Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:23   #1
BHPian

My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Introduction - Ok so here goes. It’s been a while since we’ve got the car but I’ve just been caught up with all sorts of stuff be it my education or the family work we have. I also deliberately took a little while because I wanted to drive my car for a little bit before I wrote this review, also the fact that i swapped my 2013 model for a 2014 so it made sense to update the thread with the newer one. There was no fault in the previous car what-so-ever just that the difference wasn’t much and the fact that I would make it up in re-sale if I ever consider selling it at a later date (Which I doubt I will)

Background – So I live in the Chandigarh Tri-city and like most Punjabi’s my family and I are very fond of our cars. The first time I laid my eyes on the Pajero Sport I wasn’t very impressed to be truthful. I liked how it looked but was apprehensive because it was the first different sportier looking SUV to be sold by Mitsubishi in India also that it was the same platform as the triton pick-up I wasn't very sure about the performance. You can call us Mitsubishi fans because it started with the lancer in 2000 which still hasn’t aged over the years and if compared to the first model Honda City it's not aged at all.

Since both my Grandfathers were in the IPS they had a series of ambassadors be it official or personal then came the contessa which was the first one in Chandigarh apart from the dealer’s own. So when Mitsubishi collaborated with HM in India the lancer was an instant choice. Which was followed by 2 Pajero Glx’s in 2007 (a silver and white and black and white) , the new shape Montero in 2008 again one of the first batch of 4 in Chandigarh and the only white at that time. It used to take them 6 months to get you one as it was a direct import from Japan. Over the years apart from Mitsubishis we bought an Optra for city use in 2007, an 2 Innova’s in 2006 which replaced the 2 Qualis’s, Apart from that a safari TDCI in 2004 and the safari Dicor in 2006 or 07 which came after the Tata Sierra in 1995, a Marshal in 2003, 2 Bolero’s in 2009 a VLX storme for personal use and a Slx for field work now the other additions to the fleet are two Nano’s (A yellow Lx and A white Lx twist) the company car’s can be given a skip for a later time.

So here you can understand there wasn’t any need of any car but I needed a replacement to my fortuner. Yes the world has gone Gaga over it and especially in India there’s been a crazy demand for it. Probably because of Toyotas brand image and also the lack of worthy options. I wont go further because like most posts it ll turn into a fortuner vs Pajero Sport debate. I had a crash in mine it saved my life but what disappointed me was the horrid after sales and the poor workmanship in the body and paint section of the dealership in Mohali. Apart from the unnecessary attitude by the service manager which later resulted him in being fired later on. Being the first 2012 refreshed model I enjoyed the car in its prime but now sadly being so common the exclusivity factor is next to zero.

Decision - So when it came in and there was no urgency of a vehicle so I decided to wait and watch. I took my silver pajero for it’s 70,000 km service and went to have a look at the Pajero Sport which helped me get motivated to convince the family. The need was obviously in question but the fact that these cars have never failed us (touchwood) and we’ve been very happy with their performance helped me convince them and we went ahead and booked it. My Dad swears by his Pajero which helped give it the final push we needed.
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-498.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-566.jpg

Colour – We’ve never been fixed on any one colour in particular but we’re biased towards black always and for us when we compared both side by side none of us had a second thought. Yes it is difficult to maintain a black but you cant compare a shining black car with anything else. So black it was.My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1670.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1669.jpg

Model – Since there’s only one option the Manual Transmission 4X4 and even if there was an automatic or a 4X2. I’d still choose the 4X4 MT so happy with the model as well. There was an option of the anniversary edition which is basically a kit provided by Mitsubishi which is added onto a normal Pajero Sport to turn it into the Anniversary edition. There were basically 5 addtitions the two Din Music system, a rear spoiler, full body coloured bumpers, stickers and a rear view camera. So I decided to get everything of the kit but requested the stickers not to be added and I wanted to retain my MID which has various options such as the Fuel efficiency , Distance to empty, Barometer, Compass, Temperature, calendar, Clock etc. So that was added by a dashboard kit for the MID made especially for the PS in Thailand.

Exterior – The word Pajero as a child has always given me butterflies in my stomach maybe because in the 90’s the Pajero was “The” car to have. The first time I saw it I compared it to the older Pajero's I had and felt it was different and wasn’t a fan of it but the looks grew onto me. It is modernistic but still doesn’t loose the characteristics of a Pajero.

Interior – The quality of material used is good and worthy of a 25 lakh rupee SUV. The seats are of good leather unlike its major competitor the Fortuner of which the leather seats cracked within the first 6 months, the mix of colours the black and silver and beige and the wodden panels give it a nice and plush feeling when you’re on the inside, The buttons give you a feeling of being built to last and the doors close with a loud thud.

Engine - The Pajero sport comes with a 2500cc Engine which has ample power when you feel like pushing the car to its limits. The first time I got to know to be honest I was slightly disappointed because it would be lesser than the Fortuner which is a 3000 cc. When you compare both the cars on the sheet as well as back to back you realise that 500 extra cubic capacity doesn't mean that the car which is lesser doesn't perform as well. Here the Pajero sports 2.5 Litre engine has a maximum power output for 178Bhp @ 4000 rpm and the 3 litre Fortuner has a maximum power output of 169 Bhp @ 3600 rpm. A significant difference is when you drive both the cars at 100 the Fortuner is very noisy and the Pajero feels more relaxed.

Gearbox - The Gearbox is pretty smooth if you don't shift the gear correctly and bring it close to the red line you see some black smoke. I heard another owner who's a friend who said that since the service interval is 10,000 km sometimes the air filter gets choked if your car is used in dusty conditions. I've owned a lot of cars over the years and since the lancer in 2000 I've been a fan of Mitsubishi gearboxes. You can literally shift the gear with two fingers. It's been 20,000 km already and the drive just keeps getting better. Overall the drive is par excellence and have no complaints what-so-ever. One of the best SUVs money can get you this side of the 30Lakh mark.

Ride and Handling – This is something you never go wrong with while buying a Mitsubishi SUV. It absorbs bumps like they aren't there. Yes, SUV’s aren't meant for cornering at high speeds, but at high speeds the control you have over the vehicle is very confidence inspiring and the Pajero Sport feels grounded. Distances such as Chandigarh – Dharuhera – Chandigarh or Delhi updown which is 650-700 km a day you don’t feel the journey like you feel in other cars. Hence it checks my boxes on that department. Offroad the vehicle cant fail you if you’re a good driver the approach and departure angles are good and I haven’t been able to scrape the underbelly even a single time due to its good ground clearance.

Seating – Yes it is called a 7 seater but you can easily fit 6 in full comfort and 8 with a little tight fit. It has roof mounted AC vents so even the one’s at the back can sit without having to bear the heat. Leg space is good I am above 6 feet and the person behind me is never short of space. The driver seat is electrically adjustable and and others are manual but height adjustment is present only for the driver. The driving position is good and you get a good view from the top which leads to a comfortable drive in general. Getting in and out is easy you can slide in and otherwise use the foot step which is more usuable compared to the older Pajero’s.

Super- Select 4X4 – A 4X4 is a must due to the fact that the foundation we have near Faridabad gets all muddy and slippery when it rains so a good 4X4 is always needed. The fact that you engage and disengage the 4X4 without having to stop is a convienent as well as a safety feature of sorts because in rains when the visibility is already low stopping on the road to shift to 4 wheel drive isn’t the most sensible thing to do. You can shift into 4X4 from 4X2 or vice versa without having to come to a standstill. It is an excellent mechanism and has been the same since the older Pajero’s guess its best to have something which is tried and tested over the years.

Fuel Efficiency – Well the maximum its given me is around 12.2 km/l and lowest od about 8.5 from tankful to tankful. A normal mixture of highway and city it gives me around 10.8-11 which is pretty decent for a 2 tonne SUV. I don’t push my car too hard but yes once a while when the weather and driving conditions I don’t mind clipping high speeds with it. I run it at company recommended tyre pressure which is 29 in front and 32 at the back.

Car registeration & Number – I got my car registered in Chandigarh which is a respected number in and around neighbouring states and also commands a re-sale premium of 10-15 %. I am slightly superstitious about the numbers and also fancy a good number on my cars. Hence got 0024 in the Chandigarh Vip number auction. It is mandatory to fit new cars with the High security number plates so got that done as well.

Dealership -Premier motor garage Chandigarh –T he best Mitsubishi dealerships I’ve seen so far. They are the most co-operative and genuine dealer’s of any company I’ve seen right from the staff to the owner’s who are available all the time and help in readdressal of any problem faced by you which is a thing not common today. Probably one of the reasons why we’ve bought so many Mitsubishi's over the years. People rave about Toyota after sales I do the same about Mitsubishi. Of late I heard they had opened a Patiala dealership which I later learned that Mitsubishi terminated and gave it someone else and now is giving the Chandigarh dealership to someone else as well. I guess Mitsubishi doesn't want people to be happy with their dealer and the only good ones they terminate. They make amazing cars but if they loose good dealers like this I don’t know what future the company has.

Delivery – The car was booked and delivered as promised. A good briefing was given as to the features and service intervals and all the usual information. A bouquet along with chocolates and sweets were presented to my sister who was the happiest in the family about the car after which she drove it out of the showroom and back home.
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1671.jpg

Accessories fitted
1). Kenwood Music system as part of the Anniversary Edition,
2). Body coloured spoiler as part of the Aniversary edition,
3). Full Body coloured Bumpers,
4). Rubber floor mats and
5). The MID with the dashkit.

Pros (+)
Exclusivity factor,
Excellent on and off-road,
Super Select 4X4 ability to shift in and out of 4x4 while in motion,
Comfortable seats no signs of a back ache even on long journeys,
Brand image in terms of the legendary Pajero name,
Sportier looking than Most SUV’s and exclusive compared to its direct competition,
Built to last gives you a solid feeling,
Feels grounded at high speeds,
Excellent after sales by my local dealer,
AC Chills in a matter of minutes and
Long service duration of 10,000 km.

Cons (-)
Slight turbo lag and black smoke when you push the car hard in low gears,
Steering feels heavier than the previous pajero ( Not necessarily a bad thing )
Lack of headlamp washers,
No automatic version for those who prefer automatics and
Since it has plastic bumpers succetable to scratches in busy cities as well as going offroading.
Other than that its a gem of a car and it gets you hooked.

Head turner - It turns heads and makes a few jealous as well because I went for class one day and when I came back my car had scratches on the hood and my door done deliberately by a pathetic goof hence that was a contributing factor to swap my 2013 model for a 2014 one. Any ways all sorts make the world and you have to live with such people also.

Now Let the Pictures Do the talking
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1900.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1899.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-1929.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-4073.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-4074.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-4077.jpg

Both the present Pajero's Side by side
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-789.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-779.jpg
My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imrans-iphone-5-782.jpg

Would be glad to provide any further information. It's my first thread on team-bhp so pardon me for the mistakes if any.

Also planning a trip to Srinagar- Dras - Kargil - Leh - Pangong in a week or ten days will update the thread with all the photographs and information. We're taking both the Pajero's will keep updating it from time to time.

My cars already done nearly 19000km in less than 5 months will be taking it for its 3rd service tomorrow before I take it for the Jammu- Sringar - Dras - Kargil - Leh - Pangong trip. I chose to get it done in advance rather than overshooting the service because it should be a 3500-4000 km trip

Best Wishes
Imran

Last edited by Aditya : 5th June 2014 at 11:40. Reason: Mention of high speeds
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 15:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Black Beast - 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th June 2014, 18:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. I love this car. Can you show me how you installed the Double DIN as well as the MID. The anniversary edition omits the MID and gives you the double DIN. Where did you get the dashboard kit to fit the MID from? I assume the original wiring harness for the MID has been maintained.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th June 2014 at 18:24.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 20:03   #4
BANNED

Congratulations Your black brute has brought back childhood memories of me yearning to own a Mitsubishi SUV. I was also a little disappointed with the Paj Sport's styling but it quickly grew on me and I cannot imagine recommending another SUV in that segment to anyone.

Nice to see a thread here in t-bhp too. Such cars are rare on the roads and that makes it even rarer to see ownership threads on a forum

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 07:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, you have so many cars and still have place for this one in your heart

Please post some pictures of the interiors also and yes the travelogue and the write-up on how the vehicles fared on some of the most challenging roads in the world

The old Pajero still holds its ground next to the new one. I think this is the first time that Mitsubishi have gone the Toyota way and based the Pajero on a pick-up platform, the Old Pajero and Montero were stand-alone models as far as I know
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Congratulations Imran. I myself am awaiting the delivery of my fortuner 4x4. I have respect for both the vehicles as both are excellent vehicles with their own plus and minus points.

Wish you a long and happy stint with your new vehicle.

Asif
TorquePeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:12   #7
BHPian

I liked reading your post Imran. It's nice to see a write-up about Mitsubishi, a rarity now.
I know a few who swear by Mitsubishi, I do too. I drive a 99 Lancer which has clocked 198000km on the odo and still runs like new!

I took a test drive on the Pajero Sport 2 weeks ago soon after testing the Isuzu MU7, below are my thoughts -
What I liked about the Isuzu - very spacious, comfortable seats, above average ride quality
What I didn't like about the Isuzu - average interiors, very spongy gear shift, steering wheel lacked feedback, the engine seemed rough when revved high, engine noise levels in cabin didn't impress, ample body roll.

What I LOVED about the Pajero - very refined engine, splendid "feel", shifter felt far better than the Isuzu's, nice steering response, I liked the clutch too. What bowled me over was the ride quality - this vehicle makes you feel potholes / bad patches on the road just didn't exist. Control switches/knobs on the dashboard ooze quality.
What I wish was better about the Pajero - seating space and leg room in the back seat are decent for 2 large adults, 3 would find it slightly uncomfortable.
Overall the Pajero Sport put a smile on my face and I walked away thinking this is one vehicle that is well put together, built well and the engine has loads of "character"!
Prozac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:29   #8
BHPian

Hi Imran,

Congrats for the black beauty.
Well you drove Pajero for quite some time so a change to say Fortuner or Audi would have been a good option as well.

You said, you wanted to retain MID, please elaborate as to how this can be changed ?

thanks
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Congrats Imran Ahmad Ali

The black Beast looks amazing, i looked at one of the white color Pajero sport this weekend at a car exhibition, and i was blown off with the way the interior looks, its simply amazing, also the driving seat position was very comfortable, the only concern which i felt was the last row it looked like it was placed very low and by the look of it , it seemed very uncomfortable, do you also feel that the last row is bit awkwardly placed ?
Slush_Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Imran on your new ride , i grew up with the older Pajero , one of the few which were floating around in the city at that point and i still remember , even thought i was kid , i was blown away with the build quality and the acceleration of that car. All the best again , have a great time!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Would be glad to provide any further information. It's my first thread on team-bhp so pardon me for the mistakes if any.
Congratulations!

Just one request, please provide regular updates over here.

Quote:
Also planning a trip to Srinagar- Dras - Kargil - Leh - Pangong in a week or ten days will update the thread with all the photographs and information. We're taking both the Pajero's will keep updating it from time to time.

My cars already done nearly 19000km in less than 5 months will be taking it for its 3rd service tomorrow before I take it for the Jammu- Sringar - Dras - Kargil - Leh - Pangong trip. I chose to get it done in advance rather than overshooting the service because it should be a 3500-4000 km trip

Best Wishes
Imran
And at least I am waiting for this log. Please carry a good camera, SD cards & spare battery
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:48   #12
BHPian

Congrats for the car! Really nice pictures and a wonderful writeup. Pajero does have a place in everyone hearts as correctly mentioned, in the 90's this was supposed to be the ultimate car. Its looking amazing in Black! Have many more wonderful miles with this black beauty.
P.S : Would be waiting for your updates on your trip Kashmir - leh trip.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:49   #13
BHPian

Congrats Bro! Quite an elegant look!. You could have also posted some pictures of the interiors as well :-)
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 14:35   #14
BHPian

Congratulations!! The car is an absolute stunner to look at. A sure shot head turner too. Nice to see an ownership thread on Mitsubishi. Rarely seen these days.
Please put up some interior pics as well. Would love to hear about the trip you did and your experiences with the car.
deoelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 15:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Imran,

Heartiest congratulations on owning the black brute. The colour really add a different characteristic to the car. The stance in one of the pics says "get aside or will run over you". The car does have a road presence and is a head turner for sure.

Heard that Mitsubishi's are costly to maintain. Whats the maintenance like on your earlier Pajero. Will be waiting for your travelogue thread.

Enjoy riding and taming the beast.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks