Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 11:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 (400 Nm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I like the way you pen down your experiences in your updates. Thank God that you (and your Storme) managed to pass the Moose test. I hope that I never have to take this test.

My Storme also developed the window(front passenger side) issue after being covered in snow for more than 40 hours in Manali. Though it does not get stuck completely and does not require any manual input, it still hesitates in going up all the way up. Will take it up with TASS whenever I am there.

Well just wait for some more time and it will completely get stuck like it did today on my way to Meerut.
I had asked the dealer to rectify this and this time I'm going to ask nothing short of a replacement of the linings. I'm irritated beyond measure!
First it gets stuck and then it rolls up to a position where it does not seal the window completely and there is a huge amount of wind noise.
Had to stop the car and guide the glass using both hands while my wife operated the window switch. Totally irritating.
Why with all their engineering they cannot solve such a trivial issue.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I literally did the Moose test on the road!
Absolutely bang on Sir; I can vouch for it having encountered a 'Half Moose' test (I'll elaborate) myself on my way back from Bhilai, on the NGP-HYD highway.

We were 3 adults with my 10 month old son and full luggage on board; this included 90 Kg worth rice sacks along with other usual suitcases and bags. I took care to distribute the weight evenly as much as possible. It was just after we'd lunch when near Adilabad, I was doing about 85-90 kmph and also had about 3-4 feet gap from the median, when I couldn't see a calf standing on the edge of the median (on my side of the highway) due to the high shrubs. I may have been 30-35 mtrs away when it suddenly decided to jump onto the road! My reflex made me swerve left, even before breaking, and I was able to miss it by few inches! Thankfully, there was no one behind as I literally went across one-half lanes!! The Storme held it's line beautifully with no sign of protest. I slowed down on the left lane and caught the calf hopping across the road on my ORVM; I didn't stop, but gathered myself and resumed driving.

This exp obviously was confidence inspiring as I only had a perception and some basic dos and donts of SUV driving to rely on, prior to getting my Storme. But, I guess, it really doesn't matter in such emergency real-world scenarios as all you've is your reflex to bank upon; it never crossed my mind that I was in an SUV (with high CG and weight) which then could've influenced my reflex. BD Sir and Tata's engineers do deserve all the credit here of managing to make the Storme as neutral handling as possible despite the fat kerb weight and inherent limitations of ladder-frame chassis So much, so that I feel less confident in my wife's EON than in my Storme at anything above 80 kmph!!
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 16:49   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Though it does not get stuck completely and does not require any manual input, it still hesitates in going up all the way up.
This is exactly what is currently happening to my friend's Storme and I experienced it today. It happened only on the driver's side window. It rolls up almost fully and then hesitates for a split second and then rolls up all the way.
Quote:
First it gets stuck and then it rolls up to a position where it does not seal the window completely and there is a huge amount of wind noise.
Yes, I too experienced wind noise from the front window/door at speeds above 80kmph and was not able to pin point the exact reason. He kept saying it is from the rear door which was not possible. Now I know.

Have you faced this in your older Safaris as well? You are a veteran and I guess you know the fix, a permanent one.
Old 17th January 2017, 20:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Have you faced this in your older Safaris as well? You are a veteran and I guess you know the fix, a permanent one.

Yes. Absolutely. All its life. And sadly there is no permanent solution other than constantly lubricating the small upright portion of the beading towards the front of the window.

No veteran can solve the problems of a safari. You have no idea how happy I am that the traditional problem of the Safari eating it's front right tire is now no more due to the new chassis and suspension.

But this time I'm going to really get after their life on this issue.

Just back from another fast up and down run from Dehradun to Meerut and back. Cruised calmly at 140 on the whole Muzaffarnagar bypass.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th January 2017 at 20:35.
Old 17th January 2017, 20:24   #65
BANNED

Quote:
And sadly there is no permanent solution other than constantly lubricating the small upright portion of the beading towards the front of the window.
Well, that kinda helps the other owners. How frequently does it need to be lubricated & what lubricant have you been using?

Quote:
You have no idea how happy I am that the traditional problem of the Safari eating it's front right tire is now no more due to the new chassis and suspension.

But this time I'm going to really get after their life on this issue.
I can understand.

Let's see if getting after their life comes results in a solution. Something that hasn't been resolved since 1998 actually needs to be looked into, at least after 18 long years.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 08:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that kinda helps the other owners. How frequently does it need to be lubricated & what lubricant have you been using?

I can understand.

Let's see if getting after their life comes results in a solution. Something that hasn't been resolved since 1998 actually needs to be looked into, at least after 18 long years.
I have tried and used a lot of products. Most of them unsuccessful. From coconut oil to deisel to silicon lubricant sprays to chain lubes. Right now it's Motul chain clean which is sort of working.

Problem with lubes is that they attract dirt and then the problem of glass sticking renews. Especially during the cold weather when almost all lubes thicken and have more dirt sticking to them.

So presently it's the chain clean. Let's see how many hours or days it lasts.
Old 19th January 2017, 10:04   #67
BANNED

Quote:
So presently it's the chain clean. Let's see how many hours or days it lasts.
But wont chain clean affect the rubber beading as well? Why not something like a WD-40 which dispenses moisture and lubricates?
Old 19th January 2017, 10:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But wont chain clean affect the rubber beading as well? Why not something like a WD-40 which dispenses moisture and lubricates?

Have tried WD40 as well. It looses its effects after a couple of days.
Modern chain clean doesn't affect rubber parts as it is meant for o-ring and x-ring chains with rubber seals.
This issue is tough as nails and is compounded by the dirt which accumulates.
Old 19th January 2017, 10:49   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Modern chain clean doesn't affect rubber parts as it is meant for o-ring and x-ring chains with rubber seals.
Ah, yes, had missed that point.
I was reading elsewhere that if they service centre adjusts the window channels, the glass then begins to move up and down smoothly. Is that true?
Old 19th January 2017, 11:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
And then there are irritating niggles like the front window glasses not able to roll up and then get stuck in the front portion and the glass has to be guided to roll it up properly. This was an issue in the last safari and is an issue in this one too!
Would it be possible for you to post a video of the glass getting stuck during operation? My car hasn't faced this till now, but you never know. It has already spent 2 weeks at service station in 4 months of ownership. And not all problems are resolved yet. I guess my car's issues need a thread of their own.

Quote:
And then the AC fan in the dash which works in recirculating mode making and irritating noise when operated at a slow speed on 1 or 2.
Maybe something is stuck in the A/C ducts. This should be easy to resolve for the service staff.
Old 29th March 2017, 21:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Well it seems the dream run is coming to an end with Tata for me. I'm yet again disappointed with the way they handle their AMC customers.

And this time I cannot blame the dealer. They are more than happy to help me out but the company seems to be back tracking on their own written accords.

All started today with me heading to the dealership for a routine service and some extra work.
Now if you refer to the Point No. "C" in the image attached below, Tata claims that if the vehicle is driven 50% of the time in heavy city traffic, it will need engine oil and oil filter change every 10k kms.
Regular intervals are at 20K kms. Even BD sir was categorically against the 20K kms oil change interval. Mineral oil just does not have the properties to last this long in our conditions.

So we have a Gold AMC for 3 years/60K Kms. for which we paid Rs.45K plus the mandatory 8K for the extended warranty.

Now I requested the first oil change at 10k kms after discussion with BD sir and it was approved instantly. Next at 20k kms. Again the service went smoothly and I was very happy and had great confidence instilled in my choice of vehicle, dealer and company.

Now today it was something very weird. The service advisor was more than happy to note all the work required for the car. But then came back to me to revert that on having a telephonic conversation with the Tata representatives, they have refused to honour the AMC and say that the oil changes at 10K kms will not be approved.

Now I remember that when these same Tata representatives had a discussion with me while purchasing the car categorically stated that all work to be done as per the Manual will be carried out in the AMC along with all wear and tear items barring the tires and battery.

I think I should have taken that statement on a Stamp Paper and gotten it registered as now this 10K kms oil change is additional as the conditions on use are not as per the company.

So the according to the company, one must NOT drive this vehicle in the city. This may be my daily drive but I am not allowed to drive it in the city traffic if I am to get my vehicle serviced under the AMC which I paid for Up front!

WOW!

I just hung my head today in disbelief that I made a mistake again in trusting this company. The dealership staff looked as helpless as I. I don't blame them now. When a company ties your hands like this how can one work and make customers happy.
I just sat in my car and drove out of the dealership informing the Customer Care Manager that when the company representatives are in a mood to service my car he can let me know and I will get it there. I have been very happy with the way he has been handling my car and complaints till now. but I am disappointed with the company.

I am just shocked by the way this has come to this day. If you see the whole thread I am all praises for the company as I was genuinely happy. Even now I am happy when I drive the 400, but today just ruined the wonderful time I was having with the car. Just ruined it!
I just want to say one thing, when some claims are made it is better to get them on papers.
This company like most in the country run on just a handful of helpful people. BD sir was one I held in the highest regard as he understood and talked basic common sense and I relied on him. Now with him gone, so has that common sense in the company gone for me. Too bad they now have just managers or as BD sir said, "Spread Sheet and Power Point Managers".
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 (400 Nm)-img_20170329_112440.jpg  

Last edited by navpreet318 : 29th March 2017 at 21:40.
navpreet318 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:08   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Navpreet - it's like this: Standard oil change interval is defined as 20k ( in your model) and 15k in ours. BUT: if you are doing more city runs, then they recommend additional change mid-way. The AMC terms are at Standard intervals only. This is the logic that they will use. We would try to go with max changes, but they will go for Standard intervals.

On a related note, does any AMC plan in India support / include mid-interval servicing ? ( I am Not referring to premium cars)

Last edited by condor : 29th March 2017 at 22:10.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:20   #73
Team-BHP Support

Rather than being disappointed, just pay up and get these consumables changed at your cost. I know you have paid a LOT for this AMC, but...well, don't really know what to say.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 22:55   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service advisor was more than happy to note all the work required for the car. But then came back to me to revert that on having a telephonic conversation with the Tata representatives, they have refused to honour the AMC and say that the oil changes at 10K kms will not be approved.
How much time does it take for you to get to the 10k mark? How much oil does it take as per the manual? Since it's mineral - from what I gather from your post, it might be a matter of 6-7k? I would say, for your own peace of mind, get it changed on your expense if they deny it. Doesn't even need to be at the ASC, can be done at any competent FNG.

Considering all their focus is now on the newer products, not even sure if they care about the old timers. I know it should not happen, but who knows what the internal directives are.

On one hand you have exemplary service stories on the Hexa thread, on the other, you read about this. Hard to imagine this is the same company.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 29th March 2017 at 22:57.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 23:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Yes ofcourse I would get it changed. Infact I would actually use an even better oil as I am distributor for Motul. It would any day be better than what these guys use.
My problem is not with the money involved. It is with the fact that they have yet again taken a customer for a ride. I have a problem in principle with these guys.
The thing should have been clear from the start. Our last safari with the 3.0L had oil changes every 5k kms bang on time for all of its 1.1L kms.
What is wrong is wrong. It does not matter if it's 6k or Rs.6.
But then now it just does not matter anymore as Tata is a lost cause for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks