Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 18:40   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

This is the car I am referring to, posted earlier by John.

KOLKATA - Daily Drivers found on the streets.-rover13.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 01:33   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is the car I am referring to, posted earlier by John.

Attachment 358239
A photograph of the rear would be good and apart from that if we see in the picture uploaded by Anjan the car in that picture looks blue/purple rather than grey.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:04   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Saw this 1940's Rover in grey a few days back when I was in Kolkata. The scene is from Gariahat Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The car in this photograph isn't a Rover of the 40's but the Citroen 15/6 Restored at our garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car posted by Anjan is no Citroen, but indeed a Rover, around 1947, grey colour. Probably owned by Ghosh, WBB regd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Karl, i beg to differ but in this pic the car doesn't look like grey and neither is the number plate visible that you can say for sure it is WBB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is the car I am referring to, posted earlier by John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
A photograph of the rear would be good and apart from that if we see in the picture uploaded by Anjan the car in that picture looks blue/purple rather than grey.
The car Anjan posted is postively no Citroen. From what little is visible, it is quite possible that the car is a Rover as dimensions match, placement of the fuel filler cap matches. And if Anjan says he saw a Rover, I believe him. He wouldn't confuse it with a Citroen. On the basis of his description, I've posted what I think is the only grey 47(ish) Rover running around in Calcutta, which happens to be WBB regd. Elementary my dear Watson.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 17:24   #49
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

What about those numerous landmasters and rovers that existed on the kolkata streets shown in many old movies.

That car posted by Anjan is a Rover, one such piece is dis-integrating in Bangalore, but for sale at an atrocious price.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 31st May 2010 at 17:31. Reason: off topic
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:28   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car Anjan posted is postively no Citroen. From what little is visible, it is quite possible that the car is a Rover as dimensions match, placement of the fuel filler cap matches. And if Anjan says he saw a Rover, I believe him. He wouldn't confuse it with a Citroen. On the basis of his description, I've posted what I think is the only grey 47(ish) Rover running around in Calcutta, which happens to be WBB regd. Elementary my dear Watson.

Well I still don't agree but anyway its alright . No offence ment
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 22:40   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well I still don't agree but anyway its alright . No offence ment
Indrojit and Karl Indeed it was a Rover and a Rover only.I had indeed seen the whole car passing from quite near me. Just as I was carrying my camera in a bag, the time taken to set it to click was indeed so much that the car passed away and I could only take that picture of its rear.This always happens with me whenever there is something that's fit for photography.
Indrojit the picture of the Citreon you had restored in your garage has lots of chrome and looks a bit gorgeous with so much of shine and chrome work.The one I saw was quite austere looking and the looks match with the picture posted by Karl-that grey one.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st May 2010 at 22:48.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:05   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Indrojit and Karl Indeed it was a Rover and a Rover only.I had indeed seen the whole car passing from quite near me. Just as I was carrying my camera in a bag, the time taken to set it to click was indeed so much that the car passed away and I could only take that picture of its rear.This always happens with me whenever there is something that's fit for photography.
Indrojit the picture of the Citreon you had restored in your garage has lots of chrome and looks a bit gorgeous with so much of shine and chrome work.The one I saw was quite austere looking and the looks match with the picture posted by Karl-that grey one.

Sir then i am sorry . Waited for you to clarify but saw no replies for a long time and then Me and karl had an argument over it. Anyway its all over now and i take my words back .

Cheers
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:50   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir then i am sorry . Waited for you to clarify but saw no replies for a long time and then Me and karl had an argument over it. Anyway its all over now and i take my words back .

Cheers
Thanks Indrojit.It was a very, very rare misjudgement from someone like you, who has seen the best cars being restored, to which many of us are not privy.Hope to learn more and more from you.Regards Anjan C.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:50   #54
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

I took the photo of this grey Rover three years ago at Sanjay Ghoshs works and belongs to a customer of his.

Very well restored and one that I would like to have in my garage, space & budget permitting!
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 03:16   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Indrojit.It was a very, very rare misjudgement from someone like you, who has seen the best cars being restored, to which many of us are not privy.Hope to learn more and more from you.Regards Anjan C.
We are human and bound to make mistakes. But when we do then we should just own up and not stay quite. Sorry for this again.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default

Mr Shailen Manna, a world class football player of the 1950's from Kolkata owned a black, early 1950's Hindusthan 14 (regn. no. WBF 1522) which he used to drive himself for a long, long time guess till the 1980's or maybe early 1990's.
Not sure whether he still owns the car though he is very much alive and well and an octogenarian now.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 11:42   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Indrojit and Karl Indeed it was a Rover and a Rover only.I had indeed seen the whole car passing from quite near me. Just as I was carrying my camera in a bag, the time taken to set it to click was indeed so much that the car passed away and I could only take that picture of its rear.This always happens with me whenever there is something that's fit for photography.
Indrojit the picture of the Citreon you had restored in your garage has lots of chrome and looks a bit gorgeous with so much of shine and chrome work.The one I saw was quite austere looking and the looks match with the picture posted by Karl-that grey one.
>>> I went through the posts on Rover vs Citroen with considerable interest. My one pence worth and a query for the experts here :

The Citroen seems to have a sloping rear end (with a sloping bustle trunk) whereas the Rover in the long shot seems to have a more upright rear - C pillar- if I can call it that. Also the Rover doesn't seem to have the two handles on the tyre trunk that the Citroen has. It is not possble for me to see as to whether the Rover has the two red rear lamps and the chrome lettering on the rhs which the Citroen has. These are simply visual differences, without any understanding of the 'signatures' of the two marques.

Refering to anjan_c2007's text that I've emphasised in bold above, it must require great knowledge and study to distinguish between a Rover and a Citroen, especially from the back ( I am assuming that anjan missed the Rover's front when he was trying to get his camera). Is it possible to distinguish pre-1939 cars and their models by merely looking at the rear end?

Experts, please let us know.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 19:30   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

Refering to anjan_c2007's text that I've emphasised in bold above, it must require great knowledge and study to distinguish between a Rover and a Citroen, especially from the back ( I am assuming that anjan missed the Rover's front when he was trying to get his camera). Is it possible to distinguish pre-1939 cars and their models by merely looking at the rear end?

Experts, please let us know.

Regards
In fact, I had seen the whole car pass by me front, side and back just about 4-5 feet away from where I was standing, while on a morning walk. The picture as I have already said many a time could be clicked only when the car had passed by and so the rear has appeared.But the frontal Rover grille, side bodyline and rear are all etched till this day on my hard disc.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 00:11   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Not that I'm trying to add fuel to the fire, but the curious case of the Rover / Citroen is indeed throwing up enlightening results.
Without a doubt it is a Rover, but the similarities are amazing - Including the dual handles on the boot (not visible in the said photo of course !!).

As Issigonis rightly pointed out, it's the slightly sloping and 'relaxed' profile of the French vis-a-vis the upright stance of the Brit that may have been the giveaway.
Attached Images
  
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 11:37   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

SuperSelect,

The pics that you've posted clarifies enormously - thank you.

Speaking as a rank spectator, I can 'see' the following differences between the two marques :

1. Radiator grille & monogram
2. Windscreen wiper position
3. Sloping C pillar of the Citroen vis-vis the upright C pillar of the Rover
4. Shape of the mudguards ( especially the rear mudguard)
There are a few other, possibly lesser differences.

I think one has to look at a lot of these previous generation cars to spot the marque in a twinkling - I confess I find it difficult, rather impossible to do, unless the visual cue is very distinctive, such as the Doric ( I hope I know my Greek architecture Super) radiator grille of a Rolls, or that of a Bugatti or the mudguard of a Duesenburg.

I guess I have to be a voyeur for a long time..

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Streets of Mumbai - PC Racing Game (EDIT : Pics of cars added!) spiff Gadgets, Computers & Software 53 30th October 2009 22:49
Delhi to sweep streets clean of 15 year old cars sukiwa The Indian Car Scene 24 19th April 2008 14:28
Will the matter be decided on the streets than in the courts ... sam_78 Shifting gears 14 7th November 2006 16:35
NFS, Steet Racing and death on the streets amit Street Experiences 9 29th January 2006 07:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks