Dream Yuga, Dream Neo and Dio Aditya Motorbikes 1 26th March 2015 11:38
Drive to Live, Live to Drive.. Auto_Bot Introduce yourself 3 13th November 2012 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks