Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 16:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This was a very good event and it was very fortunate that I could club it with official work. The place was very good and the Zapp family were very enthusiastic and friendly as ever. The food was excellent and people were in good spirit, as usual. Met a quite a few BHPians like Karl, Bulldogji, President, Amal Tanna...... to name a few.

I asked Herman Zapp how regularly does he changes oil and he says "I never change oil, you see she is leaking oil so I keep topping up"

Here is a picture

Thank you Harit and Amol for making it an excellent evening.

Cheers

KPS

Mr. Dussey even though you could not make it, your contribution did!
Thanks, KPS . though I could not come, I felt it is my duty to contribute for such an admirable cause, after all the Zap family and their Graham Paige do certainly deserve our help to see the expedition go on !
Old 11th April 2012, 11:26   #62
BHPian

Re: Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Pai

Amazing !! Amazing !!! Amazing !!!! I just god Zapped !! What a story. Like living the dream through the journey of the Zapp Family !! Great Family. Great Car. Great Story !!
To this amazing story and to the efforts put in by seniors for helping the family I bow down with respect.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

I have been told that Maraspand Dadachandji and Jehangir Bhoot have been doing a lot of work on the Graham Paige car, from their own resources. The windshield was replaced, flywheel worked on, covers made for the car and rear trunk, lots of other mechanical issues sorted out.
Mumbai has really done a lot for them, and still more is being done.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 11th April 2012 at 13:16.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 20:53   #64
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have been told that Maraspand Dadachandji and Jehangir Bhoot have been doing a lot of work on the Graham Paige car, from their own resources.
Cheers harit
Big for Maraspand & Jehangir. Great show Mumbai

Any pictures of the work done on the car?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 16:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Big for Maraspand & Jehangir. Great show Mumbai

Any pictures of the work done on the car?

Cheers

KPS
Here's a picture of Jehangir getting his hands dirty on the front Suspension of the Graham Paige. How lucky are the Zapps The car is now all set to take on the African continent.
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-photo-110412-6-14-40-pm.jpg  

the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 23:54   #66
BHPian

Equally inspiring to their adventure is how BHP members have contributed so much to their "Epic Journey". It's a privilege to be a member!

In reading their web-site what stands out is her comment that apart from seeing the World, it's all the people who have touched their lives and become an extended family that has enabled them to continue.

Wish the World would treat it's self and cherish the "Gift of Life" that has been bestowed upon us all as we make our "Journey of Life" and then carry only our deeds and relationships on to the next mysterious journey that awaits.

Don't think we will have cars to play with. But what wonderful memories!
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 16:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures of the car.
The cover was peovided by Maraspand, the wheel was off because new ADV tyres were to be fitted.
Flywheel was repaired, new kingpins fitted, and some brake work to be done. Jehangir worked very hard, needed to take some breaks for calls. And Hermann assisted him very ably, see how greasy he was.
Soon the car is expected to be loaded on the ship, and Zapp family will travel to Rajasthan and Agra, and fly to South Africa. The car is expected to reach South Africa in 4 weeks.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z1.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z2.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z3.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z4.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z5.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z6.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z7.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-z8.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2012, 14:15   #68
BHPian

The Zapp family is in North India now, Jaisalmer when I last heard from Hermann. Anyway, when I heard that they were coming to Delhi also, I smsed the news to a number of bhpians in Delhi about meeting up with the family, and three responded too! The family is expected to be here between April 25th and May 1st.

HMCI has also been informed, and Mr. Diljeet Titus being the enthusiast that he is, immediately offered to organise a get-together with the Zapps. I haven't heard from him since a few days, but I'm sure something exciting must be brewing. Am looking forward to hearing the Zapps' story first-hand. Unfortunately the Graham Paige has already been shipped to Durban, so it's absence would be a dampener for sure. The North India heat could prove to be somewhat of a cooling agent as well!

Maybe, folks reading this (from out of Delhi as well, of course) and interested in meeting up could respond. DT said it would be all-inclusive in any case and not closed to HMCI-members only.
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Very nice Prabal, and do not forget to post pictures when you have an event.
As a suggestion only, since their car is already swimming, why not have some 7 seater Limo at the venue to be representative of their Graham-Paige, or try to manage a Graham Paige to be there even if it is a tourer. The Zapp family without a car is like a bird without wings.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
do not forget to post pictures when you have an event. Cheers harit
Thanks, Harit. Having another Graham Paige at the venue is a good idea too. We even thought of involving the Argentinian Ambassador and exploring the possibility of having the embassy as a venue. But I'm a little worried about the event, because DT has been unreachable since 10 days or so, not replying to emails either, possibly caught up with the Italians vs Fishermen case, and nobody else is really coming forward to help either
Old 26th April 2012, 01:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Thanks, Harit. Having another Graham Paige at the venue is a good idea too. We even thought of involving the Argentinian Ambassador and exploring the possibility of having the embassy as a venue. But I'm a little worried about the event, because DT has been unreachable since 10 days or so, not replying to emails either, possibly caught up with the Italians vs Fishermen case, and nobody else is really coming forward to help either

I would love to meet them and hear their story. Please let me know about the meet. Please let me know if i could help with anything.

Thanks

Indrojit

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th April 2012 at 01:27.
Old 29th April 2012, 15:45   #72
BHPian

Delhi has kept a date with the Zapps on the evening of Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 at the restobar called Route-04, K-2 Middle Circle, Connaught Place. Attendees are requested to fetch up by 1930 hrs (7:30pm); hopefully everybody (or most!) would make it by 8pm at least so that the evening gets underway by then. The minimum contributory amount has been kept at Rs. 1500/- per head, which would take care of the cover cost per head (starters and dinner included - milk and other spiritual stuff at extra cost on actuals across the counter!) and the purse to be presented to the Zapps from the balance.

The Graham Paige has been shipped to Durban, the Zapps' next port of call, and the car's absence is something we will miss here. But I'm sure that interacting with the Zapps would be exciting and also amongst ourselves.

Invitation has already gone out by email and sms to the regular v&c auto enthusiasts, and also to some local TBHPians; but many may not know yet. This post is to spread it out to a broader audience, even to people from other stations who would like to attend. Maybe, somebody could start a separate thread too, if it's deemed fit to do that.

Everybody is welcome, only please let me know before hand (PM me please) so that I can pass it on to the organisers to ensure that arrangements don't fall short of the numbers. Reaction time is short I do realise, but that's how the cookie is crumbling here!

Kindly spread the word amongst the likely attendees you know. The more, the merrier! Cheers!
Old 30th April 2012, 13:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Prabal, be careful of one aspect. In Mumbai we had such a good time interacting with each other that the presentation by the Zapp family started late and had to be curtailed because the food counters were closing.

You all will have a great time being regaled by their adventure stories, in our meet there was something for the better half to enjoy too.

All the best, cheers harit
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:25   #74
BHPian

Yes, v&c auto enthusiasts of Delhi, and fans of the family got to meet the Zapps last evening, at Route-04, an interesting restobar in Connaught Place. Other than the few early birds, most people started trickling in around 7:45pm. The Zapps themselves were early, despite having returned from a trip to Agra just a couple of hours before. The choice of venue was also made keeping in mind that it was close to where they were staying, so that proved convenient. And they also got a drop back later in one of the attendee's car as he was was to pass by their hotel on his way back home.

The Zapps started their presentation around 9:00 pm and kept everybody listening attentively for the following 45 odd minutes. There was fair interaction amongst all, both before and after that, and a bit within the presentation too, with the Zapps.

The attendance wasn't huge, but given the short notice, and the absence of the Graham Paige car, a number of 30 wasn't too bad either. And it was heartening to see people contributing generously to the modest purse. Of course, the contribution is also what kept many people away since it's not as much fun as free-loading for them! And then, there were also some people who genuinely couldn't attend, but sent in their contribution nonetheless. The most noteworthy amongst them was the new President of GM India, who's new in India, not much into the v&c scene here and hardly knows anybody, yet wanted to participate in the Zapps' story, so sent in his contri through a colleague who was coming. So, there are all kinds, and such events also help us get better acquainted with the true sides of people!

A few ladies who attended, apparently enjoyed the evening too. The menfolk of course had a great time; it's difficult not to be impressed by the Zapps themselves as also their amazing story. As Herman quipped to me, the last 12 years have given them one new story every day to live themselves and tell others. The Zapps were very tired, having had a long day,including the trip back from Agra a couple of hours back, but then this is their way of life, and they were quite up to it. The youngest of the two kids even fell asleep half-hanging from one of the chairs; it's amazing how undemanding and easy-to-please their children are too, an unusual phenomenon these days indeed. And Candelaria Zapp seems to be doing a good job of home tutoring them too, for they seem to be getting a good education nonetheless - the eldest boy, all of 10, is aware and very articulate; and the younger three are showing similar traits already.

The Zapps were also presented with a book, made of handcrafted Indian paper, that we wrote our individual messages on the pages of. Candelaria Zapp repeated a few times that this was the first time they'd received something like that anywhere, so apparently they were pleased with it.

The attendees were not affiliated to any club or association in particular, although the networks did help in getting the lot together. Mr. S.B. Jatti, Shivraj Anand, Saurabh Vats, Tutu Dhawan, another person who wishes to stay incognito and I were the TBHPians who participated. Be rest assured, many more Tbhpians were told; I'm glad a few at least responded to say they can't make it, with credible justification or not!

The next morning, that is today, the Zapps also dropped in on one of the attendees of last evening, Mr. Titu Sharma (who'd also dropped them back last evening - he's in the pink shirt in the second pic) for some tea and refreshments and also to see his 1928 Graham Paige!

Here are a few pics of the evening to start with, in no particular order (the pics themselves are saved with description so that'll give some idea of the composition) ...
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-mama-zapp-three-kids_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-audience-cars-wall_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-cande-herman-zapp-charanjit-singh-listening-titu-sharma_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-herman-zapp-ajay-kapur-shivraj-anand_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-herman-zapp-rajender-kashyap_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-herman-andcande-zapp-giving-talk-nsingh-listening_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-herman-zapp-atul-p-anand-traun-thakral_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-milk-bar_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-ronojoy-introducing_resized.jpg  

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-tehue-wallaby-zapp_resized.jpg  

Old 4th November 2012, 07:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Eons before the Zapps.....

Spark Your Dream - the amazing story of the Zapp family and their 1928 Graham Paige-bombay-around-world-car.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks