Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2011, 12:19   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wanted to Walk Down the Memory Lane, but Walked on the Beach Instead!

Hmm, I wanted to add this info couple months back, but couldn't remember the name of the thread.

Now, parking has been banned on the Manipal main street, that is from tiger circle until the hotel management college. You can get ticketed, wheels locked, what not. Yes, they have offered a small muddy parking lot near that empty site next to green park, but that gets filled pretty early by hospital visitors.

In other words, there is no parking in Manipal. The shop keepers are the worst hit, the business must have more than halved depending only on walking customers. If I want to visit Hangyo or Snack-Shack for food, I can't on account of no parking. So I just order home delivery.

Meanwhile, shops outside of the main street are the raking in, like the ones on Parkala road. No wonder, I haven't done any shopping in Manipal main road since two months.
Old 24th September 2011, 12:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info!

Planning to visit Manipal with friends sometime in the beginning of November to commemorate 10 years of passing out !

Intend to stay in hostels this time and re-live the crazy life
Old 7th December 2011, 23:12   #63
BHPian

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Well, not really sorry. Couldn't help it since I'm also an MIT alumni, but ancient, being from the 1985 batch.

I'm actually surprised that I could still recognize a few locations in your photographs. What a great journey down memory lane. Manipal during our student days was a true global village with students from Iran, Malaysia, South Africa and of course, from all over India, with no overwhelming representation from any part of the country in particular. I still remember landing there for the first time and had a hard time believing that this place was in India. What an amazing place it was. It produced some amazingly successful alumni. I can count among my mates, Venture Capitalists, World Bank officials, numerous successful businessmen, Directors, Lawyers and such. The place injected you with a real worldly view that I haven't found really present among alumni from other notable institutions in India. To me personally, that was actually what made Manipal special. I directly attribute it to the incredibly diverse student body of those days.

Last time I visited the place was in 1998 and had a chance to take some seniors out to some place for drinks and food. Had a great time. I simply didn't get that feeling of diversity, though. It looked very much like another bustling Indian town where the regular grind seem to have reached it finally. A completely different place. I really felt sad at that change, felt like the magic was gone. Maybe, it's the rose tinted glasses that we tend use to view our past!!

Last edited by VLOCT : 7th December 2011 at 23:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks