Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 08:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Car Drive to Mahabaleshwar - 2nd Edition (Nov/Dec 2012)

The mahableshwar run is fast approaching and with a excellent response to the second edition of this run, i thought i would prepare something to get the drivers into the mood. This year between 16 -17 cars will attempt the run and the total distance covered over two days will be roughly 600 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Car Drive to Mahabaleshwar - 2nd Edition (Nov/Dec 2012)-image1853366023.jpg  

Last edited by the mole : 5th November 2012 at 08:28.
the mole is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 20:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage Car Drive to Mahabaleshwar - 2nd Edition (Nov/Dec 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The mahableshwar run is fast approaching and with a excellent response to the second edition of this run, i thought i would prepare something to get the drivers into the mood. This year between 16 -17 cars will attempt the run and the total distance covered over two days will be roughly 600 kms.
Thanks Amol. I'm really looking forward to it, I will be joining in my ratty-tatty 57 Fiat. The weather should be fantastic (though I wonder what morning starts will be like for the cars in the cold?). Lets plan a drive to Panchgani on one of the days, the road is a real pleasure.
Old 6th November 2012, 08:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville

Thanks Amol. I'm really looking forward to it, I will be joining in my ratty-tatty 57 Fiat. The weather should be fantastic (though I wonder what morning starts will be like for the cars in the cold?). Lets plan a drive to Panchgani on one of the days, the road is a real pleasure.
Yes panchgani would be truly wonderful, and who best to guide us but you. Whatever you plan make sure we are back for our meals at the club. I think the weather will be quite chilly so driving around the open roads will be amazing fun. We will have to take care of low visiblity on some of the stretches because of foggy conditions.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Feel Very Sad, will have to miss this one!! Have a family wedding on those days and cant avoid. Have fun, enjoy the drive and the weather.
Last years run will remain in memory.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Gosh Scooby, How will our guys survive without their most popular bar tender? Panchgani is a nightmare as far as parking is concerned. Our cars will attract more than normal attention so unless we have secured parking, I do not think its a good idea. What we could do perhaps, is drive up to tableland for a photo shoot one evening, when the sky changes colours, a sight that always makes for a lovely background for any picture.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 12:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

I'll be joining in on this one (as a passenger). Looking forward to it!

I'm also hoping to take some great pictures and perhaps a bit of video too

Will the route be Wai or Mahad?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th November 2012 at 12:55.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 13:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I'll be joining in on this one (as a passenger). Looking forward to it!

I'm also hoping to take some great pictures and perhaps a bit of video too

Will the route be Wai or Mahad?

cya
R
Wai and look forward. The responsibility is yours now for the shots. Cheers with whom would you be coming
Old 9th November 2012, 13:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rehaan and all - don't even think of Mahad Poladpur Mahabaleshwar. I was there testing day before yesterday. The Poladpur Mahabaleshwar sector is completely broken, it will be terrible for the classic cars.

I would love to join, please let me know all details. Bulldogji - finally look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 13:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The responsibility is yours now for the shots.
Really looking forward to it!

If things go well, i'll put together a little video too.

Not sure who's car i'll be in - but will probably be staying with Karl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Don't even think of Mahad Poladpur Mahabaleshwar. I was there testing day before yesterday.
Thanks for the update DB.

(Unrelated: I recently had the change to go up to Mahableshwar via the Satara ghat and absolutely loved it)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th November 2012 at 14:07. Reason: Adding reply to other question
Old 9th November 2012, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Same here Behram. Personally, I have always enjoyed racing up from Poladpur, but post monsoons the roads were terrible even thirty years ago, and by the time some sort of repairs were carried out, the next monsoons had arrived. But what a lovely ghat, especially during the rains. You hardly came across one car or a stray ST bus. Even the toll naka used to be boarded up for the rains. Going up from Poona on the other hand was quite boring, at least to me, except of course the ghat up from Khopoli, with the delightful S bend. Gone are the days when you had to beware of boulders strewn on the roads, left behind by trucks which had stalled. Modern cars, coupled with expressways, at least for me, has made driving quite monotonous. When was the last time we saw lines of bullock carts trundling along, making overtaking a hazardous task? Or cars with bonnets open cooling down, or waiting for the vapour lock to disperse? Those were the days.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
...This year between 16 -17 cars will attempt the run ...
Can you update us with the list of cars that are likely to attend (or better yet, pictures of them; for vintage-clueless folks like me who will not know what certain names even look like )

cy
R
Old 20th November 2012, 17:16   #12
BHPian

Hi Rehaan, I will most probably be driving a 1949 Buick.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 17:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Rehaan, I will most probably be driving a 1949 Buick.
Would be a treat to see the pictures of this car !
Old 20th November 2012, 18:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Can you update us with the list of cars that are likely to attend (or better yet, pictures of them; for vintage-clueless folks like me who will not know what certain names even look like )

cy
R
HI Rehaan I am happy that you are joining us that way we have a representative from Team BHP who can moderate some of our discussions

Anyways as you are aware many of the guys have not decided which car from their garage they would like to drive as of yet but let me start with who have already confirm. I will not list the names of the owners and as the thread progresses we will know who owns what car. So here it goes

lets start with Bulldogji

1949 Buick, 1956 Mercedes Ponton (me), 1957 Fiat, Packard clipper coupe, Dodge custom Royal, Jaguar Mk 7, VW beetle Convertible, Buick Super 8, Mercedes 500SL (W 107), 1947 Plymouth, Dodge Kingsway Convertible, 20HP Rolls Royce, 280 SL Mercedes Pagoda, Fiat Spider convertible, VW camper van by Westfalia and so on

in all there are 19 cars and everyone has confirmed so that's 7 more cars than last time around.
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well countdown begins and next week this time we should be well on our way to mahableshwar. So get your cars checked and supplies in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Car Drive to Mahabaleshwar - 2nd Edition (Nov/Dec 2012)-image1296755404.jpg  

the mole is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks