Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 13:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manu , yes this is an awesome car
About the brake issue ,this seems to be a peculiar issue ..i would suggest you have the brake pads checked once ..it is possible that they are getting worn out ..and Benny's hunch is another possibility .
Whatever said , brakes is one thing I would never advise you to take a chance on , please have them checked asap , btw ...i assume the brake oil level has been checked ....
Old 18th August 2007, 16:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Manu , yes this is an awesome car
About the brake issue ,this seems to be a peculiar issue ..i would suggest you have the brake pads checked once ..it is possible that they are getting worn out ..and Benny's hunch is another possibility .
Whatever said , brakes is one thing I would never advise you to take a chance on , please have them checked asap , btw ...i assume the brake oil level has been checked ....
thanks sammy,
will get it checked on sunday and let you know guys what it was.

thanks again.
manu
Old 19th August 2007, 12:56   #48
BHPian

Guys,

I do agree with benny, my 1.3 flair 2006 too returns an FE btw 11-13 with all time a/c.

However at times when in hurry FE tends to drop and is mainly on eractic driving , uneven gear changes, higher rpm. During such case I had days when my Ikon dropped to 9.

Also image of 1.6 FE is carried over to flair as well, however the cost of spares is still same higher ;-). Treat it well, and u ll get the best.

My observation on Ikon's suspension is stiff when its single/two driven, on the other habd when one drive with alteast 3-5 people on board belive me the suspension work really good( Mind correct tyre pressure palys key role here).

Cheers!!!
Old 8th December 2008, 12:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Updating the thread after a looooong time. Have clocked 35k kms and had my first breakdown on saturday night. Was on Bannergatta road, got a call so parked the car on the side to pick up the phone and the car just refused to start after that.
Cranked again and again, no go. Was pretty sure that the battery would have given up as I could feel the performance of the battery deteriorating for some time.

Called up Benny for the ford assistance number as the one that I had wasnt going thru. Thanks again Ben
First thing they asked me was if I had enrolled for the roadside assistance program.
I hadnt so all they could offer was a tow truck to tow the car to lahtangi for 1100 bucks. It was post 8pm so that would have been futile.

Gave them a piece of my mind and asked them to give me the emergency number for metro ford. Called the guy who advised me to call the emergency lahtangi number as that would be closer. Took the number and dialled, the guy asked some basic questions, he was also convinced that the battery has given up.

He came over in about 40 min with a spare battery, changed it and voila the car started. Gave him rs 350 (standard emergency charge) and drove back home. It was post 9 so no shops were open to get a new battery.

Sunday - Started the car and thankfully it started, took it straight to the first shop I could find. Put a new Amaron flo battery (5k after exchange) 48 months warranty.

One issue I am facing now is the stereo has stopped playing. All functions are fine but no sound from the system. Will go and have it checked as soon as I am able to.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:08   #50
BHPian

fuse might have blown :-)
Old 8th December 2008, 13:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yeah bullboy that is what I thought too, strangely everything else is working fine. All lights, stereo is powering on but no sound :( will check the fuse again and see
Old 9th December 2008, 14:04   #52
Team-BHP Support

Hey Samarth, good to know that help reached you quick. Its a different matter you were stranded close to Lathangi, which made sure you werent waiting long.

As for the music system, is it playing tracks from a CD, or picking up the radio signals? I think it may be something to do with the connection to the speakers. Check the fuse box for anything amiss.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:04   #53
BHPian

it looks like Ikon eats more batteries than any other car
Old 9th December 2008, 15:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben thanks I have checked all fuses and each and everyone of them is fine.
Everything is switching on, I can change tracks of the CD, switch to radio but no sound.
Checked the manual, it says "CD playing but no sound" -- Check the earthing of the battery. So I am guessing the guy who installed the batt did not do a good job.
I have been planning to change the cabling of the speakers to better ones . Got basic cabling done when i got the system installed as had no idea about these things.
Will visit a good installer and hopefully both things can be corrected at one time I guess .Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I cant really comment on that but I think 3.5 years for a battery is acceptable.

Last edited by sammyboy : 9th December 2008 at 15:06.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:10   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Do you have another known instances of this happening, or is it an opinion you formed based on this one incident?
Old 20th December 2008, 19:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Drove down to Pondy couple of weeks back . The car performed excellent as usual. The only issue was stereo is still not working so had to use Wifey's nokia for music But that wasnt too bad.
Managed to touch 155kmph yes, on a slope but was awesome as I touched this speed for the first time. Backed off after a couple of seconds and maintained a self imposed limit of 120kmph.

While coming back left Pondy at 12:30pm and was home at 6:00 pm on the dot. No stops anywhere.
Avg for the trip: 15 kmpl .. I am loving it
Old 20th December 2008, 21:05   #57
BHPian

I also think that there is a general misconception about ikons sipping a lot of fuel, I consistently get 15+ kmpl om my highway trips with 100% AC while cruising at 100-120 kmph.
Old 21st December 2008, 05:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

You are right bro. I never drive without ac and 15 is the minimum i got over this trip so rounded it off . Next things to do are change tires to a drives and change wiring for ice oh and yes install tri phase finally . Been wanting to do that for the last 6 months or so . Already have it but keep postponing it
Old 27th March 2009, 02:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

ok, so the car just crossed 38 k and had its first "real" puncture. Real because the last time it was a really really small leak which kept losing air every few days. This time, I was parking at the basement of the office and saw the tyre losing air, had a call so prayed that it doesnt get a flat and went to work. Thankfully it stayed ok till I reached home. Next day morning I see a flat. No problemo, I think. Try to take the wheel cover out. 5 minutes and its still there. 10 minutes and I am losing my patience. 15 minutes and I lose it, kick, pull crack it in 3 places. 20 minutes later, take a break, have some water and attack it with all my might. Then, it comes out, whew.

Now its the simple part, open the nuts (of the wheel ) and thats it. Do that and try to pull the tyre out. Its stuck. Doesnt move whatever I do.
Its been 30 minutes. Kick from the outside, get under the car and push it from the inside. No go. 40 minutes down, wifey comes down to check what I am upto, with a bottle of water. Tell her that its all cool, I am on it (Hell I am a bhpian).
Ask her to get some oil while I curse under my breath. She gets the oil, put it over the bolts and hang on for 10 more minutes. I have been trying for an hour now.

Wifey says, give up. Go to office in the auto and come back and work on it.
I dont know what to do, have been kicking, pulling, pushing with all my might all this while but nothing is working.

Its been 1 hour and 15 minutes, I am almost at the end of my strength.

Hell, I am a tbhpian, we dont give up. Take a deep breath, pull with all that I have. It moves a lil. Then pull from the top, then pull from the bottom of the tyre. Slowly it starts getting loose. I scrape my fingers, a lil bit of blood but that only gets me more mad.
Pull and pull again. Finally after 1 and a half hours I get the tyre out.
5 minutes later the car is on the stepney. Wifey gives me a " there is another tbhp moment" look and I give her the victory sign.

Tyre has been changed. Thank you tbhp. You just gave me the strength to change the tyre.

Whew.
Old 27th March 2009, 10:22   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
ok, so the car just crossed 38 k and had its first "real" puncture. Real because the last time it was a really really small leak which kept losing air every few days.
---------
Tyre has been changed. Thank you tbhp. You just gave me the strength to change the tyre.

Whew.

Man, that's an experience!! When the tyre is stuck like that, instead of hitting it blindly, hit the top part of the tyre, then the bottoom. Do this repeatedly a few times and it will certainly come out. In less than 90 mins for sure!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th March 2009 at 11:19. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire large post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks