Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 21:21   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 14
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Hi Lamdaplus,

I will be doing a very similar trip in another 15 days. You mentioned its best to avoid the autobahns and motorways to enjoy the real beauty. Can you please help me know how to take care that we do not enter the motorways and take to local and more scenic routes instead? Are there any signage for the same? Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
ankurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 07:12   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurdon View Post
Hi Lamdaplus,

I will be doing a very similar trip in another 15 days. You mentioned its best to avoid the autobahns and motorways to enjoy the real beauty. Can you please help me know how to take care that we do not enter the motorways and take to local and more scenic routes instead? Are there any signage for the same? Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Just get yourself a TomTom or equivalent GPS and select routes on it which avoid toll roads or motorways.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 08:57   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 14
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just get yourself a TomTom or equivalent GPS and select routes on it which avoid toll roads or motorways.
Thanks for the suggestion shankar. The issue is that I am on a really tight budget. To be honest I will not be able to buy one. Can I get one on rent for few days?
ankurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 17:01   #34
BHPian
 
lambdaplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

@ankurdon, sorry I was out of town!
Any navigation system including Google Maps will give an option to avoid toll roads or to choose non motorways. That should be enough to avoid toll roads.
There will be clear signs (blue color in Germany and Green in Swiss) when you are approaching an autobahn.
lambdaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 00:57   #35
BHPian
 
SuperBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 87
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurdon View Post
Thanks for the suggestion shankar. The issue is that I am on a really tight budget. To be honest I will not be able to buy one. Can I get one on rent for few days?
Hi ankurdon,

I hope i'm not too late in posting this.

You can also plan a trip via the webpage of viamichelin. It gives you all the possible roads, expected fuel costs and toll charges on these roads. It's a good tool to plan roadtrips here in Europe. Usually the Michelin recommended route is the one which is most scenic.

Though it is true that the real beautiful roads lie off the autobahns, these roads are very useful for covering long distances in a jiffy. We once did a marathon Amsterdam - Grossglockner(Austria) - Amsterdam run in 36 hours in a Honda Insight - possible only because of the high speed autobahns.

My suggestion is, decide on the roads you want to drive on, and use the autobahns to get to the required exits, spend quality time on the roads, and use the autobahns to get to the next selected road.

Let me know in case you need any more assistance, will be glad to help you out

Regards,
SuperBee
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi Quattro Advertisments n_aditya The International Automotive Scene 15 17th September 2009 13:00
I drove the 2007 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro! shadewalker Super-Cars & Imports in India 75 19th August 2007 13:34
2007 Audi TT Clubsport quattro Concept pawan The International Automotive Scene 3 20th May 2007 09:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks