Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2006, 21:06   #1
BHPian

Offroading in and around Mumbai?

Hey guys,

One of my landrovers has just been finished. Problem is that stuff on it has to be tested; life, rear acle, engine, tyres, diff, suspension etc. etc. My normal haunt is up north near corbette, problem is the park and other places are closing. Car has about 20 days for completion, just paint work left and winch to be fitted.

So I need some place where I can take her off roading nearby...by off roading i mean serious off roading. Check out some off my earlier post to know what im refering to.

I need a place around mumbai, so im in close proximity to my garage.

Just a small hint : this beats my blue silver defender. Its powered by a v8 gmc engine. Can possibly even climb a vertical wall...

GTO: dude i guess you will know some place so please let me know..You are welcome to join me also. Pics I'll post later. Need to keep things in the closet for now.

cheers

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2009 at 12:02. Reason: dotty post warning, check rule#12
Old 3rd May 2006, 09:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

xtreme_power

Got two options for you:

1. Silvasa backroads. Excellent and very difficult off-roading terrain.

2. Igatpuri farmlands. Right after the ghats.

I would not recommend taking just one 4x4 and going, since the areas are very isolated with no help at all if you get stuck. June is a big month for me, and the earliest I could join you with my Jeep is July-end.

GTO
Old 3rd May 2006, 10:18   #3
BHPian

thanks gto......let me know about the silvassa road in some more deail plzzzz..
i would normally go with 4 to 5 cars..........u can join along even without ur ride....

cheers allan
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

u can drive to mahableshwar and from there take a route through the mountains which the locals know ....my friend had done it in his 4WD gypsy
Old 14th May 2008, 16:44   #5

mumbai Off roading scene

hi
I love driving... and i really don't have this need for speed... its more being one with my machine and gettin my hands dirty while i try to take on mother nature...
i was wondering if there is a off roading scene here in mumbai..
i would love to be a part of it.. equipment is not a problem..
oh but mus warn u i haven't eva done somethin like this before...but i'm willin to give it a shot...

adios

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th May 2008 at 20:59.
Old 14th May 2008, 20:51   #6
BHPian

Zeus,

A couple of us are planning an off-roading trip in the first half of July. Most probably, we will end up for a weekend in Panchgani. Why dont you join us? Search with the forum to find the thread.

Also, I must advise you to type in full and proper english. SMS / Short form language is strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

allan, which one is this now?? is it the same camel trophy?
dude if you are planning to go on a weekend i am game for it. got my car ready with new paint job.
Old 27th June 2008, 08:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
xtreme_power

Got two options for you:

I would not recommend taking just one 4x4 and going, since the areas are very isolated with no help at all if you get stuck. June is a big month for me, and the earliest I could join you with my Jeep is July-end.

GTO

hey GTO, we are desperatly looking out for few more places nearby could you please throw some light about these two spots..

how is terrain?? whats the best way to reach there??
Old 27th June 2008, 13:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure thing, PDev.

Quote:
You will need to make this an overnighter. Ideally, leave Saturday morning, offroad all of afternoon (sat & sunday) and come back Sunday night. There are some decent resorts in Silvassa. IIRC, we had stayed in Ras Resorts. Let me know when you are going, I could try sourcing the Great Escape route map for you. It had some pretty challenging sections.

Quote:
This one, well....there really isn't a fixed place. Pass Manas resorts and drive for 10 - 15 kms (toward Nasik). Then, wherever you see an opportunity, take a right onto the greens and keep driving South. There isn't a fixed route out here. Muck, rocks, hills and mountains, the world is your playground. Please ensure that you carry towing hooks and there is atleast one more 4x4 accompanying you. Depending on how far you go, there really is no one around to pull you out. If you guys are up to it, take some camping equipment and food along. Park in the middle of nowhere and make it an all nighter.
Old 28th June 2008, 09:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

hey thanks man, sounds good.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:15   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Hrag, I wasn't aware of offroad terrain around there. Can you please share detailed directions (preferably in a separate thread)? Thanks
Not sure my details warrant a separate thread but here goes:

From Panvel, head towards Goa - after Kolad, turn left towards Vile and Tamhini. Ignore all the turn offs to Alibag, Pali & Roha on the Panvel - Goa road.

From Pune - Chandini Chowk, head towards Paud (same as Lavassa Road - Technocrat should have details). Ignore the turn off towards Lonavala and turn left at the fork in the road just before the Mulshi dam / park. The left fork is called Tata Gate locally and heads towards Mulshi, Tamhini, Dawadi, Nive and ultimately Kolad.

You must be aware that all this land (not sure how much exactly) belongs to Tata Power but they have recently opened up the road to the public. If you have contacts within Tata Power, best option is to ask if you can explore tracks on the non-Mulshi Lake side of the road.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:14   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Hrag! Sounds like a spot (subject to permission from Tata Power that is).

I suggest we continue with some recces in:

1. Lonavla & Khandala (lots more spots within a 40 km radius)

2. Igatpuri & Nasik (Behram could help with spots)

3. Panchgani (2 - 3 day holiday included )

4. Silvasa (2 day trip at the minimum. Best to leave on sat morning and drive back home on sunday evening)

5. Goa? (5 - 7 days of offroading, if there are spots enough. Bangy guys can join in their monsters as well).
Old 24th March 2009, 19:15   #13
BHPian

All my kind of fun! GTO, extreme power, et al, I am looking forward to the Silvassa and/or Lonavala section. Tell me when!
Old 26th March 2009, 22:57   #14
BHPian

If I can I would love to be it's part. Daman ganga resort opposite to Ras Resorts belongs to one of my friend's friend and if required we can bargain a deal over there or just stay in one of farmhouse of my friend ( if you are ready to forego the luxries), it is a basic roof over head kind of stuff.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2009 at 03:45. Reason: wud = would. Please avoid SMS language. Thanks.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:51   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just adding this thread here as I'd like to maintain a central directory of OTR places around Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks